PDA

View Full Version : At long last, the Robbie Alomar PTBNL

wilburaga
02-18-2005, 06:01 PM
I thought everyone had forgotten, but lefty Brad Murray was sent to the Diamondbacks today. He was our 27th round pick in 2000, and has had an unremarkable career to this point.

Look for him on the six year minor league free agent list next autumn.

W

Ol' No. 2
02-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I thought everyone had forgotten, but lefty Brad Murray was sent to the Diamondbacks today. He was our 27th round pick in 2000, and has had an unremarkable career to this point.

Look for him on the six year minor league free agent list next autumn.

WOh, NO!!! Our farm system can't take any more of Kenny's trading away all our prime talent.

Mohoney
02-18-2005, 06:16 PM
So it WASN'T Brandon McCarthy?

maurice
02-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Brad Murray?!? If I were running the D'Backs, I would have asked for a bucket of warm spit instead. (Then again, if I were running the D'Backs, the rest of their offseason would have turned out differently also.)

samram
02-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Brad Murray?!? If I were running the D'Backs, I would have asked for a bucket of warm spit instead. (Then again, if I were running the D'Backs, the rest of their offseason would have turned out differently also.)

After seeing what Robbie did for the Sox last season, they probably would have felt guilty asking for the spit.

dcb33
02-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh, NO!!! Our farm system can't take any more of Kenny's trading away all our prime talent.

Yeah, this kid will no doubt go on to be the next Roger Clemens and be an automatic lock to make the HOF on the 1st ballot! KW is so stupid!

Jabroni
02-18-2005, 08:07 PM
I posed this question last week. It's good to see that the PTBNL is just a scrub. I remember how freaked out everyone was when we traded for Robbie. They thought that the PTBNL was going to be a GOOD prospect. :tongue:

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Associated Press had this to say:

The 26-year-old reliever was with Class A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham last season, going a combined 3-8 with three saves and a 5.06 ERA in 59 appearances.

He will report to spring training with the other Diamondbacks minor leaguers on March 7.

SouthBendSox
02-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I wonder who we will give up in this year's Roberto Alomar trade???

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 09:34 PM
I wonder who we will give up in this year's Roberto Alomar trade???

I'm gonna take a positive outlook on this, you know the view that many Cubbie fans and Cubbie fans in the media have about every move Jim Hendry, 'Jim Hendry signed (insert name) so it must be great signing.'

Anyway, I PREDICT...that Iguchi will have a very good year. There will be absolutely no consideration to trading for Robbie and KW will get kudos for signing Iguchi. However the kudos will of course come with a catch.

'Yeah, Iguchi had a good year. But just wait until the scouting report gets out on him next year...'

Norberto7
02-18-2005, 09:49 PM
I've wondered how the PTBNL works. When is the decision made on who the player is? At the time, and not announced until later? Or is there a list of sorts that the owed team can pick from? I'd guess it'd have to be something like that, or what would happen if they couldn't agree on a player?

Plus, how long do they have to choose the player, or does it vary by the terms of the trade?

Thanks in advance, knowledgable baseball fans.

Jabroni
02-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I've wondered how the PTBNL works. When is the decision made on who the player is? At the time, and not announced until later? Or is there a list of sorts that the owed team can pick from? I'd guess it'd have to be something like that, or what would happen if they couldn't agree on a player?

Plus, how long do they have to choose the player, or does it vary by the terms of the trade?

Thanks in advance, knowledgable baseball fans.The decision is made anytime within 6 months of the trade. After 6 months of the initial trade, the PTBNL must be shipped over. If you never hear about what PTBNL was shipped, it is likely that the team just sent cash considerations instead. Sometimes a PTBNL is used in a trade when the team that is supposed to receive the PTBNL wants a player off of the other team's DL. Since injured players cannot be traded, teams use the PTBNL to get by this and wait for the injured player to get healthy.

Norberto7
02-18-2005, 09:57 PM
The decision is made anytime within 6 months of the trade. After 6 months of the initial trade, the PTBNL must be shipped over. If you never hear about what PTBNL was shipped, it is likely that the team just sent cash considerations instead. Sometimes a PTBNL is used in a trade when the team that is supposed to receive the PTBNL wants a player off of the other team's DL. Since injured players cannot be traded, teams use the PTBNL to get by this and wait for the injured player to get healthy.

I see....so there is a cash amount that both sides agree on that will be paid to Team A if Team B does not agree to send Team A the player(s) they want?

Jabroni
02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I see....so there is a cash amount that both sides agree on that will be paid to Team A if Team B does not agree to send Team A the player(s) they want?Not quite. If Team A cannot decide on a PTBNL, Team A can settle for an amount of cash from Team B instead.

Over By There
02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Look for his picture to show up in bafiarocks' signature soon.

Norberto7
02-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Not quite. If Team A cannot decide on a PTBNL, Team A can settle for an amount of cash from Team B instead.

Sorry, I am being a pain, but I still am not quite comprehending. To me, it looks like the upper hand clearly belongs to Team B. What if they cannot settle? They cannot agree on a player, so Team A says, "Give me $100,000." Team B says "I'll give you $20,000." Neither team thinks the other's offer is reasonable.

To me, I don't understand why Team A would give away a known entity for an unknown without at least a minimum guaranteed return. I suppose perhaps rules of civility and reason generally allow teams to come to agreements in the form of either players or money, but I just wonder what happens if they don't. It just looks to me like Team B has Team A by the balls.

SomebodyToldMe
02-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Look for his picture to show up in bafiarocks' signature soon.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

GOLD!