PDA

View Full Version : 1977 south side hitmen logo

geodoig
02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
does anyone know where i can find a clean, fairly high-resolution image of the 1977 south side hitmen logo featuring an old gangster carrying a batbag? please let me know. thanks!

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Damn, I couldn't find one. Here's the best site I found for Sox logos but they don't have the South Side Hitmen logo...

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?l_id=4&t_id=55

Lip Man 1
02-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Are you talking about the 'official' team logo or the logo they used on the T-shirts that were printed around midway through the season? (i.e. the ganster holding a tommy gun case that instead held bats...)

Lip

geodoig
02-10-2005, 07:03 PM
i'm talking about the "UNofficial" one featuring the gangster with the tommy gun case

geodoig
02-10-2005, 07:07 PM
thanks for the site reference! i can make use of some of those logos, too. much appreciated.

Damn, I couldn't find one. Here's the best site I found for Sox logos but they don't have the South Side Hitmen logo...

chaz171
02-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Nowhere I can find.....

StillMissOzzie
02-11-2005, 12:51 AM
i'm talking about the "UNofficial" one featuring the gangster with the tommy gun case

IIRC, the logo you're speaking of was the work of one of the Chicago newspapers, and I think it was the Chicago Today. Maybe you can get a copy or a scan from a library.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: Further research indicates that the Chicago Today went belly-up before 1977, so that leaves the Tribune, Sun-Times and the Daily News as the remaining local newpapers back then. I'd try the Daily News first, then the Sun-Times, then the Tribune.

Medford Bobby
02-11-2005, 02:11 AM
:smile: The Chicago Daily News.............Boy I remember reading the Daily News all summer of 1977. They called the Cups "The Little Blue Machine"...............:redneck

Boy, I had forgotten about where that had originated:?:

geodoig
02-11-2005, 12:16 PM
i'll give that a whirl. thanks for the info!

IIRC, the logo you're speaking of was the work of one of the Chicago newspapers, and I think it was the Chicago Today. Maybe you can get a copy or a scan from a library.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: Further research indicates that the Chicago Today went belly-up before 1977, so that leaves the Tribune, Sun-Times and the Daily News as the remaining local newpapers back then. I'd try the Daily News first, then the Sun-Times, then the Tribune.

jackbrohamer
02-11-2005, 12:46 PM
:smile: The Chicago Daily News.............Boy I remember reading the Daily News all summer of 1977. They called the Cups "The Little Blue Machine"...............:redneck

Boy, I had forgotten about where that had originated:?:

IIRC Phil Hersh (now with the Cubune) came up with the South Side Hitmen phrase for the Daily News.

ode to veeck
02-11-2005, 11:10 PM
I always remembered it as the "Little Blue Spleens"

ode to veeck
02-11-2005, 11:13 PM
The most useful Sox momento I have is the Sox helmut from '77 helmut day with old Sox logo: it's my summer ppol sun hat for the hot tub for the after 6 sets of tennis soak & a couple of beers

nixsox
02-11-2005, 11:37 PM
There is a store on Clark and Roscoe on the NW corner that has that identical logo. It's a gangster carrying a violin case smoking a cigar with baseball bats in the crook of his arm. They have the logo silk screened on a black t shirt. I wore it to some games last year and everybody was asking where I got it. They also have other Sox logos that you can have made onto t-shirts or even sweatshirts. Very cool place I just can't think of the name. It's 2 blocks from the urinal.

geodoig
02-12-2005, 02:32 AM
is the place called "vintage vantage" or "strange cargo"? please let me know. [all i'm looking for is one of those shirts. i figured i'd have to make it myself!] thanks!

Gammons Peter
02-12-2005, 11:39 AM
I've been looking for one of these shirts for years, I think I even posted on this subject last year.

nixsox
02-12-2005, 04:58 PM
That's it! Strange Cargo right on the NW corner of Roscoe and Clark. They make the shirt right there and its usually ready in less than a half hour.:redneck

markopat
02-12-2005, 06:23 PM

If anyone even has a rough copy they can fax or e-mail me, I can re-draw it in Illustrator...Then everyone can have a copy of it!

Let me know!

:bandance:

geodoig
02-12-2005, 06:24 PM
excellent! thanks again for the info.

That's it! Strange Cargo right on the NW corner of Roscoe and Clark. They make the shirt right there and its usually ready in less than a half hour.:redneck

HomeFish
02-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Somebody could probably make a few bucks selling that outside of the Cell after games. I and several Sox fans I know are prone to making impulse clothing purchases at such times, especially after wins.

Gammons Peter
02-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Do they have a website??

geodoig
02-15-2005, 09:06 PM
i do NOT believe that strange cargo has a website nor do they accept orders to be shipped. they'll make the shirt for you while you wait ($17). the store is located at 3448 n. clark. hope this info helps!

Do they have a website??

Gremlin3
02-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the link. It was time for some new wallpapers for my phone.

Gammons Peter
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Just found this on ebay

DC Sox Fan
02-22-2005, 01:36 PM
And you just made a very lucky person out of whover is selling that. Watch the WSIArmy set a record for this one :D:

Cool looking logo, BTW. First time I've ever seen it as I was still in the womb for the '77 season...

C-Dawg
02-22-2005, 09:19 PM
So I wonder if that artwork on the Ebay shirt can be saved and used to print up new ones? The one on Ebay is a "Large" and most everyone I know needs an XL it seems...

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-22-2005, 10:26 PM
There were a whole bunch of SS Hitmen shirts at soxfest. Too bad i didnt get any....:(:

Unregistered
02-23-2005, 01:39 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2525

geodoig
02-23-2005, 10:52 AM
... for posting the logo. much appreciated!

Church Turtle
02-23-2005, 05:15 PM
I had a buddy in college that used to rave about this logo. This is the first time I've ever seen it. Very cool! :cool:

Corlose 15
02-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Very nice logo. I put up $10 to get that on a shirt.

NonetheLoaiza
02-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I think that I'm going to have to print up a shirt or two with that logo. Very nice.

tadscout
02-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Did the Go-Go Sox ever have any type of logo like this?

Gammons Peter
02-23-2005, 11:46 PM
the go go Sox had the winged sock

mack10zie
02-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Don't know if anyone would be interested, but a good website for this sort of thing if you are going to buy a bunch of them is www.customink.com (http://www.customink.com/)

I made some t-shirts on the website for a dodgeball team that I'm on and they turned out to be pretty sweet. If we could get enough people who wanted one we could probably all get them for fairly cheap. Maybe could put a WSI thing on the front or something. Sounds like it would be something a lot of people here would be interested in. I just got a quote for the shirt I designed a while back and for 30 it would only be under ten bucks each plus a couple of bucks shipping. Just throwin it out there. Good site, everyone on my team was very happy with the results.

Actually, just went onto the site and threw the logo on a shirt to see how it looked, if you want to check it out go to http://www.customink.com and then hit "retreive your design" and for the e-mail type in sox@hotmail.com and then you can play around with it if you want.