Mostly about the Tigers, but....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1987105

Interesting breakdown on the payrolls:

Sox 75-78 mil
Det 75 mil
Minn 58 mil
Cleve 51 mil
KC 38 mil

That is the way it should be. Chicago and Detroit are the two largest cities in the division, and it is about time they started to spend like it. It is ridiculous that a division that has 2 cities with over 1 million people is considered a small market division.

Mark
02-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Also, here's Mel Antonen's pre-Spring look at the AL in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/spring/2005-02-10-al-spring-previews_x.htm

SSN721
02-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Seems like a relatively fair review. I dont mind doing the research, but didnt he pick the Sox to win the division if not last year, then the couple years before? He seemed to focus quite a bit more on Detroit and Minny, but cant really complain, Minny is the defending champ, Detroit made a couple splashy signings. As stated before, under the radar is okay with me.

HebrewHammer
02-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm just surprised he didn't pick Boston to win the Central.

SSN721
02-11-2005, 01:56 PM

Red Storm Rising. Thought they were winning the west as well, AL and NL.

NonetheLoaiza
02-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Word on the street is that they aren't even going to bother to play the season because Boston is going to win everything...

buehrle4cy05
02-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Word on the street is that they aren't even going to bother to play the season because Boston is going to win everything...

Word in the Cubune and on Chicago (Cubs) Sports live on CLTV is that the Cubs have/are:

Going to win a run down NL Central, and then the World Series
Have the best fan convention in Chicago
Vastly improved their team by trading Sammy Sosa
The best GM in baseball (Jim Hendry)

FoulTerritory
02-11-2005, 07:26 PM
That is the way it should be. Chicago and Detroit are the two largest cities in the division, and it is about time they started to spend like it. It is ridiculous that a division that has 2 cities with over 1 million people is considered a small market division.

Random market size thoughts/info

This might have changed, since it wasn't the most current edition, but I had a trivial pursuit question that asked, "What is the only city in American History to have once had 1 million people, but has since dropped below that threshold in population?"

The answer was Detroit.

Further, I think that Minneapolis/St. Paul combined are easily the second largest market in the division.

NSSoxFan
02-11-2005, 07:43 PM

This might have changed, since it wasn't the most current edition, but I had a trivial pursuit question that asked, "What is the only city in American History to have once had 1 million people, but has since dropped below that threshold in population?"

The answer was Detroit.

Further, I think that Minneapolis/St. Paul combined are easily the second largest market in the division.

No, Detorit is a bigger market then Minneapolis/St. Paul. Detroit has a population of about 950,000 as of a few years ago. While Minneapolis/St. Paul have a combined population of a bit below that.

fusillirob1983
02-11-2005, 07:43 PM
There are less people in Detroit than there used to be, but doesn't Detroit have a pretty large suburban area?

FoulTerritory
02-11-2005, 07:57 PM
No, Detorit is a bigger market then Minneapolis/St. Paul. Detroit has a population of about 950,000 as of a few years ago. While Minneapolis/St. Paul have a combined population of a bit below that.

Just looked it up. Minneapolis/St. Paul have a combined population of aproximately 3 million people per the 2000 census:

http://www.censusscope.org/us/m5120/chart_popl.html

MisterB
02-11-2005, 07:57 PM

The answer was Detroit.

It's not the population of the city itself, but the metropolitan area. Sports teams don't draw exclusively from within the limits of their nominal hometown.

From the 2000 census:

Chicago Metro: 9.16M (2 teams)
Detroit Metro: 5.46M
Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro: 2.97M
Cleveland Metro: 2.95M
Kansas City Metro: 1.77M

FoulTerritory
02-11-2005, 08:01 PM
It's not the population of the city itself, but the metropolitan area. Sports teams don't draw exclusively from within the limits of their nominal hometown.

From the 2000 census:

Chicago Metro: 9.16M (2 teams)
Detroit Metro: 5.46M
Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro: 2.97M
Cleveland Metro: 2.95M
Kansas City Metro: 1.77M

I agree completely. But wow, I had no idea that Detroit had so much suburban population, considering the forementioned decrease of the within city population. Thanks for the stat.

Daver
02-11-2005, 08:11 PM
I agree completely. But wow, I had no idea that Detroit had so much suburban population, considering the forementioned decrease of the within city population. Thanks for the stat.

Would you live in Detroit if you didn't have to?

BridgePortNative
02-11-2005, 08:23 PM
In the analysis of all the AL teams, anybody notice that out Sox have the shortest list of What's Not. The awesome thing is, is our only not is with The Hurt's injury. Geez we dont even need him this year meaning.......... WE HAVE NO FLAWS OR MAJOR QUESTION MARKS!!!!!!!! :D: :bandance:

BridgePortNative
02-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I am actually a fan of Sports Talk on CLTV. Lou Cannelis usually hosts Monday through Thursday with Mike Bloomberg. They are both Sox fans, but because of the obvious situation, have to play both sides. I obviously don't think they are as passionate about the Sox as most of us, but they do give the Sox their due IMO.

Which episode were you watching where all these things were said?

BTW, fix your sig.

My favorite person is Calvin from Hyde Park:cool:

Jabroni
02-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Would you live in Detroit if you didn't have to?Haha, good point. Detroit has the highest percentage of violent crimes committed in the U.S. :o:

NSSoxFan
02-11-2005, 08:31 PM
My favorite person is Calvin from Hyde Park:cool:

Mine is also, he is actually pretty clever and smart.

BridgePortNative
02-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Mine is also, he is actually pretty clever and smart.
and a SOX fan :D:

dickallen15
02-11-2005, 10:03 PM

When the White Sox made the Garcia trade last year, Gammons predicted the White Sox would win the World Series.

Sufferin
02-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Haha, good point. Detroit has the highest percentage of violent crimes committed in the U.S. :o:

I go to Detroit quite a lot on business, and I call it the donut city. Actually I should say I go to the Detroit suburbs alot for business In five years I've only been to appointments in the city twice.There's nothing in the actual city that I've seen but old industrial districts and slums. It's basically the west side of Chicago.

The suburbs are huge there, and really many of them are quite nice. All the major industry (big 3 et al) are located in places like Auburn Hills and Pontiac.

I call it the donut city because there's a vibrant community surrounding a big hole called the city of Detroit. Truly a dreadful place. Remember too , that Windosr, CAN. is just a tunnel or bridge away. I'm sure the Tigers could draw many people to games from Windsor if they had success again.
Really, the more I think about it, Detroit probably has a bigger fan base than the Sox, even just splitting the baseball fans here in half.