PDA

View Full Version : Skip's an ass

Vsahajpal
10-24-2001, 08:08 PM
Isn't this the guy who wanted Koren Robinson and Sagana Diop? Why is he still employed?

TOO MUCH TO BEAR
49ers have been horror to Bears

BY SKIP BAYLESS
Mercury News
Sunday looms as ``Friday the 13th'' in Chicago. The 49ers might as well wear goalie masks. History could repeat like slasher flicks on cable through Halloween weekend.

``Boo!'' could take on a whole new meaning at Soldier Field.

From Guy McIntyre to Terrell Owens to Andre Carter, the 49ers have routinely and thoroughly humiliated the Bears over the past 20 years. Again and again the Niners have turned Chicago's dreams into bad dreams. Just when Chicago fans thought it was safe to trust their beloved Bears, the 49ers have struck to the beat of ``Psycho's'' eek-eek-eek.

San Francisco has beaten Chicago eight times since 1980, by a horrifying average of 32-6.

``The 49ers,'' says Chicago radio legend and lifelong Bears fan Chet Coppock, ``have inflicted more humiliation on the Bears in the last 20 years than the entire NFC combined.''

Now the 4-1 Bears have wandered fearlessly into the woods again. Another ``Bear Witch Project''? Pull down the shades (of the '80s). As they did in their glory days, the Bears are winning with tough-as-winter defense. The key additions? Two former No. 1 picks discarded by the 49ers, elephantine run-stuffer Ted Washington and late-blooming cornerback R.W. McQuarters, who has ``Franchise'' tattooed on his pecs.

Quarterback Jim Miller, a team favorite, is finally playing because of a Game 2 injury to coach-favorite Shane Matthews. This Jim M. sounds as matter-of-fact cocky as another (Jim McMahon) did during the Bears' magical Super Bowl season of 1985. Miller says: ``We believe we can dominate people.''

It feels almost like '85 again for the Monsters of the Wrong Way. They're winning in spite of dead-headed coaching and scouting staffs that drafted Brian Urlacher only after failing to trade up for wide receiver Plaxico Burress. They played Urlacher out of position at strongside linebacker, then demoted him. Only an injury to middle linebacker Barry Minter in last year's fifth game put Urlacher into the lineup. Now many fans believe he's already better than Hall of Famer Mike Singletary.

Could it finally be? At heart, Chicago is a pro football town. Now, just as fans start believing their Bears will make the playoffs for the first time in seven years, the 4-1 49ers hit town like a chilling wind off Lake Michigan.

The 49ers have always snowed on Chicago's parade. This began in the '84 playoffs at Candlestick, when the 49ers rubbed it in by lining up guard Guy McIntyre in the backfield and handing it to him for a touchdown. Niners, 23-0.

The Bears got even in '85 with rookie defensive tackle William ``Refrigerator'' Perry running for a touchdown against San Francisco. Chicago, 26-10.

But on a Monday-night stage in '87, the 49ers annihilated a Bears defense that had allowed a record-low 187 points the previous season. San Francisco, 41-0. Mike Ditka, who looked as if he could have been raised by Herman Munster, fired his gum at taunting fans as he left the field at halftime.

NFC championship game, Soldier Field, Jan. 8, 1989. ``Bear Weather,'' wind-chill of 40 below. Look out below: Joe Montana 28, Bear Weather 3.

Final game of the '89 season, Bears hoping to gain playoff momentum. San Francisco, 26-0. Final game of '91, another Monday-nighter. Niners, 52-14. Dave Wannstedt's first playoff game replacing Ditka, at Candlestick's bear trap in early '94. Niners, 44-15.

San Francisco over Chicago. Imagination over intimidation. Precision toughness over street fighting. Balloons, surgically punctured.

Jerry Rice Day at 3Com in December, Pat Summerall and John Madden on hand. Bears' ``intelligence'' -- reading Bay Area papers -- tipped them that Rice could be a primary target. They double-covered Rice, leaving converted running back Jerry Azumah to chase Terrell Owens, who broke a 50-year-old NFL record with 20 catches. The 49ers, who allowed an average of 26.4 points per game last season, shut out the Bears 17-0. This was the final appearance of draft bust Cade McNown. The Bears' response when criticized for taking McNown over Daunte Culpepper? Bill Walsh liked him.

The 49ers added insult to insult in April's draft.

The Bears openly coveted Cal defensive end Andre Carter, the speed rusher they lack. Coach Dick Jauron confirmed this in a Friday night conversation with his close friend Steve Mariucci, who worked with him at Green Bay. On draft day, the 49ers, picking ninth, leapfrogged the Bears, drafting eighth, by trading with Seattle. The Niners devastated the Bears by snatching Carter.

The Bears settled for receiver David Terrell, who now must fill the winged cleats of injured Marcus Robinson. Maybe Terrell, Washington and McQuarters will come back to haunt the 49ers. Maybe ``Rice Day'' revenge will turn the Bears into terrors. Maybe this column, posted in their locker room, will work better than an exorcist.

More likely, just as fans settle into their seats Sunday, a hand will come plunging up through the sod like ``Carrie's.'' It will belong to Owens, and it will catch another touchdown pass.

Daver
10-24-2001, 08:46 PM
That one was definately written by Fluffy,Jay couldn't spell half those names.

GASHWOUND
10-24-2001, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by daver
That one was definately written by Fluffy,Jay couldn't spell half those names.

Hey daver, I think its time for you to go huntin' again. I hear San Jose is a great place to find some dumbasses this time of year.... or deer. :)

Daver
10-24-2001, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Hey daver, I think its time for you to go huntin' again. I hear San Jose is a great place to find some dumbasses this time of year or deer. :)

I did that on purpose.

FarWestChicago
10-24-2001, 09:47 PM
I obviously don't regret my decision to cancel my subscription to the Merc. I couldn't believe they hired Clueless.

:clueless

I love the internet. I can still harrass the fans in Chicago!

CerberusWG
10-24-2001, 09:47 PM
What a complete Tard. Did he have to look up these games to do a report on them? Did he even see any of them? Look at the Bears schdule, look at 49ers schedule. Wow, 49ers have beaten up on the lowly teams, Atlanta twice, the lowly Jets, and the Panthers. They lost to the rams. I'm sorry but that doesn't show you *****. I'm waiting for when Owens runs a crossing pattern and gets clocked. Then I want to hear what Clueless says. What a dumbass.

Daver
10-24-2001, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
What a complete Tard. Did he have to look up these games to do a report on them? Did he even see any of them? Look at the Bears schdule, look at 49ers schedule. Wow, 49ers have beaten up on the lowly teams, Atlanta twice, the lowly Jets, and the Panthers. They lost to the rams. I'm sorry but that doesn't show you *****. I'm waiting for when Owens runs a crossing pattern and gets clocked. Then I want to hear what Clueless says. What a dumbass.

The Bears are playing the same fifth place schedule.

RKMeibalane
10-24-2001, 09:59 PM
The Bears are winning with defense, which is something the 'Niners don't have much of. This is why the Bears will win on Sunday, and Clueless will cry into his beer.

FarWestChicago
10-24-2001, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The Bears are winning with defense, which is something the 'Niners don't have much of. This is why the Bears will win on Sunday, and Clueless will cry into his beer.

I'm a Whiner fan now. I drink Chardonnay.

Daver
10-24-2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

I'm a Whiner fan now. I drink Chardonnay.

Want some cheese to go with that?

How about some Moose jerky?

:)

FarWestChicago
10-24-2001, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by daver
Want some cheese to go with that?

I prefer Brie.

Daver
10-24-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

I prefer Brie.

Where does one hunt Brie?

And when does the season open?

Is it restricted to shotgun only or can I bring out the artillery?

Enquiring minds want to know.