PDA

View Full Version : Who is KW's best 2005 acquisition?

mweflen
02-14-2005, 05:52 PM
This is inspired by a chicagosports.com online poll, in which they listed Dye, Duque, Gucci, AJ and Pods as choices.

Ol' No. 2
02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Can I wait and answer in September?:tongue:

HebrewHammer
02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
For the money he's getting, I'd have to say Jermaine Dye.

mweflen
02-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Whoops, forgot to add what-his-name from the Nats. Since he won't be MLB this year, oh well.

I voted AJ, because he fills a long gaping black hole in the lineup. I would say Duque if I trusted the guy to stay healthy. But I don't. :smile:

TheBull19
02-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I voted AJ, because he fills a long gaping black hole in the lineup. I would say Duque if I trusted the guy to stay healthy. But I don't. :smile:

I had to go with AJ, too. Adding a good lefty bat and huge offensive upgrade at catcher was his best move, unless Hernandez can pitch 175 innings and/or be healthy for a playoff run.

Hangar18
02-14-2005, 06:13 PM
its a TIE between AJ Pierzynski & Tadahito Iguchi.

If we hadnt given up so much (Carlos Lee) to get Posednik, he
would be the surprise winner, however, players acquired by Salary Dumping
dont count in my book, and Podsednik shouldnt be here.

santo=dorf
02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
If we hadnt given up so much (Carlos Lee) to get Posednik, he would be the surprise winner, however, players acquired by Salary Dumping

That's just ridiculous. It's his job to get creative with salaries and spend money in better places, he's the GM, not an ATM. :rolleyes:

MRKARNO
02-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Pierzynski based on cost-effectiveness, ability and the size of the upgrade he will provide.

Ol' No. 2
02-14-2005, 06:17 PM

dont count in my book, and Podsednik shouldnt be here.Then you can't pick Pierzynski, since the money to pay him came from trading CLee.:cool:

mweflen
02-14-2005, 06:17 PM
You know what the bizarre thing is, accusations of salary dumping aside, is that all these acquisitions are actually good. It's weird not to have an easy target like Mike Jackson to say "man, what is KW smoking?" about. It's like, holy cr@p - Kw didn't make a bone-headed move to acquire some no-talent prospect or last gasp veteran? What gives? These guys are all legitimate big league caliber players.

MUsoxfan
02-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I vote for Podsednik. He will be an invaluable asset to this team. All you Scotty Po nay-sayers will be singing a different tune at the end of April. This I promise

mantis1212
02-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Then you can't pick Pierzynski, since the money to pay him came from trading CLee.:cool:

Exactly, it also removes Hernandez and Vizciano from the list...

TheBull19
02-14-2005, 06:23 PM

Didn't the sox increase payroll by about 10 mil, or am I imagining something?

Jerome
02-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I vote for Podsednik. He will be an invaluable asset to this team. All you Scotty Po nay-sayers will be singing a different tune at the end of April. This I promise

Well, just going by last years batting stats and his minor league hitting stats, he certainly wasn't even close to the best aqusition this offseason.

mweflen
02-14-2005, 06:24 PM
agreed - having a legitimate base stealing threat is a real asset (are you listening, Wee Willie?)

I just want to see his OBP over .340 or so, which based on his last 2 seasons is a 50/50 crapshoot.

AJ on the other hand has had consistently good numbers for a while. So in terms of size of upgrade, he wins it.

JRIG
02-14-2005, 06:28 PM
You know what the bizarre thing is, accusations of salary dumping aside, is that all these acquisitions are actually good. It's weird not to have an easy target like Mike Jackson to say "man, what is KW smoking?" about. It's like, holy cr@p - Kw didn't make a bone-headed move to acquire some no-talent prospect or last gasp veteran? What gives? These guys are all legitimate big league caliber players.

True, but I still have the feeling come November we'll all be saying, "What!? Hermanson is signed for another year? And we have to pay him how much?"

FightingBillini
02-14-2005, 06:37 PM
:threadrules:

After thinking it over, its hard to come to a decision. El Duque will be HUGE replacing the fifth starter jokes of the past few years, and he is absolutely clutch, especially in the playoffs. Peirzynski is an All Star catcher with a career average over .300 in the AL , and he has never really played in a hitters' park. When Dye was healthy before, he was one of the best players in the game. He is now healthy again. Taguchi is a Japanese all star, and he might turn out to be a superstar in MLB, with the glove and the bat. Podsednik gives the Sox their first really leadoff hitter in several years. GREAT offseason, KW. This Bud's for you :gulp: . We filled every hole and greatly improved our team. So many great moves, its hard to pick one. If I had to pick one, it would be Dye. He can be one of the best in the game if he stays healthy. He will replace Magglio's production, and most importantly, he showed that the Sox are a good organization, a place that he wanted to play, and even took less money to come here. Hopefully that and the championship we win this year will convince other great players to follow suit and come to the Sox.
PS, whats with the damn computer calling deep pink magenta?

RedPinStripes
02-14-2005, 06:54 PM
KW isn't half as bad as some people think. Remember Schu? How creative did he get?

Kenny listens to the fans, tries like hell to get the best option possible for the short leash Jerry puts on him. For losing Maggs and Lee this season, KW has done a hell of a job replacing them for his budget and loading this team with speed, defense, and pitching in comparrison to previous years. And people will bitch when Posednick, Rowand and Dye get too expensive and leave, but he also has stock piled the minors with a great outfield.

BlackSox
02-14-2005, 07:02 PM
You know what the bizarre thing is, accusations of salary dumping aside, is that all these acquisitions are actually good. It's weird not to have an easy target like Mike Jackson to say "man, what is KW smoking?" about.

I agree -- all the acquisitions were good.

But I have to go with Hernandez. My top wish the last two off-seasons was to end the fifth-starter madness.

OEO Magglio
02-14-2005, 07:03 PM

My gawd you are ridiculous, you amaze me more and more each day.

Daver
02-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Tim Raines.

SoxyStu
02-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I, too, had to go with El Duque. Starting pitching was sooooooooo needed. The 5th starter ordeal was killer, not to mention not being able to defeat sub-par opponents.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-14-2005, 07:17 PM
I voted for El Duque, because I believe pitching is the one thing you must have to compete. Defense is next, so Dye is a great pick-up. All in all, there were no huge names ( aka Johnson, etc. ) but several very good, proven major leaguers. Each player will have an oppurtunity to contribute.

balke
02-14-2005, 07:22 PM
I voted Podsednik because of the message it sent/sends about this season. It was a defining move for the Sox. But just as I clicked send, I was like ***?! Hernandez!! That's probably the best message to send, "We're going with 5 pitchers this season". heh. They were all good moves, dont' make me pick!

RDubbs1906
02-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Jerry Owens

JUribe1989
02-14-2005, 07:28 PM
It has to be El Duque, he finally allowed us to move Garland to fifth starter and gave us a legitimate if not good fifth starter.

PAPChiSox729
02-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Very nice thread. I voted El Duque. Knowing that we won't have an automatic loss every fifth day is a comforting thought. If he can stay healthy, this maybe an even more important signing then any of us can imagine now.

:D:

PAPChiSox729
02-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Jerry Owens

I believe you mean Jerry Owens.

Jabroni
02-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Jerry Owens:)

El Duque. I'm sure we all know about the 5th starter blues.

SoxBoy14
02-14-2005, 08:22 PM
I went with AJ because I think the Sox biggest hole to fill this season was the catcher spot. We need someone reliable behind the plate who can throw out the runner at second, stop the ball from getting past him, and be able to hit decently. My next choices would have to be Dye and El Duque, but number 1 is still AJ.

OzzieBall2004
02-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Well, just going by last years batting stats and his minor league hitting stats, he certainly wasn't even close to the best aqusition this offseason.

Could give a crap about your post, but your sig is downright offensive...When was it ok to make jokes about domestic violence? I guess I missed that memo.....If you have a shred of decency, you'll realize it's not cool and come up with something better.

mweflen
02-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Statistically, one of the acquisitions will be a bust. There's no way 7 players will all perform to their highest level. Someone will be injured, lose their touch, or whatever. So is it more likely to be a pitcher? If so, whom? Hermanson seems like a good guess, though some of my Milwaukee friends say Vizcaino sucks - numbers better than his actual performance in clutch situations.

So who will be the flop?

Baby Fisk
02-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Podsednik, because a) that was the deal that got the ball rolling on other moves that followed, and b) if he lives up to expectations, he could be the face of Ozzieball/Smallball.

Mohoney
02-15-2005, 10:56 AM
True, but I still have the feeling come November we'll all be saying, "What!? Hermanson is signed for another year? And we have to pay him how much?"

I have to disagree here. He's much better than Adkins, and that alone makes it a good move.

This bullpen now has 5 guys that can get people out at the major league level.

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Statistically, one of the acquisitions will be a bust. There's no way 7 players will all perform to their highest level. Someone will be injured, lose their touch, or whatever. So is it more likely to be a pitcher? If so, whom? Hermanson seems like a good guess, though some of my Milwaukee friends say Vizcaino sucks - numbers better than his actual performance in clutch situations.

So who will be the flop?If there's going to be a flop, the bullpen is the best place for it. There's enough depth there that they can manage with 5 good ones and one turkey. You can always use him in garbage time situations. At worst he's got to be better than Mike Jackson.

SOXintheBURGH
02-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I voted for AJ for reasons that have already been expressed: glaring hole filled, left handed bat, useful against Minnesota.

mweflen
02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
If there's going to be a flop, the bullpen is the best place for it. There's enough depth there that they can manage with 5 good ones and one turkey. You can always use him in garbage time situations. At worst he's got to be better than Mike Jackson.

Whew. When you start comparing bad relievers to Mike Jackson's performance last year, we're getting into "Who's worse? Hitler vs. Stalin" territory.

I would be hard pressed to think of anyone who was worse than Jackson. The crime is his numbers don't reflect it - he earned a lot of runs for other pitchers with all those first pitch grand slams he served.

Foulke You
02-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Great discussion here, best part is, an argument could be made for several of the signings. For me personally, the key move was the El Duque signing. This is a move that not only gives us the best starting rotation we've had since the early '90s but also shows that KW might also have been thinking bigger as in, OCTOBER bigger.

El Duque's sterling postseason record certainly cannot be ignored should the Sox make the playoffs. This is a pitcher that does not get rattled in key situations like so many of our young pitchers from AAA and AA. That big game mentality of El Duque will also be key in late season matchups against the Twins. This move was worth the injury risk in my opinion, and potentially has far more upside than signing Matt Clement or trading for Javier Vazquez could ever have had.

Foulke You
02-15-2005, 12:22 PM
some of my Milwaukee friends say Vizcaino sucks - numbers better than his actual performance in clutch situations.

I don't think the Sox will be leaning on Vizcaino to be their main 8th inning setup guy as the Brewers did. We have Marte for the setup spot to get to Takatsu. I see Vizcaino more in the role that Adkins and Mike Jackson had last year for us. However, it is possible that Ozzie will bring him in to face a tough right hander in the 8th and then bring in Marte after that.

Vizcaino is supposed to have fantastic stuff but has some Garland-esque mental collapses here and there. Remember, nobody thought much of Marte when he was aquired except that he had great stuff but was never able to put it all together. We were able to develop him into one of the premier setup men in the AL. Perhaps KW believes he has found another gem like that? In any case, he has a lot of upside and even if he is a flop as Ol No.2 pointed out, the Sox have plenty of depth in the bullpen this year. Polite or Hermanson can easily step in and take up the right handed reliever slack. Ozzie should consider himself lucky that he has 3 right handed guys in the bullpen (Vizcaino, Polite, and Hermanson) who all can throw in the mid '90s. Which will also be a perfect setup for Takatsu's 68 mph frisbees in the 9th.:D:

mweflen
02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Polite or Hermanson can easily step in and take up the right handed reliever slack. Ozzie should consider himself lucky that he has 3 right handed guys in the bullpen (Vizcaino, Polite, and Hermanson) who all can throw in the mid '90s. Which will also be a perfect setup for Takatsu's 68 mph frisbees in the 9th.:D:

Politte is the weakest link. He has moderately nasty stuff when he has command, but last year he just threw like crap. I would not be very happy or hopeful relying on Politte to pick up any setup or closing slack - to me he is a last-ditch or garbage time reliever - until he proves he can throw with command.

Marte still suffers under a reputation of 'not mentally though enough'. Is it deserved? I would say yes, for the most part.

MIgrenade
02-15-2005, 12:44 PM
I picked AJ because I think he's most likely to succeed. Everyone else has question marks, but he seems pretty solid. Personality issues go away if you win.

Nick@Nite
02-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Dustin Hermanson.

If the Sox pitching staff are successful this season, it will be because Dusty can both spot start if El Duque goes down, and relieve from the right side if Shingo suddenly cannot find the plate.

As the pitching goes, so goes the 2005 Sox.

HebrewHammer
02-15-2005, 01:04 PM
I would be hard pressed to think of anyone who was worse than Jackson.

:rwhite:
"Remember me?"

:bkoch:
"Ahem."

gosox41
02-15-2005, 02:01 PM
This is inspired by a chicagosports.com online poll, in which they listed Dye, Duque, Gucci, AJ and Pods as choices.

El Duque. Only because it took KW 4 years to figure out the need to have 5 SP's.

Bob

WhiteSoxFan84
02-15-2005, 02:05 PM
OK, this is just amazing. I love it. And I'm being serious.

When the Sox were RUMORED to be going after A.J., I'd say 3/5's of WSI Nation didn't want ANY part of him. Now, after we acquired him, 1/3 of the votes have A.J. as the best ChiSox pick-up of 2005. How quickly the tides have changed.

My vote went to Podzilla. I think all of these guys should come with a "if they're able to...". What I mean is, Podzilla will be the best pick-up if he's able to hit for average and get on-base. Because from there he can cause chaos and just take over the game with his speed.

El Duque would be the best pick-up if he stays healthy all year long but I believe that is a bigger if than Podzilla getting on-base.

mweflen
02-15-2005, 02:08 PM

When the Sox were RUMORED to be going after A.J., I'd say 3/5's of WSI Nation didn't want ANY part of him. Now, after we acquired him, 1/3 of the votes have A.J. as the best ChiSox pick-up of 2005. How quickly the tides have changed.

Hey, I was never against acquiring AJ. In fact, I believe I featured AJ as a deep pink acquisition in a long-ago post. :smile: I've always wanted a .290/80 RBI man to catch for us. I don't care if he clubs baby seals on the way home from work.

edit: here's the post...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=552651&postcount=1

Ol' No. 2
02-15-2005, 02:14 PM

When the Sox were RUMORED to be going after A.J., I'd say 3/5's of WSI Nation didn't want ANY part of him. Now, after we acquired him, 1/3 of the votes have A.J. as the best ChiSox pick-up of 2005. How quickly the tides have changed. It's called DESPERATION.

mweflen
02-15-2005, 02:24 PM
It's called DESPERATION.

That's another word for it. Desperate times call for desperate measures (and desperate fans...)

Jurr
02-15-2005, 04:54 PM
I love how we're talking about who was the best acquisition of a season that hasn't begun yet. Kevin Walker may end up being the best guy, or this Owens kid. Hurry up and report, pitchers!

TheBull19
02-15-2005, 05:09 PM
some of my Milwaukee friends say Vizcaino sucks - numbers better than his actual performance in clutch situations.

Yeah, and a lot of people on the Brewers fan sites think they've got a shot at contending this year, too. They'll be dreaming about having Vizcaino and Kolb back when their bullpen mangles any hope they had of even sniffing .500.

TheBull19
02-15-2005, 05:12 PM

Not really - mathematically it's logical considering 2/5>1/3

This poll shows 88% of WSIers liked the Pierzynski signing at the time of the deal anyway

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43698&highlight=pierzynski

mweflen
02-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Hawk was on MJH saying that AJ is the best pickup this offseason.

FWIW.:rolleyes:

Jerome
02-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Could give a crap about your post, but your sig is downright offensive...When was it ok to make jokes about domestic violence? I guess I missed that memo.....If you have a shred of decency, you'll realize it's not cool and come up with something better.

Sorry If people don't like my two jokes about athletes who are also criminals. I'll change it. It was inspired by Dave Duerson talk on MJ&H. And who among us doesn't despise Pierre Pierce?

nccwsfan
02-15-2005, 07:56 PM
A.J. Pierzynski- I just think he's going to be a fan favorite by year's end.

PAPChiSox729
02-15-2005, 10:26 PM
A.J. Pierzynski- I just think he's going to be a fan favorite by year's end.

I've always hated this guy... and I'm estatic he is a White Sox now! :D:

Chisox003
02-15-2005, 10:40 PM
I've always hated this guy... and I'm estatic he is a White Sox now! :D:

Honestly, I really liked Pierzynski even as a Twin...Hated playing him, but I just love the way he plays...When he went to SF last year I was pissed because I couldnt get him in my AL only fantasy league...Cant wait to watch him on the Sox this year, ecstatic is the only word that explains what I think of him signing and I agree with the previous post that he'll be a fan favorite by years end....

El Duque, Dye, and Gooch are obviously close seconds

Jabroni
02-15-2005, 11:20 PM

When the Sox were RUMORED to be going after A.J., I'd say 3/5's of WSI Nation didn't want ANY part of him. Now, after we acquired him, 1/3 of the votes have A.J. as the best ChiSox pick-up of 2005. How quickly the tides have changed.Agreed. I can't believe some people around here would have rather began the season with Ben Davis as our starter instead of Pierzynski. What a nice offensive blackhole that would have been in lineup.

mcfish
02-15-2005, 11:26 PM

My vote went to Podzilla. I think all of these guys should come with a "if they're able to...". What I mean is, Podzilla will be the best pick-up if he's able to hit for average and get on-base. Because from there he can cause chaos and just take over the game with his speed.

El Duque would be the best pick-up if he stays healthy all year long but I believe that is a bigger if than Podzilla getting on-base.I'm still not sure about AJ. I certainly hope he works out now that he's on the team, but I won't say that I was for the signing. There's something going one there that we don't know - why would SF just release him after only 1 year, especially after trading Joe Nathan for him? Matheny? Would people around here be happy about Matheny? Ben Davis can hit as good as Matheny can.

And to the person who said that it would be good to have a catcher who can throw runners out at second - AJP is not that catcher. He threw out 15 and allowed 51 SB's. By comparison Davis had 14 CS and 34 SB and Sandy Alomar had 18 CS and 27 SB. That's not to say AJP can't be a success unless he is great defensively, I'm just saying that we didn't sign him for his defense.

samram
02-16-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm still not sure about AJ. I certainly hope he works out now that he's on the team, but I won't say that I was for the signing. There's something going one there that we don't know - why would SF just release him after only 1 year, especially after trading Joe Nathan for him? Matheny? Would people around here be happy about Matheny? Ben Davis can hit as good as Matheny can.

I would have loved to have Matheny. Not only is he a great defensive catcher, but he is probably the best handler of pitchers in the game. It's no coincidence that Marquis, Carpenter, and Suppan all had career years last year.

mcfish
02-16-2005, 01:40 AM
I would have loved to have Matheny. Not only is he a great defensive catcher, but he is probably the best handler of pitchers in the game. It's no coincidence that Marquis, Carpenter, and Suppan all had career years last year.So you think he's worth just outrighting AJP for?

Either way, I am going into this with reservations. I am hopeful that everything will work out well, but I can't say that I wanted the signing to happen when it was being discussed originally and I can't say that I have no concerns now. I like everything I have heard him say and it seems that he has no attitude problem as of now (at first, even Kenny said he didn't want to sign him), so I was probably wrong to not want to sign him, but I would like to see some of the season play out before I make a final judgement on that.

samram
02-16-2005, 02:01 AM
So you think he's worth just outrighting AJP for?

Either way, I am going into this with reservations. I am hopeful that everything will work out well, but I can't say that I wanted the signing to happen when it was being discussed originally and I can't say that I have no concerns now. I like everything I have heard him say and it seems that he has no attitude problem as of now (at first, even Kenny said he didn't want to sign him), so I was probably wrong to not want to sign him, but I would like to see some of the season play out before I make a final judgement on that.

You're right to have reservations, but as for which I would rather have, it depends on the team's situation. KW wanted attitude and some production from the catcher spot (and needed it with CLee and Maggs leaving), so AJ was and is a better fit. The Giants have a lot of offense, even if it's old (really old in their case), so a defensive catcher made sense.