PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Junkball: The Eephus Pitch

Jabroni
02-18-2005, 01:09 AM
For all you junkball lovers, here's a funny and interesting article on the "Eephus" pitch...

"The Eephus Pitch"
http://www.thebaseballpage.com/features/2000/eephus.htm

El Duque is probably the only guy on our team that throws an "Eephus" pitch. I wouldn't consider Shingo's "frisbee" to be an "Eephus" pitch because it actually hovers and then drops.

In 2002, El Duque threw two Eephus pitches in a row to Alex Rodriguez when A-Rod was still with the Rangers. The first 52 MPH Eephus was taken for a ball by A-Rod. The second, a 48 MPH Eephus, was cranked out of the park...

"A-Rod hits El Duque's eephus pitch for HR"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=220826110

The key to the Eephus is to not overuse it. It should be used very sparingly and when the batter is least expecting it. El Duque threw it twice in a row to A-Rod and got burned.

I_Liked_Manuel
02-18-2005, 02:01 AM
henry rowengartner had a hell of an eephus pitch when he threw his arm out

Banix12
02-18-2005, 02:06 AM
i seem to recall Buerhle throwing an Eephus a couple times, it's not part of his regular pitch selection but I swear I saw him throw one.

thepaulbowski
02-18-2005, 08:55 AM
i seem to recall Buerhle throwing an Eephus a couple times, it's not part of his regular pitch selection but I swear I saw him throw one.

There's a huge difference between trying to throw one and throwing one. It can be extremely effective if done right.

SoxFanTillDeath
02-18-2005, 09:01 AM
He threw one to Ichiro I believe when he was on a tear and hitting everything...Oh wait, that was all season.

Iwritecode
02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
henry rowengartner had a hell of an eephus pitch when he threw his arm out

"float it" :D:

I remember watching MTV's rock n' jock sometime in the mid 90's and Frank Thomas was playing. It was basically slow-pitch softball and Frank got a hold of one and absolutley crushed it.

They found the ball afterward and it literally had a dent in it. :o:

The Racehorse
02-18-2005, 11:12 AM
I remember Jim Kaat when he was on the Sox, pitching in an all-star game back in the '70s. He threw an eephus pitch to Johnny Bench, who promptly roped it WAY foul down the left field side. The TV closed in on Bench, who had a huge grin on his face... iirc, he didn't see another one during the AB.

NonetheLoaiza
02-18-2005, 11:14 AM
That was a good short read, and pretty funny.

TheBull19
02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
He threw one to Ichiro I believe when he was on a tear and hitting everything...Oh wait, that was all season.

Yeah, he threw one to Ichiro in that game where after he collected his fifth basehit of the day, Buehrle tipped his cap and gave him a bow. I think Mark gave up 7 hits that game, and 5 were bouncing singles between the infielders by Ichiro.

RichFitztightly
02-18-2005, 12:12 PM
:neener:GOD BLESS IT JABRONI!!!

I just posted a similar thing in the "Shingo learns a new pitch thread." Curse you for stealing my thunder.

Huisj
02-20-2005, 12:11 AM
i feel like i remember bob tewksberry (sp?) throwing a few to Mark McGwire in at interleague game at the heftydome against st louis a number of years back. anyone else remember this?

Jabroni
02-20-2005, 01:34 AM
i feel like i remember bob tewksberry (sp?) throwing a few to Mark McGwire in at interleague game at the heftydome against st louis a number of years back. anyone else remember this?Yep, it was in the article I posted above...

http://www.thebaseballpage.com/features/2000/eephus.htmAnd the Weak Shall Be Strong
In an instance of poetic justice, the Eephus pitch worked best against sluggers ... a fact Bob Tewksbury knew very well. When you aren't blessed with the sort of fastball that scares people, it pays to know a little history, and Tewksbury (a wily pitcher who went to college after he played ball) decided to unleash the Eephus vs. the mighty Mark McGwire in 1997. He had never tried it in a game, but he tried it against Big Mac twice. Mac's eyes lit up like he'd seen the future ... a brief home-run trot ... but he merely grounded the pitch to second base. Later in the game, Tewks tried it again, and McGwire grounded out again.

Ol Aches & Pains
02-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, he threw one to Ichiro in that game where after he collected his fifth basehit of the day, Buehrle tipped his cap and gave him a bow. I think Mark gave up 7 hits that game, and 5 were bouncing singles between the infielders by Ichiro.

I was at that game, and happily joined in the standing ovation Sox fans gave Ichiro as he stood on first after his fifth hit. Nice to see Sox fans showing some class, it helps wash the bitter memory of the Ligues and that other a----- out of my mind.

The best eephus pitch ever was thrown by Rip Sewell of the Pirates in the 40's. At its peak, it was about 25-30 feet off the ground. And he could throw it for strikes! I've seen old film of Ted Williams homering off Sewell in the 1946 All-Star game, which I believe was the only time anyone took Sewell's eephus deep.