PDA

View Full Version : The Cell's New Look

soxfan123
02-13-2005, 09:49 PM
With the Sox' new renovation to the cell, i.e. the green seats, fan deck, do you think it will finally considered the ballpark it deserves to be known as?

JUribe1989
02-13-2005, 09:50 PM
I hope so because I absolutely love The Cell. I was thrilled at the home opener last year when I saw the fan deck and the new look from the outside. I loved it, and I know I will love it even more on Opening Day this year.

lths06
02-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Among Sox fans, yes. Among Flub fans and the national media, no.

GiveMeSox
02-13-2005, 09:53 PM
With the Sox' new renovation to the cell, i.e. the green seats, fan deck, do you think it will finally considered the ballpark it deserves to be known as?

I think the biggest improvement was the new look from the outside. The new outer upper deck and wall with the ironwork and glass panels is beautiful. I think that was the biggest beef people had with it. It was so intimidating to see this gigantic bland concrete bowl so high up, rising and rising. It was ugly. People see if from the expressway, the EL, from city skyscapers, from TV, etc etc. Now it actually is eye catching and very appealing, especially at night when its lite up.

soxfan123
02-13-2005, 09:55 PM
With the positive recognition from the all star game in 2003 and if the Sox start to get national attention due to their record, then I believe they will have a better image of class than what was the terrible condition before the renovations...Good job JR

FightingBillini
02-13-2005, 10:03 PM
No, It will never get the credit it deserves. The Cub Media Propaganda Machine (Cubune, Scum Times, and ESPN) will continue to talk about the stadium as if there were never any renovations. They will continue to give front page stories to any crime committed withing 3 miles of the park, while pushing "Lakeview" crimes to the metro section. For the most part, people believe what they are told. Even people who do go to Sox games will consider the park crap because Mariotti and friends continue to trash it. Because they trash it, it will be trashed by all Cub "fans" and every casualfan who knows little. The local and national media will continue to call the park "infamous", "white elephant", "ballmall", "outdated the year after it opened", and "an embarrassment, the last old style stadium built before the amazing Camden Yards". Camden Yards and Coors Field are great parks, but people love them so much because they are TOLD TO. ESPN talks up Oriole Park like it is a life changing experience.

The only way I see the park getting any credibility is if the Sox catch fire for a 3-4 year span and it becomes trendy to go to the Cell. If the park is packed with all Sox fans, Giangrecco will lie and say it is always empty. If the park is filled with yuppies there to drink, Giangrecco will call it "beautiful US Cellular Field".

Gosox1917
02-13-2005, 10:43 PM
IMO, U. S. Cellular Field will be among the top ten ballparks in the country. Unfortunatley, because of how the media represented it in the mid 90's after the retro parks opened, it may never redeem itself. As mentioned, it will take 3 to 4 years of great baseball on the field for people to notice how good the ballpark looks.

Having said that, there is hope with the retro parks all beginning to look the same. From Phillie, to Pittsburgh, to Detroit, to Cleveland, to Colorado they are all starting to really look alike. St. Louis is opening a stadium that is eerily like all the others, with the only exception being the arch seen in the background. U. S. Cellular is already a unique ballpark, but not has always been said in a good way. With the latest renovations, and the basic design, the Cell may soon be considered the top ballpark in the majors. Let's just get a winning team out there to show the people, and they'll notice our great park.

FightingBillini
02-13-2005, 11:01 PM
IMO, U. S. Cellular Field will be among the top ten ballparks in the country. Unfortunatley, because of how the media represented it in the mid 90's after the retro parks opened, it may never redeem itself. As mentioned, it will take 3 to 4 years of great baseball on the field for people to notice how good the ballpark looks.

Having said that, there is hope with the retro parks all beginning to look the same. From Phillie, to Pittsburgh, to Detroit, to Cleveland, to Colorado they are all starting to really look alike. St. Louis is opening a stadium that is eerily like all the others, with the only exception being the arch seen in the background. U. S. Cellular is already a unique ballpark, but not has always been said in a good way. With the latest renovations, and the basic design, the Cell may soon be considered the top ballpark in the majors. Let's just get a winning team out there to show the people, and they'll notice our great park.

I agree with you, accept the NONE of the parks are even close to Pittsburgh. It is by far the best park in baseball. The second is probably SBC, but up Pittsburgh is the best. PNC is a smaller park with better sightlines, seats closer to the field, a low upperdeck, and a very unique exterior and backstop made of rough limestone. It improved on the retro parks before it, and hasnt been matched since.

NonetheLoaiza
02-13-2005, 11:05 PM
I agree with you, accept the NONE of the parks are even close to Pittsburgh. It is by far the best park in baseball. The second is probably SBC, but up Pittsburgh is the best. PNC is a smaller park with better sightlines, seats closer to the field, a low upperdeck, and a very unique exterior and backstop made of rough limestone. It improved on the retro parks before it, and hasnt been matched since.

Agreed. I can only speak that of the 10 or so parks that I've been to and experienced, but I loved PNC Park. The background beyond the outfield is awesome.

Cubbiesuck13
02-14-2005, 01:01 AM
For those of you who say Pitt has the best stadium, have you ever been to Camden Yards? I haven't been to Pitt but have been to Camden and the park is the best I have seen. The area around it is awsome. The streets surounding it are all designed for a gameday. The few bars I have been to around the park have the kind of feel you would want. They weren't packed like a friday night but they were far from empty. Most people talking about the game. It is a very nice experience all the way around. Two of my brothers, my dad and I went last year and they spent three or four days there. I had to work in VA but after work I hopped a flight, took the bus from the airport and picked up my ticket at will call and met them at the seats. By far the easiest journey to a ball park that I have not been to previously. If someone were to bulid up around Sox park then it would make the place so much better. I have only taken the L to Sox park once and I don't remember it being that hard to do but I also didn't go straight to the park. I stopped at a house in Bridgeport first so I don't know if there is a stop directly at the park or not. There should be if there isn't and they should also include a stop right smack in front of Freddies (best italian beef in Chicago).

SOXintheBURGH
02-14-2005, 01:56 AM
For those of you who say Pitt has the best stadium, have you ever been to Camden Yards? I haven't been to Pitt but have been to Camden and the park is the best I have seen. The area around it is awsome. The streets surounding it are all designed for a gameday. The few bars I have been to around the park have the kind of feel you would want. They weren't packed like a friday night but they were far from empty. Most people talking about the game. It is a very nice experience all the way around. Two of my brothers, my dad and I went last year and they spent three or four days there. I had to work in VA but after work I hopped a flight, took the bus from the airport and picked up my ticket at will call and met them at the seats. By far the easiest journey to a ball park that I have not been to previously. If someone were to bulid up around Sox park then it would make the place so much better. I have only taken the L to Sox park once and I don't remember it being that hard to do but I also didn't go straight to the park. I stopped at a house in Bridgeport first so I don't know if there is a stop directly at the park or not. There should be if there isn't and they should also include a stop right smack in front of Freddies (best italian beef in Chicago).

PNC Park > Any park in baseball on so many levels, trust me, its better than Oriole Park. It's not even close. It's even better than Wrigley Field! :o:

Cubbiesuck13
02-14-2005, 02:28 AM
PNC Park > Any park in baseball on so many levels, trust me, its better than Oriole Park. It's not even close. It's even better than Wrigley Field! :o:

Better than Wrigley you say? What a suprise? I acually like old stadiums and Wrigley is a nice place to watch a game if it wasn't for the fans or the home team.

Cubsuck_a_lot
02-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Better than Wrigley you say? What a suprise? I acually like old stadiums and Wrigley is a nice place to watch a game if it wasn't for the fans or the home team.

yeah, the old stadiums are nice, but merely for sentimental value. ive been to wrigley several times, and my sister lives in Boston so ive been to a couple fenway games. I like sitting there in the aura of the park, thinking about how many years of baseball have been played on this patch of grass and how many great players have come to show their game. but today, it's really hard to look past the deteriorating buildings. wrigley and fenway are piles of crap. the only reason they are looked up to and admired is because they are old. but watching a game in these venues can be very uncomfortable. the seats at the old stadiums are rock hard, and put your butt to sleep after the 4th inning. it's also difficult to get any food or beverages in these places cuz you gotta walk around a labrynth of hallways and underground tunnels. everything is on a smaller scale at these stadiums, which can make watching a baseball game fun b/c it's the Olde School feel, but overall, id rather be at a newer stadium with comfy seat and beer vendors walking right up to me handing me a frosty mug. but that's just MHO.

Medford Bobby
02-14-2005, 10:41 AM
:smile: Hey, for some one who has not been to a game at The "Cell" since 1991, I really enjoy the coverage ESPN has on day games and especially Sunday Nights. They take cameras everywhere and give so many views and angles of the park, that at least from TV makes the park look awesum.......:cool:

PNC Park's lights look like Old Comiskey's. That would have been a nice touch to the renovations...........:D:

rdivaldi
02-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I stopped at a house in Bridgeport first so I don't know if there is a stop directly at the park or not. There should be if there isn't and they should also include a stop right smack in front of Freddies (best italian beef in Chicago).

The Red Line L stop is right in front of the ballpark. Not to mention it is called "Sox/35th Street".

FightingBillini
02-14-2005, 11:41 AM
:smile: Hey, for some one who has not been to a game at The "Cell" since 1991, I really enjoy the coverage ESPN has on day games and especially Sunday Nights. They take cameras everywhere and give so many views and angles of the park, that at least from TV makes the park look awesum.......:cool:

PNC Park's lights look like Old Comiskey's. That would have been a nice touch to the renovations...........:D:

I agree that the lights at PNC look just like the ones at old Comiskey. However, they wouldn't look good at the Cell. The Cell is already too tall as it is. It is much taller than Comiskey was, and much taller than PNC. PNC may have the field below ground level, Im not sure. Either way, it's much shorter than the Cell. Part of the idea for removing the top of the upper deck and redoing the roof was to make the park smaller from the outside, thus less intimidating. The old light standards would make the park much taller than it currently is. I like the new light, I think they work well with the roof and the rest of the park.

mweflen
02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
yeah, the old stadiums are nice, but merely for sentimental value.

Couldn't agree more. Wrigley, Fenway, and Old Comiskey are/were all profoundly uncomfortable places to watch a ballgame.

Comiskey II has come a long way since 1990. It really looks different! It has gone from a somewhat sterile park with good angles/lines to being a pretty nice looking park with some unique features, and still the same sight lines.

My favorite renovation is the windscreen around the UD concourse. I think it looks fantastic lit up from the outside. I also like the closer foul line seats, fan deck (though it blocks the clock), ribbon boards, and new bullpens. Almost every renovation so far has been a very positive one.

I hate the "scout seats," however. These used to be seats that you could sometimes get day of game, and now they are stratospherically overpriced. Some of my favorite Sox memories include heckling Milton Bradley from right behind home plate (he turned towards me and made a rude gesture), and cheering Big Frank the same game right before he hit a game-tying homer. Alas, never again, unless I become independently wealthy.

zach074
02-14-2005, 03:19 PM
I love the stadium, i have no other sox stadium to compare it to so there is no reason for me not to love it.:)

Rush20
02-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I was really disappointed with New Comiskey after the newness of the park wore off. I thought the light blue (later black) hitting background shed was hideous. The mote between the outfield seats and the playing field was ugly and the cold concrete made the park feel sterile. The chipping paint on the upper deck roof also looked very bad the last few years before the All-Star Game Clean up efforts.

The rennovations thus far have been great IMO. I really hope that the SOX brass end the rennovations ear in 2006 with a big blast such as a new grand entrance in Left Field facing the expressway as well as some kind of Right Field attraction. I also hope they add more decorative brickwork inside the ballpark. The brickwork added thus far looks great!

I also think they are purposely waiting on swapping the lower deck and right field seats until the offseason because they plan to (a) add some kind of seat structure in right field and (b) hopefully will angle the new lower deck seats to face the infield.

They should have a nice amount of $$$ leftover as Levy is paying for the Scout Seat Restaurant rennovation and from what I understand, the new seats come out of the general maintenance fund of the Illinois Sports Authority. Therefore all US Cellular is paying for this season is the FUNdamentals addition.

FightingBillini
02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I was really disappointed with New Comiskey after the newness of the park wore off. I thought the light blue (later black) hitting background shed was hideous. The mote between the outfield seats and the playing field was ugly and the cold concrete made the park feel sterile. The chipping paint on the upper deck roof also looked very bad the last few years before the All-Star Game Clean up efforts.

The rennovations thus far have been great IMO. I really hope that the SOX brass end the rennovations ear in 2006 with a big blast such as a new grand entrance in Left Field facing the expressway as well as some kind of Right Field attraction. I also hope they add more decorative brickwork inside the ballpark. The brickwork added thus far looks great!

I also think they are purposely waiting on swapping the lower deck and right field seats until the offseason because they plan to (a) add some kind of seat structure in right field and (b) hopefully will angle the new lower deck seats to face the infield.

They should have a nice amount of $$$ leftover as Levy is paying for the Scout Seat Restaurant rennovation and from what I understand, the new seats come out of the general maintenance fund of the Illinois Sports Authority. Therefore all US Cellular is paying for this season is the FUNdamentals addition.

I hadnt heard yet that Levy would be paying for the scout seats. If that is the case, then we really will have considerably more money left over. I hope they add more brickwork inside and outside of the park. The area I think could be most improved is if they covered up all the exposed concrete behind the outfield walls and in the bullpens with bricks. That would really look good against the green of the outfield walls, IMO.

Vestigio
02-14-2005, 05:33 PM
The only way I see the park getting any credibility is if the Sox catch fire for a 3-4 year span and it becomes trendy to go to the Cell. If the park is packed with all Sox fans, Giangrecco will lie and say it is always empty. If the park is filled with yuppies there to drink, Giangrecco will call it "beautiful US Cellular Field".

That might not even bring in the casual fans. The Cell, IMO, has/will be criticized for having a bad atmosphere around the ballpark- no bars, bad neighborhood, so on. So I dont think that the Cell will catch on just for having a good team on the field

C-Dawg
02-14-2005, 05:45 PM
My favorite renovation is the windscreen around the UD concourse. I think it looks fantastic lit up from the outside. I also like the closer foul line seats, fan deck (though it blocks the clock), ribbon boards, and new bullpens. Almost every renovation so far has been a very positive one.

Yes, the screen around the outside looks fantastic! Kudos to whoever came up with that as a way to dress up that area.

ribbon boards

OK you lost me there. Although it seems a lot of other parks are getting them (even Wrigley), so I guess I should learn to live with them.

munchman33
02-14-2005, 05:54 PM

I have been to every ballpark except Colorado, Pac Bell, Petco, and Safeco. None of the other stadiums I've been too can even compare to PNC Park. As for area around the park, no city offers better views. Beautiful river, beautiful bridges, very clean streets. Lots of restaurants and bars. Perfect.

Medford Bobby
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
:?: Yea I know that we could not have tower lights like Old Comiskey as they'd be so high you would probably see them from Milwaukee. A ball park like Coors Field has the playing surface actually below street grade, there fore the park did not look huge as New Comiskey dwarfed the old park as it was being built.......:redneck

maurice
02-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Beautiful river

I like PNC very much, but this is silly. In the vicinity of Pittsburgh, the "three rivers" have the color and consistency of raw sewage.

They should try dying them green like we do. :cool:

hosieryofthegods
02-15-2005, 01:19 AM
PNC is the best park I've been to also. As for whoever was talking about camden as a paradise, go 2 blocks south. Funny, I can't believe there is a ghetto right behind Camden Yards. The only stadium that has a ghetto is USCF.:D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-15-2005, 07:35 AM

I think it was said before, but in order to "angle" the LD seating would require a good amount of reconstruction of the seating decks - the angle of the concrete is based on the previous seating...I am not an engineer but I think if you turn the seats, you comprise the amount of seats, not to mention the strength of the footing of those seats as the corners(left hand going down 3B and right hand going down 1B) ends up being closer to the step footing on the concrete. I think the fact that they are changing the seats will "cure" 85% of the seating issues talked about here...give it time and see how it takes.

Of course, if we give everything time, we'll hear complaints about the screen in UD blocking the view of the skyline and the obstructed seats in the UD also.

SOXintheBURGH
02-15-2005, 01:42 PM
I like PNC very much, but this is silly. In the vicinity of Pittsburgh, the "three rivers" have the color and consistency of raw sewage.

They should try dying them green like we do. :cool:

Oh god, it really is hideous. 100 years of STEELING dumped into the confluence of the Mong and the Alleghany which forms the mighty Ohio turned it into something really nasty. Then again, if you don't jump into the water, everything else about it is pretty. I can't wait to get to some games this year; since I haven't been to the Cell in about 3 years I feel really lucky and gracious to have the best park in the league.

BridgePortNative
02-15-2005, 02:46 PM
One thing I'd like to say is that all these "casual fans" (sub-urbanites) as people say won't be so scared anymore. All of the projects are being torn down and condos where they stand. Bridgeport isn't like it was 20 or even five years ago (Although Bronzeville needs some work). What I see IMO is that all the bad areas are being remodeled and the people who left these areas 40 or so years ago are coming back meaning....... I may get ahead of myself but look forward for parts of the South-Side to resemble the north-side areas like Lincoln Park. A better "atmosphere" for the "casual fan."