PDA

View Full Version : Giambi will file for FA

Paulwny
10-24-2001, 09:26 PM
Wednesday, October 24, 2001

Agent: Giambi plans for free agency
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Jason Giambi plans to file for free agency, despite the Oakland Athletics' willingness to drop their opposition to a no-trade clause.

"Unless they make some pre-emptive offer, he's going to file," agent Arn Tellem said Wednesday.

The A's and Giambi had reportedly agreed on a $91 million, six-year contract during spring training, but talks stalled when it came to Giambi's insistence on a no-trade clause.

The deal was shelved, but the A's began budging on their opposition to the no-trade clause in recent weeks.

Giambi is eligible to file for free agency in the first 15 days after the conclusion of the World Series. By some estimates, a six-year deal could net the charismatic first baseman $150 million, with the New York Yankees possibly interested.

Giambi, a favorite among his teammates and Oakland fans, has repeatedly said that he would like to stay with the A's.

"He's not closing the door on the A's," Tellem said Wednesday. "He's just seeing what else might be out there."

A's general manager Billy Beane told the San Francisco Chronicle that he didn't blame Giambi for trying out free agency.

"He's going to test the waters," Beane told the newspaper. "He's earned that right. He could well be the MVP again this year. But I'm still optimistic. The three of us have a good relationship, so there's trust and good feeling in the negotiations."

Giambi hit .342 this season, second in the AL to Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki, with 38 homers and 120 RBIs. He led the league with a .477 on-base percentage and a .660 slugging percentage.

The A's have a balancing act: however the team proceeds with Giambi will impact the contracts of outfielder Johnny Damon and closer Jason Isringhausen, also free agents.

Daver
10-24-2001, 09:34 PM
Methinks the Lumbering Ox will stay in Oakland.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Paulwny
10-24-2001, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by daver

Damn King George-- no Knoblauch, no Brosius, no Martinez, no O'Neil--- frees up a lot of $$$$$ next year.

GASHWOUND
10-24-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by daver

Maybe, but remember, What the Spankees want...the Spankees get.

On the otherhand, the whitesox motto is, What the Sox want, they won't get cause it will cost to much or they would have to trade some of their youngens.

cheeses_h_rice
10-24-2001, 10:54 PM
Gosh I hope he signs with the Yankees.

Lord knows those young, underpaid whippersnappers could use some veteran help -- they've sucked so much the last half a decade, after all!

GASHWOUND
10-24-2001, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Gosh I hope he signs with the Yankees.

Lord knows those young, underpaid whippersnappers could use some veteran help -- they've sucked so much the last half a decade, after all!

LOL! Yeah, those poor, poor Spanks. I sure hope Giambi also signs with the Spanks and lifts the spirits of that struggling franchise.

NOT!!!!!!!

Iwritecode
10-25-2001, 10:39 AM
I know this is dreaming but wouldn't a lineup featuring Thomas, Maggs, Giambi and CLee look great?

Sorry Walnuts...

:walnuts
HEY!!!

FarWestChicago
10-25-2001, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I know this is dreaming but wouldn't a lineup featuring Thomas, Maggs, Giambi and CLee look great? Yeah, PHG and I have been having that dream for a while. Then you wake up every morning and remember Reinsy owns the team...

HootieMcBoob
10-25-2001, 01:47 PM
I like it whenever West posts so I can see how hot Jessica Alba is...LOL!!! :)

Paulwny
10-25-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
I like it whenever West posts so I can see how hot Jessica Alba is...LOL!!! :)

Yea, West should post at least every 5 min; keeps the blood and other items moving.

Iwritecode
10-25-2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Yea, West should post at least every 5 min; keeps the blood and other items moving.

Yea, he even convinced her that Manos is pure guts.
:)