PDA

View Full Version : Bill Melton on ESPN1000 just after 11am (central)

CPditka
02-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Bill will be discussing the Chi Sox and the first day of Baseball on 1000 at 11central/12EST. Heads up for anyone who cares, I dont think it will be that informative, but just a lil something to excite us even further about today!

Medford Bobby
02-16-2005, 11:04 AM
:smile: I just fired up the ESPN1000 feed and heard the promo too.....just listened earlier to local Seattle sports talk on KJR AM, they had an interview with Jeremy Reed.:redneck

Hey it's baseball talk and another spring arrives with no plans to go home to Tucson...........:whiner: :(:

Only 14 days til the first beer of the year is spilled at TEP...........:gulp: l

CPditka
02-16-2005, 11:05 AM
he's on right now

Hangar18
02-16-2005, 11:07 AM
:smile: I just fired up the ESPN1000 feed and heard the promo too.....just listened earlier to local Seattle sports talk on KJR AM, they had an interview with Jeremy Reed.:redneck

Hey it's baseball talk and another spring arrives with no plans to go home to Tucson...........:whiner: :(:

Only 14 days til the first beer of the year is spilled at TEP...........:gulp: l

they had Jeremy Reed on? what did he have to say?

Melton meanwhile is saying that AJ Pierzynski is going to help big time,
and the BIGGEST KEY, is Scott Posednik. He CANT hit 244 again this year.

CPditka
02-16-2005, 11:18 AM
kenny addressed all issues this summer
team built to ozzies spec's
1&2 hitters must be on base (like ozzie's marlins)
bullpen is key (games will stop in 6th inning)
Patience at the plate.

Melty says "us against the world doesnt work on the north side" so lets not do it on the south side in response to players getting second chances (AJ/El Duque). However many people on the team have things to prove.

Pods must have much higher OBP for Sox to do well.
Joked that Pods cant steal first.

Jermaine Dye will be leader in clubhouse, doesnt understand how he can be better than Maggs defensively.

If Maggs stayed healty Bill thinks that Maggs would have been a White Sox.

Iguchi wont hit .300 (in his opinion)

Joked around about reaquiring Robbie Alomar, talked a little bit about D. Wills and how he will be missed.

Central is stronger, better for fans, doesnt care that Sox arent picked. Sox will prevail.

Discussed the Dick Allen Taco Story

PaleHoseGeorge
02-16-2005, 11:26 AM

Discussed the Dick Allen Taco Story

They didn't give credit to either Mark Liptak or White Sox Interactive as their source.

Here is Lip Man's post (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=578230&postcount=52) from last month.

But here's the winner...June 4, 1972. The Yanks are in town for a DH. Sox won the first game behind Tom Bradley. Allen rests in the second game. In the last of the 9th with two on he's called out to pinch hit (The Sox frantically had to find him because he wasn't in the clubhouse. According to Ed Herrmann and Bill Melton, Allen was found at a taco stand ACROSS THE STREET from the park!) Dick rushed back, grabs a bat and hits a three run ding-dong off Sparky Lyle to win it. The crowd went nuts, I was sitting in the lower deck in right center field. For thirty minutes they refused to leave the park! Chuck Tanner said in the clubhouse the noise was unbelieveable, the players actually felt the stadium swaying from the noise and the stomping.

THAT was an afternoon! Years later I actually got the broadcast of the game and the sound of Allen's bat meeting Lyle's pitch could be heard over the noise of 40,000 fans. It was very special.

Hmmmm....I may have to relisten to that game this afternoon!

:smile:

Lip

Even the Sun-Times columnist at least gave credit to Liptak who fed him the story. WSI readers got it first.

Who loves ya, baby?
:cool:

CPditka
02-16-2005, 11:35 AM
exactly what I was thinking about the taco story, give credit where credit was due.

Medford Bobby
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
:cool: Jeremy pretty much hopes to continue his hitting as he did during his fall call up. He's excited to be in "two hole" spot with Beltra batting leadoff and Ichiro batting third. Also alot of his future depends on him doing well in spring training or he may start the season in Tacoma......the two morning stiffs thought he was funny and upbeat interview...but then they said wait till he gets to a "real" Mariner..............(maybe like when Junior or A-Pud was with the team and never spoke to the media):whiner:

http://www.kjram.com/

They have a listen live...they use alot of ESPN1000 peolpe for Chicago "newstorys".....:bandance:

Jabroni
02-16-2005, 03:04 PM
:cool: Jeremy pretty much hopes to continue his hitting as he did during his fall call up. He's excited to be in "two hole" spot with Beltra batting leadoff and Ichiro batting third. Also alot of his future depends on him doing well in spring training or he may start the season in Tacoma......the two morning stiffs thought he was funny and upbeat interview...but then they said wait till he gets to a "real" Mariner..............(maybe like when Junior or A-Pud was with the team and never spoke to the media):whiner:

http://www.kjram.com/

They have a listen live...they use alot of ESPN1000 peolpe for Chicago "newstorys".....:bandance:Beltre batting leadoff and Ichiro batting third? :?:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sea/news/sea_news.jsp?ymd=20050213&content_id=942772&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jspWith all of this new power in the Mariners offense and Bret Boone coming off a bad year, what would you predict to be the batting order? -- Mark W., Monterey, Calif.

With right-hander Brad Radke scheduled to start Opening Day for the Twins, my lineup prediction is: Ichiro (RF), Randy Winn (LF), Adrian Beltre (3B), Richie Sexson (1B), Raul Ibanez (DH), Bret Boone (2B); Jeremy Reed (CF), Miguel Olivo (C), Pokey Reese (SS).

PAPChiSox729
02-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Beltre batting leadoff and Ichiro batting third? :?:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sea/news/sea_news.jsp?ymd=20050213&content_id=942772&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp

Ichiro batting third? That would be interesting to see. I promote Willie for DH and to hit cleanup!

Dadawg_77
02-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Ichiro batting third? That would be interesting to see. I promote Willie for DH and to hit cleanup!

If Ichiro changed his approach at the plate a tad bit, he would have a lot more power. Maybe they decided to do that this year?

Ol' No. 2
02-16-2005, 08:25 PM
If Ichiro changed his approach at the plate a tad bit, he would have a lot more power. Maybe they decided to do that this year?Ichiro is an on-base machine. Why have him 3rd and a .629 slugger leading off?:?:

I can't believe they'd actually do that. Somebody made a typo or something. That's nuts.

Dadawg_77
02-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Ichiro is an on-base machine. Why have him 3rd and a .629 slugger leading off?:?:

I can't believe they'd actually do that. Somebody made a typo or something. That's nuts.

I don't think the leadoff hitter is right, but I can see Ichiro moving down as he gets older. The aging process will take away some of his speed so the slap hitting will lose its effectiveness.

Ol' No. 2
02-16-2005, 08:41 PM
I don't think the leadoff hitter is right, but I can see Ichiro moving down as he gets older. The aging process will take away some of his speed so the slap hitting will lose its effectiveness.Maybe, but there's no sign of this happening yet. I still think this was a typo. They might move him down in the order, but they'll wait until after it happens. It makes no sense to do it now thinking it might happen.

Dadawg_77
02-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Maybe, but there's no sign of this happening yet. I still think this was a typo. They might move him down in the order, but they'll wait until after it happens. It makes no sense to do it now thinking it might happen.

I like proactive thinking. I think Reed might become a good leadoff man and it will take some time for Ichiro to adjust, better to do it spring training rather then when the games count. And it isn't think it might happen but knowing it will it is just a matter of time.

Ol' No. 2
02-16-2005, 09:12 PM
I like proactive thinking. I think Reed might become a good leadoff man and it will take some time for Ichiro to adjust, better to do it spring training rather then when the games count. And it isn't think it might happen but knowing it will it is just a matter of time.There's no way I'd move Ichiro from the leadoff spot until I started seeing signs of him slowing down. It's not as if he's just going to wake up one day and have lost his bat speed. It's a gradual process. For all we know it might not happen for several more years yet. He's only 31. There have been lots of players who kept their bat speed into their mid-30's and beyond.

Medford Bobby
02-17-2005, 02:50 AM
:o: I stand corrected with Ichiro batting first and Beltre batting third, but ya I thought I heard Reed hitting in the "2 hole"......(listening to the morning stiffs on KJR):redneck

I found this: Via Seattle Times
Q: Does Jeremy Reed have the inside track to being the starting center fielder and No. 2 hitter? What's your best guess on what the lineup will look like? Kevin, Bozeman, Mont.</B>

Finny: At this time, Reed is the center fielder. There is always the chance scouts will see Mike Cameron play well in spring, and the Mariners will trade to bring him back. The lineup will have Ichiro first, Sexson in the cleanup. While it is likely Beltre will hit third and Boone fifth with Ibanez sixth, nothing else is set. For instance, if Randy Winn is on the team he might hit second, and Reed might hit ninth to put some speed ahead of Ichiro.