PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it but...

SomebodyToldMe
02-19-2005, 02:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/deputy_of_reno/yanks.jpg

That looks like one badass rotation.

We'll see how long it lasts though :tongue:

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 02:47 AM
That's because it is. But if you want to look at the pessimistic view of the rotation...

1.) Randy Johnson - He's 42 years old and has knee problems. Will he stay healthy?

2.) Mike Mussina - Had a down year last season. Will he repeat his mediocre 2004 performance?

3.) Carl Pavano - Has been very inconsistent over the years. Will he repeat his 2004 performance?

4.) Kevin Brown - Can he stay healthy? He never seems to be able to. Especially not when he's punching walls and injuring himself.

5.) Jaret Wright - This guys screams one-year-wonder as much as his career 5.09 ERA does. He gives me visions of Esteban Loaiza in my head.

MUsoxfan
02-19-2005, 03:56 AM
That looks like one badass rotation.

I'm not so high on that rotation. RJ is an old man and words can't explain how happy I am the White Sox didn't deal for him. He'll be a good pitcher, but this year is it. Mussina doesn't impress me anymore. Brown is a timebomb. Pavano and Wright won't be able to deal with the NY pressure

SOXSINCE'70
02-19-2005, 09:02 AM
That's because it is. But if you want to look at the pessimistic view of the rotation...

1.) Randy Johnson - He's 42 years old and has knee problems. Will he stay healthy?

2.) Mike Mussina - Had a down year last season. Will he repeat his mediocre 2004 performance?

3.) Carl Pavano - Has been very inconsistent over the years. Will he repeat his 2004 performance?

4.) Kevin Brown - Can he stay healthy? He never seems to be able to. Especially not when he's punching walls and injuring himself.

5.) Jaret Wright - This guys screams one-year-wonder as much as his career 5.09 ERA does. He gives me visions of Esteban Loaiza in my head.

I'll back your view,Jabroni.Too many questions about Randy
Johnson and Kevin Brown.Also,now that Johnson and Wright
are back in the A.L.,their ERA's will go up at least a run.
And who knows what to expect from Pavano??

We'll see.

ja1022
02-19-2005, 12:25 PM
I see Johnson having problems being under the microscope in New York. He's kind of a tool to begin with and he's already off to a bad start. I have a feeling he'll end up wishing he were back in Montreal, Seattle or Arizona.

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I've been pretty pessimistic about the Yankee's rotation. At first I thought that RJ was going to start to decline this year, but his 290 K's, 2.60 ERA and .197 BAA made me think otherwise. He pitched more innings then Buehrle last year. This guy is still an ace. But overall, the BoSox's rotation scares me more.

RedPinStripes
02-19-2005, 02:09 PM
I would love to see them fall apart again. I cant wait until they suck again like they did in the mid 80's.

Mohoney
02-19-2005, 02:30 PM
I've been pretty pessimistic about the Yankee's rotation. At first I thought that RJ was going to start to decline this year, but his 290 K's, 2.60 ERA and .197 BAA made me think otherwise. He pitched more innings then Buehrle last year. This guy is still an ace. But overall, the BoSox's rotation scares me more.

I'm not so sure that the Red Cubs' rotation is that much better than ours.

I don't see David Wells winning more games than either Buehrle or Garcia, and I don't see Wakefield winning more games than El Duque. If Schilling wins less than 20, they could have problems.

SoxxoS
02-19-2005, 03:25 PM
My roommate is a member of Pardise Valley Country Club here in Arizona, where Randy Johnson is a member. They were on the putting green together and my roommate was talking to him, and Randy said he already can't stand the N.Y. media, it's worse than he imagined. He said they are everywhere.

Poor Randy. If that knee doesn't hold up the Yanks are in trouble. That rotation is good but not great, and too injury prone. We shall see.

manuelsucks
02-19-2005, 03:38 PM
The only two I'm sold on are Pavano and Johnson. Wright will be Loaiza all over again, Mussina will contiune his downward sprial and Brown will most likely punch a few things before the season begins. I see this rotation being close to the best, but they'll have some competition from Boston.

SoxSpeed22
02-19-2005, 03:57 PM

5.) Jaret Wright - This guys screams one-year-wonder as much as his career 5.09 ERA does. He gives me visions of Esteban Loaiza in my head.There will be a sucky period for them with ZERO farm system. RJ can be a hero or a villain for them, Mussina did better at the end, but is losing his stuff. Pavano, the only guy I've ever seen that was helped out by the Cubs' curse. I'm rooting for him to suck. Brown, Game7, period. Wright is Dr. Mazzone's latest project, he'll fail. Since that lineup has a crapload of all stars, it might not matter.

SOXintheBURGH
02-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Put it this way, with their line up, I see this..

1. RJ 19-8
2. Mussina 17-10
3. Pavano 18-8
4. Brown 12-11
5. Wright = Jeff Weaver

Bullpen isn't that special minus Flash and Rivera.. Yankees make the playoffs no doubt, but as the WC this year.

Ol' No. 2
02-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Put it this way, with their line up, I see this..

1. RJ 19-8
2. Mussina 17-10
3. Pavano 18-8
4. Brown 12-11
5. Wright = Jeff Weaver

Bullpen isn't that special minus Flash and Rivera.. Yankees make the playoffs no doubt, but as the WC this year.If that happened, I think they'd beat the Red Sox, but I think you're overestimating Pavano. I say 14-15 wins, tops. Also, Brown won't start more than 25 games, so he won't have 23 decisions. Put him down for 10-8. Unless they get at least 5 wins from another starter, they're not going to get much past 70 wins from their starting rotation, which is just about the minumum for a division winner. They could be ripe for the pickin' this year.

samram
02-19-2005, 11:30 PM
If that happened, I think they'd beat the Red Sox, but I think you're overestimating Pavano. I say 14-15 wins, tops. Also, Brown won't start more than 25 games, so he won't have 23 decisions. Put him down for 10-8. Unless they get at least 5 wins from another starter, they're not going to get much past 70 wins from their starting rotation, which is just about the minumum for a division winner. They could be ripe for the pickin' this year.

Maybe, but their bullpen looks really strong, especially if Karsay is able to make a good contribution. Gordon, Rivera, Felix Rodriguez, Quantrill, and Stanton will be awful tough to come back against after the 6th inning.

PAPChiSox729
02-20-2005, 11:10 PM
If that happened, I think they'd beat the Red Sox, but I think you're overestimating Pavano. I say 14-15 wins, tops. Also, Brown won't start more than 25 games, so he won't have 23 decisions. Put him down for 10-8. Unless they get at least 5 wins from another starter, they're not going to get much past 70 wins from their starting rotation, which is just about the minumum for a division winner. They could be ripe for the pickin' this year.

I agree. The Yankees can and will be beaten this year. A lot of experts are picking them to march on to the World Series. That rotation is aging and can be beaten. Their offense is great, as is their bullpen, but good starting pitching will be able to control that lineup.

SoxFanTillDeath
02-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Let me just say this: when the Sox were looking to sign a frontline starter, they looked very seriously at Jaret Wright, and a lot of us WSI regulars openly wished for some Carl Pavano love. Each of these guys would make our rotation without a shadow of a doubt, and yet they're the 4-5 for the Yankees (I think K. Brown, due to his experience, will be the 3).

That tells you how good that rotation is. Scary.

34 Inch Stick
02-21-2005, 09:32 AM
We have filled 2/5 of our rotation with people who the Yankees rejected in favor of these "questionable" starters and yet we have people on this board proclaiming us to have the best rotation in baseball.

samram
02-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Let me just say this: when the Sox were looking to sign a frontline starter, they looked very seriously at Jaret Wright, and a lot of us WSI regulars openly wished for some Carl Pavano love. Each of these guys would make our rotation without a shadow of a doubt, and yet they're the 4-5 for the Yankees (I think K. Brown, due to his experience, will be the 3).

That tells you how good that rotation is. Scary.

Except that no one knows if Pavano isn't a one-year wonder or if Wright will be any good without Leo Mazzone. Also remember that Pavano always seemed to shy away from the spotlight and is now on baseball's biggest stage. I don't think either Hernandez or Contreras is a much bigger question mark than either of those two. Wright and Hernandez both have health concerns and Contreras and Pavano have mental concerns.

Baby Fisk
02-21-2005, 10:09 AM
The Yankees are going nowhere fast. No one rushed to A-Rod's defense when Trot Nixon took a shot at him; they left him high and dry instead of backing him up. The rotation will be a disappointment. Giambi will be a distraction. Good thing they got up-and-comer Tino Martinez to help out at first. And most importantly: this will be the year that Rivera begins his decline, I ga-ron-tee.