PDA

View Full Version : Are the White Sox the #1 Contenders for the Central Crown?

FGarcia34
02-14-2005, 05:18 PM
I know that a team that wins 3 consecutive division championships will be favorites again, however we have been the team that has been labeled the challenger for the past years as well. If you look at the moves each team made...You'd think that the White Sox improved their team significantly...However the media seems to disagree...

Our Offseason Overview...

So, we started out our offseason by signing Dustin Hermanson and the next day signing Jermaine Dye. These were very good moves. Hermanson bolsters our bullpen and Dye solidifies our replacement for Ordonez. Then, to much criticism, we traded one of our best bats in Carlos Lee to the Brewers in exchange for Scotty Podsednik and Luiz Vizcaino. When this deal first hit the site, many people were very critical of it. I thought it was a decent deal for the Sox. Not great, not good, but decent. We have gone too many seasons waiting around for the 3-run home run. These moves alone gave us a very competitve team. We then went out and signed El Duque and Tadahito Iguchi. Again, very good moves.

What we see and what the media sees are two completely different things...
The media sees a team that lost its best player in Magglio Ordonez, lost a good bat in Carlos Lee, lost a big hitter in Valentin, and won't have Thomas back until May or June.

We see a team that upgraded its pitching staff enormously. We see a team that bolsterd its bullpen. Our two biggest weak spots were our bullpen and our #5 spot. Both have been solidified. We will field a better defensive team. The media doesnt see that this is the team that finished 9 games out of .500 without Ordonez, Thomas, and a #5 starter. The media doesnt see that Carl Everett has lost 15 lbs and we might see is all-star form this season. What about Juan Uribe's strong contribution last season? Or that we are no longer platooning at catcher.

Instead, the media is looking at the flashy moves...Ordonez, Percival and Farnsworth to the Tigers. That makes them contenders, or Millwood signing with the Indians makes Cleveland have a better rotation than us. Joe Mays and Joe Mauer will be the savior of the Twins season...

I think we are the #1 contender for one reason, we do not have as many question marks as the other teams in the division. We are also for once, a very deep team. This is the first time in quite a while where I can say the White Sox have a better team 1-25 than the Twins...We usually have a better team 1-15, however those 10 role players have made the difference and I honestly believe we have made up enough ground. But if the media doesnt recognize it, so be it, I have absolutely no problem flying under the radar...I just dont want to see these jackasses jumping on the bandwagon in October.

Baby Fisk
02-14-2005, 05:21 PM
But if the media doesnt recognize it, so be it, I have absolutely no problem flying under the radar...

We all get used to it after a while.

I just dont want to see these jackasses jumping on the bandwagon in October.
That's what they get paid to do. :cool:

faneidde
02-14-2005, 05:22 PM
In a word: No.
The Twins are the favorite to win the division until the Sox step up and beat them. Every year it is the same story, the Sox have the better team on paper, but don't seem to have the intangibles that teams like the Twins have. I think getting a guy like AJ P. will help a lot, but until proven otherwise, the Twins are the favorite.

MisterB
02-14-2005, 05:24 PM
I think we are the #1 contender for one reason, we do not have as many question marks as the other teams in the division.

:o: :?: :mg:

Niagara
02-14-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm looking forward to going to the "K" to see the Sox kick Royal ass the end of April, for my birthday.:supernana:

spawn
02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
In a word: No.
The Twins are the favorite to win the division until the Sox step up and beat them. Every year it is the same story, the Sox have the better team on paper, but don't seem to have the intangibles that teams like the Twins have. I think getting a guy like AJ P. will help a lot, but until proven otherwise, the Twins are the favorite.
Agreed. As has been stated ad-nauseum, until they are knocked off, the Twins will be the No.1 contender. We may have improved on paper, but that has to be translated on the field has well.

Whitesox029
02-14-2005, 06:32 PM
These moves alone gave us a very competitve team. We then went out and signed El Duque and Tadahito Iguchi. Again, very good moves....

...we are no longer platooning at catcher.

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6109.jpg
I'll teach you not to mention me by name.

PAPChiSox729
02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
If by #1 contender you mean favorite, then no we are not the favorites. The Twins are the favorites until dethroned.

santo=dorf
02-14-2005, 08:46 PM
If by #1 contender you mean favorite, then no we are not the favorites. The Twins are the favorites until dethroned.

I was actually thinking of pro Wrestling when I saw this title. :redneck Did the Sox win the Royal Rumble? The Twins are the Champs, so yes, the Sox are the #1 contenders.

fusillirob1983
02-14-2005, 08:50 PM
I was actually thinking of pro Wrestling when I saw this title. :redneck Did the Sox win the Royal Rumble? The Twins are the Champs, so yes, the Sox are the #1 contenders.

Yeah, the wrestling connection was my first thought too.

FGarcia34
02-14-2005, 09:25 PM
I stated earlier in my post that the twins were the favorite...i meant are we the #1 challenger...or is it detroit or cleveland???

PAPChiSox729
02-14-2005, 09:44 PM
I stated earlier in my post that the twins were the favorite...i meant are we the #1 challenger...or is it detroit or cleveland???

Thanks for specifying. I would say that many see Cleveland as the #1 challenger. But I think that the Indians are overrated and that the Sox will be the Twins' biggest threat.

stillz
I got in an argument with a friend today. He was determined to squash my excitement by declaring that the Sox have too many question marks, and the Twins have a better all-around squad.

I contend that we have fewer question marks now than in the last three years, pitching and hitting.

Ozzie, the intangibles and staying healthy will be our keys. Gardenhire has been awesome since he took over for Tom Kelly, but if we play to our potential, the division crown returns to Chicago.

The media and non-fans always dismiss the Sox. Screw 'em.

Ol' No. 2
I stated earlier in my post that the twins were the favorite...i meant are we the #1 challenger...or is it detroit or cleveland???The Sox will finish in 4th place. We lost Ordonez and Lee and didn't sign anybody. If you don't believe me, just ask the experts.

FGarcia34
02-14-2005, 09:54 PM
The Sox will finish in 4th place. We lost Ordonez and Lee and didn't sign anybody. If you don't believe me, just ask the experts.

Dude, Are you kidding me? I cant believe you didn't mention Jose Valentin...What in the world is this team going to do with out him?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-14-2005, 09:56 PM
I hate this thread. We have one just like it ever winter around here. The Twins are lucky... the Sox are serious this season... blah blah blah...

Unless you're placing money on the outcome what any of us think in February about the Sox' chances won't make a bit of difference come opening day. We have six months worth of games to find out who the #1 contenders are.

PAPChiSox729
02-14-2005, 09:56 PM
The Sox will finish in 4th place. We lost Ordonez and Lee and didn't sign anybody. If you don't believe me, just ask the experts.

Don't forget that Cleveland landed Jose Hernandez and the Tigers signed 'Moneymaggs' Ordonez.
:rolleyes:

MRKARNO
02-14-2005, 09:58 PM
I contend that we have fewer question marks now than in the last three years, pitching and hitting.

Ozzie, the intangibles and staying healthy will be our keys. Gardenhire has been awesome since he took over for Tom Kelly, but if we play to our potential, the division crown returns to Chicago.

The media and non-fans always dismiss the Sox. Screw 'em.

I would say that this team has a lot of question marks, but that there's a better chance than ever that we'll have solid play from every single position on the field. There are no holes on this team in my estimation, just some positions where we don't exactly have superstars.

Ol' No. 2
02-14-2005, 09:59 PM
I hate this thread. We have one just like it ever winter around here.ONE??? George, you haven't been paying attention. There has to be at least a dozen.:D:

Sargeant79
02-14-2005, 10:00 PM
I agree with what most of the original poster has said, but the fact is that we do have a lot of question marks. In fact, our success this year is going to depend on those question marks. Don't get me wrong...I am very optimistic about this season and think we have a great chance of winning the division on account of the offseason moves that were made.

But there are a ton of uncertainties: Will Iguchi be able to be successful on this side of the Pacific? Will El Duque be able to make it through the season without more than one trip to the DL? Which Jose Contreras will show up? Will Jon Garland pitch like...well...Jon Garland? Can Scotty P. raise his batting average and OBP by at least 30-40 points over last year? Can AJP make it through the year without pissing everyone off? Can Frank be active and productive for at least 2/3 of the season?

This is a lot of question marks, and I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of. We will need almost all of the aforementioned questions to work out favorably for the season to turn out like we all hope it will.

SEALgep
02-14-2005, 10:11 PM
I hate this thread. We have one just like it ever winter around here. The Twins are lucky... the Sox are serious this season... blah blah blah...

Unless you're placing money on the outcome what any of us think in February about the Sox' chances won't make a bit of difference come opening day. We have six months worth of games to find out who the #1 contenders are.Speaking of placing money, the Sox odds are now +425, while the Indians and Tigers are +300. The Twins are a respective -135. Maybe the Sox won't win the division, but those odds are too pretty for me to ignore.

FGarcia34
02-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Well, everyone seems to bring up questions that this team has...Yes, we do have questions on this ball club, however look at the rest of the division...I know my opinion is extremely biased because Im a Sox fan, however I just do not see how we could not have the most, well-rounded team in the division...Someone a few posts earlier stated our question marks...what about the question marks of the other "so-called contenders"? The twins, tigers and indians?

Twins...Can Cuddyer play 3rd? Can Castro play as well as Guzman did? Will Morneau continue his success? Can Joe Mays come back and be a solid 5th starter? Will Silva be as successful has he was last season? Will Joe Mauer become the player everyone believes he will be? Can Lew Ford have another good season?

Tigers...Can their pitching finally step up? They seem to have a staff full of Jon Garland's...Will Ordonez stay healthy? How much will Percival help their pen? Can they hit for power in that park?

Indians...Their bullpen is horrendous...they did nothing to improve it...Will Belliard and Martinez have All-Star seasons again?...Will CC Sabathia continue to wear pajamas on the field??? :D: ...

Every team has question marks, my main point is that I can finally look at our roster 1-25 and not see many holes in it. The same could not be said the last 3 seasons...We have a very solid bench and bullpen for the first time in years.

Timo, Crazy Carl, Gload, Willie give us very formidable bats to put in at almost any situation in the game.

Vizcaino, Hermanson, Cotts, Marte, Takatsu give us solid guy out of the pen...

I mean, NONE of our starting pitchers had a losing record last season, how many MLB teams can say that???

Im just very optimistic about this season

stillz
02-14-2005, 11:50 PM
I mean, NONE of our starting pitchers had a losing record last season, how many MLB teams can say that???

And if they're healthy 1 through 5, they're big-time inning eaters - another rarity.

SoxWillWin
02-15-2005, 06:15 PM
I understand what everyone is saying about the twins in the central......but I'd much rather use the term DEFENDING AL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS than FAVORITE. The Sox won't be the CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS until they beat the twins....it doesn't mean they can't be a FAVORITE to win......

PAPChiSox729
02-15-2005, 07:14 PM
I understand what everyone is saying about the twins in the central......but I'd much rather use the term DEFENDING AL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS than FAVORITE. The Sox won't be the CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS until they beat the twins....it doesn't mean they can't be a FAVORITE to win......

Well many Sox fans considered the Sox to be the favorites to win the division because of the team they had assembled, myself included. After 3 years of proving me wrong, the Twins should be considered the favorites until they are beaten.

JB98
02-15-2005, 09:54 PM
And if they're healthy 1 through 5, they're big-time inning eaters - another rarity.

We don't have anybody who can match Santana, however. That's why I think the Twins will win the division again. They have almost a guaranteed win every fifth day. Also, our bullpen is much better than last year, but still not as settled as Minnesota's is.

I think it's reasonable to say we are the biggest threat to Minnesota. In fact, I'd say we probably are. I think Cleveland is getting too much love from the national press, but I have to acknowledge that they have a chance to finish ahead of the Sox. Detroit is good enough now to play spoiler, but they still look like a fourth-place team to me.