PDA

View Full Version : New Update on XM Radio/Baseball

kruzer31
02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I was going to post this in the other XM thread but I dont want it to get lost and i think everyone should hear this who is thinking about getting XM for the baseball. Not only will you get every game live when the season starts you also get tons of spring training broadcasts and the 24 hour XM Radio Station called Home Plate. Here is and update so far about the XM station Homeplate:
The station began on this past Tuesday and I am in heaven with this station. Its all baseball. So far I have listened alot but I am sure I have missed some things. Here is what I have caught. Rob Dibble and someone else have a show and so far they have had some great interviews with Pete Rose and Jose Canseco live (Seperate one on one interviews , not rose and canseco together. They asked Pete Rose if he though Jose should be in the hall of fame and he had some interesting things to say. Canseco was just saying exactly what he wrote in his book. Tonight they just had on Chip Carey and Jairy Hairston Jr. When they go to sports updates its all baseball and every little detail that happen that day, no other sports , just baseball. Every day they cut to a little one minute clip of this day in Negro League History and give you info about things you never knew about that league. I think they run the same clip once an hour and the clip changes daily. When Spring Training starts they will have reporters at every game and will have in game updates constantly on station Home Plate 175 to go along with all the other full game broadcasts of spring training on other xm stations. For you minor league junkies i just heard tonight that through out the season they have 4 regional scouts covering all areas of the minor leagues and will have reports and interviews on what is going down on the farms. There's more,
They have classic broadcasts of baseball games and last night I caught the first few innings of the 1981 AL DIV Championship between the A's and Royals. I heard at bats from Rickey Henderson, Tony Armas, Willie Wilson and George Brett. Pretty cool to hear the announcer talk how when Henderson gets on it turns into a triple and sure enough when Henderson reached, he stole second.
I have never heard of a station like this all baseball all the time , its sick. Right now Josh Towers (starting pitcher) for the Tor Blue Jays is on and the interview is fantastic. Its the best thing since sliced bread folks. I highly recommend it. Hope this helps and gets its own thread.

Jeff K.

MRKARNO
02-16-2005, 11:00 PM
I just got my XM to work and the first thing I turned to was the baseball. Great stuff.

chisox06
02-17-2005, 12:08 AM
I just spent a good hour lookin XM over and it seems pretty cool to me. I was looking at the Roady 2 for my car. Couple questions, is the antenna wireless or do you have to run a wire from the outside antenna you place on your roof to the unit? As for the baseball channel I can assume that comes with the 9.99/month package, which is pretty damn cheap considering what your getting along with everything else. Also, on the actual game broadcasts, can I listen to farmer and Rooney or do they designate just one broadcast team for games (I.E you can only get the Royal's announcers during a game)? I may end up getting this very soon, seems pretty cool.

indysoxfan
02-17-2005, 12:14 AM
I just spent a good hour lookin XM over and it seems pretty cool to me. I was looking at the Roady 2 for my car. Couple questions, is the antenna wireless or do you have to run a wire from the outside antenna you place on your roof to the unit? As for the baseball channel I can assume that comes with the 9.99/month package, which is pretty damn cheap considering what your getting along with everything else. Also, on the actual game broadcasts, can I listen to farmer and Rooney or do they designate just one broadcast team for games (I.E you can only get the Royal's announcers during a game)? I may end up getting this very soon, seems pretty cool.

I got the roady2 for x-mas.... I put the antenna on my dash.... works fine

however, the book says the antenna should be on the roof of the car...

Medford Bobby
02-17-2005, 01:11 AM
:smile: http://xmfan.com/

I have been educating myself with this website about hardware and programming. They have closeouts on stuff that may interest me when I get ready to buy..though I have been watching ebay too...alot of people up grade their radios and sell their units cheap..just some ideas..:redneck

But I'm sold on baseball available 24/7 365 days a year...do I see a White Sox channel someday?? Classic Sox games...call ins, interviews, WSI features:redface: ?

kruzer31
02-17-2005, 02:33 AM

The antenna is not wireless and the directions say you should run the wire out your car so the satellite antenna(which is the size of a bat handle knob) sits on your roof (it is like a magnet). My brother and I just run the wire and let the little knob sized sattelite antenna sit on our dash in the center or even on the passenger seat. Works fine. I dont want to run the wire outside cuz i know some punk will rip it off so im glad it works in the car how i keep it. The baseball package is included in the 9.99 per month. The only thing that is extra per month with xm is the playboy channel and some guys named Opie and Anthony show. Its a waste of money in my opinion. As far as i have heard but i could be wrong, whoever is the home team that day, that is the broadcast that is put on the air for the baseball games. But either way, every game is on every day, even spring training. Right now the 1982 alcs is on, MIL vs CAL. Carew, Sutton, Cecil Cooper, Yount and Molitor and big fat Gorman Thomas. Not to mention Bob Uecker (Juuuuuuust a bit outside) is calling the game all by him self ala Vin Scully. It is well worth all the money. The music stations are awesome and you get like 4 espn stations and a sporting news station. Also all Big Ten, ACC and PAC 10 college basketball and football games are broadcasted. The only thing is Sirrus has the NBA and NFL. But baseball is my passion and if you love baseball, XM is the way to go.

Jeff

Iguana775
02-17-2005, 07:26 AM
I'd rather have Sirius and have the NFL and college games. :)

kruzer31
02-17-2005, 11:19 AM

You're nuts. But everyone is entitled to there opinion.

DC Sox Fan
02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
My first taste of home plate was last night where some guy was hosting a call-in segment on which spring training venues were the best. No one was calling in- it was kinda funny. He kept resorting to hyping up his upcoming interview with Chimp Carey that was only an hour away!

This morning, better stuff. Reports from around spring training, talk about Jose and the Juice, etc. Need to find a place for 175 on my presets here!

What I'm wondering is if they will have some logical order to which channels the games will be broadcast on. I think they have 15 channels for PBP action when the season starts. Am I going to have to fish for the sox on 182 on day, 193 the next, etc.? That could get confusing...

IowaHawksFan1
02-17-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm a little disappointed Sirius didn't get the MLB...I have Sirius and love it. If baseball is the only thing you care about, XM is by far the way to go, they both have their good points and their bad points. The only reason I'm posting is because one of the posters said that Sirius only has the NBA and NFL, and I just wanted to point out that statement is wrong. Sirius has college athletics and European Soccer as well. Sirius has a 24/7 NFL station (like XM has for MLB), also if the NHL ever plays another game (we know they won't this year) they will carry those games as well. Music could go either way depends if you like hits based or deeper play lists.

Anyway I am not saying you shouldn't look at XM, but I did want to point out that a poster above is incorrect. Either way you can't go wrong (there will still be baseball games on Sirius (just when ESPN Radio is carrying them though).

MRKARNO
02-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Besides Baseball being my favorite sport, the advantage it has over the other sports from a radio perspective is that it's every day and that lends to nonstop games from about 12 PM to 12 AM during the season on a daily basis (I'm being a little generous, but on a normal day, the vast majority of that time block is occupied with at least one game somewhere in the country), so having nonstop baseball for 7 months of the year (with Spring Training) and intermittent baseball with for the 8th (playoffs). The other 4 months there's the only 24/7 baseball station, so that pretty much did it for me.

JKryl
02-17-2005, 08:25 PM
How do you know what's available on what channel. Since it's new, I imagine any book that would come with the radio would be outdated when you get it. Is there a web site we can look at?

MRKARNO
02-17-2005, 08:28 PM
How do you know what's available on what channel. Since it's new, I imagine any book that would come with the radio would be outdated when you get it. Is there a web site we can look at?

www.xmradio.com

It has all the channels listed with schedules and descriptions.

JKryl
02-18-2005, 08:00 AM
www.xmradio.com (http://www.xmradio.com)

Outstanding. I think you guys may have talked my into it.

AZChiSoxFan
02-18-2005, 12:54 PM

You get college games on XM

iwannago
02-18-2005, 04:24 PM
www.xmradio.com (http://www.xmradio.com/)

Thanks!

Fake Chet Lemon
02-19-2005, 09:18 PM
I ran out and bought an XM boom-box today because of this thread. It's AWESOME. I bought it just for the baseball, and it's worth it for channel 175 alone. If you are not very technical, don't worry it's very, very easy. As soon as I got it programmed, I tuned to channel 175, and the very first thing I heard was a guy calling to talk about the Cubs. There is no escaping friggin Cubbie Nation, even when the signals are beamed from outer-space. UNBELIEVABLE! But still cool. Bob Knightingale (sp?) from USA Today was on, and he said his team of interest to watch was the White Sox this year because of their new emphasis on pitching, speed and defense.

shoota
02-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Since XM is commercial-free, what happens during the time between innings? Dead air? Do they still play the commercials?

nccwsfan
02-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Since XM is commercial-free, what happens during the time between innings? Dead air? Do they still play the commercials?

They play XM related commercials (i.e. listen to the 90's channel, the hits channel, future concerts, etc)

steff
02-21-2005, 07:41 AM

I'd rather have it for Stern :D:

brocco bry
02-22-2005, 05:46 AM
I am curiuous how the portable unit works on the bus and the el. Does anyone know?

seventytwo
02-22-2005, 07:48 AM
I am curiuous how the portable unit works on the bus and the el. Does anyone know?

If you're talking about their "walkman" style unit---it should work just fine. That only plays content that you have recorded---it is not a "receiver."

Put another way, you can't turn it on at 1:05 on Wednesday and catch a live Sox game while riding the el.

I've had XM for about a year, and love it. Channel 175MLB is the greatest invention since DirecTV baseball package.

SoxyStu
02-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Pay??? 10 bucks per month to listen to a radio in a car??? Or, if I want to do an XM "walkman" it'll cost me 350 bucks on top of the monthly dues? I'll pass and stick to the local airwaves. There are much better things for me to do with my money.

Maybe if I was commuting 90 mins one-way to work I'd considerate it. Maybe.

That's what's nuts.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Pay??? 10 bucks per month to listen to a radio in a car??? Or, if I want to do an XM "walkman" it'll cost me 350 bucks on top of the monthly dues? I'll pass and stick to the local airwaves. There are much better things for me to do with my money.

Maybe if I was commuting 90 mins one-way to work I'd considerate it. Maybe.

That's what's nuts.

$10 is too much? What should it be priced at, a dollar? It really is worth it. I'm sure there is something you blow $10 a month on currently that you could do without, something? Or maybe it is different strokes for different folks, that's cool too.

Brian26
02-22-2005, 01:08 PM
If you're talking about their "walkman" style unit---it should work just fine. That only plays content that you have recorded---it is not a "receiver."

Isn't there a receive out on the market that can be used like a walkman???

seventytwo
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM

No. But I'm sure they're working on it.

Rocklive99
02-22-2005, 03:20 PM
He's talking about the MyFi, and yes it is a receiver, in addition to playing the things you record (mostly for incase you can't get a signal where you're at)

And for the commercials question, I'm preaty sure only the music stations are commercial free, comedy and talk and stuff has commercials. Also, let's say they're broadcasting the Sox feed, they'd probably play the same commercials ESPN 1000 is playing, I'm not sure though. How has sports worked in the past or on Sirius?

nccwsfan
02-22-2005, 07:28 PM

Yes, it's called the Delphi MyFi, and it's $350 for the receiver. I'm listening to Channel 175 (MLB Radio) as we speak...:bandance:

MRKARNO
02-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, it's called the Delphi MyFi, and it's $350 for the receiver. I'm listening to Channel 175 (MLB Radio) as we speak...:bandance:

You can probably get it for closer to $250 now. That's how much mine cost at the Auto Show this year (though it was a special promotion). I've seen it for like $280 on some websites, which also isnt that bad, but XM 175 and the MLB package is reason enough to get it.

MRKARNO
02-22-2005, 07:41 PM
And for the commercials question, I'm preaty sure only the music stations are commercial free, comedy and talk and stuff has commercials. Also, let's say they're broadcasting the Sox feed, they'd probably play the same commercials ESPN 1000 is playing, I'm not sure though. How has sports worked in the past or on Sirius?

XM has their own set of commercials to promote their own programming, so I'd guess they'd just substitute those in when necessary. For instance, you'll hear commercials for a BB King Special, the MyFi and SkyFi2 or for MLB XM Home Plate 175.

Cubbiesuck13
02-22-2005, 08:39 PM
You can probably get it for closer to $250 now. That's how much mine cost at the Auto Show this year (though it was a special promotion). I've seen it for like $280 on some websites, which also isnt that bad, but XM 175 and the MLB package is reason enough to get it.

I hear the reception on that isn't good. I am leaning towards buying one. How is it in a car? Walking? In a baracks room, or more importantly (to me) sitting in a minor leage stadium?

MRKARNO
02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I hear the reception on that isn't good. I am leaning towards buying one. How is it in a car? Walking? In a baracks room, or more importantly (to me) sitting in a minor leage stadium?

If your outside it should be just fine. I've had problems indoors with it, so I had to set up the antennas in a way that I can get reception in rooms that I use it often.

The car it should be fine as long as you're not near buildings which are blocking the Southern Horizon and even then it usually works. Just make sure to use the personal antenna (or the car antenna, either work fine).

Walking I've never had a problem with, even in downtown Chicago.

Sitting in a minor league stadium shouldnt be a problem at all.

Cubbiesuck13
02-22-2005, 10:40 PM
If your outside it should be just fine. I've had problems indoors with it, so I had to set up the antennas in a way that I can get reception in rooms that I use it often.

The car it should be fine as long as you're not near buildings which are blocking the Southern Horizon and even then it usually works. Just make sure to use the personal antenna (or the car antenna, either work fine).

Well then I will be ordering mine from amazon.com. They had it at a very reasonable price. The Sox and Cards better be good this year for all the money I am spending on them...

kruzer31
02-23-2005, 12:18 AM
I'd rather have it for Stern :D:

Stern going to Sirrus is huge news if you like the junk he talks about. He is over rated and reminds me of that idiot Mancow. Would u rather listen to Howard Stern or every major league baseball game and channel 175's 24-7 baseball talk. Who really wants to listen to some bimbo get tickled in a tickle chair so she can promote her stupid website. Id rather watch it on E channel. Howard Stern and Sirrus arent going to last, this is the company that signed the NHL folks. Stick with XM and what you love, Baseball. No disrespect to you Steph, you rock.

Jeff

steff
02-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Stern going to Sirrus is huge news if you like the junk he talks about. He is over rated and reminds me of that idiot Mancow. Would u rather listen to Howard Stern or every major league baseball game and channel 175's 24-7 baseball talk. Who really wants to listen to some bimbo get tickled in a tickle chair so she can promote her stupid website. Id rather watch it on E channel. Howard Stern and Sirrus arent going to last, this is the company that signed the NHL folks. Stick with XM and what you love, Baseball. No disrespect to you Steph, you rock.

Jeff

I'd rather have it (Sirrus) for Stern...

We'll probably get XM also - because that's what's in the new Vette's.

Brian26
02-23-2005, 12:36 PM

Oh brother! LOL.

:worship:

Brian26
02-23-2005, 12:39 PM

This is what I was talking about. Have you had a chance to try it on a train (Metra, EL)? I'm curious how it works there.

kruzer31
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
I'd rather have it (Sirrus) for Stern...

Buying a new Corvette?

jeff

MRKARNO
02-23-2005, 02:21 PM
This is what I was talking about. Have you had a chance to try it on a train (Metra, EL)? I'm curious how it works there.

Nope not yet, but I dont think you should have too many problems. You might need to use the personal antenna and obviously it wont work in the subway or in tunnels, but on a Metra train I can't see how there'd be many problems, as long as you're in the window seat.

steff
02-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Buying a new Corvette?

jeff

Likely.. the '04 has lost it's luster I guess. :rolleyes:

Unless he waits for the '06 Z06.

steff
02-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Oh brother! LOL.

:worship:

He is the luckiest man... be sure to tell him so. :cool:

hosieryofthegods
02-23-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm a little disappointed Sirius didn't get the MLB...I have Sirius and love it. If baseball is the only thing you care about, XM is by far the way to go, they both have their good points and their bad points. The only reason I'm posting is because one of the posters said that Sirius only has the NBA and NFL, and I just wanted to point out that statement is wrong. Sirius has college athletics and European Soccer as well. Sirius has a 24/7 NFL station (like XM has for MLB), also if the NHL ever plays another game (we know they won't this year) they will carry those games as well. Music could go either way depends if you like hits based or deeper play lists.

Anyway I am not saying you shouldn't look at XM, but I did want to point out that a poster above is incorrect. Either way you can't go wrong (there will still be baseball games on Sirius (just when ESPN Radio is carrying them though).

Have you heard baseball on Sirius? Xm gets euro soccer as well on BBC world services. I had a European band out, and they want BBC on at noon on Saturday every week.:rolleyes:

kruzer31
02-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Likely.. the '04 has lost it's luster I guess. :rolleyes:

Unless he waits for the '06 Z06.

Lets hope those vettes were not made on a monday or friday, u know what they say about the american worker. lol

jeff

steff
02-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Lets hope those vettes were not made on a monday or friday, u know what they say about the american worker. lol

jeff

Hmm.. his '04 has a "born" date. I don't think the day is on there though. Just the month and year I think. I'll look tomorrow.

Rocklive99
02-23-2005, 09:57 PM
To those who said you can still hear baseball on Sirius because of ESPN Radio, I've heard a rumor that because of this deal with XM that ESPN Radio doens't get any more baseball games, I'm not sure how true it is though since ESPN Radio still does NBA

Jogurt
02-25-2005, 08:05 AM
I got the XM radio after reading about this thread last week, and I felt the need to register here to say that it is worth getting if you really love baseball as much as I do, which I'm guessing most of you do. This morning when I turned on XM175 I heard Patrick/Bowa/Martinez have a 5 minute interview/discussion with Martha Black. They mostly talked about the White Sox wedding experience. This was probably not the type of interview you would ever hear on any other station. I guess they were stretching a bit for guests, but, to me, that is the great thing about this station, you get to hear about every little aspect of every organization.

nccwsfan
02-25-2005, 09:37 AM
To those who said you can still hear baseball on Sirius because of ESPN Radio, I've heard a rumor that because of this deal with XM that ESPN Radio doens't get any more baseball games, I'm not sure how true it is though since ESPN Radio still does NBA

I believe that Sirius has a contract with the NBA. As far as baseball goes, it's an interesting thought, but I think you're right- XM's agreement would require ESPN to blackout the games. Guess we'll find out in April...

Cubbiesuck13
02-27-2005, 03:10 AM
I was going to buy the MyFi portable reciever but I am skeptical because the reviews are hit and miss. Most problems stem from reception and I guess it's all in where you live. Being in Norfolk, VA I am thinking I won't have too much of a problem because it is a sorta big city. My question is if there will be any more portable recievers on the market by the end of spring?

doogiec
02-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I was going to buy the MyFi portable reciever but I am skeptical because the reviews are hit and miss. Most problems stem from reception and I guess it's all in where you live. Being in Norfolk, VA I am thinking I won't have too much of a problem because it is a sorta big city. My question is if there will be any more portable recievers on the market by the end of spring?

I received MyFi as a Christmas gift, so I have a couple of months of experience with this.

XM broadcasts using two different methods. They broadcast using satellite primarily but also have a network of ground based transmiters near many large cities. I don't know if Norfolk is one of them. All XM receivers, I understand, are capable of receiving both types of transmission. But this also causes the "hit and miss" signal strength issues you describe.

I have also experienced that with the MyFi, but signal outages are extremely rare in the Chicago area. What can be maddening is the unpredictable nature of them. I get great reception in my office (just west of Chicago, in a steel and brick manufacturing building with no windows anywhere near me), but occasionally lose the signal while driving on the highway through farmland. I have driven through "Hubbards Cave" near downtown and not lost reception at all, but have lost it occasionally around the three story "skyscrapers" in downtown Naperville. And weather doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. You may want to check with XM to see if they have ground transmitters around your area. They make a big difference.

I have read that two more manufacturers are coming to market with the MyFi later this spring (Sony and Toshiba, IIRC), but the devices are virtually identical to the Delphi, with some slight differences in the case and button layout. The reception issues (which are VERY minor, in my experience) are more related to the positioning of the ground repeaters, not the design of the MYFi itself, from what I have read. I wouldn't expect the new devices to be any different in that regard.

Also, while I am on the topic, I had asked for a Myfi for Christmas primarily for the baseball. But after listening to all the other stations for the last two months, I can highly recommend it for the music only. I had forgotten how bad commercial radio has gotten over the years until I started listening to this instead. And the new MLB station is great. Its worth ten bucks a month alone to be able to listen to very good talk-sports radio and avoid the morons who attempt to discuss baseball on our local sports talk stations.

Cubbiesuck13
02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks doogiec. I have e-mailed XM but have not heard back from them. I would call but that is impossible for at least another few weeks. I wanted to order it online while I am gone so it will be there when I get back but I can't have it all. I prolly will try it anyway. I hope they take things back if it doesn't work.

Bucktown
02-27-2005, 11:50 PM
If you are thinking about getting XM the best deal can be found at: http://www.xmradio.com/partners

Use access code xmbbxm03

$199 Delphi MyFi
$69 Delphi XM SkyFi2 with SkiFi audio system
$49 Delphi XM SkyFi2 standalone with choice of vehicle or home kit
$89 Delphi XM SkyFi2 with Boom Box
$49 Delphi Roady 2
$49 XM Commander
$29 XM Direct

You are required to pay for your first three months of service when you make your purchase.

I bought a MyFi at CES. They had a show special ($199). The reception I got here in Appleton was awful. They have this ridulous antenna you are supposed to clip on your clothing. Even the stronger antenna didn't pull in a strong signal. I ended up selling it on eBay (for a profit).

Cubbiesuck13
02-28-2005, 04:33 AM
I got my reply back from XM about reception in different areas of the country. They said they don't give out information regarding repeaters because it is "classified". What a joke! Cell phone companies use repeaters and they give out information about reception. I e-mailed them back and wanted to know if they expected me to dump $350 on a reciever that I don't know works correctly in my area. I hope they give me some info. I really was looking forward to getting the Sox game every day. Anyone live in VA that knows about reception here?

DC Sox Fan
02-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Cubbiesuck13- I live in the Northern VA area, and I don't have any problems, unless I'm going in to the parking garage at work (obviously :cool: ) I've driven down your way- to VA Beach/Sandbridge. No problems all the way down 95 to Richmond, then 295 to 64 through W'burg, Hampton Roads, etc. Of course, it didn't like the tunnel portion of the Hamption Roads bridge tunnel, but other than that, it was money all the way down there and while I was staying in Sandbridge and driving around VB. This was the unit that came in my new Accord coupe, so I can't vouch for the portable units, but I wouldn't see them having any trouble.

Hope this helps...

Bucktown
02-28-2005, 12:21 PM
XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq:XMSR (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/finance/nm/tc_nm/storytext/media_xmsatellite_dc/14432327/*http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=xmsr&d=t) - news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/biz/nm/tc_nm/storytext/media_xmsatellite_dc/14432327/*http://biz.yahoo.com/n/x/xmsr.html)) on Monday said it would raise the monthly fee for its nationwide radio services by about $3, or 30 percent, and would fold some premium features into its basic plan.

At $12.95 per month for the basic plan, XM's new monthly fee matches that of its rival, Sirius Satellite Radio (Nasdaq:SIRI (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/finance/nm/tc_nm/storytext/media_xmsatellite_dc/14432327/*http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=siri&d=t) - news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/biz/nm/tc_nm/storytext/media_xmsatellite_dc/14432327/*http://biz.yahoo.com/n/s/siri.html)). The new pricing plan starts on April 2.

Full article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=2&u=/nm/20050228/tc_nm/media_xmsatellite_dc

DC Sox Fan
02-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Glad I just got locked in for 2 years at $9.95 a month :cool:

Cubbiesuck13
02-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Cubbiesuck13- I live in the Northern VA area, and I don't have any problems, unless I'm going in to the parking garage at work (obviously :cool: ) I've driven down your way- to VA Beach/Sandbridge. No problems all the way down 95 to Richmond, then 295 to 64 through W'burg, Hampton Roads, etc. Of course, it didn't like the tunnel portion of the Hamption Roads bridge tunnel, but other than that, it was money all the way down there and while I was staying in Sandbridge and driving around VB. This was the unit that came in my new Accord coupe, so I can't vouch for the portable units, but I wouldn't see them having any trouble.

Hope this helps...

Thanks, this is just what I was asking for. A review for my area. XM doesn't understand this but oh well. Again, thanks. It looks like I will be enjoying it in a few weeks! It's good to know it will be good when I go see the O's host the Sox too.

Rocklive99
02-28-2005, 12:53 PM
If you are thinking about getting XM the best deal can be found at: http://www.xmradio.com/partners

Use access code xmbbxm03

$199 Delphi MyFi
$69 Delphi XM SkyFi2 with SkiFi audio system
$49 Delphi XM SkyFi2 standalone with choice of vehicle or home kit
$89 Delphi XM SkyFi2 with Boom Box
$49 Delphi Roady 2
$49 XM Commander
$29 XM Direct

You are required to pay for your first three months of service when you make your purchase.

Wow, that site is awesome, I'm a little worried to use it though "By accepting the terms and conditions of the offer, you certify that you are a current employee of this retailer and agree that XM Satellite Radio reserves the right to charge the full MSRP plus other applicable fees and taxes at any time if this information cannot be verified, or if you are not authorized to redeem this offer."

Also, a little disappointed about the rate increase, gonna try and see if I can prepay and lock in the old rate

Bucktown
03-01-2005, 09:01 PM
[/font]

Wow, that site is awesome, I'm a little worried to use it though "By accepting the terms and conditions of the offer, you certify that you are a current employee of this retailer and agree that XM Satellite Radio reserves the right to charge the full MSRP plus other applicable fees and taxes at any time if this information cannot be verified, or if you are not authorized to redeem this offer."

Also, a little disappointed about the rate increase, gonna try and see if I can prepay and lock in the old rate

I would say you have nothing to fear. I have read hundreds of posts regarding this offer, and no one has had an ounce of trouble.

Here is more information:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=398193&highlight_key=y&keyword1=xm

whitesoxwilkes
03-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Glad I just got locked in for 2 years at $9.95 a month :cool:

Ditto!

It seems like everyone I know (us included) went out and bought an XM kit this past weekend.

Baseball fever: catch it!

:bandance:

Medford Bobby
03-02-2005, 11:52 AM
:?: Interesting take on MLB and it's SAT XM deal.........

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/284834p-244010c.html

again the best site for xm fans is:

http://xmfan.com/

steff
03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Ditto!

It seems like everyone I know (us included) went out and bought an XM kit this past weekend.

Baseball fever: catch it!

Not everyone you know. Money better spent elsewhere, IMO.

whitesoxwilkes
03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Not everyone you know. Money better spent elsewhere, IMO.

On what? Sirius?

steff
03-02-2005, 12:46 PM
On what? Sirius?

Nope. Important things. Like the pooper scooper lady.

MRKARNO
03-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Just FYI for my fellow XM users out there:

While the White Sox game will not be broadcast in Chicago on Saturday, XM users will be able to pick up the Arizona feed, so there will be only one day where there is no radio coverage at all coming up this week (Friday). March 8th will also not be broadcast. March 11th and 12th there will no local coverage, but the San Diego and Oakland feeds will be available on XM :D:

Brian26
03-02-2005, 08:26 PM
I received MyFi as a Christmas gift, so I have a couple of months of experience with this.

XM broadcasts using two different methods. They broadcast using satellite primarily but also have a network of ground based transmiters near many large cities. I don't know if Norfolk is one of them. All XM receivers, I understand, are capable of receiving both types of transmission. But this also causes the "hit and miss" signal strength issues you describe.

I have also experienced that with the MyFi, but signal outages are extremely rare in the Chicago area. What can be maddening is the unpredictable nature of them. I get great reception in my office (just west of Chicago, in a steel and brick manufacturing building with no windows anywhere near me), but occasionally lose the signal while driving on the highway through farmland. I have driven through "Hubbards Cave" near downtown and not lost reception at all, but have lost it occasionally around the three story "skyscrapers" in downtown Naperville. And weather doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. You may want to check with XM to see if they have ground transmitters around your area. They make a big difference.

I have read that two more manufacturers are coming to market with the MyFi later this spring (Sony and Toshiba, IIRC), but the devices are virtually identical to the Delphi, with some slight differences in the case and button layout. The reception issues (which are VERY minor, in my experience) are more related to the positioning of the ground repeaters, not the design of the MYFi itself, from what I have read. I wouldn't expect the new devices to be any different in that regard.

Also, while I am on the topic, I had asked for a Myfi for Christmas primarily for the baseball. But after listening to all the other stations for the last two months, I can highly recommend it for the music only. I had forgotten how bad commercial radio has gotten over the years until I started listening to this instead. And the new MLB station is great. Its worth ten bucks a month alone to be able to listen to very good talk-sports radio and avoid the morons who attempt to discuss baseball on our local sports talk stations.

Doogie- Thanks for the very insightful and well-thought-out information. I'm thinking about picking up one of the MyFi's, so this is great info. Really appreciate it.

Cubbiesuck13
03-03-2005, 05:35 AM
:?: Interesting take on MLB and it's SAT XM deal.........

again the best site for xm fans is:

http://xmfan.com/

That is a great site. Do you post there Medford Bobby? I saw another cubsuck SN so there are a few smart people on that board at least...

Medford Bobby
03-03-2005, 11:06 AM
:smile: Yea I've posted(sat4bob) a few times at xmfan.com.... it's a great site (like WSI) with straight forward discussions on any subjext of XM radio. I'm plannning to buy a radio, and any info on XM products, or what problems people are having or even now they have an all MLB XM radio discussion section. If you are going to commit 100 or more bucks for all this stuff, it's best to stay wise:redneck

Sounds like both xmfan subscribers and WSI xm subscribers are all happy with their radios..........:D:

http://xmfan.com/images/avatars/4252091241f5b8c4cc66f.jpgFRICKEN AWESOME!!!!!!!

Fenway
03-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Ok last night I found another XM option. I wasn't "thrilled" with the Delphi BoomBox design and wanted something smaller for my workspace.

So I go to Best Buy where Clark and Broadway meet near Belmont. I walk in the door and the FIRST thing I hear is the voice of Jerry Trupiano yelling WAY BACK (I swear to gawd) and there must have been 5 or 6 other Boston fans there.

Best Buy has their own inhouse boom-box which is smaller than the Delphi one ( but has CD MP3 AM-FM along with XM ) for $150. I picked it up and it works fine in the West Loop ( and I am NOT near a window ) It is picking up the signal from a ground repeater in the office.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684661&type=product&id=1083711826691

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/6684/6684661_ra.jpg

Fenway
03-07-2005, 01:36 PM
few more things on XM

from the NY Daily News

and from WEEI
XM also may be changing their policy before the season starts. The plan was to broadcast the HOME team feed ( so you only hear your local announcers 81 times )

That got the Yankees and Red Sox fans screaming to XM including Jonathan Swartz a lifelong New Yorker who is a Red Sox fan. He also happens to be on XM's roster of announcers.

So now it appears when Boston and New York play both feeds will be fed.

Fenway
03-09-2005, 08:49 PM
I got my reply back from XM about reception in different areas of the country. They said they don't give out information regarding repeaters because it is "classified". What a joke! Cell phone companies use repeaters and they give out information about reception. I e-mailed them back and wanted to know if they expected me to dump $350 on a reciever that I don't know works correctly in my area. I hope they give me some info. I really was looking forward to getting the Sox game every day. Anyone live in VA that knows about reception here?

try these links

Metro areaUpdatedWashington, D.C. (http://www.telebeans.org/telco/towers/notes/xm_radio/maps/wash-metro.gif)07/05/2004Richmond (http://www.telebeans.org/telco/towers/notes/xm_radio/maps/richmond.gif)07/05/2004Hampton Roads (http://www.telebeans.org/telco/towers/notes/xm_radio/maps/hampton-roads.gif)07/05/2004

These are the repeaters in Chicago
http://www.xmfan.com/album_page.php?pic_id=73