PDA

View Full Version : LaRussa knew Canseco was juiced....

spawn
02-16-2005, 04:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1992667

Nice.:mad:

MUsoxfan
02-16-2005, 04:14 PM
LaRussa is just trying to cover the asses of his players. He said many times in the past the Canseco and McGwire never used 'roids. Now that Canseco has admitted to his own use, LaRussa admits to it. LaRussa will continue to stick up for McGwire until McGwire fesses up and then he'll say "Well, yeah Mark and Jose did steroids together all the time."

RKMeibalane
02-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Skip Bayless talked about this on ESPN2's Cold Pizza (awful program) this morning. For once, what he said made a lot of sense.

:clueless

"If LaRussa knew about this when it was happening, why didn't he do anything? It's simple: the A's were winning, and so he didn't want to risk losing one of his meal-tickets. It's amazing how hypocritical these people are once the going gets tough."

The Racehorse
02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
LaRussa is just trying to cover the asses of his players. He said many times in the past the Canseco and McGwire never used 'roids. Now that Canseco has admitted to his own use, LaRussa admits to it. LaRussa will continue to stick up for McGwire until McGwire fesses up and then he'll say "Well, yeah Mark and Jose did steroids together all the time."

The loud, cash-register-cha-ching we've all heard this week is LaRussa cashing in his goodwill chips that he's built up & saved during his career... the thing is, Tony just spent his money on steroid users, namely Big Mac. He spent his money badly... just threw it away.

spawn
02-16-2005, 04:46 PM
The loud, cash-register-cha-ching we've all heard this week is LaRussa cashing in his goodwill chips that he's built up & saved during his career... the thing is, Tony just spent his money on steroid users, namely Big Mac. He spent his money badly... just threw it away.
Hmm...wasting money on a Big Mac. BRILLIANT!

"If LaRussa knew about this when it was happening, why didn't he do anything? It's simple: the A's were winning, and so he didn't want to risk losing one of his meal-tickets. It's amazing how hypocritical these people are once the going gets tough."

Bayless said this? I'm shocked and amazed! So true though. Now he comes down on Canseco because Canseco is coming down on his golden child.:rolleyes:

jackbrohamer
02-16-2005, 04:55 PM
In contrast, Bayless was relentless in covering Sosa's likely steroid use in the late `90s when he was with the Cubune.

ja1022
02-16-2005, 04:57 PM

Former Mets GM Steve Phillips basically admitted as much on ESPN radio the other day. He said in effect, if there was going to be some level of steroid use in baseball, he wasn't going to necessarily stop or prevent his guys from using them also. Kind of leveling the playing field.

I saw it the other night, and it blew me away that LaRussa looked into a camera and said, with a straight face, that Canseco is a liar and McGwire is clean. Yeah Tony, and Jacko really doesn't have some peverse interest in little boys either. Jeez, a simple "no comment" spin, which in and of itself is a comment, would have been enough to let him off the hook in the clubhouse.

The Racehorse
02-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Hmm...wasting money on a Big Mac. BRILLIANT!

Thanks... I think. :cool:

Flight #24
02-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Let's see.....

- LaRussa knew
- The FBI knew (and told baseball executives)
- The Yankees didn't know, but agreed to strike the word steroids from Giambi's contract

Were they basically handing 'Roids out at the training table? Sheesh, I mean I thought it was widespread and generally known, but the extent to which this appears to have been common knowledge is pretty disgusting. It makes the owners lack of progress until recently that much more sickly, and the MLBPA's resistance until BALCO downright criminal.

spawn
02-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks... I think. :cool:
Just think of the Guiness commercials.:D:

Gremlin3
02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Here's an interview that was in Baseball Digest in 2002. There's so many places where you can just insert the word steroids.

"THE MOST IMPORTANT ATTRIBUTE A BASEBALL PLAYER NEEDS: For myself, it has to be health. Also, determination."

Now would he just says. A true ballplayer needs steroids, not health or determination, just the juice and maybe some flax seed oil.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCI/is_6_61/ai_85481736

DrCrawdad
02-16-2005, 05:26 PM
"I think it's fair to say that Major League Baseball could have been more hard-nosed about their approach, but it's more fair to say that even any effort that they made, or would have made, would have been rebuffed by the players association," La Russa said. "... Why does the players' association do things that is really not in the best interest of the game as a whole? They're really concerned with their constituents." - Tony Larussa

Tony, both sides are to blame in this steroid matter. The owners didn't push the steroid matter hard because they were making money. The players are guilty as a group too.

Tony, you're a lawyer. So, you were aware that illegal drugs were being used and you did NOTHING about it? Tony, you shouldn't be pointing fingers.

Ol' No. 2
02-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Let's see.....

- LaRussa knew
- The FBI knew (and told baseball executives)
- The Yankees didn't know, but agreed to strike the word steroids from Giambi's contract

Were they basically handing 'Roids out at the training table? Sheesh, I mean I thought it was widespread and generally known, but the extent to which this appears to have been common knowledge is pretty disgusting. It makes the owners lack of progress until recently that much more sickly, and the MLBPA's resistance until BALCO downright criminal.Hell's Bells, Flight. I knew. You knew. Everybody with two eyes and an ounce of grey matter knew. But money talks. And it was saying "Shhh".

Flight #24
02-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Hell's Bells, Flight. I knew. You knew. Everybody with two eyes and an ounce of grey matter knew. But money talks. And it was saying "Shhh".

I know, I know. I just figurd it was kind of like underage drinking. You know - your parents know you do it, but you're not whipping out a bottle of ripple at the dining table, or leaving your receipt for the 40-oz with the mail.

But apparently, it's much more like the NBA supposedly was in the 70s, when hard drugs were openly taken in locker rooms. I'm becoming more surprised that Jose & McGwire went to the stall to shoot each other in the ass rather than just doing it at their lockers.

Mohoney
02-16-2005, 05:46 PM
This whole mess almost makes Dock Ellis look saintly.

Ol' No. 2
02-16-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm becoming more surprised that Jose & McGwire went to the stall to shoot each other in the ass rather than just doing it at their lockers.There's an easy joke there (several, actually), but I don't want to get us sent to the Roadhouse.:redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
02-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Gee, who would ever think a lawyer like Tony LaRussa might twist his account of the truth to fit an agenda quite apart from any moral purpose.

I'm seeing this guy in a whole new light.

Okay, I'll say it. I was wrong to wish Tony LaRussa would get the Sox managerial vacancy after Manuel was dismissed. Maybe there is more than just bad luck to explain why LaRussa's teams choke in the playoffs? Maybe their manager's lousy judgment is more to blame than any knucklehead the size of Flub fan George Will would be perceptive enough to understand?

LaRussa is making an ass of himself.
:o:

eastchicagosoxfan
02-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Anybody that has been involved in MLB during the last years was almost certainly aware that guys were juiced. I'm pondering if MLB players viewed steroids as many Americans view pot: If you haven't tried it, you know someone who has, and you also know someone who uses it with some regularity, at the very least, and that person will tell you that he enjoys it, and benefits from it. While you may disagree with his choice, you don't view it as something you should be sticking your nose in. You know it's illegal, but your're not going to snitch on somebody.

Maximo
02-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Gee, who would ever think a lawyer like Tony LaRussa might twist his account of the truth to fit an agenda quite apart from any moral purpose.

Okay, I'll say it. I was wrong to wish Tony LaRussa would get the Sox managerial vacancy after Manuel was dismissed. Maybe there is more than just bad luck to explain why LaRussa's teams choke in the playoffs? Maybe their manager's lousy judgment is more to blame than any knucklehead the size of Flub fan George Will would be perceptive enough to understand?

There are more than a fair share of folks in St. Louis that will agree with you.

FarWestChicago
02-16-2005, 10:39 PM

He was on the radio here today. The interviewer asked him explicity, "Are you saying McGwire never used steroids". LaRussa responed, "Mark never used an illegal substance". Yep, he's a lawyer. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

NSSoxFan
02-16-2005, 11:15 PM
He was on the radio here today. The interviewer asked him explicity, "Are you saying McGwire never used steroids". LaRussa responed, "Mark never used an illegal substance". Yep, he's a lawyer. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

You see, this is one of the things that rubs me the wrong way about this whole situation. Just because something is legal under major league baseball rules, it doesn't mean they aren't ILLEGAL!

I agree with you guys who are saying that they are seeing LaRussa in a new light. He is an ass.

TornLabrum
02-16-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm glad I didn't pay the 5 bux to get his autograph at SoxFest.

The Racehorse
02-16-2005, 11:19 PM
You see, this is one of the things that rubs me the wrong way about this whole situation. Just because something is legal under major league baseball rules, it doesn't mean they are LEGAL!

There are many people in MLB that are afflicted with pomp-ASS-itis.

voodoochile
02-16-2005, 11:21 PM
You see, this is one of the things that rubs me the wrong way about this whole situation. Just because something is legal under major league baseball rules, it doesn't mean they are ILLEGAL!

I agree with you guys who are saying that they are seeing LaRussa in a new light. He is an ass.

Did you type that second sentence correctly?

BTW, steroids are illegal.

I've got a solution...

Let them use the steroids, but raise the mound back to where it was in the 1960's and allow the pitchers to scuff the baseball and put stuff on it. Then let the defensive players use any size glove they want, cover the batters in catcher style padding, erase the back line of the batters box, raise all OF walls to 10 feet minimum, move all the walls in, make the slidestep delivery illegal, shrink the strike zone and finally, legalize aluminum bats but give the pitcher a BP net to prevent death.

It will be the MLB equivalent of dirty 4-square.

Anyone else got some stuff to throw on the bonfire... what the heck... not like the current group of owners and players give a crap...

NSSoxFan
02-16-2005, 11:47 PM

Yea, I meant to put aren't before illegal, instead of are.

DrCrawdad
02-17-2005, 01:00 AM

I've got a solution...

Let them use the steroids, but raise the mound back to where it was in the 1960's and allow the pitchers to scuff the baseball and put stuff on it. Then let the defensive players use any size glove they want, cover the batters in catcher style padding, erase the back line of the batters box, raise all OF walls to 10 feet minimum, move all the walls in, make the slidestep delivery illegal, shrink the strike zone and finally, legalize aluminum bats but give the pitcher a BP net to prevent death.

It will be the MLB equivalent of dirty 4-square.

Anyone else got some stuff to throw on the bonfire... what the heck... not like the current group of owners and players give a crap...

XLB?

spawn
02-17-2005, 08:50 AM
So let me get this straight: LaRussa is defending McGwire, saying he never used steroids, or an illegal substance, whatever. Didn't he at one time defend Canseco against the same allegations? And now he's saying he knew all along he was using? And now we're supposed to believe him when he says McGwire didnt..yeah. Ok. Sure Tony.:rolleyes:

Maximo
02-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Tony LaRussa has never mastered the art of "knowing when to keep his mouth shut". This is due entirely to his love for microphones and television cameras.

jshanahanjr
02-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Tony seems like a good person, and is standing up for his guy. I would do the same thing if I were him. McGwire did plenty for LaRussa's career from winning a World Series, to leaving 30 million on the table and walking away from the game. McGwire is a team guy, and now Tony's got his back. Right or wrong, I respect Tony. He should still be managing the White Sox.

mjharrison72
02-17-2005, 01:41 PM

I agree... I have to say I had a lot of respect for LaRussa before this episode; my Grandma was rooting for the Cards this past year solely because she wanted to see LaRussa win the series again... I was never as sentimental as she is, but I hope she's rethinking her affinities as well. The bottom line is not only was he looking the other way when his guys were cheating, but when they were doing something that could ultimately harm themselves. He had a choice to take the high road or the low road, and this is pretty low, if you ask me.

Dan H
02-19-2005, 09:08 AM

And his reptation with Sox fans is forever tarnished. The fate of MLB will be the same if it as a collective group will not stop talking in legalese.

idseer
02-19-2005, 09:12 AM

what is so hard about an interviewer answering that with ... ' yes but once again, Are you saying McGwire never used steroids?'