PDA

View Full Version : Clemens to NYY if Astros fall out?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2005, 12:35 AM
This is just the mailbag that every MLB team has where a MLB.com writer responds to fan e-mails, but it's pretty interesting.

Credit to Alyson Footer, MLB.com;
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/hou/news/hou_news.jsp?ymd=20050214&content_id=943087&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp

I've heard the reports, spoken with Drayton McLane and corresponded with Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks. There is no written agreement that states Roger would be traded, to the Yankees or anyone else, if the Astros are out of the race by the trade deadline. Hendricks stated that Clemens is optimistic about the young talent coming up this year and realizes impact players could be added as the season progresses.

Here's my take on it. The notion that a high-salaried player who is in the final year of his contract, or the only year of his contract in Clemens' case, could be traded at the deadline is not news. This has been going on for years. The Astros benefitted from this in 1998 when they nabbed Randy Johnson from the Mariners.

Roger has a no-trade clause and can control what happens to him in the second half of the season. Is it his plan right now to play for the Yankees in August and September? No. But if the Astros are not contenders at the trade deadline, I'm sure there will be some discussion as to what to do with the Rocket. This does not mean anything will happen. It simply means all options will be explored. If the Astros are out of it on July 31, do I think Clemens could be trade bait? Perhaps. But at this time, are the Astros and Clemens planning some grand scheme? No. Clemens is an Astro, he wasn't interested in signing anywhere else and he likes playing at home.

Just a thought, but can you imagine facing these guys in the playoffs;
Randy Johnson
Roger Clemens
Mike Mussina
Carl Pavano?

Disgusting.

FightingBillini
02-15-2005, 02:13 AM
You cant seriously believe this. Clemens wants to win, but I doubt that he would want to leave home and family again. It is assanine to talk about this before the season even started. Most importantly, the Yankees have NOTHING in their farm system. The Astros arent just going to give away one of the best pitchers of all time for nothing because the Yankees can't win with a mere $200mil payroll.

Jabroni
02-15-2005, 03:50 AM
You cant seriously believe this. Clemens wants to win, but I doubt that he would want to leave home and family again. It is assanine to talk about this before the season even started. Most importantly, the Yankees have NOTHING in their farm system. The Astros arent just going to give away one of the best pitchers of all time for nothing because the Yankees can't win with a mere $200mil payroll.Just for the playoff run after the trading deadline? Why not? If the Astros are out of it by then he can try to win one last World Series with the Yankees and then retire.

Nick@Nite
02-15-2005, 04:13 AM
I can see Clemens hanging around until he exhausts his supply of B-12 shots.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2005, 12:33 PM
You cant seriously believe this. Clemens wants to win, but I doubt that he would want to leave home and family again. It is assanine to talk about this before the season even started. Most importantly, the Yankees have NOTHING in their farm system. The Astros arent just going to give away one of the best pitchers of all time for nothing because the Yankees can't win with a mere $200mil payroll.

Why can't I believe it? Clemens puts himself first. He came to Houston last year thinking they'd win the pennant. This year, he came back for the $$$ and if he can get away with it, he'll go to New York, knowing they have a great shot of winning the World Series, and he'll go out with another World Series title.

SOXintheBURGH
02-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Why can't I believe it? Clemens puts himself first. He came to Houston last year thinking they'd win the pennant. This year, he came back for the $$$ and if he can get away with it, he'll go to New York, knowing they have a great shot of winning the World Series, and he'll go out with another World Series title.

Like said earlier, I don't think he would want to leave home and his family just for another WS.. if he didn't have any rings, then absolutely he would.

ChiSoxRowand
02-15-2005, 02:24 PM
It's would only be for 2-3 months.

Fenway
02-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't discount him coming back to Fenway either. The reason he left is long out of baseball.

FightingBillini
02-15-2005, 02:35 PM
It's would only be for 2-3 months.

Yes, but you all are missing the most important point of my post. He wont go to New York because the Yankees have NOTHING to trade for him. They have nothing in their farm system anymore. Unless they want to trade someone on their current roster, they have nothing of remote value. And that brings up the question, what is the value of one of the best pitchers of all time?
No way it happens.

mjharrison72
02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Just a thought, but can you imagine facing these guys in the playoffs;
Randy Johnson
Roger Clemens
Mike Mussina
Carl Pavano?

Disgusting.

You forgot Jaret Wright. He is without a doubt the best free-agent catch of the offseason and destined to win several Cy Youngs. He definitely has the track record to prove it.

BridgePortNative
02-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Uhg, is it me or does every one of these incredibly talented sports writers believe every highly paid talented ball player will go to the Yankees?

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Uhg, is it me or does every one of these incredibly talented sports writers believe every highly paid talented ball player will go to the Yankees? How ridiculous. Everyone knows they all want to play for the Cubs.

ode to veeck
02-15-2005, 07:40 PM
What's the Score!?! is where this one belongs ...

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
02-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Yes, but you all are missing the most important point of my post. He wont go to New York because the Yankees have NOTHING to trade for him. They have nothing in their farm system anymore. Unless they want to trade someone on their current roster, they have nothing of remote value. And that brings up the question, what is the value of one of the best pitchers of all time?
No way it happens.

the yankees have lots of money i you can bet that the yanks would pony up big money and send it to houston. 10 mil and 5 garbage prospects? that'd be hard to resist for many owners out there.

FightingBillini
02-16-2005, 01:25 AM
the yankees have lots of money i you can bet that the yanks would pony up big money and send it to houston. 10 mil and 5 garbage prospects? that'd be hard to resist for many owners out there.

The problem is that only enough money can change hands to cover the salary of the aquired players. By MLB rules, the Yankees would only be able to send enough money to cover the salaries of those 5 "garbage" prospects. So essentially, the Astros would be giving Clemens away for nothing. IF the Astros suck, I doubt he would be traded. If they are looking to trade him, every team short of the Nationals will be able to put up a better package than the Yankees.

Flight #24
02-16-2005, 10:51 AM
The problem is that only enough money can change hands to cover the salary of the aquired players. By MLB rules, the Yankees would only be able to send enough money to cover the salaries of those 5 "garbage" prospects. So essentially, the Astros would be giving Clemens away for nothing. IF the Astros suck, I doubt he would be traded. If they are looking to trade him, every team short of the Nationals will be able to put up a better package than the Yankees.

Does Rocket have a no-trade? He wouldn't have 10-5 rights, but I suppose if it came down to it, he could just say "I'll retire if it's not the team of my choice". So it'll come down to the Yankees, or maybe the Cards. Or in an event designed to make Bill Simmons head explode, maybe he goes back to the Red Cubs - that would be fairly humorous.