PDA

View Full Version : JR--- A different approach

Paulwny
10-25-2001, 07:49 AM
To try and increase attendance-- LOWER TICKET PRICES!

Wednesday, October 24, 2001

Devil Rays slash some ticket prices
ST.PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Rocked by steadily declining attendance, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are dropping ticket prices for 9,500 seats at Tropicana Field.

In addition, the club will hold the line on 13,700 seats as part of a plan that trims the average ticket price from $17.86 to $17.79 for next season.

The most economical season ticket for 2002 will be $299 in the Beach section, located in the upper deck in left field. In addition, a portion of the Beach will feature seats at $2 for senior citizens and children and $5 for adults.

Lower box seats will drop from $30 to $25 and Terrace box seats will decrease from $23 to $19. All other individual price categories will remain the same.

The Devil Rays drew more than 2.5 million fans in their inaugural season in 1998. They ranked 28th in attendance this year, drawing just under 1.3 million for an average of 16,029 per game.

FarWestChicago
10-25-2001, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
To try and increase attendance-- LOWER TICKET PRICES!
:reinsy

This makes no sense to me. I think you increase profits by raising ticket prices.

Iwritecode
10-25-2001, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

This makes no sense to me. I think you increase profits by raising ticket prices.

You know, this statement is so true it just makes you want to cry.
Is it really that hard for JR to understand that if nobody buys the tickets at $15 then raising the price to $20 isn't going to increase profit one bit?!?

Wasn't it PHG who had suggested at one time to just start giving away upper deck tickets (the ones that noone ever buys anyway)? Or at least lower them to $5 or something really low. That way they could at least make money on consessions.

The only problem is that idea makes WAY too much sense. JR would never go for it. It would almost be like doing something right.

FarWestChicago
10-25-2001, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Wasn't it PHG who had suggested at one time to just start giving away upper deck tickets (the ones that noone ever buys anyway)? Or at least lower them to $5 or something really low. That way they could at least make money on consessions.

Yep, it was PHG. It made sense then and it makes sense now. It's such a simple concept, yet beyond Reinsy's understanding.

Iwritecode
10-25-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Yep, it was PHG. It made sense then and it makes sense now. It's such a simple concept, yet beyond Reinsy's understanding.

How many members are on this board? It's over 100 right? Plus I'm sure most of us know a few more Sox fans not on here. Plus the troll board. Do you think if we all started e-mailing this idea to JR it would get through to him? I'm sure I could hit "send" a few hundred times a day if I knew where to send it to...

FarWestChicago
10-25-2001, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I'm sure I could hit "send" a few hundred times a day if I knew where to send it to... It's probably something like reinsy@dumbass.org

Paulwny
10-25-2001, 01:07 PM
It just dawned on me, I sure there was a post about JR receiving $$$ or some other $$$ option if attendance isn't a certain no. Maybe that why lowering ticket prices isn't an option. I'm sure his bean counters have looked into this.

We don't understand the big picture, the lower the attendance, the lower the over-all payroll, the more JR can complain and not have to go after FA,s and the greater the reimbursment.

He'd probably make a bundle with a last place team and an ave. attendance of 5,000. He should sell the sox, get the same deal with the expos and we'd all be happy plus he'd make more $$$. His bean counters should look at this option.

FarWestChicago
10-25-2001, 01:12 PM
He'd probably make a bundle with a last place team and an ave. attendance of 5,000. He should sell the sox, get the same deal with the expos and we'd all be happy plus he'd make more $$$. His bean counters should look at this option.

And that is one place I don't skimp. My bean counters are very well paid!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-25-2001, 05:24 PM
It just dawned on me, I sure there was a post about JR receiving $$$ or some other $$$ option if attendance isn't a certain no. Maybe that why lowering ticket prices isn't an option. I'm sure his bean counters have looked into this.

We don't understand the big picture, the lower the attendance, the lower the over-all payroll, the more JR can complain and not have to go after FA,s and the greater the reimbursment.

I agree. Jerry thinks there is more gold to be mined complaining about "the economics of baseball" and indifferent Sox Fans, than there is doing something to rebuild his fan base. They used to discount the upper-deck seats for weeknight games but never promoted the deal. They eliminated it when they raised prices a few years ago.

I'm sure the state stadium authority would cut a deal with Reinsdorf if he wanted to draw more fans through seat discounts. The fact he hasn't done this speaks volumes about the real motive behind Jerry's ownership.