PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Returns to Mets

RKMeibalane
02-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1989516

Brian26
02-11-2005, 09:21 PM
A special instructor of what?...How to do lines of coke off a whore's ass in the hotel room? Give me a ****ing break. This clown should be in jail.

RKMeibalane
02-11-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't know why, but I have the feeling he ends up playing for them this season. As ridiculous as that sounds, it just might happen.

Nick@Nite
02-11-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm guessing that the Mets want Strawberry around because of his name recognition to help generate interest among NYC baseball fans... the Mets recently signed that huge cable-TV deal, and having Strawberry around along with the their recent big FA signings should help feed the Big Apple hype machine and put fannies in the seats (for a little while).

Jabroni
02-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I don't know why, but I have the feeling he ends up playing for them this season. As ridiculous as that sounds, it just might happen.No way. Strawberry (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/strawda01.shtml) is like 43 years old and all that coke he snorted and sex he had with unclean women had to have caught up with him by now.

Shorty1983
02-11-2005, 09:44 PM
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug"-Rick James

Jabroni
02-11-2005, 09:51 PM
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug"-Rick James:)

Soxzilla
02-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I always felt bad when I saw poor Daryl being heckled by Lisa and Bart in that one Simpson's episode.:(:

fquaye149
02-12-2005, 03:54 AM
A special instructor of what?...How to do lines of coke off a whore's ass in the hotel room? Give me a ****ing break. This clown should be in jail.

By all accounts, Strawberry has cleaned up his act and now publicly denounces his past lifestyle to warn people who might foul up the way he did.

Yes he screwed up and did some ridiculously stupid and immoral things, but do people not get a second chance? If Pete Rose had been apologetic and admissive about his wrongdoings, you wouldn't forgive him?

Cocaine is a vice, but it's also an addiction, just as gambling was with Rose. You're stupid to get involved, but what's done is done. And unlike Rose he admits his mistakes and actually took steps to correct them (entering rehabilitation, becoming a born-again Christian). If he's truly cleaned up, I feel it's unfair to claim that "this clown should be in jail." I'm glad to see the Mets are giving him a chance to do something productive with his life.

SpammySosa
02-12-2005, 07:21 AM
By all accounts, Strawberry has cleaned up his act and now publicly denounces his past lifestyle to warn people who might foul up the way he did.

Yes he screwed up and did some ridiculously stupid and immoral things, but do people not get a second chance? If Pete Rose had been apologetic and admissive about his wrongdoings, you wouldn't forgive him?

Cocaine is a vice, but it's also an addiction, just as gambling was with Rose. You're stupid to get involved, but what's done is done. And unlike Rose he admits his mistakes and actually took steps to correct them (entering rehabilitation, becoming a born-again Christian). If he's truly cleaned up, I feel it's unfair to claim that "this clown should be in jail." I'm glad to see the Mets are giving him a chance to do something productive with his life.

Second chance? More like 6th 7th or 8th chance+.This isn't his first post-playing days job anyway;he previously worked with the Spankees,during which time I believe he had one(or more) of his run-ins with the law. I wouldn't be against giving him another shot if he was further removed from his troubles. As a special instructor he is certain to be working with a lot of the younger players and it would be a shame if he made an impression on them only to fall off the wagon again.

fquaye149
02-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Second chance? More like 6th 7th or 8th chance+.This isn't his first post-playing days job anyway;he previously worked with the Spankees,during which time I believe he had one(or more) of his run-ins with the law. I wouldn't be against giving him another shot if he was further removed from his troubles. As a special instructor he is certain to be working with a lot of the younger players and it would be a shame if he made an impression on them only to fall off the wagon again.

i really don't think he's had any run-ins post "conversion". correct me if I'm wrong and I'll rescind all my previous comments.

SpammySosa
02-12-2005, 08:26 AM
i really don't think he's had any run-ins post "conversion". correct me if I'm wrong and I'll rescind all my previous comments.

I guess it depends on which conversion, because if you recall, he professed to be born-again during his playing days way before a lot of his troubles began. I don't say that to be cynical either btw. I hope for his sake and his family's he has turned over a new leaf.

RedPinStripes
02-12-2005, 09:20 AM

LMAO!

He'll have a steady income now. It's a matter of time before he ends up in jail again.

RKMeibalane
02-12-2005, 11:06 AM
No way. Strawberry (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/strawda01.shtml) is like 43 years old and all that coke he snorted and sex he had with unclean women had to have caught up with him by now.

These are the Mets, however. They will do anything to take attention away from the Yankees.

flo-B-flo
02-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Yes why not? Why not give Straws another length of rope for which to hang himself. It is always hilarious to me when a guy gets caught with pot he is worked over like he's a druggie. Yet, for years baseball and other sports turn their collective heads at REAL drug use like coke and speed. Go find the movie 'North Dallas Forty' for an overview of this phenomena.

SpammySosa
02-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes why not? Why not give Straws another length of rope for which to hang himself. It is always hilarious to me when a guy gets caught with pot he is worked over like he's a druggie. Yet, for years baseball and other sports turn their collective heads at REAL drug use like coke and speed. Go find the movie 'North Dallas Forty' for an overview of this phenomena.

A great example of this is Steve Howe. I am too lazy to look up the info, but I believe he was suspended for coke 7-8 times. He would get a slap on the wrist and then be welcomed back with open arms. I remember being at a Sox-Yanks game shortly after one of his returns and he got heckled something fierce. This was about the time he made that comment about firing a fastball at any fan he hears badgering him about his drug problems. That just added more fuel to the fire.

Brian26
02-12-2005, 05:00 PM

Yes he screwed up and did some ridiculously stupid and immoral things, but do people not get a second chance?

A 2nd chance? The guy's had about 18 chances.

Brian26
02-12-2005, 05:01 PM
LMAO!

He'll have a steady income now. It's a matter of time before he ends up in jail again.

Yep.

Who's F'd up more times? Straw or Steve Howe? It's like they're having a contest.

ja1022
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Yep.

Who's F'd up more times? Straw or Steve Howe? It's like they're having a contest.

I think Howe's your leader in failed drug tests with seven, but when you throw in "the Straw's" wife beatings and tax evasion problems he looks like your leader in the Total F Up category. Doc Gooden's got to be in contention too.

akingamongstmen
02-12-2005, 06:59 PM
I always felt bad when I saw poor Daryl being heckled by Lisa and Bart in that one Simpson's episode.:(:

DAR-RYL...DAR-RYL...DAR-RYL....

34 Inch Stick
02-14-2005, 08:06 AM
The guy had the ability to be one of the true greats of this game and he pissed it away. I'll forgive him by giving him a regular job in the real world. I will not forgive him by giving him a position of privelege.

Joe Mac
02-14-2005, 12:08 PM
This isn't a second chance. It's just the Mets bringing back a member of their past, who had his best years in Flushing.

He's there for Spring Training and they will roll Darryl out for other event.

Trust me, he's not going to teach Benson to beat his wife or bring Wright to a local crack house.

It's a good move by the organization to bring back a guy theu shunned over the past decade.

Now they need to get Gooden back in the fold.