PDA

View Full Version : Hello & Request

bhambaron
02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Well it's spring so my hope springs eternal for 2005. I live in Birmingham, AL and started following the Sox in the mid to late 80's when the Barons became the White Sox AA affilliate. I've seen a lot of great guys come up and with it being the minor leagues, got a chance to shake hands and, as a kid, get autographs. Quite a thrill when you're 12.

Hopefully the team will stop by Birmingham again on their way up north for an exhibition game. Best moment from one of those games was when Jose Valentin kept tapping a little league kid on the shoulder and ducking behind him during the national anthem before the game. And yes I was there for some of Michael Jordan's games. The experience was about what you'd suspect.

I'm looking forward to watching some up and comers this year like Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweney, Josh Fields and Brandon McCarthy. I'll be happy to update you on their progress.

Had a question for you guys (and gals I suppose). Do you know of any books that are a compehensive history of the Sox? I've seen some covering the Black Sox era as well as the Go Go's and the '83 team but haven't been able to find anything that covers it all.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to visiting the site and the '05 season.

kingpin_rcs
02-14-2005, 11:06 AM
There is a book called "Who's on Third". I forget the author but it covers the Sox up to 1982. A second edition came out after the 1983 season. There may be books aut there that cover more but I am not aware of any. A quick search on Amazon might be your best source.

AZChiSoxFan
02-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Well it's spring so my hope springs eternal for 2005. I live in Birmingham, AL and started following the Sox in the mid to late 80's when the Barons became the White Sox AA affilliate. I've seen a lot of great guys come up and with it being the minor leagues, got a chance to shake hands and, as a kid, get autographs. Quite a thrill when you're 12.

Hopefully the team will stop by Birmingham again on their way up north for an exhibition game. Best moment from one of those games was when Jose Valentin kept tapping a little league kid on the shoulder and ducking behind him during the national anthem before the game. And yes I was there for some of Michael Jordan's games. The experience was about what you'd suspect.

I'm looking forward to watching some up and comers this year like Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweney, Josh Fields and Brandon McCarthy. I'll be happy to update you on their progress.

Had a question for you guys (and gals I suppose). Do you know of any books that are a compehensive history of the Sox? I've seen some covering the Black Sox era as well as the Go Go's and the '83 team but haven't been able to find anything that covers it all.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to visiting the site and the '05 season.

First of all, :welcome:

Secondly, go to Amazon and do a search on "Dan Helpingstine." You will find two great books on the Sox. BTW, Dan H. posts here on WSI. Another book that I believe has been recommended by others is called "The White Sox Encyclopedia" by Richard Lindberg and MArk Fletcher.

bhambaron
02-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Much thanks to both of you.

I want Mags back
02-14-2005, 01:33 PM
There is a book called "Who's on Third". I forget the author but it covers the Sox up to 1982. A second edition came out after the 1983 season. There may be books aut there that cover more but I am not aware of any. A quick search on Amazon might be your best source.

We have that in my schools library, it is by Richard Lindberg. It is a pretty good history of the team.

tacosalbarojas
02-14-2005, 02:09 PM
First of all, :welcome:

Secondly, go to Amazon and do a search on "Dan Helpingstine." You will find two great books on the Sox. BTW, Dan H. posts here on WSI. Another book that I believe has been recommended by others is called "The White Sox Encyclopedia" by Richard Lindberg and MArk Fletcher.Also, check out anything by Richard Whittingham and Bob Vanderberg. Vandy has put out a few books covering the 50s and 60s glory years. "Sox: From Lane and Fain to Zisk and Fisk" is a good place to start with Bob --if you can find it. There's another one he did on Mickey and Minnie and the 60s rivalry with the Yankees. Bob Logan also did a book recapping the '83 season. That one, "Miracle on 35th. Street" would probably be pretty difficult to find, but good luck!

HITMEN OF 77
02-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Go to amazon.com and see if they have a copy of the Chicago White Sox Encylopedia. HUGE hardback book full of players, history, photos you name it. Its from 1996 I think. I'm sure a new updated one is in the works. Its a must have along with Dan H's books.

Baby Fisk
02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Go to amazon.com and see if they have a copy of the Chicago White Sox Encylopedia. HUGE hardback book full of players, history, photos you name it. Its from 1996 I think. I'm sure a new updated one is in the works. Its a must have along with Dan H's books.
The WS Encyclopedia was published during Terry Bevington's reign of error (1997). Damn, that man was a total tool. Anyway, the book is great, but is in dire need of an update. Does anyone know if something is in the works?

Whitesox029
02-14-2005, 03:16 PM
We have that in my schools library, it is by Richard Lindberg. It is a pretty good history of the team.
I had a chance to meet Lindberg and he really knows everything there is to know about the Sox. He's coming out with two other books (non baseball) and he has a section in another upcoming book called "History of the American League" with an article on every AL team. He writes the section on the Sox.

HITMEN OF 77
02-14-2005, 04:14 PM
The WS Encyclopedia was published during Terry Bevington's reign of error (1997). Damn, that man was a total tool. Anyway, the book is great, but is in dire need of an update. Does anyone know if something is in the works?

I'll shot an email off to a friend who helped do the book and see if a new updated version is in the works.

Baby Fisk
02-14-2005, 04:16 PM
I'll shot an email off to a friend who helped do the book and see if a new updated version is in the works.

If you don't hear back, e-mail Brooks Boyer. :cool:

SpammySosa
02-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Speaking of Sox books, Ron Kittle has a book coming out next month. I have always found him a riot to talk to as he is outspoken and has a lot of funny and interesting stories to tell.Unlike another book that just came out, I don't think he will be admit to being juiced or be naming names of those who were. :wink:

JKryl
02-15-2005, 12:58 PM
If you don't hear back, e-mail Brooks Boyer. :cool:

Not a bad idea. The gift shop could use a library section.

HITMEN OF 77
02-17-2005, 09:24 PM
OK Sox fans here ya go. Talked with my friend who helps with the White Sox encyclopedia and he said to call or write to either of these below. If we show an intrest a new updated Encyclopedia will come out.

Micah at (215) 204-8787. I believe he is in charge of the baseball series or write to:

TEMPLE UNIVERSITY PRESS
BROAD AND OXFORD STREETS
PHILADELPHIA, PA. 19122

TornLabrum
02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
OK Sox fans here ya go. Talked with my friend who helps with the White Sox encyclopedia and he said to call or write to either of these below. If we show an intrest a new updated Encyclopedia will come out.

Micah at (215) 204-8787. I believe he is in charge of the baseball series or write to:

TEMPLE UNIVERSITY PRESS
BROAD AND OXFORD STREETS
PHILADELPHIA, PA. 19122

A couple of years ago Rich Lindbergh, who wrote most of the White Sox Encyclopedia, told me that he was so fed up (mostly with Sox fans criticisms of ownership--Rich has always been a strong supporter of Reinsdorf and Einhorn), that he was never going to write about the Sox again. I hope he's changed his mind.

HITMEN OF 77
02-18-2005, 12:12 AM
A couple of years ago Rich Lindbergh, who wrote most of the White Sox Encyclopedia, told me that he was so fed up (mostly with Sox fans criticisms of ownership--Rich has always been a strong supporter of Reinsdorf and Einhorn), that he was never going to write about the Sox again. I hope he's changed his mind.

I guess he has all the Sox stuff updated and new stuff ready to go for a book.