PDA

View Full Version : minor league moments

mike squires
02-17-2005, 09:40 PM
The previous thread on minor league parks gave me this idea for a thread...what are some cool moments you've witnessed at minor league games? I've seen a few...

Every game I went to (3) with a game Lyle Mouton played in (Indianapolis) he hit a home run.

While browsing through the Indianapolis media guide I saw the name "MIke Penney" as a pitcher. (which is also my name ony without an e) I went down to the bull pen but never located him. I thought an autograph from him would be cool.

Saw Fred Mcgriff rehap last yearwith Tampa...um, he didn't do so hot.

Watched Jeff Liefer hit two dingers last year one clearing the entire park.

charlotteknights
02-17-2005, 09:52 PM
saw Pat Burrell hit a ball that should have been a home run one night but instead hit some kind of a huge bird, knocking it to the ground...Tilson Brito couldn't make out what was the bird or the ball and caught the bird with the ball falling besides him. Charlotte won by one run.

JUribe1989
02-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I once went to a Cougars game when they were down 8-0 in the ninth, then caught up to make it 8-2 with 2 outs but the bases loaded. Then they cleared the bases with a double to make it 8-5. Then the Lugnuts brought in some pitcher who walked two men, and set the stage for a grounder to third that should have been the last out, but it went right under the third baseman's mitt and 2 runs scored. Then, Matt Treanor who hit a game winning single against the Sox this year drilled a 2 run single in to the right field corner to win it 9-8.

I went to the Midwest League Championship a few years back when the Cougars played the Lansing Lugnuts who are now despised rivals. The Lugnut mascot was blocking a Cougar fan and Ozzie Cougar (our mascot) got upset with him and told him to stop. They began to brawl on the field while The Lugnut tried to rip off Ozzie's head. Ozzie completely kicked his ass! I have hated the Lugnuts ever since.

santo=dorf
02-17-2005, 10:56 PM
The first JackHammers game I went to was a 1-0 shutout (I think,) and the game took 3 hours due to sloppy plays.

I also saw Ryan Sienko (after he was released by the Sox) hit the first pitch in the bottom of the 11th for a home run. The announcers were joking on the radio how tough it must have been for the losing pitcher because he only threw one pitch for the entire game.

nccwsfan
02-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Mike Piazza doing a rehab stint in Norfolk- hit a long HR in the 9th

Fred McGriff played a few games in Durham before heading off to TB

Josh Beckett's 1st start in A ball- he dominated all who dared step up to the plate

Ol' No. 2
02-18-2005, 09:18 AM
One of the goofiest was at a Cougars' game. They had a wild man on the mound. He loaded the bases in the first inning by plunking the first three batters...then struck out the next three without even so much as a foul tip.

FireReinsdorf
02-18-2005, 10:36 AM
1) Razor Shines getting kicked out of the game for arguing ball and strikes against the Iowa Cubs. One of the best names in minor league history. My best friend and I always rooted for the visiting team and you couldn't root against a guy named Razor Shines. It was late in his career, and I always admired the career minor leaguers. Razor went ballistic after getting tossed and he had to walk all the way down from home plate to the gate in left field to exit. I remember applauding Razor's intensity as he had to walk by our seats on the third base line.

2) Watching a pitcher get drilled in the chest by the catcher trying to throw out a runner trying to steal second at a Cedar Rapids Kernels game. It was funny after everyone knew the pitcher was OK. Even the trainer was laughing as he left the mound. The throw hit the pitcher square in the chest and made an awful sound causing the pitcher to fall like a house of cards.

3) Watching Hideo Nomo pitch for the Iowa Cubs during a thirty degree March night. Nomo either struck out or walked each batter. I also remember thinking the Padres catching prospect Parent was tough because he wasn't wearing batting gloves. Nomo fastball + an Iowa night in the 30s + no batting gloves = ouch.

4) The San Antonio Missions tradition of watching a kid chase down and tackle a guy dressed as a puffy taco on the base pathes.

5) Talking to Daryl Boston after he played against the Iowa Cubs and getting his autograph.

6) Autographs, autographs, autographs. Minor league ball players were always nice when I was a kid. I don't remember one guy being mean to me. All you needed to do is show them some respect and ask nicely. I think Gary Varsho was one of the nicest guys to ever play baseball.

eriqjaffe
02-18-2005, 11:55 AM
I remember going to a Kane County game way back...saw Edgar Renteria and Charles Johnson in the same game...

I remember another Cougars game, played against the Ft. Wayne Wizards in a heavy drizzle...almost nobody came...probably about 30 people. When the Wizards were anounced, somebody else in the stands yelled out "Mr. Wizard! I don't wanna be a ballplayer anymore!"...even the players were laughing at that.

southpaw40
02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately, I will have to replace "cool moment" with "tragic moment". I was at the minor league game in Salem, VA when Pirate prospect Alfredo Edmead was killed. He and the second baseman (Pablo Cruz if I remember) collided while going for a fly ball in short right field. Of course, no one at the game realized at the time that he had been killed, he was removed from the field on a stretcher and taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital.

FireReinsdorf
02-18-2005, 01:50 PM
I remember going to a Kane County game way back...saw Edgar Renteria and Charles Johnson in the same game...

I remember another Cougars game, played against the Ft. Wayne Wizards in a heavy drizzle...almost nobody came...probably about 30 people. When the Wizards were anounced, somebody else in the stands yelled out "Mr. Wizard! I don't wanna be a ballplayer anymore!"...even the players were laughing at that.

That Mr. Wizard heckle is one of the funnier things I've heard in a while, Thanks.

Brings back fond memories of getting assaulted by the Iowa Cubs "Cubbie Bear" (he pawwed me up aside my head) after heckling him. I don't remember most of my tirade, but I do recall the phrase "overgrown Ewok reject wannabe"

nccwsfan
02-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Unfortunately, I will have to replace "cool moment" with "tragic moment". I was at the minor league game in Salem, VA when Pirate prospect Alfredo Edmead was killed. He and the second baseman (Pablo Cruz if I remember) collided while going for a fly ball in short right field. Of course, no one at the game realized at the time that he had been killed, he was removed from the field on a stretcher and taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital.

When did that happen? That's a very sad story....you would think something like that would've made the rounds.

StillMissOzzie
02-19-2005, 12:20 AM
The only no-hitter I ever saw in person was a Kane County Cougars game. Unfortunatly, the Cougars were on the receiving end. I do recall it was the bottom of the ninth, and the fans wanted to see him get the no-hitter. He had a close pitch called for a ball, and someone in the crowd yelled, "C'mon, blue, don't squeeze him now!"

Back when the White Sox AAA affiliate was the Vacouver Canadians, I went to a game there. The Canadians lost 3-2, but those two runs were two Billy Joe Robidoux BOMBS.

SMO
:gulp:

southpaw40
02-19-2005, 09:10 AM
When did that happen? That's a very sad story....you would think something like that would've made the rounds.