PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Rodriguez loses 22 pounds, hmmm...

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 04:03 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=4680Latest News Feb. 19, 2005 - 3:22 am et

Ivan Rodriguez showed up at camp weighing 193 pounds, the lightest he's been since his rookie year.
This won't quiet the steroids talk. Rodriguez said he played last year at 215 pounds. He thinks carrying less weight will prevent him from wearing down in the second half of the season. Those drafting him will just have to hope he didn't sacrifice any strength.

Source: Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/tigers19e_20050219.htm)Is Canseco telling the truth? :?:

cubhater
02-19-2005, 05:09 AM
It's the beginning of the media's now annual 'who lost the most weight once getting off the juice during the off season' witch hunt.

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 05:25 AM
It's the beginning of the media's now annual 'who lost the most weight once getting off the juice during the off season' witch hunt.True, but 22 pounds is an awful lot of weight to lose in the offseason. And considering Canseco's accusations, it does appear to be quite fishy.

idseer
02-19-2005, 07:54 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=4680Is Canseco telling the truth? :?:

of COURSE he's telling the truth.

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 07:56 AM
of COURSE he's telling the truth.Are you serious or did you mean to put that in teal?

idseer
02-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Are you serious or did you mean to put that in teal?

i am serious. of course it's only my opinion, but why else would jose single out guys like pudge?
this has already been discussed so i won't keep it going. i was just answering your question even if it was rhetorical.

samram
02-19-2005, 08:01 AM
It's the beginning of the media's now annual 'who lost the most weight once getting off the juice during the off season' witch hunt.

'Witch hunt' implies the media is looking for something that most likely doesn't exist, but hopes it finds because it would be a great story. In this case, every guy who shows up significantly lighter is under suspicion and rightfully so. Why would a guy who hit .350 decide he has to change his physique the following season? The durability excuse doesn't fly.

nccwsfan
02-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Wait until Pudge has some type of wacky injury....like throwing his back out sneezing. Hmmmm................

Maximo
02-19-2005, 09:34 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=4680Is Canseco telling the truth? :?:

Well.....it has been the cold and flu season.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-19-2005, 10:07 AM
We'll know by June who the users were. Guys will simply fall apart. Intestinal parasites, a hard sneeze, NBA type backstrains that put a guy on the dl for three weeks at a time. Barry Bonds won't even fit into his body armor. These guys may not end up like John Matuszak, Lyle Alzado, or pro wrestler Davey Boy Smith, all dead, but me thinks they'll pay a very high price for a few years of glory. Serious health problems await these guys as they get older.

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 10:29 AM
We'll know by June who the users were. Guys will simply fall apart. Intestinal parasites, a hard sneeze, NBA type backstrains that put a guy on the dl for three weeks at a time. Barry Bonds won't even fit into his body armor. These guys may not end up like John Matuszak, Lyle Alzado, or pro wrestler Davey Boy Smith, all dead, but me thinks they'll pay a very high price for a few years of glory. Serious health problems await these guys as they get older.Don't forget "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig and "Ravishing" Rick Rude.

R.I.P. guys...
http://www.petitepowerlifter.com/curtandrick89.jpg

RKMeibalane
02-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Don't forget "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig and "Ravishing" Rick Rude.

R.I.P. guys...

Wow. I didn't realize that Rick Rude was dead.

BTW, thinking about the problems of steroids and professional wrestling, does anyone else besides me see the similarities between Frank Thomas and someone like Mark Colloway (The Undertaker)? 'Taker was fairly outspoken about the steroid problem during the early '90s, back when Hogan, Savage, Flair, etc. left for WCW, and Vince McMahon was being investigated by the government.

Now that the problem has spread to baseball, we have Frank Thomas speaking out. And, like UT with the WWE, Frank has been a loyal employee of the Sox organization.

Mickster
02-19-2005, 10:46 AM
BTW, thinking about the problems of steroids and professional wrestling, does anyone else besides me see the similarities between Frank Thomas and someone like Mark Colloway (The Undertaker)? 'Taker was fairly outspoken about the steroid problem during the early '90s, back when Hogan, Savage, Flair, etc. left for WCW, and Vince McMahon was being investigated by the government.

Now that the problem has spread to baseball, we have Frank Thomas speaking out. And, like UT with the WWE, Frank has been a loyal employee of the Sox organization.

*shudders* I'd rather not compare the MLB to WWF, thank you.

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Wow. I didn't realize that Rick Rude was dead.

Now that the problem has spread to baseball, we have Frank Thomas speaking out. And, like UT with the WWE, Frank has been a loyal employee of the Sox organization.That comparison is close but not quite. Vince McMahon was actually distributing steroids to his wrestlers AND taking them himself. That would be the equivalent of Bud Selig taking and distributing steroids to MLB players. :tongue: Selig may have swept the steroid issue under the rug but I doubt he gave out roids to players.

The Wimperoo
02-19-2005, 12:02 PM
It's all about a better diet. He must have went on Giambi's eating habits from last offseason.

santo=dorf
02-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Nobody was comparing the Sox to the World Wildlife Fund. :D:

gosox41
02-19-2005, 12:09 PM

I think there's more truth then lies to what Canseco is saying. Why implicate players if he has no reason to? Especially if he implicates guys that already have admitte (Giambi) or people were very suspicious of anyway? I don't think he's selling more books because Pudge is named/not named. I doubt it's coincidence that the steriod scandal happens, a book is written, and many players are coming to camp 15-20 LBS lighter because it'll help them more.

Was Pudge even fat last year or was he muscle?

Bob

JGarlandrules20
02-19-2005, 01:10 PM
True, but 22 pounds is an awful lot of weight to lose in the offseason. And considering Canseco's accusations, it does appear to be quite fishy.
Carl Everett lost like 20lbs this offseason. He must be on steroids too.

samram
02-19-2005, 01:15 PM

That's a valid point, but I don't think Everett's name was mentioned in the book. It doesn't mean that he never tried them, but seeing that Canseco wasn't sparing anyone, his name probably would have come up if he had.

santo=dorf
02-19-2005, 01:42 PM

The difference is Everett was overweight and loss the weight, and I-Roid was mentioned in Jose's book, and he was in shape last season.

SoxFan76
02-19-2005, 04:40 PM

You must not know much about wrestling.

wsoxfan
02-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Everett was out of shape and needed to drop the pounds, Ozzie even told him to or he wouldn't be playing much this year. I don't recall anyone mentioning Rodriguez being out of shape last year. There's no reason for someone to lose all that weight and change their workout regimen after having such a good season....

ja1022
02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Everett was out of shape and needed to drop the pounds, Ozzie even told him to or he wouldn't be playing much this year.

Regarding Everett, there was a quote from Ozzie in the paper today saying, "He knows if he doesn't show up in shape he is going to be my next bench coach."

StillMissOzzie
02-19-2005, 05:49 PM
The Giambi diet.

Yeah, if I had to pick out who's lying in this quagmire, I'd have to plug my nose and pick Jose aver the list of suspects accused in his book. The people who accuse Jose of lying say that he's just trying to sell a book, but the deny-ers have much more $$$ at stake than Jose does.

SMO
:gulp:

doublem23
02-19-2005, 05:57 PM

What do you have against the World Wildlife Fund? :tongue:

gosox41
02-19-2005, 06:51 PM

Carl has little heart. He let himself get fat and lazy after signing that 2 year contract with the Expos. Now he's playing for free agency or the Sox to pick up his option. If Carl ever does sign another multiyear guaranteed contract I expect him to pork up until it's the last season in the contract and then he'll be ready to play.

Bob

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Carl has little heart. He let himself get fat and lazy after signing that 2 year contract with the Expos. Now he's playing for free agency or the Sox to pick up his option. If Carl ever does sign another multiyear guaranteed contract I expect him to pork up until it's the last season in the contract and then he'll be ready to play.

BobHmmm, you don't think that Carl's problem with injuries last season had anything to do with his weight gain? :rolleyes:

idseer
02-19-2005, 08:32 PM
The Giambi diet.

Yeah, if I had to pick out who's lying in this quagmire, I'd have to plug my nose and pick Jose aver the list of suspects accused in his book. The people who accuse Jose of lying say that he's just trying to sell a book, but the deny-ers have much more $$$ at stake than Jose does.

SMO

this post is very unclear to me. on one hand it sounds like you're saying the deny'ers have more at stake and so they're lying.
but you also seem to say if you had to pick who's lying it would be jose.

which is it?

gosox41
02-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Hmmm, you don't think that Carl's problem with injuries last season had anything to do with his weight gain? :rolleyes:

I heard reports he gained 20-25 LBS. I guess it's hard for me to belive a professional athlete is gust going to put on weight because of a couple of nagging injuries.

I graduated college in the '90's and was a lot more active then. I was far from a good athlete but tried ( and still try to) stay in shape and I'm within 5 LBS of the weight I graduated with. I'm guessing that with my desk job I do a lot less then Carl does with his injury.

Or to think of it another way, Frank has had bum ankle since July. And according Aaron Rowand, he's lost weight.

I'm not saying Carl should maintain his weight 100% if he's injured but gaining 25 pounds is a lot. Almost like he stopped caring all together. I wonder, which came first: the nagging injuries or the weight gain?

Bob

Rocklive99
02-20-2005, 12:35 AM
He went on the Jason Giambi diet

Brian26
02-20-2005, 01:41 AM

Neither death necessarily was steroid related. These guys had problems with drugs/painkillers. Rude's heart condition may have been a result of years of steroid abuse...but I don't think the autopsy ever proved conclusive either way.

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Neither death necessarily was steroid related. These guys had problems with drugs/painkillers. Rude's heart condition may have been a result of years of steroid abuse...but I don't think the autopsy ever proved conclusive either way.Both guys were admitted steroid-users. It might not have been the exact cause of death but it damn sure didn't help their health at all.

StillMissOzzie
02-20-2005, 03:43 AM
this post is very unclear to me. on one hand it sounds like you're saying the deny'ers have more at stake and so they're lying.
but you also seem to say if you had to pick who's lying it would be jose.

which is it?

I read it again and I see your confusion. I'm saying that, even though I'm not crazy about my choice, I believe that Jose is telling the truth cuz the juicers have MORE at stake by getting busted.

SMO

Hangar18
02-21-2005, 06:39 PM
That comparison is close but not quite. Vince McMahon was actually distributing steroids to his wrestlers AND taking them himself. That would be the equivalent of Bud Selig taking and distributing steroids to MLB players. :tongue: Selig may have swept the steroid issue under the rug but I doubt he gave out roids to players.

Well, per the Rogers column in yesterdays Cubune, Selig DIDNT deal syringes
and the like. However, Bud Selig (from a directive im sure) LOOKED THE OTHER WAY, and indeed Sweep the Issue under the rug.

santo=dorf
02-21-2005, 06:45 PM

Bob
Wow what an ignorant post!

Care to explain why Carl showed up early to spring training, or why he has a "we will win this year" attitude if he has little heart? :?: