PDA

View Full Version : Old But Interesting Quote on Renovations

FightingBillini
02-12-2005, 05:38 PM
I was searching google about the home run porch, and I found this page from 2003:
http://www.projectballpark.org/future/cellular.html

To quote Mark Konkol "To rid the stadium of its parking garage-like feel, a 'home run landing' will be added, along with new balconies on the lower sky boxes, a tiered viewing area atop the center field "fan deck" and more seats around the last ring of the lower deck and behind home plate, according to an Illinois Sports Facilities Authority memorandum obtained by the Daily Southtown."
Other off season renovations include building new offices, a TV truck storage area, and new signage. This whole shebang will cost around $40 million when the 2005 seasons opens. Other possibilities that might happen after the 2004 season are building another home run landing, filling in the umpire's tunnel behind home plate with new seats and a club area, converting unused suites into "activity areas", and adding another row of seats to the last row of the lower level.

Obviously, some of that happened already, and some of it doesnt even make sense. Two HR porches? Maybe they were planning one for left field and decided to put the fundamentals there. It also mentions new offices. We havent heard about this since then, but that would allow them to move the ramps inside. Does anyone remember this, and were any other details given out?

NSSoxFan
02-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Obviously, some of that happened already, and some of it doesnt even make sense. Two HR porches? Maybe they were planning one for left field and decided to put the fundamentals there. It also mentions new offices. We havent heard about this since then, but that would allow them to move the ramps inside. Does anyone remember this, and were any other details given out?

I am fine with the way USCF is going to be after these rounds of renovations. I would like to see a home run porch in right, but it isn't a huge deal. Over the past years we have seen our park go from one of the worst in the league to one of the best.

TornLabrum
02-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I was searching google about the home run porch, and I found this page from 2003:
http://www.projectballpark.org/future/cellular.html

:reinsy

"Imagine my surprise when I discovered the current renovations have already cost $40 million and the cost of the home run porch would have to come out of my pocket."

:hawk

"It gawn!"

Clembasbal
02-12-2005, 06:31 PM
I am fine with the way USCF is going to be after these rounds of renovations. I would like to see a home run porch in right, but it isn't a huge deal. Over the past years we have seen our park go from one of the worst in the league to one of the best.

I agree that it has totally turned around, but I do think that the Sox need the HR porch more so now than ever. We went from a power team to a speed team. When we reconfigured the roof the wind in stadium changed and made it more of a hitters park than it was before. If we are able to do something that will once again revert it back and make it a stadium that suits our players than I think JR should serioulsy think about - but that really will never happen if he has to pay for it.

NSSoxFan
02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
I agree that it has totally turned around, but I do think that the Sox need the HR porch more so now than ever. We went from a power team to a speed team. When we reconfigured the roof the wind in stadium changed and made it more of a hitters park than it was before. If we are able to do something that will once again revert it back and make it a stadium that suits our players than I think JR should serioulsy think about - but that really will never happen if he has to pay for it.

I don't think a home run porch would make the Cell revert back to pre 2004 statistics.

MRKARNO
02-12-2005, 07:03 PM
I don't think there will be an HR porch, nor do I see the need for one. HR Porch is just another term for outfield upper deck seats and I don't think we need any of those. There would be some absolutely terrible views in some spots possibly. You have to consider that people would actually have to sit in those areas or else there is no real need to build it.

If you build it, they won't necessarily come.

batmanZoSo
02-12-2005, 07:23 PM
I don't think there will be an HR porch, nor do I see the need for one. HR Porch is just another term for outfield upper deck seats and I don't think we need any of those. There would be some absolutely terrible views in some spots possibly. You have to consider that people would actually have to sit in those areas or else there is no real need to build it.

If you build it, they won't necessarily come.

If you build it, it won't necessarily block seats. Anything to break the monotony of the innovative billboard bowl design.

A deck like the one in Texas would do wonders for this park. It would add some shade, a little character and it would really close in the park, making it look and feel less expansive (I didn't want to say it, but cozy is the word). If it requires a few poles, so be it.

Okay, it shouldn't be exactly like the one in Texas, but something similar yet with a Sox fingerprint.

chisoxt
02-12-2005, 07:29 PM
If you build it, it won't necessarily block seats. Anything to break the monotony of the innovative billboard bowl design.

A deck like the one in Texas would do wonders for this park. It would add some shade, a little character and it would really close in the park, making it look and feel less expansive (I didn't want to say it, but cozy is the word). If it requires a few poles, so be it.

Okay, it shouldn't be exactly like the one in Texas, but something similar yet with a Sox fingerprint.

It would also add back some of the seating capacity lost with the recent renovations

batmanZoSo
02-12-2005, 07:44 PM
It would also add back some of the seating capacity lost with the recent renovations

H-h-hey...this guy's alright.

lths06
02-12-2005, 07:44 PM
So will there be no money to build the fandeck next year, or is there still some left? Maybe JR will pitch in for the rest of the $.

FightingBillini
02-12-2005, 08:42 PM
So will there be no money to build the fandeck next year, or is there still some left? Maybe JR will pitch in for the rest of the $.

Well, he wouldn't necessarily have to pitch in that much. It has been rumored that a forthcoming HR porch will the "Jack Daniels HR porch". If they got a corporate sponsorship that went beyond the name (ie. product available at that deck, % of concessions or tickets sales for that area go to company, big neon sign on the roof ala the Budweiser sign at Fenway) then the Sox may be able to get the company to pay for most or all of the deck.

paciorek1983
02-12-2005, 11:21 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the money made off of the Scout seats is going to be used to pay for the Fundamentals area, therefore there is more money left for other renovations. I wish I could remember where I saw that.

SoxFan76
02-13-2005, 02:05 AM
I'm assuming, and hoping, that all this money is from the US Cellular deal.

Parrothead
02-13-2005, 08:21 AM

Why do the Sox need more seats when the current one are not filled?

zach074
02-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Why do the Sox need more seats when the current one are not filled?

The current ones will be filled alot more this year. Like during the playoffs.

SoxFan76
02-13-2005, 01:33 PM
The current ones will be filled alot more this year. Like during the playoffs.

How quickly we forget the multiple sellouts during the middle of the season when the Sox were in 1st and were W-I-N-N-I-N-G!!! Oh what a concept. Don't listen to Cub fans, attendance won't be a problem.

Parrothead
02-13-2005, 01:41 PM
How quickly we forget the multiple sellouts during the middle of the season when the Sox were in 1st and were W-I-N-N-I-N-G!!! Oh what a concept. Don't listen to Cub fans, attendance won't be a problem.

Last year the attendance average was 23,834 per game and 23,945 the year before. That barely fills the lower deck. Adding a home run porch at this time would be a waste of money except those few games when the place does sell out. The only thing that will fill the park is consistent winning over the years. I beg the people to stop the talk of a home run porch since there is no reason for it.

NSSoxFan
02-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Last year the attendance average was 23,834 per game and 23,945 the year before. That barely fills the lower deck. Adding a home run porch at this time would be a waste of money except those few games when the place does sell out. The only thing that will fill the park is consistent winning over the years. I beg the people to stop the talk of a home run porch since there is no reason for it.

Agreed, good post.

GiveMeSox
02-13-2005, 04:51 PM

I dont think thats the point. I think the point is it sounds like there is going to be a lot of money left over from the naming rights deal and it has to go somewhere. This year was supposed to be last of rennovations but if there is money left over then it has to spend on BALLPARK IMPROVEMENTS only as this was the agreement when the deal was made. Therefore if the scout seats revenue goes for the fundamentals construction, then essentially there should be quite a bit of left over money. Some rumors have said there is as much as $20 mil left.

The question is then how to REINVEST that into the park as to make it a better place to see a game, thus drawing more fans, even if it means more casuals and tourists. The only things left on the list are really to make changes for a home run porch, grand entrance, removed/reduce exterior ramps, and such.

The fact of what attendance currently is doesn't matter. The point is to get creative and do things to the park to increase the attendance figure. The money is there, we just have to spend it the right way.

Parrothead
02-13-2005, 09:37 PM
The fact of what attendance currently is doesn't matter. The point is to get creative and do things to the park to increase the attendance figure. The money is there, we just have to spend it the right way.

The money is spent. People are not going to come to the park just because there is a home run porch, entrance, ect... A winning team will put people in the park on a consistent basis, novelities wear off. If you don't think so, look to Pittsburgh, Detroit, Colorado, Arizona, Milwaukee, ect....All these teams have the great ballparks and people don't show. Give it up ! The money is spent there will be no more renovations and none are necessary, except for maybe new uniforms.

batmanZoSo
02-13-2005, 09:46 PM
The money is spent. People are not going to come to the park just because there is a home run porch, entrance, ect... A winning team will put people in the park on a consistent basis, novelities wear off. If you don't think so, look to Pittsburgh, Detroit, Colorado, Arizona, Milwaukee, ect....All these teams have the great ballparks and people don't show. Give it up ! The money is spent there will be no more renovations and none are necessary, except for maybe new uniforms.

Don't be so sure, when they got those cool stainless steel countertops I was all over the Ticketmaster counter. :cool:

Dude, of course a winning team is the ultimate answer. But a nice ballpark helps no doubt. Case in point, Oakland.

GiveMeSox
02-13-2005, 09:51 PM

Thats definatly true. Winning is the best way to put buts in the seats. But you still want to be profitiable even if your not winning, or making the post season. That is where turning your ballpark into a place people want to go comes in. We made the deal with US Cellular to get the money, now we have it. So its time to make sure that money gets spent in the best way possible in terms of astetics and raising revenue. I for one would love to see the exterior ramps reduced or demolished. If they could just make the main entrance, the one on 35th st, not look like a maze of conrete ramps that would be great. I suggest a whole a new entrance on the old comiskey area site. Better sox theme, more retro appeal, smaller and more efficient movement of people into/out of stadium, and making that area a cool gathering place with food,beer, souvaniers, etc.

Parrothead
02-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Dude, of course a winning team is the ultimate answer. But a nice ballpark helps no doubt. Case in point, Oakland.

Oakland averaged

over the last four years which is still more than the Sox and with a smaller metropolitan area to draw from. In addition, thier park is considered worse than ours. The only time the sox came close is in 2000 with 24,047 and prior to that 32,026 in 1994.

Any other changes to the park will come out of Jerry's money and we all know that will not happen.

You're damn right that won't happen. What would I tell the stockholders?

Ol' No. 2
02-13-2005, 10:30 PM
I dont think thats the point. I think the point is it sounds like there is going to be a lot of money left over from the naming rights deal and it has to go somewhere. This year was supposed to be last of rennovations but if there is money left over then it has to spend on BALLPARK IMPROVEMENTS only as this was the agreement when the deal was made. Therefore if the scout seats revenue goes for the fundamentals construction, then essentially there should be quite a bit of left over money. Some rumors have said there is as much as $20 mil left.

The question is then how to REINVEST that into the park as to make it a better place to see a game, thus drawing more fans, even if it means more casuals and tourists. The only things left on the list are really to make changes for a home run porch, grand entrance, removed/reduce exterior ramps, and such.

The fact of what attendance currently is doesn't matter. The point is to get creative and do things to the park to increase the attendance figure. The money is there, we just have to spend it the right way.I don't know why you would assume there's so much money left over from the naming rights. Also, the naming rights deal was for 20 years. I wouldn't assume they get the whole $62M up front. It's probably going to be paid out over the full 20 yrs. Last, a second deck over the RF stands would, I think, be a lot more money than everything they've done up till now combined. You're not talking about a few tweaks or renovations. You're talking about an entirely new structure. I sure wouldn't spend tens of millions of dollars on a bunch of seats that will sit empty most of the time.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
02-13-2005, 11:23 PM
I don't know why you would assume there's so much money left over from the naming rights. Also, the naming rights deal was for 20 years. I wouldn't assume they get the whole $62M up front. It's probably going to be paid out over the full 20 yrs. Last, a second deck over the RF stands would, I think, be a lot more money than everything they've done up till now combined. You're not talking about a few tweaks or renovations. You're talking about an entirely new structure. I sure wouldn't spend tens of millions of dollars on a bunch of seats that will sit empty most of the time.

well with the contract for naming rights secured, the white sox took out loans at a fixed rate that will be paid back with the money from us cellular. that's how they were able to do all the renovations. so if there is money left over, they do have it already and don't have to wait for it.

NSSoxFan
02-13-2005, 11:29 PM
well with the contract for naming rights secured, the white sox took out loans at a fixed rate that will be paid back with the money from us cellular. that's how they were able to do all the renovations. so if there is money left over, they do have it already and don't have to wait for it.

How do you know this cheese?

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
02-17-2005, 12:51 PM
How do you know this cheese?

i remember reading about it when they first announced the naming rights deal and the renovations.