PDA

View Full Version : Tony The Phony

DrCrawdad
02-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Yahoo.com article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=knight-larussascredibilityonthel&prov=knight&type=lgns)

La Russa's credibility on the line

By Ann Killion, Mercury News

This is an interesting two-step Tony La Russa is dancing.

He has been on a worldwide tour as the self-appointed defender of Mark McGwire's purity, and he's staking that claim to his own credibility.

But, by his own admission, the former A's manager knew Jose Canseco was using steroids when he was with the team and yet never did anything about it.

Why not? His justification is that it was pointless. The system -- the league, the players' union, the culture -- didn't want that information.

That's credibility?

Yahoo forgot to use teal.

The other part of "the code" is that it's all about weight training. That's the fallback Canseco used 15 years ago -- weights and playing volleyball in the Miami sand. He and Dave McKay -- then an A's coach, now in St. Louis with La Russa and one of the lead Canseco-bashers -- even wrote a book together, "Strength Training for Baseball," that came out in 1990. Back when the A's knew Canseco was using.

We wanted to believe Canseco back then because he was a superstar. So we don't want to believe now because he's a down-on-his-luck jackass?

La Russa is showing his loyalty. He's protecting his former player and his own reputation.

But the truth is that he won plenty of games with the help of a guy who was using steroids. La Russa knew it. And he didn't break "the code."

Tony, I used to like you.

ja1022
02-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Tony, some sort of simple "no comment" spin would have saved your dumb ass. Go ahead and keep shoving that foot of yours deeper down your pie hole.

RKMeibalane
02-17-2005, 05:35 PM
I've had it with LaRussa. If he knew what Canseco was doing, he should have put a stop to it. I marvel at the hypocricy we're seeing here. Managers and executives are willing to do whatever it takes to protect the game's superstars (McGwire, Sheffield), but if a player suddenly stumbles or is otherwise not as productive as he once was (Canseco, Giambi), it's suddenly okay to trash him in the media.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm glad Canseco has been exposed for being the slime that he is. But I don't think Tony LaRussa is the person who should be doing it, especially not after he allowed the steroid use to go on unchecked. If he knew that Jose was using, he should have taken action there and then. Complaining about it now is ridiculous.

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I've had it with LaRussa. If he knew what Canseco was doing, he should have put a stop to it. I marvel at the hypocricy we're seeing here. Managers and executives are willing to do whatever it takes to protect the game's superstars (McGwire, Sheffield), but if a player suddenly stumbles or is otherwise not as productive as he once was (Canseco, Giambi), it's suddenly okay to trash him in the media.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm glad Canseco has been exposed for being the slime that he is. But I don't think Tony LaRussa is the person who should be doing it, especially not after he allowed the steroid use to go on unchecked. If he knew that Jose was using, he should have taken action there and then. Complaining about it now is ridiculous.In LaRussa's defense, here, it's pretty obvious that the MLB policy was "Enjoy the home runs and don't ask questions". It was going on in almost every clubhouse, and it sure wasn't a secret, so to single out LaRussa is not quite fair. But it would have been better if he had just said nothing instead of making statements now trying to defend McGwire.

daveeym
02-17-2005, 06:01 PM

Don't misunderstand me. I'm glad Canseco has been exposed for being the slime that he is. But I don't think Tony LaRussa is the person who should be doing it, especially not after he allowed the steroid use to go on unchecked. If he knew that Jose was using, he should have taken action there and then. Complaining about it now is ridiculous.

The problem is EVERYONE KNEW. Larussa, his teammates, MLBPA, every manager, every team knew they had guys on roids. Don't fool yourself into this is larussa and he's such a bad guy cuz everyone associated with baseball is in the same boat.

The Racehorse
02-17-2005, 06:09 PM
The problem is EVERYONE KNEW. Larussa, his teammates, MLBPA, every manager, every team knew they had guys on roids. Don't fool yourself into this is larussa and he's such a bad guy cuz everyone associated with baseball is in the same boat.

Dave, I hope you don't mind me latching onto your post to reiterate my opinion that the use of steroids probably go back to the early/mid 80's, at least.

Thanks.:cool:

RKMeibalane
02-17-2005, 06:13 PM

The difference is that we don't have other managers defending certain players, while kicking others to the curb. I have yet to hear Buck Showalter, Joe Torre, Lou Pinella, Felipe Alou, or anyone else try to make excuses for anyone. LaRussa is the only one who's doing it, and that's why I singled him out.

doublem23
02-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Hindsight is pretty 20/20 here. The sport made no real attempt to curb steroid use and it's becoming plainly evident how prevelant steroids were amongst everyone involved in the game, so blaming one guy for not outing another guy is silly, IMO.

DrCrawdad
02-18-2005, 12:16 AM
If Tony had just kept his yapper shut and not defended Mark McGwire then I don't think anyone would be angry at him.

thepaulbowski
02-18-2005, 09:00 AM

The MLBPA would never have agreed to testing. So (for arguements sake) lets say everbody did know....what could they do about it?!?! Nothing because there was no testing at that time, right? What could they have done?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1992667

gosox41
02-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Yahoo.com article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=knight-larussascredibilityonthel&prov=knight&type=lgns)

Yahoo forgot to use teal.

Tony, I used to like you.

I never liked Tony. Always thought he was a crybaby. It's OK for him to throw at other teams, but if you throw at one of his guys it's aclearly done on purposed and needs to be retaliated.

Thsi further proves why I think he's an idiot. Keep talking Tony. You make yourself look worse everyday.

Bob

Brian26
02-18-2005, 09:19 AM
I saw LaRussa on the Best Damn Sports Show last week. I was a little surprised when he used that exact quote ("Hey, look at me, I've got some credibility, right?"). After he said that, the crowd applauded and the host agreed with him. That just blew me away. Someone made a great point yesterday- LaRussa, over the years, has indeed built up some credibility, and he just cashed in all of his chips with this mess. That's too bad.