PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic- Gibson '88 World Series

Brian26
02-13-2005, 07:34 PM
ESPN Classic showed Game 1 of the '88 World Series again this morning. I've seen it many times before, but not recently. I'm no fan of the Dodgers, but that was truly one of the great moments in baseball history. Unbelievable. You couldn't have scripted it any better, and Gibson deserves props because he battled his ass off at the plate. The at-bat took 6 or 7 minutes. Eckersley was nearly untouchable that year and hadn't given up a homer in over 2 months. Lasorda's reaction was priceless. Having Vin and Joe doing the commentary was classic too.

HomeFish
02-13-2005, 08:08 PM
For some reason, either in 2004 or in 2003, they showed that before every game at US Cellular Field. I became very firmly acquainted with it.

TDog
02-14-2005, 12:44 AM
For some reason, either in 2004 or in 2003, they showed that before every game at US Cellular Field. I became very firmly acquainted with it.

I feel old. When I read the title of the thread, I thought it was a misprint. I was looking for talk of Bob Gibson's record-breaking performance in the first game of the 1968 World Series.