PDA

View Full Version : Interview with the Mesa Manager

Jerry_Manuel
10-24-2001, 05:09 PM
Mesa Solar Sox manager Chris Cron did an interview with CS.com about the Cubs and White Sox prospects participating in Major League Baseball's Arizona Fall League. I'll just post the Sox portions of the article:

CS.com: And on the flip side, the White Sox best prospect Joe Borchard, or at least one of their top ones, is off to a slow start hitting but by most accounts heís seems like heís got what it takes.

Cron: Oh, heís going to be a heckuva player. You know, the one thing about these players is that this league is not going to break you. If you donít do well in this league, itís not going to really break you but it certainly can make you. Because if you do some things in this league that arenít really positive, you may struggle. You may not hit the way youíre capable of hitting. You may be tired. I mean, Joe Borchard, he had 500 at-bats in the regular season. Thatís a good season. He came down here and heís working his tail off and heís hitting .130, or whatever heís hitting. Itís not real good but thatís not going to break Joe Borchard.

If Joe Borchard ended up hitting .330 that may make Joe Borchard a quicker climb. Itís definitely not going to hurt him at all. So thatís what youíve got to keep saying. These kids really care and they really want to do good and itís really nice to see a guy like Joe Borchard when he is struggling and he comes in early and he wants to work and he wants to get better. Itís not just a two-week vacation out here in beautiful Arizona.

CS.com: At this point youíve been using a couple of the White Sox pitchers a bit. Matt Guerrier and Kyle Kane have been putting up good numbers.

Cron: They are putting outstanding numbers up. Right there are two guys who are opening up eyes for themselves. When youíre a Chicago White Sox pitcher, especially a young pitcher, there really isnít a whole lot of opportunity there as there may be in other organizations. So they do something good and positive in this Arizona Fall League, the Chicago Cubs may see them, or the Minnesota Twins, and say thereís no room with the White Sox, letís try to get him. We may be able to get him for nothing, and he sure as heck can pitch for us if he canít pitch for the rich prospects the White Sox have. Thatís another way these guys can open up eyes.

CS.com: Howís Tim Hummel been doing down there?

Cron: Tim Hummelís been doing a great job. Heís not doing quite as well as he was earlier in the year, I think heís hitting around .275 but he was over .300 for the first part of the year and heís in that situation like Bobby Hill. Heís getting a chance to play a lot because there arenít as many players playing his positions so itís a big plus for him. He does the same thing. When heís in there he plays his tail off.

Vsahajpal
10-24-2001, 05:49 PM
yep, Hummel is a legit prospect. He and Jackson really stood out in my mind along with Marlins pitcher Hensel Izquierdo. Should be ready by late 2002, I surmise. And could allow the Sox to trade Valentin and Durham. Think Jeff Kent. I don't know if he'll hit 30 bombs from the get go, but the potential is there. Getting out of HoHoKam and Hoover Met, he'll be salivating.

Jerry_Manuel
10-24-2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
yep, Hummel is a legit prospect. Should be ready by late 2002, I surmise. And could allow the Sox to trade Valentin and Durham.

Who would play SS if Hummel takes over 2nd?

Vsahajpal
10-24-2001, 06:17 PM
When youíre a Chicago White Sox pitcher, especially a young pitcher, there really isnít a whole lot of opportunity there as there may be in other organizations. So they do something good and positive in this Arizona Fall League, the Chicago Cubs may see them, or the Minnesota Twins, and say thereís no room with the White Sox, letís try to get him. We may be able to get him for nothing

I agree, we'll take Matty.

:KW

yes, tell me about this David Helton. Is that Todd's brother?

Vsahajpal
10-24-2001, 06:18 PM
I'm thinking Clayton. I don't see them getting rid of Royce, mostly because of his defense, and also because of the 2nd half resurgence.

Jerry_Manuel
10-24-2001, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I'm thinking Clayton. I don't see them getting rid of Royce, mostly because of his defense, and also because of the 2nd half resurgence.

I'm going to choose my words carefully here so I don't start the Royce/Jose deabte again. You say Hummel will be ready by late 2002, and Durham is a free agent after 2002. Clayton is also a free agent after 2002. Valentin on the other hand is not. You don't think Williams will resign Clayton do you?

Randar68
10-24-2001, 06:31 PM
I'm going to choose my words carefully here so I don't start the Royce/Jose deabte again. You say Hummel will be ready by late 2002, and Durham is a free agent after 2002. Clayton is also a free agent after 2002. Valentin on the other hand is not. You don't think Williams will resign Clayton do you?

If Durham is performing like he did this year, I hope the Sox trade him at the deadline for a true leadoff hitter-type or a catcher...

Adios Ray!

Valentine has an additional year on his contract at about the same cost...tough call, he's such a clubhouse leader!

Vsahajpal
10-24-2001, 06:39 PM
For argument's sake, lets say Clayton carries his 2001 2nd half into next season, and Hummel tears up the International League, I believe that makes Valentin and Durham expendable. Where would Valentin play if such a situation were to occur? Would they shell out 5-7 million for both of those potential lame duck MI's? I highly doubt it. The real question is, who's going to bat leadoff? Hopefully not Roger Cedeno, possibly Damon? Which again, would not leave enough cash to sign Valentin, Durham. Pure speculation.

Should've signed Hill.

duke of dorwood
10-24-2001, 09:22 PM
:KW

Did I spell Helton right?