PDA

View Full Version : I like this.

South Side
02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
This article is an honest look at our team and I like the prediction. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6841776/

JUribe1989
02-10-2005, 11:06 PM
YES!! Someone finally picked us in first place, hell must have frozen over. Next, the Cubs will win the World Series.

spawn
02-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I hope tht prediction comes true.

Ol' No. 2
02-10-2005, 11:13 PM
This article is an honest look at our team and I like the prediction. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6841776/:bostonIs there still time to jump on the bandwagon?

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 11:21 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/columnists/neyer_rob_c.jpg
"First place? Yeah right. You guys don't even have a right fielder!"

Ol' No. 2
02-10-2005, 11:28 PM
How about this?
...possibly good enough to get GM Kenny Williams an executive of the year award if all goes well.There are people here would have a serious medical issue if that happened.

http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images2/crumb_head_explode.jpg

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Dye had a .265-23-80 season in Oakland, so those numbers could increase with the move to U.S. Cellular, and Everett contributed little between nagging injuries after being acquired in a mid-season deal. Both are only 31, so it’s not as if they’re on the downside yet.Ummm, Jermaine Dye (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5610) is 31 but Carl Everett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5073) is 33. That's a pretty bad mistake in the article there.

SOXintheBURGH
02-10-2005, 11:53 PM
:chickenlittle

Wow. This guy gets it right. Acknowledges the fact that Ordonez and Frank both missed half the season and we still had 83 wins, and included everyone in the acquistions list! Prediction of 1st with 90 wins... someone must have had better researchers than Rob Neyer.

jvoboogie
02-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Well I don't know if he got it right, but to hear someone at least make a somewhat rational assesment of this team is shocking . We've got our share of question marks, but really this team reminds me of the 02 Angels, and man, they were fun to watch. I just hope everyone stays healthy, if that happens all the question marks become exclamation points and we're on our way towards a hell of a summer

T-Bone
02-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Wow, eerie. In a thread on another sports forum I almost made the exact same predictions except for:

Cardinals win NL Central

Marlins win Wild Card

Clembasbal
02-11-2005, 11:43 AM
AS much as I like their White Sox prediction, I have to take it half-heartedly. They also Predicted the Cubs to win their division with 93 wins to the Sox 90. Now As long as the Sox get in, I don't care if they win 85 or 105. But the Cubs...winning their division? They haven't done anything besides get rid of their two power guys Sosa and Alou.

Jabroni
02-11-2005, 11:48 AM
AS much as I like their White Sox prediction, I have to take it half-heartedly. They also Predicted the Cubs to win their division with 93 wins to the Sox 90. Now As long as the Sox get in, I don't care if they win 85 or 105. But the Cubs...winning their division? They haven't done anything besides get rid of their two power guys Sosa and Alou.And Clement, Farnsworth, and Mercker are gone as well. Their already weak bullpen is even weaker now and going from Clement to Rusch as their 5th starter didn't exactly make their rotation stronger either.

mweflen
02-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Here are demarco's predictions for the division races:

White Sox 90-72
Yankees 100-62
Red Sox 93-69
Angels 94-68

Does anyone see us beating the Angels in the ALDS? I know it's possible, but Vlad the Impaler scares the bejeezus out of me.

Cubs 93-69
Giants 92-70
Braves 89-73
Cards 89-73

This is where it falls apart. Anyone who sees the Cubs overtaking a Cards team that wins 89 games (in unbalanced division play with the Cubs) is smoking some seriously wacky tobackey.

Could the oft-joked about All-Chicago Series happen this year? Would any of us survive the resulting civil implosion, riots and looting?

CubKilla
02-11-2005, 12:19 PM
AS much as I like their White Sox prediction, I have to take it half-heartedly. They also Predicted the Cubs to win their division with 93 wins to the Sox 90. Now As long as the Sox get in, I don't care if they win 85 or 105. But the Cubs...winning their division? They haven't done anything besides get rid of their two power guys Sosa and Alou.

Well, they DID predict the White Sox to win their division so they MUST know what they're talking about :rolleyes: .

Don't let standing back and taking a rational look at the '05 White Sox get in your way with some on this board :D: .

Clembasbal
02-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Well, they DID predict the White Sox to win their division so they MUST know what they're talking about :rolleyes: .

Don't let standing back and taking a rational look at the '05 White Sox get in your way with some on this board :D: .

I am not saying that I don't think that the Sox will not win their division, becuase I think they will. I just don't think that the Cubs will or that anybody really knows what is going to happen this year. There seems to be more paridy than ever, which is what I have hoped for.

Soxzilla
02-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Mweflen, just fyi, we wouldn't play the Angels in the American League Division Series if those predictions came to fruitition. We would have to play the Yankees.

So basically...we would be screwed. :bandance:

longshot7
02-11-2005, 12:56 PM

White Sox 90-72
Yankees 100-62
Red Sox 93-69
Angels 94-68

Does anyone see us beating the Angels in the ALDS? I know it's possible, but Vlad the Impaler scares the bejeezus out of me.

It's possible. The playoffs is all about pitching and I think our rotation holds up better in a short series - but that assuming Washburn doesn't turn around his recent slide, and Lackey & Byrd being .500 pitchers.

santo=dorf
02-11-2005, 01:37 PM
It's possible.

No it's not possible because the Wild Card can't play the team with the most wins if they are in the same division :rolleyes:

With those predicted records, we would play the Yankees in the first round.

mweflen
02-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh yes. the wild card rule. See, we haven't been in the playoffs for so long, i don't even remember things like that... :redneck

I actually think we have a better chance of beating the Yankees in a short series than the Angels. Their pitching is highly suspect, and offense usually dips in the playoffs. FWIW.

veeter
02-11-2005, 04:01 PM
This is history. This guy went where no idiot writer has gone before. I'm stunned and amazed. Kudos to him.

Whitesox029
02-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Ummm, Jermaine Dye (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5610) is 31 but Carl Everett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5073) is 33. That's a pretty bad mistake in the article there.
Why did I think Everett was like 36 or 37?

Jabroni
02-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Why did I think Everett was like 36 or 37?Probably because this will be his 13th season in the MLB.

Ol' No. 2
02-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Interesting article in Diamond Mind Baseball. The guy who wrote the MSNBC article (Tony DeMarco) has consistently had one of the best track records in predicting final standings. Simulations using Diamond Mind and the Las Vegas over-under line were also very high.

Linky (http://www.diamond-mind.com/articles/tmpred04.htm)

PAPChiSox729
02-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Mweflen, just fyi, we wouldn't play the Angels in the American League Division Series if those predictions came to fruitition. We would have to play the Yankees.

So basically...we would be screwed. :bandance:

I think that if this team really gels together, we can beat the Yankees. RJ is getting older and his knee is bothering him. Pavano and Wright are both switching from the NL. Mussina and Brown both had mediocre ERA's last year.Their offense is for real but still, the Yankees are not invincible.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-14-2005, 08:30 PM

White Sox 90-72
Yankees 100-62
Red Sox 93-69
Angels 94-68

Cubs 93-69
Giants 92-70
Braves 89-73
Cards 89-73

This is where it falls apart. Anyone who sees the Cubs overtaking a Cards team that wins 89 games (in unbalanced division play with the Cubs) is smoking some seriously wacky tobackey.

Could the oft-joked about All-Chicago Series happen this year? Would any of us survive the resulting civil implosion, riots and looting?
The Sox can beat the Angels. This team will go as far as the pitching carries them. In a short series, the opposition is potentially looking at Buerhle, Garcia, El Duque and either Contreras or Garland, and a deep pen to boot. Pitching, defense, speed and clutch hitting, put it together and any team will win. The Sox have the foundation for all facets of the game to be much better than average. They first have to do it for 162 games. Grind it out.

I want Mags back
02-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Probably because this will be his 13th season in the MLB.

He's got many years left in the tank

Anyway, hes got the Cubs w/ 93 wins, can we trust this source