PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Pods says "Hi"

cbrownson13
02-17-2005, 01:06 PM
That was nice of him....

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050216&content_id=943904&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

JUribe1989
02-17-2005, 01:19 PM
That was nice of him....

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050216&content_id=943904&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Can't wait for April 4 with Pods leading off!

Rocky Soprano
02-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Wow, that is great!

Rowand and Pods will be huge this year!

SOXintheBURGH
02-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Wow, that is great!

Rowand and Pods will be huge this year!

No! He's aweful he bat .129 last year and we traded the best Left Fielder in history to get him! Boooo KW! BOOOO!!

Baby Fisk
02-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Nice!

But, is this like one of those cheesy "we're so sorry" form letters that NHL owners are circulating? Maybe Oriole fans getting something like this:

Hi [Oriole] Fans,

Thanks for the warm welcome you showed me at [my signing ceremony]. I've always enjoyed coming to because there's a ton of great restaurants, the nightlife is awesome and I love the [Edgar Allan Poe burial site]. It also seems like [Baltimoreos] are really dedicated to their sports teams -- so it will be nice to be one of the guys you're cheering for... instead of rooting against!

[My valet] enjoyed meeting every [Oriole] fan who stopped to say hello. I also met a few of my teammates, as well as [Tom Clancy, who writes books about spies]. I'm psyched to get to [Fort Lauderdale] for Spring Training so I can meet the rest of the team.

Since I came to the [Orioles], [Lee Mazzili] and the coaches have made it clear that they've tried to build a team full of players who are willing to do the little things that win baseball games. Players who want a win more than a personal statistic, who hustle for nine innings and give 100 percent every time they take the field. That's the exact kind of team I want to play on, so I'm thrilled to be here.

etc etc...where do you want me to sign already? I don't have to? Auto pen? I'm outta here!

[b]Sincerely,
Sammy Sosa,
The Hardest Working Man in Baseball, put that in.

HebrewHammer
02-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Nice!

But, is this like one of those cheesy "we're so sorry" form letters that NHL owners are circulating? Maybe Oriole fans getting something like this:

:roflmao:

Very nice.

Jerko
02-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Nice!

I was thinking the same thing. I hope Wirtz' ghost writer didn't twist Scott's words around.

Nellie_Fox
02-17-2005, 03:03 PM
Has it really been decided to call this guy "Scotty Pods?" For some reason that makes me gag.

I hope Hawk comes up with a good nickname quickly and this goes away.

eriqjaffe
02-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I hope Hawk comes up with a good nickname quickly and this goes away.I still lobby for "sPod", pronounced in a similar manner to "iPod".

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
I still lobby for "sPod", pronounced in a similar manner to "iPod".I liked Podzilla, myself.

soltrain21
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi, Scott.

Please do not try and hit homeruns. Just get on base.

Your friend,

Wes

MUsoxfan
02-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I like "Scotty Po".....but I'll call him whatever the Hawk says

tacosalbarojas
02-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I still lobby for "sPod", pronounced in a similar manner to "iPod".I called him that in a post a while back, but no one seemed to notice. I think it would be perfect.

SOXintheBURGH
02-17-2005, 03:32 PM
I like Podzilla, or simply Podz. No need for the Scotty.

Baby Fisk
02-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Hasn't anyone e-mailed Brooks about this yet?! :o:

rdivaldi
02-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Has it really been decided to call this guy "Scotty Pods?" For some reason that makes me gag.

Agreed. Any nickname that ends in "y" is much to Flublike.

Gracey, Woodsy, etc.

[Gag]

zach074
02-17-2005, 04:14 PM

Gracey, Woodsy, etc.

[Gag]

But I like Pauly and that ends in a Y!

California Sox
02-17-2005, 04:16 PM
It's the "Scotty" part that's sickening. Just call him "Pods" and be done with it.

mjharrison72
02-17-2005, 04:20 PM
It's the "Scotty" part that sickening. Just call him "Pods" and be done with it.
Agreed... I have had "Pods" penciled in at the top of my lineup since we signed Iguchi. I would have had him in before then, but I didn't have a lineup made out at that point.

rdivaldi
02-17-2005, 04:21 PM

True. I guess there is usually one exception to the rule.

iwcup
02-17-2005, 04:22 PM

Actually...it ends in "IE" to keep a separation from all that is cute and cuddly...

pods works well as an informal use...as in hey did you catcht eh game last night? Pods stole two bases.

Scot-tie (ie to keep in line with above comment..) for chants, at bats etc.

Whitesox029
02-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Paulie ends in -ie. :D:

EDIT: Great minds think alike, iwcup.

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Paulie ends in -ie. :D:

EDIT: Great minds think alike, iwcup.That's not what it says on the scoreboard when he comes to bat.

Paul-eee

iwcup
02-17-2005, 04:32 PM
That's not what it says on the scoreboard when he comes to bat.

Paul-eee

Ok, but then would the concensus be that its not Y....and therefore any non Y derivation is good and sox like?

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Ok, but then would the concensus be that its not Y....and therefore any non Y derivation is good and sox like?Is this what we've been reduced to? Sweet Jesus, they'd better start playing pretty soon.:o:

iwcup
02-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Is this what we've been reduced to? Sweet Jesus, they'd better start playing pretty soon.:o:

yikes.... how many posts on this? I am guilty as charged....cant wait to hear "PLAY BALL"

Baby Fisk
02-17-2005, 04:49 PM
yikes.... how many posts on this? I am guilty as charged....cant wait to hear "PLAY BALL"

Without ON2's intervention, this thing was gaining tomato momentum.

rdivaldi
02-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Without ON2's intervention, this thing was gaining tomato momentum.

I bet if we tried, this thing could easily garner a tomato....

Baby Fisk
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
There's already a couple of active threads exploring just that concept, and I think we might be going overboard on the tomato thing, but woops look at that I just added another post...:redface:

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 05:09 PM
There's already a couple of active threads exploring just that concept, and I think we might be going overboard on the tomato thing, but woops look at that I just added another post...:redface:If we get a tomato for this we should throw it back.:tongue:

rdivaldi
02-17-2005, 05:21 PM
If we get a tomato for this we should throw it back.:tongue:

Hey man, Sox fans don't throw tomatos back, leave that on the Flub boards...

santo=dorf
02-17-2005, 05:40 PM
I still lobby for "sPod", pronounced in a similar manner to "iPod".

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/sPOD.gif

Can't take credit for it though, that goes to WU!

santo=dorf
02-17-2005, 06:02 PM

Gracey, Woodsy, etc.

[Gag]

Willie Harris, Kenny Williams, Ozzie Guillen, Nellie Fox, Paulie, Robbie Alomar. :?:

Very Cub-like indeed. :rolleyes:

rdivaldi
02-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Willie Harris, Kenny Williams, Ozzie Guillen, Nellie Fox, Paulie, Robbie Alomar. :?:

Very Cub-like indeed. :rolleyes:

Please note those were all first names....

santo=dorf
02-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Please note those were all first names....

So it only applies to last names?

SOXintheBURGH
02-17-2005, 06:06 PM
So it only applies to last names?

:burly

Gremlin3
02-17-2005, 06:08 PM
We can't help how the name is already spelled, we just shouldn't change it to be that way.

Hangar18
02-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Dear Scott,

Though I disagree with the methods from which Uncle Jerry and Kenny

acquired you, I do hope you do well, as we havnt had a top of the order guy who could HIT for Average, Power, and STEAL BASES since Ray Durham became Expensive. I want you to do well and GET ON BASE AND STEAL BASES, but not that well so that you have a good case heading to Arbitration and they Dump you beforehand (see Keith Fouke) Good Luck man,

we are pulling for you more than you may ever know.

Sox Fan for Life,
Hangar 18

Mohoney
02-17-2005, 07:56 PM

I'm kind of hoping that we just call him "AL stolen base leader" and/or "AL runs scored leader" all season.

The Racehorse
02-17-2005, 08:42 PM
As mentioned earlier in this thread, Pods is the best, imo... it's short and to the point.

As for Konerko, I always go with PK. I was never a Pawl-eee type person. Too me, it conjures up images Rocky Balboa that aren't flattering in the least... this isn't the Phillies.

itsnotrequired
02-17-2005, 09:28 PM

Can't take credit for it though, that goes to WU!

Its hard to tell from a simple shadow but isn't this guy batting right-handed?:?:

Man, I can't believe I even analyzed that...PLAY BALL ALREADY!

PAPChiSox729
02-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Its hard to tell from a simple shadow but isn't this guy batting right-handed?:?:

Man, I can't believe I even analyzed that...PLAY BALL ALREADY!

It depends... Did he already make contact with the ball? It could be either one.
Wow. We are pathetic.
:help:

santo=dorf
02-17-2005, 10:40 PM
No. :?:

Right Handed version: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/fizzjob/miscellaneous/sPOD.gif

cbrownson13
02-17-2005, 10:41 PM
It depends... Did he already make contact with the ball? It could be either one.
Wow. We are pathetic.
:help:

Yea, he's either just finished making contact or chasing a high one. Hopefully Pods, sPod, whatever the hell we are calling him, can lay off the high ones.

Gremlin3
02-17-2005, 10:55 PM
I still like Pods the best, but I don't care what they call him if he performs.

markopat
02-18-2005, 12:14 AM
I think "pathetic" pretty much sums up this thread...

:bandance:

OurBitchinMinny
02-18-2005, 02:48 AM
No! He's aweful he bat .129 last year and we traded the best Left Fielder in history to get him! Boooo KW! BOOOO!!
Not quite, but we traded a damn good player for him. Lets let it play out before we retire his number

itsnotrequired
02-18-2005, 08:12 AM
No. :?:

Right Handed version: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/fizzjob/miscellaneous/sPOD.gif

The shadow reminded me of the classic wire-frame cube. You know, the one that looks like you're seeing the front or back, depending on how you look at it.

http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~athens/cs507/Projects/2003/JeanPhilippeTardif/text/img3.png

Ah, whatever. On to bigger and better things...

Jjav829
02-18-2005, 09:16 AM
The shadow reminded me of the classic wire-frame cube. You know, the one that looks like you're seeing the front or back, depending on how you look at it.

http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~athens/cs507/Projects/2003/JeanPhilippeTardif/text/img3.png

Ah, whatever. On to bigger and better things...

On the sPOD thing, it's pretty clear which one is from the right side and which one is from the left side. I don't see how the two can possibly be confused.

Kinda sad we're discussing this. Bring on the first ST game! :smile:

Baby Fisk
02-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Alas, the lost art of letter writing.

There should be some sort of tag to commemorate threads that go completely off the rails like this one.

SOXSINCE'70
02-18-2005, 09:36 AM
I'll be sitting down the first base line.Looking forward to it.:bandance: :bandance:

JKryl
02-18-2005, 09:39 AM
That was nice of him....

Now, that's what I call fan friendly. I hope that boy goes far.

JKryl
02-18-2005, 09:40 AM

There should be some sort of tag to commemorate threads that go completely off the rails like this one.

How about a body dangling from a noose?

Ol' No. 2
02-18-2005, 10:15 AM

There should be some sort of tag to commemorate threads that go completely off the rails like this one.Off the rails, down the embankment and heading for the river. This is sad. We need some actual baseball before this goes multi-tomato.

Hangar18
02-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Off the rails, down the embankment and heading for the river. This is sad. We need some actual baseball before this goes multi-tomato.

heh heheheh, Multi tomato. Im laughing my butt off in the office here, heh heh, the Platinum Tomato. Say, as far as a Signature for "Derailed Threads", how about a Locomotive jumping the Tracks, with the
SOX logo on it?

Baby Fisk
02-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Seeing some good visual ideas here, but some guidelines or standards should also be discussed. At what point would an "off the rails" tag be triggered? By how quickly the discussion veers away from the original topic? By a pre-determined number of posts unrelated to the original topic? By the will of the Mods? Discuss.

cbrownson13
02-18-2005, 12:46 PM
I never thought when the time came for a thread that I started to have this many replies that it would be anything like this. I expected it to maybe be controversial or some big news, but this is nothing. The only reason I posted it was because I was bored at the time. From spending all my time on this board to looking at my tickets that are in my desk, I just can't wait until the season starts.

santo=dorf
02-18-2005, 01:32 PM

If he is batting right handed in this picture, doesn't it look like his "left" elbow is way too high for a right handed hitter? :?:

TheBull19
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM

If he played for the Cubs, they'd call him Konerky

MIgrenade
02-18-2005, 02:07 PM
The worst thing about this thread is that Pods didn't write that. My girlfried, who is in PR, read that letter and and said she has written those letters for doctors in hospitals for events. While all these letters are nice, they really don't mean anything.

Baby Fisk
02-18-2005, 02:20 PM
The worst thing about this thread is that Pods didn't write that. My girlfried, who is in PR, read that letter and and said she has written those letters for doctors in hospitals for events. While all these letters are nice, they really don't mean anything.
:shammy
"You are correct! Anyone who knows me and reads that form letter will know that I don't give a damn about no Edgar Allan Poo. Whenever I'm in Baltimore, I always visit the National Museum of Dentistry (http://www.dentalmuseum.org/). Dentistry: that is my true passion."

MUsoxfan
02-18-2005, 02:24 PM

I didn't expect him to sit down with a pen and paper to write this. I'm sure he cleared it, and it's good PR

soltrain21
02-18-2005, 02:43 PM
How do you know he didn't write it? Not all ballplayers are jerks. Maybe he did write it and maybe he was sincere about it.

rdivaldi
02-18-2005, 02:56 PM
If he played for the Cubs, they'd call him Konerky

Nah, they'd probably add an "s" and make it "Konerksy".

So lame.

I can smell a nice rotten tomato in the distance.....

:bandance:

MIgrenade
02-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Soltrain, I didn't say he was a jerk, I just said he didn't write it. I'm sure he had input and probably likes blues music but he did not actually write that letter. Doctors don't even write these things for themselves why would a baseball player? They have better things to do. But it is good PR and it accomplished its goal of making fans eager for the season to start.

petekat
02-18-2005, 04:00 PM
hee hee. probably had some PR hack intern write this for him.

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Doctors don't even write these things for themselves why would a baseball player?This is too funny. Like a ballplayer's time is more valuable than a physician's.

Norberto7
02-18-2005, 09:40 PM
I still lobby for "sPod", pronounced in a similar manner to "iPod".

Hey, how about "Scott Podsednik"? For now, at least. I just think there's something about the best nicknames that aren't forced. They just happen, you don't sit around with a pad and paper and try to be witty. On top of that, don't you think the whole "First letter of first name, First syllable of last name" is getting a bit tired? From A-Rod to T-Mac or Jay-Z or whoever..... The last thing I'd want (nickname-wise, at least) is to see J-Ur to T-Ig to P-Kon on the 6-4-3. But maybe that's O-Gui Ball!

Anyways, perhaps I am just bitter because I've had a nickname for the last five years that I don't care for. :dunno:

Nellie_Fox
02-19-2005, 12:30 AM
On top of that, don't you think the whole "First letter of first name, First syllable of last name" is getting a bit tired?Oh yes, I've thought that for a very long time now.

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-19-2005, 01:16 AM
This Thread......I couldnt rotate the WSI sign. Oh well....
http://img228.exs.cx/img228/8770/trianreck6uw.jpg

SpammySosa
02-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Hey, how about "Scott Podsednik"? For now, at least. I just think there's something about the best nicknames that aren't forced. They just happen, you don't sit around with a pad and paper and try to be witty. On top of that, don't you think the whole "First letter of first name, First syllable of last name" is getting a bit tired? From A-Rod to T-Mac or Jay-Z or whoever..... The last thing I'd want (nickname-wise, at least) is to see J-Ur to T-Ig to P-Kon on the 6-4-3. But maybe that's O-Gui Ball!

Anyways, perhaps I am just bitter because I've had a nickname for the last five years that I don't care for. :dunno:

I couldn't agree more! :nod: