PDA

View Full Version : Juiced: Wild Times, Rampid Roids, etc.

Clembasbal
02-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Firstly, I am probably the only guy that actually went out to buy this book today.

Secondly, I am also the only guy that finished it the same day I bought it...never having put it down.

Finally, I am glad that I bought it and read it. It was a good book. There are a ton of interesting things that are said throughout.

I don't agree with some of his statements, but it is interesting on why he wrote the book, who he names, others he doesn't and why, his life outside of baseball, the media, and so on.

The only thing that I really hated was when he named Dave Martinez as a steroid user. He says that Martinez was drafter by the Cubs, and played for them, the Expos, the Giants, the Devil Rays and other teams...can you name the WHITE SOX!!!! Also, he never mentions his time with the Sox, ever. Not one thing. The book is almost all about steroids in the game, you would think he would mention the boycott by the Sox players, Nope.

Read it, it is good...I did notice a few grammatical mistakes though.

He has a nice section on corked bats and Belle and Sosa.

This picture is in the book:
:canseco

Jabroni
02-14-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm surprised Canseco never mentioned playing for the White Sox. I know that the book is mainly about steroids but he needed those 2 stolen bases with us in 2001 to become the 8th player all time to hit 400 homers and steal 200 bases.

Rocklive99
02-14-2005, 10:31 PM
I was going to pick it up or possibly go to a library since I'm a fan of baseball and think it'd be an interesting read, but have too much on my plate right now with school.

Nuts, I was hoping he would write a little about his time with the Sox, just to hear about them. Did he really name Nomar or was that one website lieing?

SomebodyToldMe
02-14-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm gonna buy this book too. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow.

darklord23
02-14-2005, 10:46 PM
i was thinking of picking this book up sometime this week, good to hear that it is a good book

JoseCanseco6969
02-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Still waiting for mine in the mail. Sorry to see he didnt mention the Sox at all but glad there was no negatives about us. :D:

Viva Medias B's
02-14-2005, 11:45 PM
The book was flying off the shelves, at least in Orland Park. At about 3:15, I arrived at the Orland Park Barnes & Noble and found out the book was sold out. I do not know how many they had in stock originally. I went across LaGrange Road to the Borders, and I picked up one of the four copies left around 3:30.

I am about the begin the chapter about Canseco's mother dying. When I read the introduction to the book, my jaw dropped. The theme of Canseco's introduction was that steroids are good for you to use as long as you do so under medical supervision. He also basically takes total credit for bringing steroids into the game of baseball. I realize some steroids are used for non-sports medicinal purposes, but what Canseco says here is mind-boggling.

What baseball needs right now is for some major star who happens to be clean and not have any other baggage to disavow this lunacy. He should say something along the lines "Steroids should never be used under any circumstances."

MUsoxfan
02-15-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm glad he didn't mention the Sox. This is probably one publication where it's good NOT to be named.

Maximo
02-15-2005, 06:40 AM
I'm glad he didn't mention the Sox. This is probably one publication where it's good NOT to be named.

I'm with you on that. To be honest.....I guess I'm somewhat relieved that Sox fans apparently won't have to deal with "fallen heros", at least for the moment.

"No news is good news".

Clembasbal
02-15-2005, 07:37 AM
Canseco has some crazy sayings in there...my favorite is about the Brewers. "They are a horse**** team"

All he says about Nomar is that he, A-Rod and Tejada are the top 3 SS in the game. He does Tejada was more than likely on the juice.

He says with steroids, humans can live to 120 and 130 years old. And that they prolonged his career. That there will be no sideeffects if you use they correctly, that your balls shrink but your (thing) increases...some crap.

I wanted to read it for who he knew was on the juice, not for a propaganda for rampid steroid use. He wants them to be legal in baseball and it other sports.

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2005, 11:39 AM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20050215/lbs050215.gif

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm with you on that. To be honest.....I guess I'm somewhat relieved that Sox fans apparently won't have to deal with "fallen heros", at least for the moment.

"No news is good news".

Stole my thunder. I want the White Sox out of this WHOLE issue.

Later on this afternoon on "Around The Horn"...

:moron
"Let me tell you guys something, I read this book yesterday and here's what I think; I think he is lying. Not about the steroid use. I think he lying about WHEN he started using them. I truly believe that Canseco was steroid free until he came to the Chicago White Sox. We ALL know that the Sox and JR would allow such behavior. They would do anything to pick up a few extra fans in the bleachers. It's funny that he doesn't mention the Sox at all in this book and that is EXACTLY why I think he is lying; tell us all BUT the truth. It had to have been when he was on the southside. Heck, I saw him injecting some into Rick Telander's behind. That organization is just horrendous. Now let's talk about my Cubbies, start printing those World Series tickets baby! Chad Fox? Henry Blanco? Jerry Hairston, Jr.? Roberto freaking Novoa?? Best offseason in baseball! How can anyone doubt this team???"

misty60481
02-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Does anybody think after a steroid testing procedure is in place it will cure steroids in baseball?? I think some of the players will stay clean but a good portion will look for something that wont show up on a test, and keep right on juicing...

Ol' No. 2
02-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Does anybody think after a steroid testing procedure is in place it will cure steroids in baseball?? I think some of the players will stay clean but a good portion will look for something that wont show up on a test, and keep right on juicing...You're absolutely correct. The current program is a fig leaf. They only test for certain steroids, and they tell you which ones they are so everyone knows what's safe and what's not (wink, wink). They don't do blood tests, so they can't detect HGH and many of the newer things that are coming out. They need to follow the lead of other international sports and do comprehensive testing.

Frankfan4life
02-18-2005, 12:02 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Canseco included a story in his book about driving Frank Thomas around in his Ferrari (sp) or some kind of sports car and Frank got scared and turned "white" because Jose was driving very recklessly. I believe I read it online somewhere. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Viva Medias B's
02-18-2005, 12:16 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Canseco included a story in his book about driving Frank Thomas around in his Ferrari (sp) or some kind of sports car and Frank got scared and turned "white" because Jose was driving very recklessly. I believe I read it online somewhere. Anyone else hear anything about this?

It's in the book. Jose scared the [bleep] out of Frank.

duderanch420
02-18-2005, 12:17 AM
I saw the same thing somewhere but not sure where.