PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Roster/Invitees Questions...

DaleJRFan
02-11-2005, 01:27 PM
I was browsing through the Sox 40man roster and the non-roster invites for spring training and became curious...

Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Sean Tracey, Kris Honel as well as a few other "prospects" I am not so familiar with will be on the Spring Training Squad. Will these players be active in MLB-level compitition? How does the club handle this sort of thing in ST?? Will Fields, Anderson and Sweeney see MLB pitching? Will McCarthy, Tracey and Honel face MLB hitters? Will they play split-squad games or just take part in minor league camp only??

I am sure that KW and Ozzie are itching to see what these guys have and to see them advance/ready themselves for major league compitition, as I am myself... What are the odds of McCarthy actually making the 25man roster if he just plain rocks in Spring Training (as a #6 guy???), in the event someone in the rotation goes down in ST or stinks it up...

Thanks for any answers/explanation...

Ol' No. 2
02-11-2005, 01:38 PM
I was browsing through the Sox 40man roster and the non-roster invites for spring training and became curious...

Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Sean Tracey, Kris Honel as well as a few other "prospects" I am not so familiar with will be on the Spring Training Squad. Will these players be active in MLB-level compitition? How does the club handle this sort of thing in ST?? Will Fields, Anderson and Sweeney see MLB pitching? Will McCarthy, Tracey and Honel face MLB hitters? Will they play split-squad games or just take part in minor league camp only??

I am sure that KW and Ozzie are itching to see what these guys have and to see them advance/ready themselves for major league compitition, as I am myself... What are the odds of McCarthy actually making the 25man roster if he just plain rocks in Spring Training (as a #6 guy???), in the event someone in the rotation goes down in ST or stinks it up...

Thanks for any answers/explanation...Yes to everything, except there's almost no chance McCarthy will make the 25-man roster. Although he could position himself for a callup in the event someone gets injured. All these guys will take part in spring training games with the major league players. They'll get a good taste of facing major league competition, and they'll be trying their damnest to make an impression on Ozzie and the coaches.

Except for utility IF, the 25-man roster is pretty much set, but these guys are auditioning for possible mid-season callups or more likely, September callups and the possibility of making the roster next year.

rdivaldi
02-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah, there's no way McCarthy makes the 25 man. The kid has barely pitched at AA, much less the major league level.

But all of the prospects will see extensive time against major league pitchers and hitters. I remember the big story last year was when Sweeney ripped a double off a Colon fastball. These guys will once again have that same opportunity to impress. I for one will be taping all of the ST games to get another good look at the youngsters.

DaleJRFan
02-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah, there's no way McCarthy makes the 25 man. The kid has barely pitched at AA, much less the major league level.

But all of the prospects will see extensive time against major league pitchers and hitters. I remember the big story last year was when Sweeney ripped a double off a Colon fastball. These guys will once again have that same opportunity to impress. I for one will be taping all of the ST games to get another good look at the youngsters.

Crikey!! I gotta get my comcast DVR before ST starts...

rdivaldi
02-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Yeah, it's pretty cool how there finally going to be showing more than 2 or 3 ST games on TV. Gives you just an excellent chance to look at the youngsters. I love it when guys from A ball get called into a game in the 8th and 9th innings.

Iwritecode
02-11-2005, 03:54 PM
I love it when guys from A ball get called into a game in the 8th and 9th innings.

Then you hear Hawk and DJ say "We're not exactly sure who's playing second base right now but we'll get you some information on him as soon as we can."

I happened to find and old ST game that I taped from 2001 and this exact thing happened. It was pretty amusing. :D:

jabrch
02-11-2005, 04:11 PM

I just got off the horn with them...scheduled for Presidents Day! Hooray!

DaleJRFan
02-11-2005, 04:15 PM
I just got off the horn with them...scheduled for Presidents Day! Hooray!

Every time the comcast bill comes in the mail, my roommate bugs me.. "C'mon man, its only $10 extra a month.." I have my justification now!

:bandance: