PDA

View Full Version : Charles Johnson hoping for trade...

Jabroni
02-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Rockies | Johnson Hoping for Trade - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:41:07 -0800

The Denver Post's Troy E. Renck reports Colorado Rockies C Charles Johnson is still hoping to be traded. "I was hoping for it. I still am," Johnson said. "This will be my first spring where I am not going to be the top guy." Deals have unraveled due to a $1 million assignment bonus for Johnson to waive his no-trade clause. Colorado declined to pay any of the bonus after agreeing to eat $8.25 million of Johnson's $9 million contract this season. Johnson is willing to drop the assignment bonus, and Tampa Bay remains his most likely receiver. The Devil Rays, however, are reluctant to part with Double-A C Shawn Riggans, believing Johnson eventually will be released.I still remember his great second half with us during the 2000 season. :whiner:

NonetheLoaiza
02-15-2005, 12:00 AM
I still remember his great second half with us during the 2000 season. :whiner:

Was it his first at bat or just game where he hit a home run for us? Too bad our run in the playoffs ended prematurely...

NSSoxFan
02-15-2005, 12:08 AM
I loved CJ when he was on the Sox, he had power to all fields. It was disappointing to see him walk during the offseason. Although, he hasn't had to many great years after the 2000 season...

SOX ADDICT '73
02-15-2005, 12:08 AM
I was about to post a lament that we couldn't hang on to this guy, but first I thought I'd check out his stats since 2000. Ugh. Give me AJ, hands down.

Jabroni
02-15-2005, 12:12 AM
I was about to post a lament that we couldn't hang on to this guy, but first I thought I'd check out his stats since 2000. Ugh. Give me AJ, hands down.Yep, his career is definately winding down.

ChiSoxRowand
02-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Didn't Johnson refuse to waive his no trade to go to LA at the deadline last year?

Jabroni
02-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Didn't Johnson refuse to waive his no trade to go to LA at the deadline last year?Yep, which really didn't make much sense. If he was a Dodger he would be their starting catcher, at least until Dioner Navarro is ready.

StillMissOzzie
02-15-2005, 12:45 AM
I recall that CJ got a pretty fat 5 year deal right after the 2000 season, which the Sox were not interested in chasing. Therefore, he must now be coming into the last year of that contract. I've always thought that signing catchers to long term deals was sound fiscal policy - look at Piazza.

BTW, CJ was also a veteran of the Kane County Cougars as a Class A Marlin farmhand. They're retired his number out there.

That said, I sure hope that the Sox aren't interested at this point.

SMO
:gulp:

Foulke You
02-15-2005, 03:25 PM
CJ was a nice renta a player pickup by Scheuler and the Sox were wise not to chase him with the kind of money he ended up getting. Wasn't it in the 5 year $50 million range? :o: Hindsight is 20/20 though, at the time, many of us wanted to hang on to CJ given that our only options at catcher were Mark Johnson and Josh Paul. Who knew that his career would take a huge downspin after 2000.

mjharrison72
02-15-2005, 03:42 PM
CJ was a nice renta a player pickup by Scheuler and the Sox were wise not to chase him with the kind of money he ended up getting. Wasn't it in the 5 year $50 million range? :o: Hindsight is 20/20 though, at the time, many of us wanted to hang on to CJ given that our only options at catcher were Mark Johnson and Josh Paul. Who knew that his career would take a huge downspin after 2000.
Seriously... he's slated to make $9 million this season? :o: :?:

idseer
02-15-2005, 06:03 PM
the very best part of his whole career happened to be the 44 games with the sox .... which i thought was very unusual. he was never as good before nor after.
more often than not we get the WORST part of player's careers.

Crede's Crew
02-15-2005, 06:08 PM
I was hurt when we didn't bring him back. I directed my anger at Uncle Jerry, and hate him to this day. Sandy Alomar Jr. never sufficed. Thank God we have AJ.

Kogs35
02-15-2005, 06:39 PM
he went back to the marlins because he wanted to be near his sick mother. after she passed he was traded if i recall correctly

havelj
02-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Betcha the Cardinals go after him.

ode to veeck
02-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I liked how he was like the human backstop behind the plate in 2H'00, but in retrospect, his career since has been slowly downward

PaleHoseGeorge
02-15-2005, 09:31 PM
the very best part of his whole career happened to be the 44 games with the sox .... which i thought was very unusual. he was never as good before nor after.
more often than not we get the WORST part of player's careers.

Hell, Johnson practically carried the Sox the last 6 weeks of the 2000 season. He was unbelievable. The pitchers were all landing on the DL and the Sox hitters needed to make up the difference. CJ was huge.

Jabroni
02-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Hell, Johnson practically carried the Sox the last 6 weeks of the 2000 season. He was unbelievable. The pitchers were all landing on the DL and the Sox hitters needed to make up the difference. CJ was huge.Yep, CJ was the man for us in 2000. Not a bad replacement for the horrible Mark Johnson, who didn't even make the playoff roster.

idseer
02-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Hell, Johnson practically carried the Sox the last 6 weeks of the 2000 season. He was unbelievable. The pitchers were all landing on the DL and the Sox hitters needed to make up the difference. CJ was huge.

which is why it drove me up a wall when we didn't find a way to keep him.
but on reflection .............