PDA

View Full Version : We told MLB about Jose 10 years ago (FBI)

Fenway
02-15-2005, 03:01 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/723-0215bigback.jpg

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/281011p-240815c.html

Federal investigators warned Major League Baseball a decade ago that some of its players were using steroids, but MLB brass failed to address its looming drug scandal, an FBI agent told the Daily News yesterday.
Special Agent Greg Stejskal, who oversees the Bureau's Ann Arbor, Mich., office, said he told baseball security chief Kevin Hallinan that Jose Canseco and many other players were using illegal anabolic steroids. Stejskal's warning was based on evidence gathered during a far-reaching steroid investigation he conducted in the '90s, but the agent says the lords of the game did not act on the information.

Risk
02-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Well, it just gets better and better...

Bye bye Bud.

Risk

SOXintheBURGH
02-15-2005, 03:17 PM
:tool

Na na na na... hey hey hey...

mantis1212
02-15-2005, 03:22 PM

Bye bye Bud.

Risk

Wow, it certainly does. Bud was too busy watching McGuire and Sosa jack out the homers that year to worry about this warnings issued to him a year or two earlier...

NSSoxFan
02-15-2005, 03:29 PM
:reinsy <---Next Commissioner of Baseball??

SOXintheBURGH
02-15-2005, 03:31 PM
:reinsy <---Next Commissioner of Baseball??

:reinsy

"When we last met I was but the learner, now I am the master."

GiveMeSox
02-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Bye bye Bud.

Risk

If this shall blossom into an all out investigation into MLB's front office or a gigantic media scandal like Clinton's affair then I say we and media call for, no demand, Selig's resignation.

Fenway
02-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Is anybody SHOCKED by this??????

from the Boston Globe October 1988

WHAT GIVES, JOSE? (Boston Globe, October 8, 1988) (http://docs.newsbank.com/openurl?ctx_ver=z39.88-2004&rft_id=info:sid/iw.newsbank.com:NewsBank:BGBK&rft_val_format=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx&rft_dat=0EADEE9088333921&svc_dat=InfoWeb:aggregated4&req_dat=0F40413B3B2D7D5C)

OAKLAND -- I want the story that I cannot get. I want to sit down with Jose Canseco and talk about steroids and bodybuilding and baseball.

"Jose," I want to say. "Tell me the truth. I will present your story better than anyone else will . . .

"Jose," I want to say. "We have talked many times before. I think this situation has to be explained. The fans in Boston were having great fun with that 'ste-roids, ste-roids' cheer. They've made this an issue."

He has denied the charge that he built his body by taking steroids as a minor leaguer. He vaguely has threatened legal action against Tom Boswell of the Washington Post, who made the charge. There has been no shouting in any of this. He has been nice, a gentleman.

voodoochile
02-15-2005, 03:54 PM
U

G

L

Y

MLB ain't got not alibi...

This **** is ugly...

I mean it's one thing to have a disgruntled former employee making statements, but when the FBI weighs in and say, "Hey, we told them 15 years ago they had a problem and they ignored it" we... Like Dandy Don said...

Turn out the lights the party's over...

TheBull19
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Special Agent Greg Stejskal, who oversees the Bureau's Ann Arbor, Mich., office, said he told baseball security chief Kevin Hallinan that Jose Canseco and many other players were using illegal anabolic steroids. Stejskal's warning was based on evidence gathered during a far-reaching steroid investigation he conducted in the '90s, but the agent says the lords of the game did not act on the information.

Why, then, didn't the FBI do anything about it, I wonder? You'd think federal law enforcement would have more power to take action than anyone.

Risk
02-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Why, then, didn't the FBI do anything about it, I wonder? You'd think federal law enforcement would have more power to take action than anyone.

Probably since most of the players in the MLB were only users, not dealers.

Risk

Dan H
02-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Bye bye Bud.

Risk

Wasn't the media only recently trying to tell us that Selig was the best commissioner ever? How many people have stuck their heads in the sand? Are you listening, Rick Telander?

Risk
02-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Wasn't the media only recently trying to tell us that Selig was the best commissioner ever? How many people have stuck their heads in the sand? Are you listening, Rick Telander?

Yeah. The same media whores who were still shillin for Scammy, and who are still telling us that Wrigley is not falling apart and is a shrine and that Flub fans are the greatest "fans" in baseball.

Ironic...isn't it.

Risk

TornLabrum
02-15-2005, 06:28 PM
I didn't see it reported here, but I heard on ESPN-1000 that the Commissioner's Office is denying that they were ever told by this guy that steroids were a problem.

I hope the guy took notes.

ode to veeck
02-15-2005, 07:37 PM
what's the big news here folks, everyone knows baseball's been turning a blind eye to the steroids issue for many years

NonetheLoaiza
02-15-2005, 08:33 PM
what's the big news here folks, everyone knows baseball's been turning a blind eye to the steroids issue for many years

I agree. The only difference is that this time they might have a source that confirms they knew. Bye Bud...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I agree. The only difference is that this time they might have a source that confirms they knew. Bye Bud...

A credible source, too. I'm half waiting for some Doubting Thomas to come forward and say Canseco, Bonds' girlfriend, and the FBI are just money-grubbing whores!

:cool:

:hawk
"You can put it on the board."

TornLabrum
02-15-2005, 08:44 PM
A credible source, too. I'm half waiting for some Doubting Thomas to come forward and say Canseco, Bonds' girlfriend, and the FBI are just money-grubbing whores!

:cool:

:hawk
"You can put it on the board."

Canseco, Bonds' girlfriend, and the FBI are just money-grubbing whores!

Now I'll go back and bury my head in the sand like the media types did for a decade.

Viva Medias B's
02-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Uncle Bud knew this steroid stuff was going on and pretended it did not. He is as guilty as the steroid users themselves.