PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Daily Quickie Goofball bashes SOX, too

OzzieBall
02-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Dan Shanoff, who writes ESPN's Morning Quickie listed the compelling stories for Spring Training in this order:

Today's camp openings, ranked in order of interest:

Mets: Let Pedro Era begin!

Cubs: No Sosa, no problem.

Angels: Is it L.A. or Anaheim?

D-Backs: Payroll payoff?

Mariners: Sexson and Beltre.

Rangers: Improve on '04?

White Sox: Zzzz ...

Then he had a little discussion about them in a chat:
Dan Shanoff: Last team starting up today: White Sox.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Dan Shanoff: Now, I know I took a dig in the Daily Quickie today, so let's really show some enthusiasm for the wild and compelling storylines percolating from Chicago's South Side!

Jake (VA Beach): Uh..........Lee for Posednik? That explains their season

Jonathan (Buffalo): 2 words Moving on

Nick (St Johns (Jamaica, NY)): NEXT TOPIC

Chris (Brownsville, TX): Who?

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Dan Shanoff: Wow...where's the love?

CC (Texas): Could give Minny a run for a while. I still see the Twins winning the division.

Will (Chicago): New Rotation, Better Bullpen, and if Frank can get healthy, you have yourself a possible 90 win team (MY COMMENT)

Jon (Eau Claire, WI): Can't solve Twins problem

Tom (NY): No more Mags + no more Carlos Lee + Yankee pitching refugees (literally and figuratively) = no chance.

Chris (Brownsville, TX): what story lines?

Rob (NY): Podesnick better be good, because I think Lee will have a huge year in Milwaukee.

Barry (Philly): Contreras and El Duque - a combined 96 years old.

Alvesy (VA): they are relying on EL Duque and Contreras in the rotation, they better hope the Twins fall on their faces...

Brian (Englewood, NJ): Will Jose Contreras have a break out year? I can't wait to find out! (how was that Dan?)

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Dan Shanoff: Nice effort.

Derek (Cleveland): Ozzie Guillen may be a bit unstable. He is the new Larry Bowa.

Lou (Baltimore): Compelling? Not so such about that, but in the Central they are contenders by default.

tom (parkville, md): Could contend for third.

Brian (Washington, DC): fourth in the central behing the Twins, Indians, and Tigers.

Jay (NY): 2 keys are the pitching of 2 ex Yankees and the on base percentage of Scott Posednik.

CC (Texas): right. they'll make it interesting till the All-Star break.

Steve (Ithaca): Seems like the same mediocre team they've run out every year lately.

Phil (Cleveland): The big question is can the White Sox finish ahead of Kansas City...

Jason (Scarsdale NY): traded power for speed in a hitters ballpark. Cant figure that one out at all.

Joe (Huntsville,AL): Their owner was trying to win the steals category in his fantasy league and accidently picked up Podsednik for real.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Dan Shanoff: Okay, okay...good enough. Two minutes to go, so let's move on...

Link to his article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie

Edited to put the chat in. If putting this chat in, violates a rule, please let me know.

Let's just say, that according to others in the nation, the White Sox are most definately flying under the radar.

Nick@Nite
02-16-2005, 09:58 AM
FWIW, I emailed him... basically saying that KW retooled the Sox lineup and strengthened their bullpen all the while working for an owner who refuses to break the bank. My punch line was that since it's the south side of Chicago, it doesn't merit any positive publicity.

Oh well.:D:

owensmouth
02-16-2005, 10:04 AM
The best item on the Sports Nation page is the MUTE button

I want Mags back
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Still Flying UNDER THE RADAR

NonetheLoaiza
02-16-2005, 10:44 AM
It doesn't bother me at all. I would rather have everyone doubt the White Sox and us be the underdogs so that we can surprise everyone than be picked to win the division.

SOXintheBURGH
02-16-2005, 11:01 AM
This guy is a joke.

Jerko
02-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, the Mets, D-backs, Rangers, and Mariners are so interesting. Good article.

Iwritecode
02-16-2005, 11:30 AM
This just proves that nobody outside of Chicago has a clue what KW has really done this year and are probably going to be quite suprised when the season ends...

Stroker Ace
02-16-2005, 11:34 AM
ESPN- If it's not the Yankees or Red Sox, we just don't care.

infohawk
02-16-2005, 12:06 PM
ESPN- If it's not the Yankees or Red Sox, we just don't care.

ESPN -- Eastern Seaboard Players Network:dtroll:

OzzieBall
02-16-2005, 12:26 PM

My thoughts exactly.

I'm looking forward to a huge year of South Side Baseball and if Shanoff doesn't want in, then fine.

spawn
02-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Meh...who cares what those idiots think. We prove 'em wrong on the field. End of story.

SomebodyToldMe
02-16-2005, 12:42 PM
I agree with what someone posted yesterday. Lee's with us and he gets no recognition. We trade him and he becomes the best left fielder in the game.

Troupis
02-16-2005, 12:53 PM
To add to ESPN's moronic, looking for a story, take on the divisions today:

Jayson Stark on Mike & Mike this morning said that the AL Central was intriguing because Cleveland has the most deph of any team in the majors and that they along with Deroit and the Twins would battle it out.

ESPN's take on the AL Central is about as good as their biased take on steroids.

OH, he also said that the CUBS would win the NL Central outright.

ouch!

WhiteSoxFan84
02-16-2005, 12:58 PM
This just proves that nobody outside of Chicago has a clue what KW has really done this year and are probably going to be quite suprised when the season ends...

According to SI.com via the Chicago Tribune, KW is on the hot seat along with Jim Hendry and a few others. So someone in Chicago has him fighting for his job.

Some of you may remember me saying earlier this offseason that if the Sox didn't make the playoffs this year I'd like to see KW removed as GM of the White Sox. I still stand behind that.

Baby Fisk
02-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Think of how sweet it's gonna be when they come running after the bandwagon. :whatever:

soxtalker
02-16-2005, 01:45 PM
That's fantastic! (I'm not being sarcastic.) It says that we are flying under the radar with fans -- and probably media -- in most of the rest of the country. Wouldn't want it any other way. Unfortunately, that probably isn't true for the teams, which have a lot more motivation to understand the competition.

Now, let's flip things around. Which teams are WE underestimating?

nccwsfan
02-16-2005, 02:03 PM
October 23rd, 2005...

http://espn.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Dan Shanoff: So who wins the World Series, the Braves or the White Sox?

Chris (Brownsville, TX): Oh definitely the White Sox- I've been a die hard fan since August...Contreras and El Duque are awesome!!!

I'm sure no one was putting money down on the Marlins two years ago, so this is all OK by me. Let the ESPN guys continue down their NYY/BoSox/Cubs path...

Foulke You
02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Interesting read there. Wow, there are a ton of arrogant fools on that chat. Notice how they only mention the ex-Yankee pitchers like those are the only ones in our rotation. They make no mention of two possible 18-20 game winners in Freddy Garcia and Mark Buehrle. No mention of our much improved bullpen (with the exception of Ozzieball's comment), no mention of AJ Pierzynski, Dye, or Iguchi either. In fact, I would wager a guess that most of those morons don't even know we signed those guys. It's funny to me that all of these baseball "experts" don't have a clue as to what Kenny has done with our club this offseason. Kenny is beyond flying under the radar this offseason. He is in full-on stealth mode with cloaking shield.

Let's get this season started, I'm eager for our club to make them all look silly.

Foulke You
02-16-2005, 02:34 PM
I agree with what someone posted yesterday. Lee's with us and he gets no recognition. We trade him and he becomes the best left fielder in the game.

Man, did you ever hit the nail on the head! Nobody outside of Sox fans appreciated Lee before and now that he is gone, you would have thought we dealt Ted Williams for a punch and judy hitter and some cracker jack. I love how they only bring up Podsednik for Lee straight up as if that was the only thing KW did with the money. No mention that the trade was essentially Lee for Pods, Vizcaino, AJ, and El Duque! Of course, this would require some knowledge and we know ESPN sports writers tend to lack a lot of that.

zach074
02-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Phil (Cleveland): The big question is can the White Sox finish ahead of Kansas City...

I love how cocky the Indians fans have become, they are right up there with the Cubs as teams I can't wait to watch fall on their faces.

SOXintheBURGH
02-16-2005, 03:28 PM

I love how cocky the Indians fans have become, they are right up there with the Cubs as teams I can't wait to watch fall on their faces.

I hear ya. Sadly, I live about 2 hours from these imbeciles. Steelers and Browns rivalry makes me hate them, but all my years of Sox fandom made me hate Cleveland years before then.

Cleveland- The Mistake on the Lake

Church Turtle
02-16-2005, 03:35 PM
LOL :D: . If it wasn't for the beer-garden up north, his Airness and od footage of the Superbowl shuffle, they wouldn't know Chicago even exists.

SOXSINCE'70
02-16-2005, 03:53 PM

ESPN- Eastern
Sports
Nimrods

Station motto: "If it ain't the sCrUBS,who cares??":angry: :angry:

OzzieBall
02-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Interesting read there. Wow, there are a ton of arrogant fools on that chat. Notice how they only mention the ex-Yankee pitchers like those are the only ones in our rotation. They make no mention of two possible 18-20 game winners in Freddy Garcia and Mark Buehrle. No mention of our much improved bullpen (with the exception of Ozzieball's comment), no mention of AJ Pierzynski, Dye, or Iguchi either. In fact, I would wager a guess that most of those morons don't even know we signed those guys. It's funny to me that all of these baseball "experts" don't have a clue as to what Kenny has done with our club this offseason. Kenny is beyond flying under the radar this offseason. He is in full-on stealth mode with cloaking shield.

Let's get this season started, I'm eager for our club to make them all look silly.

I was super surprized to see my comment fly up on the chat, especially with all of the other fans taking shots. The CLEE comment is right on. Carlos is a great ballplayer, but with all that was said about his skills in the clubhouse and his intangibles, I'm happier without him.

I feel that while this 2005 edition has less pop, that the speed and BASEBALL intelligence increase will make up for it. Instead of Carlos and Jose making silly baserunning mistakes, or swinging for the bomb, we should have a better situational team. At the very least, it will be a fun year.

Cheers to a great season :gulp:

maurice
02-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Respect for the Twins is well-deserved, but the rest is crap. OTOH, the crap only makes me feel better about the Sox chances, since every negative prediction relies on nonsense like:
- The Twins improved themselves this offseason
- The Injians have a deep pitching staff
- The Tigers have a deep pitching staff
- Ordonez was productive for the Sox in 2004
- Ordonez certainly will be 100% healthy in 2005
- Mauer certainly will be 100% healthy in 2005 and beyond
- Hernandez is bad even when healthy
- Garland is a bad 4th or 5th starter
- Buehrle & Garcia don't exist
- Marte, Hermanson & Vizcaino don't exist
- Pierzynski, Dye & Iguchi don't exist
- Lee / Podsednik was a straight-up swap
- The Sox will struggle to hit more than 150 HR
- KW traded away scores of good minor leaguers
- Unproven young players on other teams certainly will improve
- Young veterans on the Sox certainly will decline sharply

Remember, these are the same boobs who predicted that KC would dominate the AL Central for years to come.
:dtroll:

Iwritecode
02-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Now, let's flip things around. Which teams are WE underestimating?

The Sox are the only team I really follow so if I tried to predict the placement of any other team in baseball I'd probably come out sounding just as foolish as those guys did about the Sox.

Or worse yet, I'd end up sounding like an ESPN analyist...

Cowhead418
02-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Respect for the Twins is well-deserved, but the rest is crap. OTOH, the crap only makes me feel better about the Sox chances, since every negative prediction relies on nonsense like:
- The Twins improved themselves this offseason
- The Injians have a deep pitching staff
- The Tigers have a deep pitching staff
- Ordonez was productive for the Sox in 2004
- Ordonez certainly will be 100% healthy in 2005
- Mauer certainly will be 100% healthy in 2005 and beyond
- Hernandez is bad even when healthy
- Garland is a bad 4th or 5th starter
- Buehrle & Garcia don't exist
- Marte, Hermanson & Vizcaino don't exist
- Pierzynski, Dye & Iguchi don't exist
- Lee / Podsednik was a straight-up swap
- The Sox will struggle to hit more than 150 HR
- KW traded away scores of good minor leaguers
- Unproven young players on other teams certainly will improve
- Young veterans on the Sox certainly will decline sharply

Remember, these are the same boobs who predicted that KC would dominate the AL Central for years to come.
:dtroll:

I hear you - I really hate it when people act like Iguchi, Vizcaino and AJ don't exist (or they'll say AJ is a cancer). They give crap like Garland isn't a major-league pitcher and they act like Magglio had an MVP-like year last year.
Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin:roflmao: are like superstars now. I swear if KW released Borchard people would be like "He has more potential than any player I've ever seen. He's the next Ted Williams for sure."

And all we hear about is how great the signing of Millwood the Messiah is. If Millwood is SO great, then why wasn't there more teams interested in him. Hmmm... I wonder why.

Where's the love for Marte? When I'm arguing with Cub fans about whose bullpen is better Sox or Cubs and I bring up Marte they always say "Marte is one of the worst pitchers in the league. I mean who bounces a pitch to the plate to walk in the winning run? He sucks.":rolleyes: What is in that Cubbie kool-aid that makes Cub fans so unbelieveably dumb:?: ?

oeo
02-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Think of how sweet it's gonna be when they come running after the bandwagon. :whatever:

Exactly, or actually I don't even want them on the bandwagon, I hope they doubt us the whole year. I could care a less about the publicity they're not getting if they're winning.

balke
02-16-2005, 08:15 PM
The comment about podsednik was a pretty funny. Fantasy #'s for stolen bases. I can't disagree about Lee probably going to bust it loose either. WE WILL MISS HIM. But I STILL like the trade.

Kenny was put in a tough spot, we had this coming as a result of last year's injuries. People can pick at us, we don't look like a WS contender, so why should they care. And they could easily be right about Contreres and El Duque. Plus, who is Iguchi?

We just gotta hope for the best. Kenny did an amazing job, it doesn't mean we have an amazing team (yet). Everyone's gotta play like they can, and hopefully they will. It's easy to forget we have Garcia and Buerhle, followed by 3 could-be studs. Hardly anyone but us knows about Rowand yet. We probably don't have a Juan pierre in Podsednik, but maybe we have the instant double we are looking for. Be positive, and sport your sox hat til someone jumps on the wagon.

scottyl
02-16-2005, 10:49 PM
What a pathetic exchange. Those guys obviously didn't know what they were talking about. They were probably just upset because they were off of their Yankees-Red Sox-Cubs talking points. Moranic.

Whitesox029
02-16-2005, 11:02 PM
These people were probably saying the exact same thing about the Cardinals one year ago. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE picked the Cards to finish 3rd in the Central. Shows what EVERYONE knows.

popilius
02-16-2005, 11:11 PM
The thing is, these guys aren't real baseball fans. . . they probably don't even like sports. You see, they went to college and got a degree in communications. A silly, insignificant job opened up, and then they spew wisecracks and garbage to amuse themselves and the sorry people who read and listen to their show (who also don't like baseball, reallly, they just like idotic laughs).

It's quite obvious they did no research, have poor reporting skills and thus their opinions are valueless. You know the saying "everyone is entitled to their own opinion?" WRONG. These people are not entitled to opinions, nor do they deserve opinions. I vigorously REJECT their opinions and their very persons.

:gulp: