PDA

View Full Version : National Media Continues with Cubpoganda

Hangar18
02-14-2005, 09:09 AM
I spent a good part of the afternoon on Saturday doing some spring cleaning
at the apartment. Being a loyal DePaul alumni, I turned the DePaul vs Cincinnati game on while working. DePaul was blowing out Cincy and I was happy to see that, and Allstate Arena was packed and boisterous. It was also "pack the place" afternoon, DePaul had 5,000 students at the game as well and you can imagine my ANGER when, after coming back from a Commercial timeout, the Giddy announcer says "Were back at Allstate Arena in suburban Chicago, and its filled with Blue Demon fans ....... AND of course, with CUBBY FANS too " :angry: :angry: :angry:

What the hell was that jackass talking about!!!!! It was not a "Pack the Place with Cub Fans Day" .........it was a DePaul basketball game ......filled with DePaul fans .....not cub fans.

eriqjaffe
02-14-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm sure that it was because people at the game kept asking him, "Which one of those guys in the shorts is Aramis Ramirez?"

Niagara
02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
DePaul Sucks. St. Johns does too. Niagara is THE Vincentian School.

:tongue:

NSSoxFan
02-14-2005, 02:57 PM
DePaul Sucks. St. Johns does too. Niagara is THE Vincentian School.

:tongue:

Ummmm, no. All the schools you listed above are great Vincentian institutions, but DePaul is the biggest private Catholic university in the country.

Niagara
02-14-2005, 03:02 PM
"Biggest" isn't always best.

Niagara University Class of '74

NSSoxFan
02-14-2005, 03:08 PM
"Biggest" isn't always best.

Niagara University Class of '74

It depends what you are saying is the best.

Max Power
02-14-2005, 03:14 PM
I was at the game, so there was at least 1 Sox fan. I saw a few other people in Sox apparel, so that announcer is a liar!

Speaking of attendance, it was great crowd, very energetic. I thought it would be closer to a sellout though. But I don't want to start another DePaul attendance thread.

chidavid18
02-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Bye Go ILLINI.

Niagara
02-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Just giving crap to a fellow Vincentian Alum:redneck
The Priests used to argue all the time over which School was best.

NSSoxFan
02-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Just giving crap to a fellow Vincentian Alum:redneck
The Priests used to argue all the time over which School was best.

And they still do.:cool:

Viva Medias B's
02-14-2005, 04:29 PM
I spent a good part of the afternoon on Saturday doing some spring cleaning
at the apartment. Being a loyal DePaul alumni, I turned the DePaul vs Cincinnati game on while working. DePaul was blowing out Cincy and I was happy to see that, and Allstate Arena was packed and boisterous. It was also "pack the place" afternoon, DePaul had 5,000 students at the game as well and you can imagine my ANGER when, after coming back from a Commercial timeout, the Giddy announcer says "Were back at Allstate Arena in suburban Chicago, and its filled with Blue Demon fans ....... AND of course, with CUBBY FANS too " :angry: :angry: :angry:

What the hell was that jackass talking about!!!!! It was not a "Pack the Place with Cub Fans Day" .........it was a DePaul basketball game ......filled with DePaul fans .....not cub fans.

No offense, Hangar and other Demon fan WSIers, but DePaul to me as a Loyola fan is the Cubs in basketball shorts. And BTW, while DePaul is the largest Catholic university in America, it's not the best in Chicago. In the U.S. News and World Report rankings, DePaul is consistently ranked in the "Third Tier" while Loyola is ranked in the "Second Tier."

I'll be the first to admit that the Ramblers are currently eons behind the Blue Demons, but I expect that to change to a certain degree. First year head coach Jim Whitesell has Loyola going in the right direction, even though the Ramblers are below .500 and 7th in the Horizon League. However, Loyola has been much more competitive game-by-game than it was the past few seasons under Larry Farmer. Sophomore Blake Schilb is fast becoming the big star on the Ramblers.

NSSoxFan
02-14-2005, 07:28 PM
No offense, Hangar and other Demon fan WSIers, but DePaul to me as a Loyola fan is the Cubs in basketball shorts. And BTW, while DePaul is the largest Catholic university in America, it's not the best in Chicago. In the U.S. News and World Report rankings, DePaul is consistently ranked in the "Third Tier" while Loyola is ranked in the "Second Tier."

I'll be the first to admit that the Ramblers are currently eons behind the Blue Demons, but I expect that to change to a certain degree. First year head coach Jim Whitesell has Loyola going in the right direction, even though the Ramblers are below .500 and 7th in the Horizon League. However, Loyola has been much more competitive game-by-game than it was the past few seasons under Larry Farmer. Sophomore Blake Schilb is fast becoming the big star on the Ramblers.

Let's not get into tiers again for Gods sake...

I don't see how you see DePaul as the sCrUBS of college basketball. Let's see, if this was the case, then DePaul would have been getting the most Chicago media coverage from October 15th(midnight madness) till the end of their season. I mean look at the current situation, DePaul is 16-5 and second place in one of the best conferences in the country, and you are hard pressed to find more than one article in a given newspaper.

I'm sick of people referring to DePaul in this way, it forces me to think they do this soley based on their color scheme. As far as Loyola goes, they will never be at the level DePaul is at. You can't compare a team in C-USA, soon to be the Big East, to a team like Loyola in the Horizon League. I mean, Loyola isn't even close to where UIC is at this point.

HomeFish
02-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Given DePaul's location, it'd assume that many Cub fans do go out to its games, and that many people who go there turn into Cub fans if they were not already.

NSSoxFan
02-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Given DePaul's location, it'd assume that many Cub fans do go out to its games, and that many people who go there turn into Cub fans if they were not already.

Ok, let's break this one down. DePaul plays its home games at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, a good eight miles away from Lincoln Park.

A student poll of 539 students by The DePaulia, the student newspaper, 40% said they were Sox fans, 36% were sCrUB fans, and 10% were other, wihle 14% didn't follow baseball.

I can tell you that there are a lot of Sox fans at DePaul, don't let location tell you otherwise.

WOW.

HomeFish
02-14-2005, 08:12 PM
A student poll of 539 students by The DePaulia, the student newspaper, 40% said they were Sox fans, 36% were sCrUB fans, and 10% were other, wihle 14% didn't follow baseball.

When was that done? Before 2003?

If not, excellent job having such a high rate of good guys in that neighborhood. I am impressed.

NSSoxFan
02-14-2005, 08:14 PM
When was that done? Before 2003?

If not, excellent job having such a high rate of good guys in that neighborhood. I am impressed.

No, it was done in the Spring of 2004, during the first week of the season. You have to remember, DePaul is a commuter school for the most part. I actually do have the paper somewhere in my closet, I'm going to try to find it and scan it for anyone interested.

One thing that is for sure, the students at DePaul that are sCrUB fans are so incompitent(sp?).

Viva Medias B's
02-14-2005, 11:06 PM
There's lots of Sox fans at Loyola too. In fact, Rogers Park is a North Side hub of Sox fans (old, Irish Catholic population).