PDA

View Full Version : News in Twinsville

ma-gaga
02-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Rumor only.

They signed "him" to a 4 year deal. I'm sure it was too much money, and he's a huge injury risk, but they signed "him".

More as it develops...

:gulp:

ma-gaga
02-14-2005, 11:19 AM
It's on the KFAN website. So, I guess it must be true.

http://twins.kfan.com/sports/twins/story.aspx?content_id=BAA4A347-A22E-4B1D-A5A1-6009DE42DB66

LincolnSquareOz
02-14-2005, 11:51 AM
4 years/ $40MM.

At least it's the last contract he'll ever be signing with the Twins...unless they finally get their stadium.

balke
02-14-2005, 12:00 PM
It's on MLB.com as well... /GULP

Oh well. I was hoping he'd be a Yankee at year's end.

gosox41
02-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Rumor only.

They signed "him" to a 4 year deal. I'm sure it was too much money, and he's a huge injury risk, but they signed "him".

More as it develops...

:gulp:

So they have roughly $20 mill invested in Radke and Santanna and a $55 mill payroll. That leaves not much payroll for 23 players some who are soon to be arbitration eligble or free agents. Mayne this will slow them down in the long run though their farm system keeps producing.

Bob

Flight #24
02-14-2005, 01:39 PM
So they have roughly $20 mill invested in Radke and Santanna and a $55 mill payroll. That leaves not much payroll for 23 players some who are soon to be arbitration eligble or free agents. Mayne this will slow them down in the long run though their farm system keeps producing.

Bob

Interestingly, if you add in Hunter, Mays, & Stewart - you're up to about $41mil of that $55. Your # 1, 2, & 5 starters and 2 position players taking up about 75% of payroll? That's a lot of youngsters that you need to step up bigtime on the field. Could happen, but it's not as much of a given as the national media would like you to believe.

depy48
02-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Twins agreed to terms with LHP Johan Santana on a four-year contract.
Disapppointing news for the Yankees. They may have to settle for Ben Sheets as their ace in 2007. If Santana actually settled for less than Roy Halladay received -- $38 million was the figure that was reported a few days ago -- then this is a steal for GM Terry Ryan. It's always possible that Santana could blow out his arm, but if he stays healthy, he figured to command $16 million-$17 million per year as a free agent. Feb. 14 - 2:32 pm et

via rotoworld

s.dedalus
02-14-2005, 01:47 PM

Bob

Actually, the rumor of the moment is that Santana's 2005 salary will be between 5.5-6mm dollars, and the later yearly amounts will cover the difference, particularly in the last two years. That means that there is only around 15mm budgeted for Radke and Santana.

edited to add: I don't recall where I heard that, and can't seem to track it down at the moment, so I'm willing to be corrected.

ma-gaga
02-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Actually, the rumor of the moment is that Santana's 2005 salary will be between 5.5-6mm dollars, and the later yearly amounts will cover the difference, particularly in the last two years. That means that there is only around 15mm budgeted for Radke and Santana.

edited to add: I don't recall where I heard that, and can't seem to track it down at the moment, so I'm willing to be corrected.

well, the arbitration for this year was going to be: 5.0 vs 6.8, so it's probably something like: 6/9/12/15 or 7/9/11/13 or similar. It's a ton of money for this team. The Twins overpaid, but it's a no win situation. If they pay and he gets hurt, they are screwed. It they don't pay and he is healthy, they lose him after 2006. I'm a little surprised it's THAT much money. I expected maybe a 3/36 would work. I guess we'll wait for the details to be released.

Yeah, I mean this is the only contract that the Twins have that extends beyond 2006. :cool:

Dadawg_77
02-14-2005, 03:01 PM

If that is the case, the Twins will probally carry Santana for two years then get a boat load of prospects for him.

NSSoxFan
02-14-2005, 03:11 PM
IMO, this is one of those classic contracts that will be unloaded in the near future to either the Red Sox or Yankees. Just imagine if the Twins didn't win the division this year, and then in 2006 are out of it before the trade deadline, bye bye Johan...

PAPChiSox729
02-14-2005, 03:21 PM
This is bad news. Santana is incredible. The only good I see coming from this is that they may have to let go of some of their young position players when pay day comes.

Foulke You
02-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Ma-Gaga, I'm curious, you don't seem to be as excited as I thought a Twins fan would be hearing this news. I would have thought Twinkee fans would be dancing in the streets that you've locked up Radke and now Santana to anchor the rotation for the next few years.

Santana was pound for pound, the best pitcher in baseball last year. Do you think he is THAT much of an injury/financial risk? He didn't really show signs of slowing down last year. Bottom line, the Twins would not be contending for a division title without Santana on the mound. I mean, look at the money that average pitchers like Matt Clement and Kevin Millwood got this offseason, imagine what Santana coming off another 20 win season would command on the open market? Steinbrenner would have armor trucks filled with money dropped off at the Santana residence. If you compare to what guys like Pavano, Clement, and other pitchers have commanded, I think the Twins got him for a steal.

Dadawg_77
02-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Ma-Gaga, I'm curious, you don't seem to be as excited as I thought a Twins fan would be hearing this news. I would have thought Twinkee fans would be dancing in the streets that you've locked up Radke and now Santana to anchor the rotation for the next few years.

Santana was pound for pound, the best pitcher in baseball last year. Do you think he is THAT much of an injury/financial risk? He didn't really show signs of slowing down last year. Bottom line, the Twins would not be contending for a division title without Santana on the mound. I mean, look at the money that average pitchers like Matt Clement and Kevin Millwood got this offseason, imagine what Santana coming off another 20 win season would command on the open market? Steinbrenner would have armor trucks filled with money dropped off at the Santana residence. If you compare to what guys like Pavano, Clement, and other pitchers have commanded, I think the Twins got him for a steal.

You can't compare him to Pavano and Clement or any other pitcher with more service time. You could look at later years compared to them but not this year due to the arbitration process wouldn't have compared him to pitcher with more service time.

ma-gaga
02-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Ma-Gaga, I'm curious, you don't seem to be as excited as I thought a Twins fan would be hearing this news.

Oh... I'm really damn happy. :cool: I have to temper myself here. "THE TWINS JUST LOCKED UP THE DIVISION FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS!!!" Wouldn't exactly be welcome around these parts.

I am extremely happy that the Twins are spending their money to lock up talent like this. You simply cannot let the reigning Cy Young walk away if you can sign him to this kind of deal.

But it's a lot of guaranteed money tied up in one arm. Especially one that made a pretty big jump in innings last year. One that has family in the poor parts of Venezuella, where family members have been kidnapped for ransom. One that had an arm injury as recently as 2002. There's just a lot that could go wrong.

But I'm very happy. :) (ah haha the division is ours!!!)

Foulke You
02-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Oh... I'm really damn happy. :cool: I have to temper myself here. "THE TWINS JUST LOCKED UP THE DIVISION FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS!!!" Wouldn't exactly be welcome around these parts.

I am extremely happy that the Twins are spending their money to lock up talent like this. You simply cannot let the reigning Cy Young walk away if you can sign him to this kind of deal.

But it's a lot of guaranteed money tied up in one arm. Especially one that made a pretty big jump in innings last year. One that has family in the poor parts of Venezuella, where family members have been kidnapped for ransom. One that had an arm injury as recently as 2002. There's just a lot that could go wrong.

There are risks involved in any free agent signing, especially pitchers. Look at El Duque, he could be the biggest steal or a big bust on the free agent market. You just never know. I for one, think the Twins made the right move. The guy just has too good of stuff to just send him off to get fitted for his Yankee pinstripes in a year. Eventually, that magic four leaf clover the Twins have of bringing up farm system talent to replace the big league guys will wear off and you have to keep some of your good players. If he wins 20+ games for every year of that contract, it will be money well spent for the Twinkees. As much as I hate the Twinks and am not looking forward to facing Santana for the next few seasons, part of me is glad when I see some teams keep their young players and stop the mass exodus of talent to the Red Sox, Angels, and Yankees.

Oh, and btw Ma-gaga, the division is OURS! :cool:

SoxFanTillDeath
02-15-2005, 07:52 AM

What would scare me if I was a Twinkies fan is what happened to last year's Cy Young winner...