PDA

View Full Version : Gammons: Byrnes most likely going to Pirates

JUribe1989
02-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Peter Gammons said on ESPNews that Eric Byrnes is going to be traded by the A's, and the team most likely to receive him would be the Pirates by trading a prospect or 2. I know Gammons likes the think he's right a lot and he is proven wrong, but I like this deal and I hope the Pirates get Byrnes. They have such an underrated outfield right now, with Byrnes they have one of the better outfields in the National League.

Soxzilla
02-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Great! Now we'll get to hear even more from the FOBBs about how amazing Billy Beane is. I bet these prospects will be the second coming of christ when they reach Oakland.

fusillirob1983
02-18-2005, 04:07 PM
I don't know how great it would be for Oakland, but it's not bad at all for Pittsburgh. If only Oliver Perez could pitch every day...

Ol' No. 2
02-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Peter Gammons said on ESPNews that Eric Byrnes is going to be traded by the A's, and the team most likely to receive him would be the Pirates by trading a prospect or 2. I know Gammons likes the think he's right a lot and he is proven wrong, but I like this deal and I hope the Pirates get Byrnes. They have such an underrated outfield right now, with Byrnes they have one of the better outfields in the National League.I think Gammons has been at the crack pipe again. Didn't they unload Mulder and Hudson so they would have to money so they could afford to keep Byrnes?

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Great! Now we'll get to hear even more from the FOBBs about how amazing Billy Beane is. I bet these prospects will be the second coming of christ when they reach Oakland.

When he does not see success it will be because he is in a small market. The guy if failure proof.

RKMeibalane
02-18-2005, 06:17 PM
:boston

"See, uh... the Red Sox are going to sign every free-agent there is. Theo Epstein is focused on overtaking the Yankees as baseball's best team. And, uh... uhh... oh, yes, Boston is looking into accquring Eric Chavez at the trade deadline next August, as Oakland won't be able to afford him. After that, the Red Sox are going to take over the world."

Jabroni
02-18-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm glad to see that Byrnes is going to end up with the Pirates while the Flubs end up with Burnitz. :tongue: Originally, both the Pirates and the Flubs were interested in Burnitz.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Any word on who those prospects might be? I know a couple guys in the Pirates system - an outfielder on the 40-man ... with this I guess he won't break camp with the club - just curious...

HomeFish
02-19-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm glad to see that Byrnes is going to end up with the Pirates while the Flubs end up with Burnitz. :tongue: Originally, both the Pirates and the Flubs were interested in Burnitz.

Byrnes might be going to the accursed ones at midseason, regardless of where he is now.

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Byrnes might be going to the accursed ones at midseason, regardless of where he is now.Where do you pull this stuff out of? I pretty sure I know where. :rolleyes:

If the Pirates end up trading for Byrnes, I doubt they are going to trade him again at the deadline.

HomeFish
02-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Where do you pull this stuff out of? I pretty sure I know where. :rolleyes:

It makes sense; they need a respectable outfielder, and have a history of landing superstars cheaply in trades. Especially from the Pirates.

Its based purely on speculation; but I fear it shall come to pass.

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 01:27 AM
It makes sense; they need a respectable outfielder, and have a history of landing superstars cheaply in trades. Especially from the Pirates.

Its based purely on speculation; but I fear it shall come to pass.The Aramis Ramirez trade was a salary dump. He was set to earn $6 million and the Pirates didn't want to pay him. Ramirez wasn't a superstar at the time either, he was an inconsistent bat with no glove at 3B. If the Pirates do in fact trade for Byrnes, he will only be making $2.2 million in 2005 so they won't need to dump him. The Cubs will likely be trading for a closer at the deadline, not an outfielder. Hendry may try to trade for Aubry Huff but he doesn't seem to want to give up any top pitching prospects to get him. Hence, why they signed old-man Burnitz.

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 03:58 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6558Latest News Feb. 19, 2005 - 3:33 am et

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Pirates are close to acquiring Eric Byrnes from the A's for two players, probably minor leaguers.
The Pirates apparently have agreed on a list of players from which the Athletics would choose two, and the trade could be finalized next week. Assuming that reliever Mike Gonzalez was unavailable, the A's could have targeted prospects like LHP Tom Gorzelanny, OF Nate McLouth and C/OF J.R. House. If Byrnes goes, the A's will use a platoon of Charles Thomas and Bobby Kielty in left field.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/pirateslive/s_305385.html)I would be surprised if the Pirates made J.R. House available to the A's. He is expected to be Kendall's replacement. I guess they still have old-man Benito Santiago. :tongue:

JUribe1989
02-19-2005, 11:39 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6558I would be surprised if the Pirates made J.R. House available to the A's. He is expected to be Kendall's replacement. I guess they still have old-man Benito Santiago. :tongue:

I thought Humberto Cota was to be Kendall's replacement. He has played well in limited time, and House has done terrible in the majors.

Jabroni
02-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I thought Humberto Cota was to be Kendall's replacement. He has played well in limited time, and House has done terrible in the majors.J.R. House was the Pirates' top prospect in 2001 and 2002 according to Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/04top10s/pirates.html) but they don't have much faith in him after trading for Benito Santiago.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/chat/050124jp.html
Q: Donald Keypunch from McKeesport asks:
Why did you drop JVB to third on the list after two years at No. 1? Will J.R. House ever be a regular in the big leagues or is he another Hedi Vargas?

A: John Perrotto: Hi Don: As I mentioned earlier, Van Benschoten's bad season caused him to slip. I thik J.R. House needs to change organizations. He just doesn't seem to be in the Pirates' long-range plans. I think House will be a solid big-league with pop, not a big donkey like Hedi Vargas.

RedPinStripes
02-19-2005, 01:14 PM
i used to like Boston, but they won their series. And i've had enough of this "cursed crap" . They were never cursed! They never had a better team then the Yankees for that many years. That's all it is.

The Patriots have screwed me 2 years in a row on the spread and I'm sick of ESPN polls asking if the Pats are the best team ever. Screw ESPN, Screw Gammons, and all of Boston. I cant even root for Baltimore now . I just hate the east coast.

samram
02-19-2005, 01:20 PM
i used to like Boston, but they won their series. And i've had enough of this "cursed crap" . They were never cursed! They never had a better team then the Yankees for that many years. That's all it is.

The Patriots have screwed me 2 years in a row on the spread and I'm sick of ESPN polls asking if the Pats are the best team ever. Screw ESPN, Screw Gammons, and all of Boston. I cant even root for Baltimore now . I just hate the east coast.

Yeah, I can't say I like any pro team on the east coast, except for two in Florida (Bucs and Marlins).

santo=dorf
02-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Byrnes might be going to the accursed ones at midseason, regardless of where he is now.
What this? Another pro cub post by someone who routinely questions the White Sox?!?!? Shocking.

You're not fooling me Homefish.
:troll

Ol' No. 2
02-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Byrnes might be going to the accursed ones at midseason, regardless of where he is now.Holy Freaking ****!!! The trade to Pittsburg is nothing but another Boston Gammons hallucination and you've already got him going from the Pirates to the Cubs. I'll bet the Mets dump Carlos Beltran to the Cubs in mid-season, too!

Jjav829
02-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Holy Freaking ****!!! The trade to Pittsburg is nothing but another Boston Gammons hallucination and you've already got him going from the Pirates to the Cubs. I'll bet the Mets dump Carlos Beltran to the Cubs in mid-season, too!

Byrnes will be a Pirate. This isn't just a Gammons hallucination.

That sets up a nice outfield for the Pirates. I don't know how good they'll be - especially with Oliver Perez now experiencing shoulder tightness - but they should be a scrappy team that will put up a fight most nights.

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Holy Freaking ****!!! The trade to Pittsburg is nothing but another Boston Gammons hallucination and you've already got him going from the Pirates to the Cubs. I'll bet the Mets dump Carlos Beltran to the Cubs in mid-season, too!

The Cubs need bullpen help. Don't forget about Eric Gange.

Ol' No. 2
02-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Byrnes will be a Pirate. This isn't just a Gammons hallucination.

That sets up a nice outfield for the Pirates. I don't know how good they'll be - especially with Oliver Perez now experiencing shoulder tightness - but they should be a scrappy team that will put up a fight most nights.So far I haven't heard anything from anybody else. I was under the impression that the reason Beane traded away Mulder and Hudson was so that he would have to money to keep Kotsay and Byrnes. It's not as if they've got good OF to spare. Looking at their depth chart, they've got Kotsay, Byrnes, Swisher, Thomas and Kielty. Swisher is their guy of the future. Thomas had half a year with the Braves and Kielty is not an everyday starter IMO. If they trade Byrnes, it means they have to count on Thomas or Kielty. I'm sure the Pirates would love to have Byrnes, but I can't see why Beane would trade him.

But this is getting away from the point of my post, which was Chicken Little getting his shorts all knotted up worrying about Byrne making his way to the Cubs when even the trade to the Pirates is still, at best, unsubstantiated. :kukoo:

Jjav829
02-19-2005, 09:24 PM
So far I haven't heard anything from anybody else. I was under the impression that the reason Beane traded away Mulder and Hudson was so that he would have to money to keep Kotsay and Byrnes. It's not as if they've got good OF to spare. Looking at their depth chart, they've got Kotsay, Byrnes, Swisher, Thomas and Kielty. Swisher is their guy of the future. Thomas had half a year with the Braves and Kielty is not an everyday starter IMO. If they trade Byrnes, it means they have to count on Thomas or Kielty. I'm sure the Pirates would love to have Byrnes, but I can't see why Beane would trade him.

But this is getting away from the point of my post, which was Chicken Little getting his shorts all knotted up worrying about Byrne making his way to the Cubs when even the trade to the Pirates is still, at best, unsubstantiated. :kukoo:

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/pirateslive/s_305385.html) is reporting this, as well.

No, the point of trading Hudson and Mulder wasn't to keep Byrnes and Kotsay. Beane isn't stupid. He's not going to trade away two aces so he can keep two mediocre outfielders. The reason he traded Hudson and Mulder is because he knew he wasn't going to be able to keep the trio of Hudson, Mulder and Zito together much longer. Hudson had set a date of March 1 to either get a new contract or end talks and test free agency. Beane's idea was that both of these pitchers have good trade value right now so he can get something for them. Thus, he traded them hoping to re-tool the team without necessarily tearing the team apart and rebuilding from scratch. The decision had nothing to do with Byrnes. In fact, with Kotsay on the team and Swisher likely MLB ready, Beane was thought to be shopping Byrnes for a while. Byrnes name has already been linked with the Mets, D'Backs, White Sox, and I believe another team or two this offseason. The addition of Charles Thomas just made Byrnes that much more expendable.

SOXintheBURGH
02-19-2005, 09:37 PM

PittsburgH

Pittsburgh - the only burgh with an H