PDA

View Full Version : Ringolsby: Chicago's South Side sees a makeover

likeawarlord
02-11-2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_3540100,00.html

mdep524
02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Can you imagine how different this team would look if KW did get this so-called "Plan A"?

Kendall C
Vizquel SS
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Rowand CF
Gload 1B
RF?
Uribe 2B
Crede 3B

Johnson
Buehrle
Garcia
Vazquez
Contreras

I imagine Lee might have to be traded (in addition to Garland, Konerko and whoever else goes to get Vazquez, Johnson and Kendall) just for salary purposes, because this would be a really expensive team. You could definitely argue the the lineup we have now is as good (or better) than this one, but just imagine that pitching staff... :drool:

soxtalker
02-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Grade of B seems about right; he seems to try to avoid grade inflation. I looked at one of his other columns in which he graded the AL west. The only team between these two divisions that got an A was Seattle. We don't hear much around here about them, but they made some major changes also.

SoxxoS
02-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I am completely shocked that a columnist on the West Coast named Tracy Ringolsby, (yes he is wearing a cowboy hat in his picture) most accurately portrayed the offseason of the A.L. central teams.

Gave us the best grade of the bunch, a "B" (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_3540100,00.html)

They did revamp the offense, giving up left fielder Carlos Lee's suspect defense but run-producing offense to add leadoff-hitting, base- stealing center fielder Scott Podsednik and the strong arm of right-handed setup reliever Luis Vizcaino.

They also signed Orlando Hernandez to fill out the rotation, added Dustin Hermanson for bullpen depth and, in what might be the biggest impact move of all, signed Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, a smooth-fielding, run-producing base stealer who will slip nicely into the No. 2 slot in the lineup.

SoxxoS
02-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Plus, on the poll of the right side, 57% of Coloradins pick us to win the Central. I have always like those people.

spawn
02-11-2005, 03:22 PM
This article was posted in this thread:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45237

longshot7
02-11-2005, 03:25 PM
These know nothing columnists!!! How dare he!!!

SoxxoS
02-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Sorry mods, didn't see "a little respect out west." my bad.

Too many members on this site nowadays, everything is on the board as soon as it's listed! :D:

chaz171
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Long Time Cubune Reporter Bernie Lincicome is out there now writing for the Rocky Mountain News..... Coincidence?

I thought it would have been Bernie..... but Garth Brooks gives our team some propers.......

Max Power
02-11-2005, 07:07 PM
First, it was the Cleveland Indians. One of the more hapless franchises in baseball history, they put a stranglehold on the American League Central, winning the division title in the first five years of three-division play and six of the first seven.

Obviously the Sox 'won' the Central in its' first year ('94).

cornball
02-11-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_3540100,00.html

Nice article, bringing KW back to reality.

fusillirob1983
02-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Seems like most people that took the poll voted for the Sox. Could it have been mainly WSI people that read the article?

JB98
02-11-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm just glad he referred to Cleveland's signing of Millwood as a "one-year gamble." That's an accurate way of describing it. A lot East Coast media are acting as if the Tribe signed a messiah, when in reality they got a veteran coming off an injury-plagued, subpar year. Unless Leo Mazzone came with Millwood as part of the package, I don't think that signing pushes the Tribe past the Sox, let alone Minnesota.

02-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Obviously the Sox 'won' the Central in its' first year ('94).

Misleading assumption.....as great of a team as they had...they were only 1 game up on Cleveland when the strike happened...odds are they would have widen that down the stretch, but they did not have a commanding lead at the point of the strike

jake27
02-12-2005, 12:28 PM
that "plan A" would have been interesting to watch. im quite happy this this "plan b" tho

Max Power
02-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Misleading assumption.....as great of a team as they had...they were only 1 game up on Cleveland when the strike happened...odds are they would have widen that down the stretch, but they did not have a commanding lead at the point of the strike

Yeah, it would have been a fun stretch run. But since the Sox were in first place at the [premature] end of the season, they're technically the division winners. The official site use to have 1994 on the list of division championship years, but I couldn't find that list just now. Didn't you buy your 1994 Division Champs shirt?

02-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it would have been a fun stretch run. But since the Sox were in first place at the [premature] end of the season, they're technically the division winners. The official site use to have 1994 on the list of division championship years, but I couldn't find that list just now. Didn't you buy your 1994 Division Champs shirt?

That year was just our luck...the Yankees actually had the best record in the AL that year, they were having a killer year.