PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals might need Willie Harris

MHOUSE
02-17-2005, 06:56 PM
MLB.com mentioned that St. Louis is looking for a left-handed bat to play second base and shortstop on their bench since their infield is entirely right-handed. They mention Willie Harris by name, so maybe this is a possibility if Valdez and/or Ozuna make the team and Willie is expendable.

Linky (http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/news/stl_news.jsp?ymd=20050212&content_id=942417&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp)

Spicoli
02-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Do they have anybody we'd want in return?

Mohoney
02-17-2005, 07:01 PM

Mark Mulder

HomeFish

And then some.

But I think you meant to ask "Do they have anyone they're willing to give up we'd want in return.

Palehose13

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_121409.jpg

What about me?

Spicoli
02-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, yes, I assumed that this was a reasonable message board--perhaps not too reasonably--and thus it would not be necessary to waste time qualifying that. Thanks for translating my question nevertheless...

I was under the impression that the Cards do not have a strong minor league system; so I wonder if trading Willie to them would net us anything worthwhile?

RKMeibalane
02-17-2005, 07:12 PM
What's really funny about this situation is that the Cardinals were interested in signing Roberto Alomar earlier this winter. It never ends...

Banix12
02-17-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm not really counting on Ozuna making the team, you need a defensive player to be the backup infielder and every report I have read on him includes the phrase "hands like rocks".

The Cardinals have a lot of pitching in their minor league system but likely wouldn't give up one of their top pitchers for a guy they would consider a backup, at least for this season.

Just for the sake of arguement, here are the Baseball America top ten for St. Louis..
1. Anthony Reyes, rhp
2. Adam Wainwright, rhp
3. Blake Hawksworth, rhp
4. Chris Lambert, rhp
5. Stuart Pomeranz, rhp
6. Brad Thompson, rhp
7. Brendan Ryan, ss
8. Chris Duncan, 1b
9. Cody Hearther, of
10. Carmen Cali, lhp

There are teams out there that Willie could probably start for or at least have a better shot of getting in the lineup and they might pay a little more. Maybe a team like Houston which lost Kent and is looking to get younger.

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm not really counting on Ozuna making the team, you need a defensive player to be the backup infielder and every report I have read on him includes the phrase "hands like rocks".Manos II???:D:

zach074
02-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Forget the Cardinals, we still might need Willie.

Jabroni
02-17-2005, 08:25 PM
There are teams out there that Willie could probably start for or at least have a better shot of getting in the lineup and they might pay a little more. Maybe a team like Houston which lost Kent and is looking to get younger.Houston wouldn't be interested in Willie. They already have a top 2nd baseman prospect in Chris Burke.

MHOUSE
02-17-2005, 08:39 PM
I think we should trade Willie now while teams might still pay for his speed and "potential". He's never going to be Juan Pierre and I can't believe that he would end up with a starting job over Taguchi, Uribe, or Crede. I bet Valdez and/or Ozuna could handle the job well enough and trading Adkins (or Willie) for a more stable backup is an easy option. With two lefties and switch hitter on the bench all ready, I don't think Willie is much more than a pinch runner. He could do a lot more for another team than for us is all I'm saying.

The Racehorse
02-17-2005, 08:46 PM
I think we should trade Willie now while teams might still pay for his speed and "potential". I don't think Willie is much more than a pinch runner.

I agree.... a pinch runner who can't steal a base.

samram
02-17-2005, 08:47 PM
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_121409.jpg

What about me?

Done and done.:D:

PAPChiSox729
02-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Done and done.:D:

We give you Borchard then you give us that chump at first and we'll call it a deal!

:D:

Palehose13
02-17-2005, 10:25 PM
We give you Borchard then you give us that chump at first and we'll call it a deal!

:D:

Their chump on first was my first thought. But then I thought about a glaring hole on the team and thought Rolen would fill in nicely. :wink:

JUribe1989
02-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Are Bo Hart or Hector Luna possibilities? They are both righties and the Cardinals are in desperate need of the lefty 2B.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_429580.jpg (javascript:popWin('/team/player_gallery/player_gallery.html?429580'%2C'playerGallery'%2C72 5%2C600))http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_425659.jpg (javascript:popWin('/team/player_gallery/player_gallery.html?425659'%2C'playerGallery'%2C72 5%2C600))
Bo Hart Hector Luna

jabrch
02-17-2005, 10:35 PM
I'd take Wainwright in a heartbeat.

PAPChiSox729
02-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Their chump on first was my first thought. But then I thought about a glaring hole on the team and thought Rolen would fill in nicely. :wink:

Didn't Pujols come up as a 3rd baseman? I don't know all the facts, but I wouldn't imagine him as much of a defensive 3rd baseman. But he does carry some heavy lumber. Then again, so does Rolen. Decisions, decisions... I would take either one of these guys over Crede at third, no matter how poor Albert is defensively.

Banix12
02-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Are Bo Hart or Hector Luna possibilities? They are both righties and the Cardinals are in desperate need of the lefty 2B.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_429580.jpg (javascript:popWin('/team/player_gallery/player_gallery.html?429580'%2C'playerGallery'%2C72 5%2C600))http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_425659.jpg (javascript:popWin('/team/player_gallery/player_gallery.html?425659'%2C'playerGallery'%2C72 5%2C600))
Bo Hart Hector Luna

Bo Hart, he's definitely a grinder type but he's no longer a prospect at 28 (older than both Wille and Valdez)and it's hard to say he's better than our own Wilson Valdez. Likely wouldn't play here and doesn't have a high trade value. I have to think his hitting explosion in early 03' was a fluke.

Hector Luna, he showed a decent bat in the minors and he's only 25 (only a year younger than wille and valdez). He is not a good fielder. Only 7 errors last year in the majors in limited duty but 35 errors in AA ball 03', 32 errors in A ball 02' and 22 in A ball 01'. Basically you're trading for a younger version of Pablo Ozuna.

Willie Harris is far more valuable than either of these guys and will likely be a better major leaguer over the course of his career than either of these guys. If you get anything from the cards it has to be a young pitcher that could at least have trade value. You are not getting a backup infielder for 05' from the cardinals so put that thought out of your mind.

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2005, 06:42 AM
Has anyone seen Iguichi play in the major leagues yet? Let's hold off on the trading Willie talk until we know what we have.

Palehose13
02-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Has anyone seen Iguichi play in the major leagues yet? Let's hold off on the trading Willie talk until we know what we have.

Has anyone seen Willie Harris PLAY in the major leagues yet? :wink:

SoxFanTillDeath
02-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Has anyone seen Willie Harris PLAY in the major leagues yet? :wink:

Good point....

TheBull19
02-18-2005, 12:16 PM
And then some.

But I think you meant to ask "Do they have anyone they're willing to give up we'd want in return.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Without your injection of wisdom, I would've thought we might get Rolen for him.

Tekijawa
02-18-2005, 12:22 PM
My Cousin saw Kenny Williams in St. Louis at the Airport talking on his cell phone and saying, "Yeah, for Harris and Borchard! and have that #5 Jersey ready for the press conference this afternoon!"

Mohoney
02-18-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd take Wainwright in a heartbeat.

Walt Jocketty would be crucified if he gave up Wainwright for Harris straight-up.

Harris and Adkins, maybe we can hope that there's a miniscule chance, but I would clearly give the White Sox the advantage in this package, too.

I would gladly take Valdez as the backup utility guy until June or July if we were able to get a pitcher of Wainwright's caliber in the fold for Harris and Adkins.