PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox want to spare Steinbrenner's feelings

Fenway
02-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Oh man has a firestorm broken out in Red Sox Nation. Seems ownership is leaning at NOT given out the World Series Rings at the home opener because the visiting team is the New York Yankees.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=69016

Ever since the Sox won their first title in 86 years and it was learned that the first home series of the year would be against the Yankees, New Englanders have relished the idea of the ages-old rivals having to watch the rings being presented at Fenway. The ceremony, which will undoubtedly be accompanied by great fanfare and celebration, may not be proper to conduct in front of the team the Sox defeated in the ALCS before heading on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals, according to executive vice president Dr. Charles Steinberg.

``There's a degree of decorum you'd like to show and a degree of respect you'd like to demonstrate,'' Steinberg said. ``When it is done, it will be done tastefully.''

Needless to say WEEI is just radioactive
Red Sox to Reconsider Shameful 'Rings' Decision as Fans Inundate
Dr. Steinberg's Fenway Office with Protest Calls at 617-267-9440

Sean McAdam on the The Big Show: "This is political correctness run amok.
This doesn't pass the smell test. This wouldn't happen if Larry Lucchino were still the CEO."

Steve Buckley on the The Big Show: "Charles is missing on this one.
This is the first serious misstep he has made."

Glenn Ordway on the The Big Show: "I was disturbed when I saw this.
Why wouldn't you take advantage of this (gift MLB schedule makers gave you)?
Why would you not go out to embrace this thing?"

http://bostondirtdogs.com/

NSSoxFan
02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
All I have to say is: why?

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Oh man has a firestorm broken out in Red Sox Nation. Seems ownership is leaning at NOT given out the World Series Rings at the home opener because the visiting team is the New York Yankees.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=69016

Ever since the Sox won their first title in 86 years and it was learned that the first home series of the year would be against the Yankees, New Englanders have relished the idea of the ages-old rivals having to watch the rings being presented at Fenway. The ceremony, which will undoubtedly be accompanied by great fanfare and celebration, may not be proper to conduct in front of the team the Sox defeated in the ALCS before heading on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals, according to executive vice president Dr. Charles Steinberg.

``There's a degree of decorum you'd like to show and a degree of respect you'd like to demonstrate,'' Steinberg said. ``When it is done, it will be done tastefully.''

Needless to say WEEI is just radioactive
Red Sox to Reconsider Shameful 'Rings' Decision as Fans Inundate
Dr. Steinberg's Fenway Office with Protest Calls at 617-267-9440

Sean McAdam on the The Big Show: "This is political correctness run amok.
This doesn't pass the smell test. This wouldn't happen if Larry Lucchino were still the CEO."

Steve Buckley on the The Big Show: "Charles is missing on this one.
This is the first serious misstep he has made."

Glenn Ordway on the The Big Show: "I was disturbed when I saw this.
Why wouldn't you take advantage of this (gift MLB schedule makers gave you)?
Why would you not go out to embrace this thing?"

http://bostondirtdogs.com/

Oh, Hell. Now I'm not going to be able to sleep at night wondering whether they'll give out the rings or not.:(:

Gremlin3
02-17-2005, 04:39 PM
They have to give them out at that game. There shouldn't be any reason to hold back.

Baby Fisk
02-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Are they out of their ****ing minds? Yankee Haters around the world have been waiting for this moment! :angry:

Fenway
02-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Are they out of their ****ing minds? Yankee Haters around the world have been waiting for this moment! :angry:

Since they have taken over Dr Steinberg has not made a single mistake......but he really misread this one.

How many times have the Red Sox been the opening day team at Yankee Stadium and had to watch?

Good Lord has this hit a nerve

MUsoxfan
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Since they have taken over Dr Steinberg has not made a single mistake......but he really misread this one.

How many times have the Red Sox been the opening day team at Yankee Stadium and had to watch?

Good Lord has this hit a nerve

Exactly. If the Yankees had won they would gladly have the ceremony in front of the Red Sox and probably would walk in a line and flash the rings to players sitting in the Red Sox dugout.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-17-2005, 05:14 PM
They should give out the rings during that first series. Chances are the Yankees will sweep that series (Randy Johnson vs. David Wells, Schilling more than likely won't be ready; Mike Mussina vs. Matt Clement; Kevin Brown vs. Wade Miller?) and will more than likely win the World Series.

Basically what I'm saying is this will probably be the only ring the Red Sox will see for a while.

HomeFish
02-17-2005, 05:16 PM
That's ridiculous; I hate the Red Sox, yet even I think they should give it out at that series. Moreover, I also think they should do a big ceremony for the AL pennant.

Why in the world, especially given the attitude most Red Sox fans, would you not do that, unless you want a riot?

FightingBillini
02-17-2005, 05:23 PM
They should give out the rings during that first series. Chances are the Yankees will sweep that series (Randy Johnson vs. David Wells, Schilling more than likely won't be ready; Mike Mussina vs. Matt Clement; Kevin Brown vs. Wade Miller?) and will more than likely win the World Series.

Basically what I'm saying is this will probably be the only ring the Red Sox will see for a while.

With every post like that, you lose a little more respect on this board. The Yankees WILL NOT win the world series. You have been nothing but praise the Yankees this entire offseason. Get over it. They made a big move, like they did last offseason and the one before. They wont be able to aquire anyone at the deadline because their farm system is barren. They are a very old team, Pavano is unproven, Wright wont be nearly as good without Leo Mazzone, and Brown will be good for the 18 starts he makes a year.

MUsoxfan
02-17-2005, 05:24 PM

I read Wade Miller will be starting the season on the DL. I really don't find Yankee pitching all that world-beating. Johnson is good. Beyond that, there are no guarantees in that rotation.

Fenway
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
sigh didn't win the lottery anyways

REDSOX.COM (http://redsox.com/) NEW YORK YANKEES/PATRIOT'S DAY
TICKET PURCHASE OPPORTUNITY
================================================== =========

Thank you for registering for a chance to purchase tickets
for a future Red Sox home game. Unfortunately your entry
was not selected for this New York Yankees game/Patriot's
Day game ticket offer.

Please be advised that if you registered for the
opportunity to purchase either Green Monster or Right
Field Roof Deck tickets (or both), you are still eligible
for these drawings which will take place over the next
few weeks.

As a fan, your loyalty to the Red Sox is unparalleled and
we would like to thank you by offering you a 10% discount
at the Red Sox online store.

To visit the Red Sox online store please click on the
following link >>
http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=a7-fRw2Q8BODGT~9AEHFIYpVgBCg1M2 (http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=a7-fRw2Q8BODGT~9AEHFIYpVgBCg1M2)

Take 10% off your purchase at the Official Online Shop of
the Boston Red Sox by simply entering promo code BOSTON10
at checkout. Offer good from 2/16/05 through 3/2/05 at
11:59 p.m. EDT. One use per e-mail address. Cannot be
combined with any other offer.

Thank you again for your participation.

================================================== =========
You received this service-related e-mail as a participant
in the Red Sox 2005 Ticket Purchase Opportunity. E-mail is
our primary form of communication for service-related
messages.

Postal Address: redsox.com (http://redsox.com/), c/o MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
75 Ninth Avenue, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10011

(c) 2005 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

All Major League Baseball trademarks and service marks used
herein are the property of the applicable MLB entity. All
other marks used herein are trademarks or registered
trademarks of their respective owners.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-17-2005, 08:02 PM
With every post like that, you lose a little more respect on this board. The Yankees WILL NOT win the world series. You have been nothing but praise the Yankees this entire offseason. Get over it. They made a big move, like they did last offseason and the one before. They wont be able to aquire anyone at the deadline because their farm system is barren. They are a very old team, Pavano is unproven, Wright wont be nearly as good without Leo Mazzone, and Brown will be good for the 18 starts he makes a year.

You keep posting that with so much confidence, what do you know that we don't? And how am I losing respect? 80%+ of people you ask will tell you that the Yankees are the favorite to win the World Series. Of course anything can happen, but you're nuts to think they don't stand a chance. And the way you're saying it, it sounds like they don't stand a chance. Swallow your pride and accept it. The Yankees are the favorite. Say what you want to say, the Yankees are my pick to win the World Series and with as much confidence as you say "they will not win the world series" I'll say THE YANKEES WILL WIN THE WORLD SERIES. Now respond with some ridiculous post about how I'm losing respect by picking the best team in the game to win it all. Saying things like that pisses me the heck off.

And to add-on, the Red Sox are not better or equal to the team from last season. They are worse. No one knows when Schilling will come back and if he does comeback, how effective will he even be? Wade Miller (according to a fellow WSIte) is supposed to start the season on the DL. Matt Clement had injury problems last year and who knows where he is physically. Let's not forget they lost Pedro Martinez. They're bullpen is up in the air as well (other than Foulkie) especially with the oft-injured Matt Mantei now residing in that pen.

Yankees will easily win the division and, on paper, don't have a ton of competition in the AL. I'd love to think that the White Sox can beat them, but I just don't see it happening. Heck, I'd love to see any team in the AL other than the Twins, Indians, Tigers, or Royals beat them, but that probably won't happen.

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 09:01 PM
You keep posting that with so much confidence, what do you know that we don't? And how am I losing respect? 80%+ of people you ask will tell you that the Yankees are the favorite to win the World Series. Of course anything can happen, but you're nuts to think they don't stand a chance. And the way you're saying it, it sounds like they don't stand a chance. Swallow your pride and accept it. The Yankees are the favorite. Say what you want to say, the Yankees are my pick to win the World Series and with as much confidence as you say "they will not win the world series" I'll say THE YANKEES WILL WIN THE WORLD SERIES. Now respond with some ridiculous post about how I'm losing respect by picking the best team in the game to win it all. Saying things like that pisses me the heck off.

And to add-on, the Red Sox are not better or equal to the team from last season. They are worse. No one knows when Schilling will come back and if he does comeback, how effective will he even be? Wade Miller (according to a fellow WSIte) is supposed to start the season on the DL. Matt Clement had injury problems last year and who knows where he is physically. Let's not forget they lost Pedro Martinez. They're bullpen is up in the air as well (other than Foulkie) especially with the oft-injured Matt Mantei now residing in that pen.

Yankees will easily win the division and, on paper, don't have a ton of competition in the AL. I'd love to think that the White Sox can beat them, but I just don't see it happening. Heck, I'd love to see any team in the AL other than the Twins, Indians, Tigers, or Royals beat them, but that probably won't happen.The Yankees have been the favorites to win the World Series the last four years. How did they do? Being favorites is one thing. Saying they WILL is quite another.

FightingBillini
02-17-2005, 09:26 PM

Yankees will easily win the division and, on paper, don't have a ton of competition in the AL. I'd love to think that the White Sox can beat them, but I just don't see it happening. Heck, I'd love to see any team in the AL other than the Twins, Indians, Tigers, or Royals beat them, but that probably won't happen.

OK, we argree that the Yankees are the FAVORITES in the AL East and favorites to win the world series. They are favorites in the books of the same people who are picking th Sox to finish 3-4 and the Cubs to win the NL. The Yankees have just as many questions as the White Sox. Will Pavano be a huge bust going from the NL to AL and from Miami to pressure packed NY? Will Wright have a decent season without Mazzone? Will Kevin Brown stay healthy? Well, we all know the answer to that is no, so I guess the question is how many games will be pitch. Mussina is quickly falling towards mediocrity. That leaves the Yankees with 1 ace. 1 pitcher who is better than Garcia or Buehrle. That ace also happens to be 41 and have no cartilage in his left knee. They have a rapidly aging and declining CF, a mediocre 2B coming off a career year, and starting 1B who is 37 and hit .262 last year. Their bullpen is poor outside of Rivera and Gordon. For me, its just as easy to see why the Yankees wont win as it is to see how they could.
The Yankees are not nearly as good as you think they are. The most important thing is that they arent a TEAM. They were a team in the late 90s. Now they are just an assortment of aging talent and guys with horrible contracts. They cant buy a championship. They have tried, but the last 4 years the Yankees have always ran into a solid TEAM, and lost in the playoffs. Look, the Yankees will probably win the east, they will probably win 100 games. Then they will go into the playoffs saying "we accept nothing short of a title" and lose again to the eventual world champs. Again.

The Yankees are like the big bully who always intimidated you. They have some of the best players. They have a payroll more than double yours, and they are always beating up others to the tune of 100 wins. It scares the crap out of you to play against them. However, if you punch the bully in the mouth it will cower. The playoffs show how the all powerful Yankees are more bark than bite. This Yankees team has improved little outside of Johnson. You can make an arguement that Wright and Pavano could each be great, but it is just as easy to argue that they will be epic flops. This is the same team that got all they could handle from the no name Twins and completed the biggest choke job of all time against the Red Sox. The Yankees looked tough two years ago. They looked really tough last year after they got A-Rod. They look even tougher now with Johnson. Once you get over the big names and look at the team, you see the emperor has no clothes. Intimidation doesnt win championships, and teams are intimidated playing the Yankees in the playoffs anymore. Now, they may make it to the series. They may win it, but it is in no way gauranteed. More than likely, they wont win it all. If you were as critical of the Yankees as we all are of the White Sox, you would see that.

Fenway
02-18-2005, 12:51 PM
The Red Sox owner goes on the SoSH board to explain about the rings

http://p086.ezboard.com/fsonsofsamhornbostonredsox.showMessage?topicID=149 91.topic&index=176

Wow, what a hornet's nest! http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/eek.gif

News flash! I don't think we have any hard, fast assurances exactly when the rings will be done. In fact the ring has not yet been finalized. I didn't realize half the nation might be lining up on bridges if there isn't a ring ceremony opening day.

Legal issues?! Now that's a good one. Maybe the ring manufacturer will pull out for fear of being sued! LOL. Could this be the end for scalpers as the value of their inventory plummets?

Stayed tuned now for hourly updates as to when the rings are going to be available!

This isn't bait and switch. I think opening day against the Yankees is plenty of bait. It's just mismanagement. We're determined to get the rings exactly the way we want them. I'm sorry it's taken so long, but we're amateurs at this.

Imagine what's going to happen when they're not to everyone's liking or personal taste!

The fields were just beautiful in Ft. Myers this morning. I'm looking forward to seeing some of you over the next six weeks down here. It should be a lot of fun. If we receive the rings early, we promise not to give them out prior to a spring training game. Oh...and thanks for hanging in there your entire lives. All the best...

Edited by: JohnWHenry (http://p086.ezboard.com/bsonsofsamhorn.showUserPublicProfile?gid=johnwhenr y) at: 2/17/05 8:46 pm

Baby Fisk
02-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Someone in that thread refers to Yankee Stadium as the Toilet. Suddenly the visual similarity is so obvious. :cool:

Wrigley Field = the Urinal
Yankee Stadium = the Toilet

Fenway
02-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Someone in that thread refers to Yankee Stadium as the Toilet. Suddenly the visual similarity is so obvious. :cool:

Wrigley Field = the Urinal
Yankee Stadium = the Toilet

as ESPN Page 2 described it in 2003
Outside the Stadium, it's dirty. Inside, it's absolutely filthy. By the fifth inning, heaps of garbage overflowed from huge bins under the bleachers, and it didn't look much better in the rest of the stadium. In general, it appears that Steinbrenner has let the Stadium go to seed. It's like an aging beauty queen who still takes a terrific picture, but upclose and in person looks worn down, her appearance buoyed only by the misty haze of memory.

Or to put it another way, what you see on the tube is much more glorious than what you get in person.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/yankee.html
the complete rankings
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stadiums

WhiteSoxFan84
02-18-2005, 01:26 PM
OK, we argree that the Yankees are the FAVORITES in the AL East and favorites to win the world series. They are favorites in the books of the same people who are picking th Sox to finish 3-4 and the Cubs to win the NL. The Yankees have just as many questions as the White Sox. Will Pavano be a huge bust going from the NL to AL and from Miami to pressure packed NY? Will Wright have a decent season without Mazzone? Will Kevin Brown stay healthy? Well, we all know the answer to that is no, so I guess the question is how many games will be pitch. Mussina is quickly falling towards mediocrity. That leaves the Yankees with 1 ace. 1 pitcher who is better than Garcia or Buehrle. That ace also happens to be 41 and have no cartilage in his left knee. They have a rapidly aging and declining CF, a mediocre 2B coming off a career year, and starting 1B who is 37 and hit .262 last year. Their bullpen is poor outside of Rivera and Gordon. For me, its just as easy to see why the Yankees wont win as it is to see how they could.
The Yankees are not nearly as good as you think they are. The most important thing is that they arent a TEAM. They were a team in the late 90s. Now they are just an assortment of aging talent and guys with horrible contracts. They cant buy a championship. They have tried, but the last 4 years the Yankees have always ran into a solid TEAM, and lost in the playoffs. Look, the Yankees will probably win the east, they will probably win 100 games. Then they will go into the playoffs saying "we accept nothing short of a title" and lose again to the eventual world champs. Again.

The Yankees are like the big bully who always intimidated you. They have some of the best players. They have a payroll more than double yours, and they are always beating up others to the tune of 100 wins. It scares the crap out of you to play against them. However, if you punch the bully in the mouth it will cower. The playoffs show how the all powerful Yankees are more bark than bite. This Yankees team has improved little outside of Johnson. You can make an arguement that Wright and Pavano could each be great, but it is just as easy to argue that they will be epic flops. This is the same team that got all they could handle from the no name Twins and completed the biggest choke job of all time against the Red Sox. The Yankees looked tough two years ago. They looked really tough last year after they got A-Rod. They look even tougher now with Johnson. Once you get over the big names and look at the team, you see the emperor has no clothes. Intimidation doesnt win championships, and teams are intimidated playing the Yankees in the playoffs anymore. Now, they may make it to the series. They may win it, but it is in no way gauranteed. More than likely, they wont win it all. If you were as critical of the Yankees as we all are of the White Sox, you would see that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT them to win the World Series. But I think they will. Randy Johnson is the difference between this year and the last four. He can dominate a series, take it over and just win it himself. If the Yankees don't win it this year, I will be shocked. The previous 4 years I wasn't as shocked because the team had no chemistry, was full of individual players, and did not have any threats in their rotation. Most of those "individual" players are still on the team, but after losing the way they did in the ALCS last year, their ego's shrunk and now they will come to Joe Torre or whomever and say, OK, you tell me what I need to do, and I'll do it.

Iwritecode
02-18-2005, 01:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/yankee.html
the complete rankings
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stadiums

You had to go and link those didn't you?

I remember when they first came out and we had a field day tearing apart his rankings for the Urinal. Horrible (and very biased) stuff...

The Racehorse
02-18-2005, 01:42 PM

I remember when they first came out and we had a field day tearing apart his rankings for the Urinal. Horrible (and very biased) stuff...

Yeah, but it gave me a chance to revisit what was said about Yankee ushers... "They screen for ignorant and hostile applicants. Then they hire them." :roflmao:

Fenway
02-18-2005, 01:45 PM

If I was running the White Sox I would focus the advertising on the new improved upper deck. Have a roving reporter up there interviewing fans saying how much better it is. I could take a nice vacation if I had $10 for every fan who has told me they will never go back there because of the upper deck.

RKMeibalane
02-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Can we stop with the Yankee ass-kissing already? They are not going to win the World Series. They aren't good enough. Their pitching staff has too many holes, even with Johnson around. And what are they going to do if the Big Unit ends up on the disabled list? Until the Yankees can do more than write checks and sign contracts, I don't expect to see them anywhere near the World Series.

TommyJohn
02-18-2005, 02:16 PM
If I was running the White Sox I would focus the advertising on the new improved upper deck. Have a roving reporter up there interviewing fans saying how much better it is. I could take a nice vacation if I had $10 for every fan who has told me they will never go back there because of the upper deck.

Sitting in the lower deck is always an option. Some people just want to be
miserable.

FightingBillini
02-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT them to win the World Series. But I think they will. Randy Johnson is the difference between this year and the last four. He can dominate a series, take it over and just win it himself. If the Yankees don't win it this year, I will be shocked. The previous 4 years I wasn't as shocked because the team had no chemistry, was full of individual players, and did not have any threats in their rotation. Most of those "individual" players are still on the team, but after losing the way they did in the ALCS last year, their ego's shrunk and now they will come to Joe Torre or whomever and say, OK, you tell me what I need to do, and I'll do it.

I don't think Johnson will make a difference. This pitching staff is still not as good as it was 2 years ago and not nearly as good as it was when they won their last title. The Yankees sign and trade for top notch pitchers, and they dont perform good there. Who was the last big name to come into NY with loads of hype and actually live up to it? Roger Clemens. I know that Leff Weaver, Mike Mussina, Sterling Hitchcock, Kevin Brown and Javier Vazquez were feared when the Yankees got them. People said "wow, now they have the best staff in baseball, there is no beating them." They failed. Stottlmyre is a horrible pitching coach. Better pitchers than Carl Pavano and Jared Wright have come into NY with a lot of fanfare and fallen on their faces. I dont see any reason why they would be any different.

MIgrenade
02-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Back to the original purpose of the thread: Screw the Yankees and their feelings, Steinbrenner would be gloating if the situation were reversed. Not only have Red Sox fans wanted this, but every Yankee hater as wanted to see this. THIS IS WHAT RIVALRIES IN SPORTS ARE ABOUT!

Baby Fisk
02-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Back to the original purpose of the thread: Screw the Yankees and their feelings, Steinbrenner would be gloating if the situation were reversed. Not only have Red Sox fans wanted this, but every Yankee hater as wanted to see this. THIS IS WHAT RIVALRIES IN SPORTS ARE ABOUT!
:hawk
"Screwing the Yankees...YES!"

Fenway
02-18-2005, 04:52 PM

The schedule was a fluke as it came out before the post-season.

Believe me I want a tape of the YES telecast where Michael Kay has to narrate the procedings back to New York.

However I am also willing to bet that George will order YES to show some Yankeeography instead of the Sox raising the banner.