PDA

View Full Version : Question

RKMeibalane
02-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Has Jerry Manuel arrived in Mets camp yet?

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

samram
02-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Check the tentative opening day lineup card. If Pedro has been scratched for Matt Ginter because "Pedro should be fresh for Atlanta on Friday," you know he's there.

RKMeibalane
02-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Check the tentative opening day lineup card. If Pedro has been scratched for Matt Ginter because "Pedro should be fresh for Atlanta on Friday," you know he's there.

I checked the Mets official website, and there's no mention of him anywhere. He must be asleep somewhere.

SoxFan76
02-18-2005, 04:04 PM
My favorite JM memory is after people started ripping him for showing no emotion, he'd charge the ump every game and get thrown out. It was all so staged. :D:

RKMeibalane
02-18-2005, 04:58 PM
My favorite JM memory is after people started ripping him for showing no emotion, he'd charge the ump every game and get thrown out. It was all so staged. :D:

I always laughed when he did that ridiculous "bob and weave" routine. He looked like a human teeter-todder.

LongLiveFisk
02-18-2005, 05:03 PM
I always laughed when he did that ridiculous "bob and weave" routine. He looked like a human teeter-todder.

Same here. What amazed me was how he didn't get angry when he was supposed to but went berserk over little things. I wish I could remember specific examples but I just remember when it happened thinking how bizarre it was. Besides, I've tried to put JM out of my mind as much as possible. :redneck

Ol' No. 2
02-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Same here. What amazed me was how he didn't get angry when he was supposed to but went berserk over little things. I wish I could remember specific examples but I just remember when it happened thinking how bizarre it was. Besides, I've tried to put JM out of my mind as much as possible. :redneckThat's what I remember, too. They could get completely robbed and you'd look over to the dugout and see Jerry meditating in the lotus position. But as soon as rumors started about him getting fired you just knew that the next game he was going to come roaring out of the dugout at the first opportunity, even if it was some ticky-tack thing.

RKMeibalane
02-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Same here. What amazed me was how he didn't get angry when he was supposed to but went berserk over little things. I wish I could remember specific examples but I just remember when it happened thinking how bizarre it was. Besides, I've tried to put JM out of my mind as much as possible. :redneck

The best example I can think of comes from the 2003 season. The Sox played a series against the Twins during late April (25-27). During the first game of the series, Joe Mays took a no-hitter into the seventh inning, until Frank Thomas launched a solo home run. Earlier in the evening, both Thomas and Magglio Ordonez were hit by pitches.

Things got worse the next night. Ordonez was hit by another pitch, prompting Jon Garland to throw at Doug Mentkeiwitch. Garland was ejected immediately by homeplate umpire Bruce Froemming. Hawk was pissed and started screaming, "THAT WAS BS!" Manuel sat in the dugout and did nothing. He finally got off his ass the following afternoon and was tossed.

CubKilla
02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
He finally got off his ass the following afternoon and was tossed.

I was at that game. ELo won the game and the Sox took the series. JM got ejected very early on in the game and me, RPS, and Guido voiced the same displeasure that you outlined above. He was ejected for something very small in the scheme of things that happened that weekend but sat and did nothing earlier when he should have been raising holy hell.

I do remember the Sox executing a safety squeeze later on in that game and the 3 of us laughed knowing that would never happen with JM at the helm. He'd be too busy tinkering with Monday's line-up card to think, "safety squeeze."

Fake Chet Lemon
02-19-2005, 02:35 PM
I understand JerryM is going to be their FIRST base coach, OUCH. An ex-manager can save face going down to third-base coach, but first base? Obviously the rest of MLB (and ALL Sox fans) think much less of JerryM than KennyW did.