PDA

View Full Version : My Paper

BridgePortNative
02-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Later on I'm gonna write a paper explaining a "culture" that I am relative to. What better to do than the Sox fandom. The only thing is, is that I need a little help. A lot of you guys hold a lot of cherished memories of the Sox and have great intellect in the game. It is one of the things I truly respect. I need your help to further explain Sox Fandom

Thanks,

Chaz

Brian26
02-13-2005, 08:46 PM
So you want us to do your homework for you?

BridgePortNative
02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
not at all, all I'm sayin' is that I need some quotes and such thing that can be used in my paper

Brian26
02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
not at all, all I'm sayin' is that I need some quotes and such thing that can be used in my paper

Give us some more direction. Post a rough draft of it. Give us some more background info on yourself. When did you become a fan?

BridgePortNative
02-13-2005, 08:56 PM
sure thing

Ol' No. 2
02-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Later on I'm gonna write a paper explaining a "culture" that I am relative to. What better to do than the Sox fandom. The only thing is, is that I need a little help. A lot of you guys hold a lot of cherished memories of the Sox and have great intellect in the game. It is one of the things I truly respect. I need your help to further explain Sox Fandom

Thanks,

ChazA key element is being a real student of the game and not some doofus wildly cheering about something for which you have no understanding.

SouthSideHitman
02-13-2005, 09:30 PM
I would say that my Sox fandom was something that I was born into, yet something which has only grown stronger the older and wiser that I've gotten. Being a Sox fan is something that appeals to those who like the unheralded underdog. It's people who care deeply about the game and have little tolerance for Johnny-come-latelys and superficial fans. But most of all it's about a group of people who have a perverse love for a team that ultimatly does nothing but let them down.

soxfan123
02-13-2005, 09:38 PM
I think one of the best aspects of pure Sox fandom is demolishing our crosstown rivals..da flubs.

batmanZoSo
02-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Truly the forgotten and neglected stepchild in all of sports. We've gone as long as just about everyone (really, let's not quibble over the difference between 1917 and 1908) without winning it all and unlike those other two teams, we never even got attention or sympathy for it. But perhaps the defining thing about us is that we'd never want it anyway.

munchman33
02-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Ol's quote about White Sox baseball being a religion comes to mind.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-13-2005, 10:49 PM
We Sox fans relish being the underdog. When National writers refer to the Sox, of course it's Boston. When national AND local writers refer to the Chicago team, of course it's the Cubs. There are always the tools out there that love the Yankees, the Lakers, the Cubs, or whatever team is the in-team of the current era like the New England Patriots right now. It's EASY to be fans of these teams. AND THEN THERE ARE SOX FANS.

Olivo4MVP
02-14-2005, 10:08 PM
I have to write a paper on "What is important to me?" and my teacher wants us to be creative and not pick like friends and family so I picked the Sox, but I need a creative title....Any ideas??

Alanzo
02-14-2005, 11:46 PM
"On Not Being a Cubs Fan"

I have to write a paper on "What is important to me?" and my teacher wants us to be creative and not pick like friends and family so I picked the Sox, but I need a creative title....Any ideas??

BridgePortNative
02-15-2005, 12:58 AM
http://www.unc.edu/%7Ealanzo/posse.gif amazing

FightingBillini
02-15-2005, 01:03 AM
I would say that my Sox fandom was something that I was born into, yet something which has only grown stronger the older and wiser that I've gotten. Being a Sox fan is something that appeals to those who like the unheralded underdog. It's people who care deeply about the game and have little tolerance for Johnny-come-latelys and superficial fans. But most of all it's about a group of people who have a perverse love for a team that ultimatly does nothing but let them down.

I am nominating that for post of the week. I couldn't have said it better myself.

BridgePortNative
02-15-2005, 01:12 AM
I am nominating that for post of the week. I couldn't have said it better myself.

2nd that! (Damn it's late I got morning track practice)

Clarkdog
02-15-2005, 11:29 AM
The way I've always summed up being a Sox Fan to people who look at me perplexed that I would claim to be one in a "Cubs Town" is as follows:

Do you remember the Ford Edsel?

It has been nearly 50 years since the first Edsel was shown to the salivating American public on September 4, 1957, yet even though nearly five decades have passed and young children who were present that day in Edsel dealerships have grown to middle age, nothing has diminished the car's desperate, dubious legend. "Edsel" has become a synonym for abject, hopeless failure, and that is a shame because the man after whom the car was named, Henry Ford's son Edsel, was anything but a failure. In the case of the car that was named in his honor long after his untimely death, though, all the planets seemed to align to produce the worst possible result.

But today the car is fondly remembered as possibly one of the greatest ever built due to its forward thinking and innovation in design and marketing. It failed not because of a lack of effort or execution, but because failure was it's destiny.

Rooting for a White Sox Championship is like hoping an Edsel will win the Indy 500. The liklihood of it happening is slim, and the team (like the car) has an oddball quality that frustrates its fans to the point of madness. But we love the Sox just like people have a nostalgic fondness for the Edsel, and will always cheer them on despite the long odds. With the hope that perhaps one day the planets will realign in our favor.

It will happen one day.

Bucky F. Dent
02-15-2005, 12:10 PM
we never even got attention or sympathy for it. But perhaps the defining thing about us is that we'd never want it anyway.

I don't want anyone's attention or sympathy because we haven't won!

I don't want to hear about how the black sox scandal left a "curse" on this team.

That's co-dependent garbage.

Just win!

To the original question.....I was born a sox fan. Two examples:

My father worked at Inland Steel up in the region. The only tix he ever brought home from work were Hawks tix and Sox tix.

Every summer our parish priest took the altar boys to a ballgame. Every year it was a sox game. We NEVER went to a cub game. NEVER!

Baby Fisk
02-15-2005, 12:30 PM
I like what Clarkdog and SouthSideHitman have to say. I'm someone who doesn't even live in the USA and has only been to Chicago once, but has been a fan (to varying degrees of intensity) since the early 80s when I was a kid.

Being a Sox fan means living with a perpetual sense of pessimism, instead of blue-skyed optimism.

Sox fans don't say "Wait til next year!" Sox fans relentlessly criticize what went wrong this year.

Sox fans don't play up their team as loveable losers. Sox fans hate losing.

Sox fans like to be optimistic every spring, but are fully aware that disappointment lurks ahead.

Sox fans don't believe in curses or any other media-concocted mysticism about why their team doesn't win. The team doesn't win because it isn't good enough.

Sox fans know the history of the game, even though the history of the Sox is mostly free of glory.

Some people remember dates like 22 Nov 63. Sox fans obsess over 31 Jul 97 (the date of the trading deadline and the atrocity that followed).

Sox fans cherish their team even more because no one else does.

In private, without telling anyone, deep down inside, every Sox fan has fantasized about the final play that will clinch the World Championship for the White Sox, who it will involve, how it will unfold, where they will be watching at the time, and the explosive, life-altering jubilation that will follow. Then we go back to criticizing the team, the stadium, the ownership, the management, the media, the north side, the unfairness of life, etc...