PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens?

buehrle4cy05
02-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Just read on espn.com that the White Sox traded Alex Escobar for Nationals Minor League OF Jerry Owens? His batting average at single-A didn't look too bad...anybody got anything else on this guy?

OEO Magglio
02-13-2005, 04:13 PM
He's very, very fast.

PAPChiSox729
02-13-2005, 06:23 PM
This is the official release from whitesox.com. Here's the link:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050213&content_id=942819&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

JUribe1989
02-13-2005, 09:08 PM
I am loving our future outfield of LF Ryan Sweeney, CF Jerry Owens, and RF Brian Anderson

idseer
02-13-2005, 09:32 PM
I am loving our future outfield of LF Ryan Sweeney, CF Jerry Owens, and RF Brian Anderson

you don't think rowand will be around awhile:?:

JUribe1989
02-13-2005, 09:48 PM
you don't think rowand will be around awhile:?:

Well maybe our future back up outfield, then future outfield. I'm pretty thrilled with Pods, Rowand, and Dye right now, but you never know with free agency and everything.

California Sox
02-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Let's not forget Chris Young, who may not make it, but if he does he has an extremely high ceiling. Speed and power. :cool:

Randar68
02-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Let's not forget Chris Young, who may not make it, but if he does he has an extremely high ceiling. Speed and power. :cool:

Really rooting for Chris Young. Great kid who just enjoys playing the game, has a passion for life and baseball.

rdivaldi
02-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Really rooting for Chris Young. Great kid who just enjoys playing the game, has a passion for life and baseball.

I second that remark. Here's a kid with the ability to be a true 5-tool outfielder with the hustle and desire to back it up.

Randar68
02-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Just read on espn.com that the White Sox traded Alex Escobar for Nationals Minor League OF Jerry Owens? His batting average at single-A didn't look too bad...anybody got anything else on this guy?

Best athlete in the Expos/Nationals system. Former WR at UCLA, transferred to Masters College to "deepen his faith" and to resume a baseball playing career after being injured in football several times. Hadn't played since HS but burst onto the scene and was a 2nd round pick in 2003 draft.

Blazing speed, very limited power, good arm. Good all-around athlete, still not a truly instinctive base-stealer. Will be a CF'er. Very toolsy and showed good progress in his first full-season league this year.

Good pick-up turning a guy we had no place for into a legit prospect. Was old for his league, but that is due to the extenuating circumstances WRT taking a couple years off from baseball.

Will start in Winston-Salem as far as I can tell. Was ranked 3rd best athlete (behind only Weeks and Milledge) and 5th fastest runner in 2003 draft per BA.

Randar68
02-14-2005, 12:02 PM
I second that remark. Here's a kid with the ability to be a true 5-tool outfielder with the hustle and desire to back it up.

4-tool. The arm will never be more than average.

maurice
02-14-2005, 12:07 PM

Young still needs to get his AVE up (obviously), and the reports I've seen say that he doesn't have a very good arm. Do you have a different impression of him?

No doubt that Young has great speed / power combo. I look forward to seeing him for the first time this year.

veeter
02-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Sounds like another Carl Crawford. Hope he plays like him.

rdivaldi
02-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Young still needs to get his AVE up (obviously), and the reports I've seen say that he doesn't have a very good arm. Do you have a different impression of him?

In the very limited exposure I had I really did think he had a pretty good arm. Then again, I didn't get to see much more than his throwing to the cutoff man or throwing the ball back into the infield after a put out. I never saw an assist, so guys who have had more exposure (you, Randar) are probably more credible in your assessment.

Still, a 4 tool player is nothing to sneeze at...

Carr
03-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I pitched against him in college. Owens was the best player I ever faced as a pitcher. I could not get the ball by him and he fell for nothing. He is a great gaps hitter and as far as speed, not many are faster than him. The year I face him was his first year back playing ball and I would never have guessed he stopped. A pure natural. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the majors this year as if nothing else, a pinch runner.

owensmouth
03-06-2005, 01:46 AM
He played in todays game against the Diamondbacks. Went 0 for 2, but made a real nice catch in the outfield

hose
03-06-2005, 06:15 AM
I pitched against him in college. Owens was the best player I ever faced as a pitcher. I could not get the ball by him and he fell for nothing. He is a great gaps hitter and as far as speed, not many are faster than him. The year I face him was his first year back playing ball and I would never have guessed he stopped. A pure natural. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the majors this year as if nothing else, a pinch runner.

:welcome:

It's great to have first hand knowledge.......could you tell me if it was right hand or left hand and what college did you pitch for.

SweetHereafter
03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Sox need from Owens same as they do from Willie and Spidale:

OBP
extra bases (steals or not) on the 'pads
defense
bunting
low salary
more OBP still

Forget about Slugging %.

threecyl
03-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Owens has been timed down the line by ML Scouts, faster than Suzuki. He averages about 3.8 and has been timed as fast as 3.66.

He was the fastest receiver at UCLA at 4.46.

When talking about his arm or power, remember he missed his first year of rookie ball with shoulder surgery and probably had an injured shoulder in college. Last year was his first full year in the minors and he hit .292 with almost 20 doubles. AND 30 SB's.

Now he is 5/14 = .357 combined major and minor training camps and may be better than anyone thnks.This was a great trade for the Sox!

Randar68
03-28-2005, 07:06 PM
and may be better than anyone thnks.

If that's the case, then he's going to be a HELL of a player, because I like him a lot. Was very impressed by that trade by Kenny.

PAPChiSox729
03-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Owens has been timed down the line by ML Scouts, faster than Suzuki. He averages about 3.8 and has been timed as fast as 3.66.

He was the fastest receiver at UCLA at 4.46.

When talking about his arm or power, remember he missed his first year of rookie ball with shoulder surgery and probably had an injured shoulder in college. Last year was his first full year in the minors and he hit .292 with almost 20 doubles. AND 30 SB's.

Now he is 5/14 = .357 combined major and minor training camps and may be better than anyone thnks.This was a great trade for the Sox!

Firstly,

:welcome:

Secondly, I sure hope your right. If he is as good of a player as you are making him out to be, then Kenny just got a huge steal.