Hangar18
02-16-2005, 08:56 AM
And just like that, the Evil Corporate Machine flies right out of the box
with a lead. The Cubune today saw fit to print a story about some dork
who lives in MN (complete with a picture of him and his jerseys) and his
thoughts on the Blue Machine. The Messiah gets his 1st of many stories
glorifying him among other things.

Lazy Columnist Jay you-know-who does a nice piece on why MLB owes
Big Frank an apology. I agree. From now on, I am Recognizing Frank Thomas as the 2000 AL MVP

Cubune:
5 cub stories (2 pieces fall into CubFluff/Cubpoganda Files)
1 sox story

SunTimes:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings as of 2/16/05
Cubs 7
Sox 3

SoxFan78
02-16-2005, 08:59 AM
I have missed these reports Henry, keep them up! Something to read every morning on how the Chicago Media screws us again. Cant wait for all the Bartman ball pasta stories that should be coming up.

chuckn98229
02-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Lucky you started counting after the media orgasm over Sam the Sham or we would be behind by at least a thousand articles. Good to see the Media Watch commencing again. Thanks for your vigilance.

DiGiSyKo
02-16-2005, 09:12 AM
i kinda thought this was pretty funny... cub fans are complaining about our spring training games on comcast... like they don't get enough attention http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=139589.1&ctx=0

MUsoxfan
02-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Cant wait for all the Bartman ball pasta stories that should be coming up.

It's already started. Last night I was watching one of the dopey local newscasts and they had a reporter at Harry Caray's asking people if they were going to eat the baseball, and someone else interviewing a doctor to find out if it was safe to eat a baseball. Everyone involved in this nonsense should go the way of Old Yeller

Maximo
02-16-2005, 09:17 AM
When you get a chance, Hangar, I think you need to refresh us on the ground rules, once again. Do stories about crumbling concrete at Wrigley or what's Mia Hamm doing with all that time on her hands, count for the "other team"?

Hangar18
02-16-2005, 09:48 AM
When you get a chance, Hangar, I think you need to refresh us on the ground rules, once again. Do stories about crumbling concrete at Wrigley or what's Mia Hamm doing with all that time on her hands, count for the "other team"?

The NewsMedia Watch always starts the day when Pitchers and Catchers
Report. YES, stories about Crumbling-Concrete and Even-Mia-Hamm-
Loves-The-Cubs stories all count. If anyone catches them, please let me know right away. YES, was interesting to note that a Full Story
ran in the sports section, on this Pasta sauce nonsense. Isnt it funny
that a restaurant that is in no way affiliated with the Cubs, has become the unofficial restaurant of the cubs, and does everything they can to promote propoganda on behalf of the Blue Corporation?

owensmouth
02-16-2005, 10:09 AM
How about including the Daily Southtown in your numbers?

Hangar18
02-16-2005, 10:14 AM

Reason I dont include them, is because they are a major Suburban daily
newspaper

voodoochile
02-16-2005, 10:24 AM
The NewsMedia Watch always starts the day when Pitchers and Catchers
Report. YES, stories about Crumbling-Concrete and Even-Mia-Hamm-
Loves-The-Cubs stories all count. If anyone catches them, please let me know right away. YES, was interesting to note that a Full Story
ran in the sports section, on this Pasta sauce nonsense. Isnt it funny
that a restaurant that is in no way affiliated with the Cubs, has become the unofficial restaurant of the cubs, and does everything they can to promote propoganda on behalf of the Blue Corporation?\

Hmmm... no reason? You mean other than then huge number of flubbie fans they get to spend money at their establishment all day and night? Other than the fact they are named for they guy who helped make the flubbies an International success? Other than the fact that they are making money hand over fist because of those other two facts?

Come on... Of course they've got reasons to buy into the success just like Michael Jordan's did back when the Bulls were popular. Heck, Ditka still has a restaurant in the town. Maybe the Sox need to start promoting their players better and one of them can have a successful restaurant that will feed the masses and celebrate the team and get the energy flowing so both companies can make money...:rolleyes:

kittle42
02-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Speaking of warped perceptions of the Cubs, I cannot wait to get to Vegas in a few weeks to see what the line is on Cubs wins vs. Sox wins (they have it every year). With the Cubs at like 5-1 to win the WS, I am putting at least a grand on the Sox in that heads-up match.

itsnotrequired
02-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Glad to see the NewsMedia Watch back for another season. Keep up the good work!

Kogs35
02-16-2005, 12:12 PM
hangar good to see these back i used the info in my sports marketing, and pr classes for the spring2004 semester.

Brian26
02-16-2005, 01:12 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see John Rooney got about 40 minutes on CLTV last night to talk Sox baseball with Lou Cannelus.

voodoochile
02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
Speaking of warped perceptions of the Cubs, I cannot wait to get to Vegas in a few weeks to see what the line is on Cubs wins vs. Sox wins (they have it every year). With the Cubs at like 5-1 to win the WS, I am putting at least a grand on the Sox in that heads-up match.

I would question that decision. The NLC is going to be noticably weaker this season while the ALC is going to be improved and the flubbies still have a top tier starting rotation.

This is not the slam dunk you think it is, IMO.

Viva Medias B's
02-16-2005, 01:40 PM

Today, the Southtown would have gone the Cubs' way. There was no White Sox coverage in the Southland's primary newspaper today, unless I missed it which is entirely possible. Still, there are way too many Cubgasms eminating from the newspaper at 159th and Harlem. When did the Southtown become the Northtown?

Iwritecode
02-16-2005, 02:11 PM
I would question that decision. The NLC is going to be noticably weaker this season while the ALC is going to be improved and the flubbies still have a top tier starting rotation.

This is not the slam dunk you think it is, IMO.

The Cardinals are still pretty good, the Astros will get a full season of Pettite and Clemens, and the Brewers have a pretty good left-fielder (they'll still be fighting with the Pirates and Reds for 4th place though).

The Cubs lost a lot of offense in Sosa and Alou and still don't have a 5th starter or a closer.

It could be a pretty tight race in the NLC this year...

DrCrawdad
02-16-2005, 03:28 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-02/16319951.jpg
Ozzie, Bruce LeVineLine. I have one quick
question for you then I have to run over to
cover the team I love, the Cubbies.

voodoochile
02-16-2005, 03:31 PM
The Cardinals are still pretty good, the Astros will get a full season of Pettite and Clemens, and the Brewers have a pretty good left-fielder (they'll still be fighting with the Pirates and Reds for 4th place though).

The Cubs lost a lot of offense in Sosa and Alou and still don't have a 5th starter or a closer.

It could be a pretty tight race in the NLC this year...

I thought Clemens was reitiring and the Astros lost Beltran. No other team in that division is very good. Cardinals are the Cardinals, but Indians and Tigers will both be better this year and the Twins are still rock solid.

It just seems that even though the Sox did more to improve this off-season than the flubbies, their division went backwards while ours got stronger. From a head to head win total perspective, I just don't see the Sox being shoe-ins to win the bet the way Kittle does.

JB98
02-16-2005, 05:15 PM

Big Frank an apology. I agree. From now on, I am Recognizing Frank Thomas as the 2000 AL MVP

Cubune:
1 sox story

SunTimes:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings as of 2/16/05
Cubs 7
Sox 3

A co-worker of mine approached my desk this afternoon and said he was embarrassed to be a Cubs fan today because the bias of the Tribune was so obvious this morning.

Vestigio
02-16-2005, 05:59 PM
I thought Clemens was reitiring and the Astros lost Beltran.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/hou/y2005/m01/d21/c933232.jsp

cubhater
02-16-2005, 07:24 PM
i kinda thought this was pretty funny... cub fans are complaining about our spring training games on comcast... like they don't get enough attention http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=139589.1&ctx=0

This is my favorite response...

From: missing34 (http://www.forums.mlb.com/dir-app/bbcard/profile.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&uid=292096760) 2:49 pm To: jasonmarkus (http://www.forums.mlb.com/dir-app/bbcard/profile.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&uid=784308330) unread (8 of 18) 139589.8 (http://www.forums.mlb.com/ml-cubs/messages?msg=139589.8) in reply to 139589.7 (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=139589.1&ctx=0#a7) Kind of stinks when the media shows bias

Ol' No. 2
02-16-2005, 07:50 PM

Cubune:
1 sox story

SunTimes:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings as of 2/16/05
Cubs 7
Sox 3You know, Henry, the count just doesn't do it justice. Look at the space. On the top of the front page of the sports section is a Cubs story. There's the Morrisey article, which takes up part of page 1. Page 2 is all Cubs. The Page 1 Cubs story and Morrisey's article are continued on page 3. And almost the whole back page is all Cubs. Oh, yeah...There's a Sox article at the bottom of page 1 that's continued on page 3. I don't know how many column-inches that works out to be, but it's got to be at least 10 to 1.

MUsoxfan
02-16-2005, 09:33 PM
You know, Henry, the count just doesn't do it justice. Look at the space. On the top of the front page of the sports section is a Cubs story. There's the Morrisey article, which takes up part of page 1. Page 2 is all Cubs. The Page 1 Cubs story and Morrisey's article are continued on page 3. And almost the whole back page is all Cubs. Oh, yeah...There's a Sox article at the bottom of page 1 that's continued on page 3. I don't know how many column-inches that works out to be, but it's got to be at least 10 to 1.

I actually don't mind the Morissey article being there. It shows the mental deficiencies of a representative of the fans of the northside ballclub. That's not really a "Cub" article IMO. I'm actually glad it was there....just more ammo to bust balls with later.

shoota
02-17-2005, 02:47 AM

Did you read that Morrisey column? ***, that's blatant cub bias. And the subject of the article, a 28-year-old man, said he CRIED FOR 45 MINUTES after finding out Sammy was traded. OMG, you're 28 and crying over baseball!

MUsoxfan
02-17-2005, 02:52 AM
Did you read that Morrisey column? ***, that's blatant cub bias. And the subject of the article, a 28-year-old man, said he CRIED FOR 45 MINUTES after finding out Sammy was traded. OMG, you're 28 and crying over baseball!

Exactly. Morissey made fun of him the entire article. In NO WAY does that promote Cub fans....at least in my mind.

soxwon
02-18-2005, 10:58 PM
I have missed these reports Henry, keep them up! Something to read every morning on how the Chicago Media screws us again. Cant wait for all the Bartman ball pasta stories that should be coming up.

hey wasnt Harry cremated? you dont suppose they would
oh grosss !!!!

bigfoot
02-19-2005, 07:31 AM
\

Hmmm... no reason? You mean other than then huge number of flubbie fans they get to spend money at their establishment all day and night? Other than the fact they are named for they guy who helped make the flubbies an International success? Other than the fact that they are making money hand over fist because of those other two facts?
...:rolleyes:

International......hmmmm. Voodoo, I think you may be onto something here. Perhaps we should refer to the "Urinal" as IHOP, International House of Phonies!!?

cubhater
02-19-2005, 08:08 AM
OMG, you're 28 and crying over baseball!

There's no crying in baseball!!! :cool:

Whitesox029
02-19-2005, 06:38 PM
This is a quote from one of the moron Cub fans that posts at that board. The complete ignorance and stupidity of it just blew my mind.
Kind of stinks when the media shows bias
No kidding buddy. Now try being a Sox fan.

Banix12
02-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Including the Southtown and the Herald wouldn't be a horrible idea, even though they are suburban papers they are used daily as source material for most of the radio and television stations in town. Though admittedly more people use the Herald than the Southtown, at least from my experience.