PDA

View Full Version : 2/18: Baseball America's Callis to talk Sox prospects tonight

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Tonight at 9PM Baseball America's Jim Callis is going to discuss Sox prospects with Mike Murphy on The SCORE. It would be interesting to hear some of WSI's very own talking with Callis and Murph.

Here's an email that I just sent to Murph:
Murph,

Last night you were talking about Cub pitching prospect Angel Guzman. Something to bear in mind about Guzman's 40 K to zero BB, is that he did this when he dropped down a level in the Cubs system. I'm not saying it's bad, but just something to bear in mind.

Angel Guzman is a name that is fairly well known, even by baseball fans who don't follow the minors that closely. The Sox have a pitching prospect by the name of Brandon McCarthy that doesn't seem to be as well known, but probably should be. For example, look at the stats below comparing Guzman and McCarthy's career minor league numbers.

Angel Guzman/Brandon McCarthy
IP.............. BB......... SO............ SO/BB.......... SO/IP
369/351..... 98/60..... 336/406..... 3.40/6.80..... .91/1.16

As you can see, if Guzman's stats are impressive then McCarthy's are even more so, IMHO. Ozzie mentioned McCarthy in today's papers. It's time for Brandon McCarthy to get a little publicity! He deserves it.

BTW Please be sure to ask Mr. Callis about McCarthy.

Take care,
DrCrawdad.

NOTE TO MODS: I'm not a shill for Murphy, just interested in hearing informed Sox fan calls tonight.

Gammons Peter
02-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Thats great! I want to hear somebody bring those stats up to the "impartial" Murph

PAPChiSox729
02-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Two Questions:

1)Is McCarthy starting ST with the big club?

2)Is McCarthy starting at AA or did he get promoted to Charlotte?

trailboss
02-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Brandon is in camp with the big club. Won't know where he will play this season until camp ends.

Is the Score a local show or national? Is it radio or TV? Can someone fill me in?

Ol' No. 2
02-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Brandon is in camp with the big club. Won't know where he will play this season until camp ends.

Is the Score a local show or national? Is it radio or TV? Can someone fill me in?Local radio. What's the over/under on how long it takes for Murphy to try to turn the discussion to the Cubs?

trailboss
02-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Rats. Since I'm not local, can somebody please take good notes and report here tomorrow?

rdivaldi
02-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Local radio. What's the over/under on how long it takes for Murphy to try to turn the discussion to the Cubs?

0.01 seconds...

rdivaldi
02-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Oh, and Jim Callis has about zero interest in the White Sox. He's a north suburban Flub fan through and through. Don't expect either of them to remain on topic, it will turn to the overrated Flub farm system quickly.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 05:49 PM
How about a drinking game? In the 9PM hour, when Murph & Callis are supposedly talking about the Sox, you have to drink everytime they talk about the Cubbies. No doubt you'll be wasted by 9:30.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Oh, and Jim Callis has about zero interest in the White Sox. He's a north suburban Flub fan through and through. Don't expect either of them to remain on topic, it will turn to the overrated Flub farm system quickly.

I suspected that Callis is a Cubbie fan. I considered calling in last night when Murph & Callis talked about the Cubbie prospects. I was going ask Callis if he was a Cubbie fan. It sure was obvious in Callis' expressions of love for the Cubbies.

Ol' No. 2
02-18-2005, 08:42 PM
How about a drinking game? In the 9PM hour, when Murph & Callis are supposedly talking about the Sox, you have to drink everytime they talk about the Cubbies. No doubt you'll be wasted by 9:30.Good idea. I better go get a few more bottles.:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp: :gulp::gulp::gulp:

Whitesox029
02-18-2005, 09:14 PM
This guy says that if Reed were still here he'd be the opening day Center Fielder "no question." What is this supposed to mean? What is Podsednik, chopped liver? I'm not sure how long I continue listening to this if he keeps saying stuff like that.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey, my email about McCarthy got mentioned!

:bandance:

Then I got on the air with questions about Haigwood, Deininger & Valido.

Hats off to Murphy for not taking the time to chat about the Cubbies.

So, I'll drink now anyway!

:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
02-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Hey, my email about McCarthy got mentioned!

:bandance:

Then I got on the air with questions about Haigwood, Deininger & Valido.

Hats off to Murphy for not taking the time to chat about the Cubbies.

So, I'll drink now anyway!

:gulp:He almost made it. If you waited until the end he just couldn't hold out any longer and had to slip a mention of Fansworth and Maddux in there. Not a bad show altogether, but for WSI regulars, we already knew all that stuff.:D:

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 09:58 PM
He almost made it. If you waited until the end he just couldn't hold out any longer and had to slip a mention of Fansworth and Maddux in there. Not a bad show altogether, but for WSI regulars, we already knew all that stuff.:D:

I had no plans on calling in, as I rarely if ever call-in to talk shows, and I certainly don't consider myself an expert on the Sox prospects. However, when Murph said that two Sox callers were on hold, I thought I'd call-in to at least toss a few names at Callis.

trailboss
02-18-2005, 10:00 PM
What did he say? Did he compare Guzman and brandon? Did he give props?

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 10:45 PM
What did he say? Did he compare Guzman and brandon? Did he give props?

IIRC Callis skimmed over a few of McCarthy's stats then said something about how McCarthy's stats are exceeding his "stuff" as McCarthy does not have a 96MPH fastball. Callis said that McCarthy is still very young but he wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy were brought up to MLB if the need arose.

Callis also said that the BoSox wanted McCarthy as part of the Ordonez for Nomar trade.

Oh, and I don't remember hearing Callis compare Guzman to McCarthy. I'm glad it didn't happen, as that would have meant 15 mins of boasting about the Cubbies farm system.

hose
02-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Murph really belongs on WGN radio. All Cub all the time.

PAPChiSox729
02-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Local radio. What's the over/under on how long it takes for Murphy to try to turn the discussion to the Cubs?

How long does it take him to say "So about the Cubs..."?

DrCrawdad
02-19-2005, 10:47 PM
How long does it take him to say "So about the Cubs..."?

Other than what Ol' #2 mentioned, Murphy was on good behaviour and did not turn it into a Cubbie discussion.

Whitesox029
02-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Other than what Ol' #2 mentioned, Murphy was on good behaviour and did not turn it into a Cubbie discussion.
Actually that was because the two men had had the same discussion on murph's show the previous night. It was designated Sox talk time.

Randar68
02-21-2005, 12:05 AM
IIRC Callis skimmed over a few of McCarthy's stats then said something about how McCarthy's stats are exceeding his "stuff" as McCarthy does not have a 96MPH fastball. Callis said that McCarthy is still very young but he wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy were brought up to MLB if the need arose.

McCarthy has also been addining velocity over the past 2 years, has a hard-to-find mentality perfectly suited for pitching, can throw 3 above average pitches for strikes in any count/situation, and has never been hurt...

Meanwhile, Guzman hasn't been healthy for 2 years and threw 96 mph with questionable mechanics...

Any half-ass scout worth their salt would be able to tell you that whatever velocity McCarthy pitches at will not matter. He has very good deception in his delivery, and he throws easy low-90's cheese, so it's not like he throws 88 mph!

Grrrrrrrrrr. I caught them on Cubbies night and just flipped the station. I like Callis, but a couple nights earlier Offman and Murph were talking about what Sox minor leaguers to look out for THIS YEAR, and despite the Sox having a plethora of experienced OF's, they both could only come up with Anderson and Sweeney. It would take a catastrophic turn of events to see either in Chicago before September call-ups, meanwhile, McCarthy as the starter-in-waiting likely at Charlotte, and El Duque being injury prone, etc, and no mention...

At that point I just rolled my eyes... Offman is in Arizona and can't come up with McCarthy?

SoxxoS
02-21-2005, 12:13 AM
McCarthy has also been addining velocity over the past 2 years, has a hard-to-find mentality perfectly suited for pitching, can throw 3 .

That, to me, is the most important thing about the analysis of McCarthy. Sure, you need ML "stuff." But that mental makeup is something a lot of Sox prospects have lacked in the past few years...the poster child being the highly talented but mental midget Joe Crede. You can also add Kip Wells to the mental mess category, b/c he had to leave town to start throwing high 90's...although that MAY have been Nardi's fault.

We shall see...

Randar68
02-21-2005, 12:44 AM
That, to me, is the most important thing about the analysis of McCarthy. Sure, you need ML "stuff." But that mental makeup is something a lot of Sox prospects have lacked in the past few years...the poster child being the highly talented but mental midget Joe Crede. You can also add Kip Wells to the mental mess category, b/c he had to leave town to start throwing high 90's...although that MAY have been Nardi's fault.

We shall see...

I don't see Crede that way. Not nearly as much as Kip and Garland. Crede is a ballplayer. Struggling and resisting change to something that's worked your whole life? Most major leaguer hitters are that way in their youth.

SoxxoS
02-21-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't see Crede that way. Not nearly as much as Kip and Garland. Crede is a ballplayer. Struggling and resisting change to something that's worked your whole life? Most major leaguer hitters are that way in their youth.

But at what point do you realize you shouldn't be so stubborn and maybe work on fixing it? His number have declined every year since 2003. I would think at some point you got to think "something isn't working here" and try to change it. He is trying to do it this offseason, we shall see if it works or not. I hope so, b/c Josh Fields ETA isn't until 2007, correct?

Randar68
02-21-2005, 04:43 PM
But at what point do you realize you shouldn't be so stubborn and maybe work on fixing it? His number have declined every year since 2003. I would think at some point you got to think "something isn't working here" and try to change it. He is trying to do it this offseason, we shall see if it works or not. I hope so, b/c Josh Fields ETA isn't until 2007, correct?

This is Crede's last stand. If he is floundering at the break, I would not be surprised to see Kenny make a deal for a 3B. I think everyone involved recognizes the situation.

SoxxoS
02-21-2005, 05:37 PM
This is Crede's last stand. If he is floundering at the break, I would not be surprised to see Kenny make a deal for a 3B. I think everyone involved recognizes the situation.

Right, but Fields ETA-2007?

Randar68
02-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Right, but Fields ETA-2007?

Depends on how he does, but 2006 isn't out of the question if he prgresses and Crede flounders...

SoxFan48
02-21-2005, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=Whitesox029]This guy says that if Reed were still here he'd be the opening day Center Fielder "no question." What is this supposed to mean? What is Podsednik, chopped liver? [QUOTE]

Yes, chopped liver is a pretty good description of Podsednik's minor and major league excepting one year, 2003.