PDA

View Full Version : Music at the Cell

6th_starter
02-13-2005, 07:09 PM
A week ago I wrote to Brooks and asked him if we could update the songs being played during introductions while coming to bat, pitching changes, between innings, etc. The featured songs have been stale for as long as I can remember and when I talk to people who arent big baseball fans that visit USCF they always say the park is boring. I (we) know its NOT and I think that updating the songs would inject energy into the crowd and players. Of course Brooks responded and Ive posted it below ....
My question to you sox fans is what song suggestions would you make? ...who knows, if the GO Dept reads these boards maybe they'll throw some on the 'list'

(Brooks reply)

I agree with you.

We have created a new Game Operations department to address these issues. It is my understanding that the players request certain songs to be played when they come to bat. I have no problem with this as long as we have a list of songs (most of which we will pick, not the player) to keep the presentation fresh and current.

Thanks for the note and I hope you enjoy the ballpark experience this coming season.

Brooks

NSSoxFan
02-13-2005, 07:23 PM
No, no, not again, nooooooooo.

TornLabrum
02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I wrote an email to Brooks asking, "Paper or Plastic?" Here is his response:

"Paper kills trees, but plastic puts a strain on our precious petroleum reserves. We're working on putting together bags made of canvas made solely from renewable resources. They will be available in the White Sox Gift Shop opening day.

Brooks"

The guy is a marketing genius!

Stoky44
02-13-2005, 08:30 PM
What is not stale and boring to me is classic stuff. Meaning not too much if any of this piped in crap. I want to hear Nancy playing on her organ. The thing I like about the games out in L.A. is that they have organ music much of the time and play classic songs. I love hearing Nancy playing Run around Sue, Lakeshore Drive, classical gas, etc. There is some classical baseball songs that I wouldn't mind being played, for example, the song put me in coach I am ready to play, can't think of the title. If I want to here top 40 songs I will turn on the radio when I get in my car, but at the game keep it to the classics. Just my opinion.

Soxzilla
02-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Just don't mess with my Zombie Nation techno and Steam, then I won't need to draw any blood.

batmanZoSo
02-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Dear Brooks,

I am a frequent poster at whitesoxinteractive and I've been toying with the idea of starting a thread there about an email to you. But I can't think of anything to ask you. So if you have the time, just go ahead and ask yourself one of your most common questions and then answer it. My email is ______.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-13-2005, 11:00 PM
If you were around in '77, Nancy Faust used to play Na-Na-Hey-Hey for what seemed like 10 minutes when we would chase a pitcher. That ROCKED, and made me a die-hard for life as much as anything. Now she only gets to play it for about 10 seconds, so as not to offend the opposing team. THAT SUCKS! More Nancy at the park would be all good.

A.T. Money
02-14-2005, 12:35 AM
This is the song we need to play when the Sox take the field. LOL

gosox41
02-14-2005, 02:31 PM
A week ago I wrote to Brooks and asked him if we could update the songs being played during introductions while coming to bat, pitching changes, between innings, etc. The featured songs have been stale for as long as I can remember and when I talk to people who arent big baseball fans that visit USCF they always say the park is boring. I (we) know its NOT and I think that updating the songs would inject energy into the crowd and players. Of course Brooks responded and Ive posted it below ....
My question to you sox fans is what song suggestions would you make? ...who knows, if the GO Dept reads these boards maybe they'll throw some on the 'list'

(Brooks reply)

I agree with you.

We have created a new Game Operations department to address these issues. It is my understanding that the players request certain songs to be played when they come to bat. I have no problem with this as long as we have a list of songs (most of which we will pick, not the player) to keep the presentation fresh and current.

Thanks for the note and I hope you enjoy the ballpark experience this coming season.

Brooks

This reminds me of the late '90' when the team wasn't good. I would go to game and when the players were warming up before the top of the first, the speakers would be blaring the song with they lyrics: 'Oooooooohhhhhh that smell. Can't you smell that smell...'

Don't know the rest of the words or the name of the song (could be the first line I listed for all I know) but it was played multiple times and was laughable because the team was playing like a certain odor that isn't too pleasant.

Bob

WikdChiSoxFan
02-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Does anyone remember that techno mix they used to play with video for the starters at the begining of the game? If so, I need to get that some to make my own crazy techno starting pitcher videos. I miss that intro spiel, but I know I must be in the minority so I won't push on bringin' THAT back. Let me know if you remember or know where i could find it.

Thanks...

BlackSox
02-14-2005, 06:57 PM
This reminds me of the late '90' when the team wasn't good. I would go to game and when the players were warming up before the top of the first, the speakers would be blaring the song with they lyrics: 'Oooooooohhhhhh that smell. Can't you smell that smell...'

Don't know the rest of the words or the name of the song...
Bob

"That Smell" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Great tune, awesome jam at the end.

Palehose13
02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
You go to a ballpark for the baseball. You go to a dance club for the music. If you don't know where I stand, read the sig. :wink:

I want Mags back
02-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Record with song "Put me in Coach" played when we take the field
0- alot

Id love to hear "Chicago" played more by Nancy. Im tired of going to
Sox fight songs every time i want to hear it.

6th_starter
02-14-2005, 09:31 PM
:smile: glad you guys had fun with the Brooks letter. Im not ashamed. The way I look at it, I spend thousands at the park, and Im glad we have a guy who listens to our 2 pennies.
My point was, as long as theyre gonna play music, at least have it be fun and elevate the intensity. Theyve played the same obscure goofy songs from the late 80s year after year.
Skynard is cool, techno, the Outfield, just mix it up and keep it fun. I personally like that Ozzy intro Paulie has.

soxfaninnewyork
02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
It would be great if Nancy were allowed to play some of the songs that were picked by the players and have it alternate with the DJ stuff. Plus, her music is so good she can make just about any song sound like the real thing, if not better. DJ first time around the batting order, Nancy second time, and so on...

JKryl
02-15-2005, 01:54 PM
I wrote an email to Brooks asking, "Paper or Plastic?" Here is his response:

"Paper kills trees, but plastic puts a strain on our precious petroleum reserves. We're working on putting together bags made of canvas made solely from renewable resources. They will be available in the White Sox Gift Shop opening day.

Brooks"

The guy is a marketing genius!

Actually, if they make them a little bigger than the current mugs, waterproof, and with ear straps on them, it may save us a lot of time at the beer stands.

Church Turtle
02-16-2005, 04:33 PM
The "Put me in coach" song that was referenced earlier was "Centerfield" from the album by the same name by CCR front-man John C. Fogerty. Perfect baseball song.

I recall being at a game and every time Doug Strange came up to bat Nancy would play the Doors' song "People are Strange". It's one of my fondest memories of that particular game. I know some songs probably wouldn't sound as good on an organ, and with players picking thier own intros, but when you've got a great organist, why pump music in? And the organ is part of what makes a ball game different than an NBA game for example.

jabrch
02-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I think we still need piped in music for the next time Chuck Finley comes to town. I don't think Nancy plays White Snake, does she?

paciorek1983
02-16-2005, 05:19 PM
It would be great if Nancy were allowed to play some of the songs that were picked by the players and have it alternate with the DJ stuff. Plus, her music is so good she can make just about any song sound like the real thing, if not better. DJ first time around the batting order, Nancy second time, and so on...

This sounds like a good idea to me. You know they'll never get rid of the piped in stuff because they spent so much money on the sound system. And Nany does a great job on any song. One of my favorites is actually a Madonna song--Like a Prayer, it sounds great on an organ. Sorry I'm not a fan of most classic rock, except something on along the lines of Van Halen.:smile:

TornLabrum
02-16-2005, 09:22 PM
This sounds like a good idea to me. You know they'll never get rid of the piped in stuff because they spent so much money on the sound system. And Nany does a great job on any song. One of my favorites is actually a Madonna song--Like a Prayer, it sounds great on an organ. Sorry I'm not a fan of most classic rock, except something on along the lines of Van Halen.:smile:

You know you're getting old when Van Halen is considered "classic rock."