PDA

View Full Version : Save Our Sox

chisox06
02-14-2005, 12:23 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here was a member of the "Save Our Sox" group that rallied at Comiskey Park to try to keep the Sox in Chicago after the rumored departure to St. Petersburg. In case any of you need your memory refreshed here's an interesting story on the once very possible move link (http://www.andelman.com/sfr/sfr-ch01c.html)

Although I was a little to young to remember all of this, from talking to people that remember it clearly and reading some various articles on the subject, it seemed for a while this was pretty serious. The thing that really puts things into perspective for me about this whole issue is JR's quote "If you get the money from the Florida Legislature to finish the stadium, we will come." Really makes you think and makes you happy as hell that we have baseball on the southside!

DC Sox Fan
02-14-2005, 09:04 AM
I was 10 at the time, but remember it like it was yesterday. We had recently gotten WGN on cable out here, and I went to bed after seeing on the news that it looked like it was all over. IIRC Big Jim was trying to get something going, but time was running out fast, things looked bad. Since I was only a little kid, I have no shame in admitting I cried myself to sleep that night.

My dad came in and woke me up at like 1:30am (Eastern) to let me know that a last minute deal had been made and they were staying.

One of the most emotional times of my life- went to bed feeling like I had lost something so incredibly important to me, only to get it back. It took me a few minutes to realize I wasn't dreaming.

Man, I'm almost getting misty thinking back on it now...

chisox06
02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I was 10 at the time, but remember it like it was yesterday. We had recently gotten WGN on cable out here, and I went to bed after seeing on the news that it looked like it was all over. IIRC Big Jim was trying to get something going, but time was running out fast, things looked bad. Since I was only a little kid, I have no shame in admitting I cried myself to sleep that night.

My dad came in and woke me up at like 1:30am (Eastern) to let me know that a last minute deal had been made and they were staying.

One of the most emotional times of my life- went to bed feeling like I had lost something so incredibly important to me, only to get it back. It took me a few minutes to realize I wasn't dreaming.

I hear ya, don't know if that deal did go through if I would continue to be a sox fan and root for them in Florida, root for someone else, or lose interest in baseball all together. Glad I never had to make that decision.

SpammySosa
02-14-2005, 05:47 PM

Besides the traditional and historical sentiment, I am surprised it had such an impact on you since you live far away from Chicago. It was pretty nerve-wracking though,that's for sure.

NonetheLoaiza
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
I was young at the time, so I don't remember it. Reading this though, I almost cried.

Fenway
02-14-2005, 06:28 PM
I was working in Tampa when this happened.

At 1 AM Eastern WFLA-TV ran a tone to signal the midnight hour in Illinois and that the legislature was done.

Unknown until days later, Governor Thompson had put the State of Illinois back on standard time to buy himself one more hour. It worked and the WS stayed.

robertks61
02-14-2005, 06:41 PM
I remember listening to the radio late that night, getting drunk and wondering if I was going to root for the Brewers or the Chicago White Sox. Had they moved I would have been done with JR.

Going way back does anybody remember the Save our Sox fund when Bill Veeck was attempting to buy the White Sox in '76? I sent 1 dollar to Johnny Morris on Channel 2 and got 2 tickets for the Sunday doubleheader 1 day after the Home Opener. The Saturday before the game was a nice day out, the Sunday games got cancelled due to bad weather. The Cubune roasted Bill Veeck the next day for that stunt.

Chisox003
02-14-2005, 06:51 PM
When exactly did this happen...I've heard about it but never found out when it happened..

The closest thing I can come to concerning the Sox leaving was a few years ago, when all the talk about the Twins being retracted....I remember listening to AM 1000 and they were interviewing Boston Gammons, and asked him who should be retracted.. He said something along the lines of "3 teams that just dont draw enough support from their cities are the Devil Rays, the Marlins, and the White Sox. There just isn't enough demand for these teams"

Obviously being younger I didnt realize Peter Gammons is so full of **** that its coming out of his ears, and everything he says is completely insane, so I believed that it was very possible that the Sox would be retracted...Anybody else know what Im talking about?

Edit:Turns out Gammons wanted the RED Sox retracted, not the White Sox...My Fault...Eww

chisox06
02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
When exactly did this happen...I've heard about it but never found out when it happened..

The closest thing I can come to concerning the Sox leaving was a few years ago, when all the talk about the Twins being retracted....I remember listening to AM 1000 and they were interviewing Boston Gammons, and asked him who should be retracted.. He said something along the lines of "3 teams that just dont draw enough support from their cities are the Devil Rays, the Marlins, and the White Sox. There just isn't enough demand for these teams"

Obviously being younger I didnt realize Peter Gammons is so full of **** that its coming out of his ears, and everything he says is completely insane, so I believed that it was very possible that the Sox would be retracted...Anybody else know what Im talking about?

Edit:Turns out Gammons wanted the RED Sox retracted, not the White Sox...My Fault...Eww

I believe it was the offseason in 1990, before the new park was built. As for Boston Gammons, hes a moron, considering the way the Cell is being leased there is no way the sox are going anywhere for a long long time.

MikeW
02-14-2005, 10:11 PM
I joined the 'Save our Sox' in 1988 or 1989. I was real worried that they were done for. I was driving to Buffalo at 2am in the morning when I got the word that Gov James Thompson got enough votes to save them at the last minute. The 'Save our Sox' campaign issued a nice booklet against the idea of tearing Old Comiskey and had their own people look at the park to determine whether it was sound or not and they came back with quite a different picture than what Jerry Reinsdorf was preaching. He believed that the park was going to fall down and if the state of Illinois would not finance a new ballpark, then he was going to leave town. Unfortunately I have been through this stuff before in regards to the Sox moving,first in 1969 when it looked like Milwaukee and then again in 1975 when Seattle came calling. As a matter of fact, if Bill Veeck had been turned down in 1975, the plan called for the Sox to move to Seattle and then Charley Finley(who was from Chicago)would move the A's here.

tebman
02-14-2005, 10:28 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here was a member of the "Save Our Sox" group that rallied at Comiskey Park to try to keep the Sox in Chicago after the rumored departure to St. Petersburg. In case any of you need your memory refreshed here's an interesting story on the once very possible move link (http://www.andelman.com/sfr/sfr-ch01c.html)

Although I was a little to young to remember all of this, from talking to people that remember it clearly and reading some various articles on the subject, it seemed for a while this was pretty serious. The thing that really puts things into perspective for me about this whole issue is JR's quote "If you get the money from the Florida Legislature to finish the stadium, we will come." Really makes you think and makes you happy as hell that we have baseball on the southside!
I wasn't a member of the SOS group, but I did what I could. When the Sox bought property in Bloomingdale to build a new park, I got nervous. But when I heard that the necessary zoning changes had to pass a referendum, I knew it wouldn't fly.

There was a brief flirtation with a multi-use stadium that would've been built on the near south side, but that didn't go anywhere because the Bears refused to be part of it. Then the talk began about building it across the street, and my first thought was for the people's homes that were there. It was still a neighborhood -- tired and dingy, but a neighborhood nonetheless. But then the talk began about moving to Tampa if the state-backed deal didn't come through, and I started working the phone. I called my state rep, my state senator, the governor's office, and the imperious mayor of Bolingbrook, who claimed the Sox wanted to build the new park here. All claimed to be Sox fans, but that the state just couldn't afford it.

Hey, I wasn't crazy about the state helping build a ballpark either, but the state was going to make money on it. State legislators are, in general, not a bright bunch of people. Some exceptions stand out, and they move on to higher office. But the ones I talked to were small-minded -- not what you'd call statesmen. It was scary if you were a lifelong Sox fan. But at the 11-and-three-quarterth hour a deal was struck and I felt better.

But I still carry a burn from JR's and EE's threat to move to Tampa. Every time JR talks, I feel like I need to keep one hand on my wallet and lock up the valuables.

- tebman

DC Sox Fan
02-15-2005, 10:28 AM
I am surprised it had such an impact on you since you live far away from Chicago.

Spammy- my Dad was born & raised South Side. My mom grew up in Elgin and rooted for the Sox to spite her brothers the flub fans. They relocated out here before I was born. My DNA runs rampant with the S-O-X chromosome :cool:

downstairs
02-15-2005, 11:06 AM
I was young at the time, but I remember my father making a point that I still agree with to this day...

The Sox should have moved to the suburbs of Chicago. (Or, at worst, to a location near downtown Chicago). But the 'burbs would have been the best move.

Its surprising that Reinsdorf is supposed to be a real estate mogul, and he kept the team in such a terrible location.

DC Sox Fan
02-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I believe that the last minute bill that was passed REQUIRED the new stadium to be built at 35th and Shields. I'm almost positive it's in the legislature.

Uncle Jerry had picked the design already- it was designed for a large suburban plot, and because of this it was too big for the site that was chosen. Hence the ramps across the street, and having to close/divert other roads nearby.

Chez
02-15-2005, 12:58 PM
I remember it vividly (was in my late 20's). The Old Comiskey was literally falling apart (they had closed the rightfield bleachers for a stretch due to falling concrete); the Village of Addison voted against building a new park for the Sox and JR swore that his hands were tied unless the Illinois Legislature approved funding for a new park across the street from the old one. As others have pointed out, this wasn't the first time Sox fans had been threatened with relocation (they played "home games" at County Stadium in the late 60's, Veeck rescued them from relocating to Seattle between the Pilots and Mariners, etc. ) so while I was nervous, I really didn't expect them to move to Florida -- I just couldn't fathom the possibility of a charter member of the AL being allowed to relocate. I stayed up listening to WBBM newradio's coverage of the proceedings and recall Governor Thompson actually moving the hands of the clock in the state senate back to buy more time for another vote. After the vote passed, I cracked open a couple of beers and toasted Jim Thompson -- who then became the only Republican I have ever voted for in my life!!

SpammySosa
02-15-2005, 06:46 PM
I was young at the time, but I remember my father making a point that I still agree with to this day...

The Sox should have moved to the suburbs of Chicago. (Or, at worst, to a location near downtown Chicago). But the 'burbs would have been the best move.

Its surprising that Reinsdorf is supposed to be a real estate mogul, and he kept the team in such a terrible location.

A lot of people forget that the Sox also looked into moving to Highland,IN and that was well before the threats to move to Florida. The land they were looking at was a golf course(I believe named Wicker Park Golfcourse) which was right up the road from my father's business at the time. Because of the proximity to said business, I was actually pretty excited about it. In retrospect,however,it just wouldn't seem right being anywhere but Chicago.

cubhater
02-15-2005, 07:02 PM
I hear ya, don't know if that deal did go through if I would continue to be a sox fan and root for them in Florida, root for someone else, or lose interest in baseball all together. Glad I never had to make that decision.

There's no way in hell I'd root for the St.Pete Sailors or whatever name they would've been called. Take any team out of Chicago and I could care less how they fare.

I remember the night the state approved the new stadium deal. I worked as a bounce in a college bar north of Tampa when the Sox logo appeared in the ESPN background on the late night edition of Sportscenter. Their wasn't any TV volume due to the music and I couldn't read the announcer's lips so I had no idea if the deal passed or not. It wasn't until I got off work and heard the happy news on the radio.

The next night I went to work wearing my Sox hat when a couple drunk frat boys came up to me and stated, "Why the hell are you wearing that hat? Don't you know the Sox are staying in Chicago?" I replied with a BIG grin, "Yeah, isn't that a great thing! ":bandance:

zach074
02-15-2005, 07:07 PM
A lot of people forget that the Sox also looked into moving to Highland,IN and that was well before the threats to move to Florida. The land they were looking at was a golf course(I believe named Wicker Park Golfcourse) which was right up the road from my father's business at the time. Because of the proximity to said business, I was actually pretty excited about it. In retrospect,however,it just wouldn't seem right being anywhere but Chicago.

I never knew that. They would have moved close to me, that would be weird the Highland White Sox.:?: