PDA

View Full Version : Jason Giambi press conference coming up on ESPNEWS

ChiSoxRowand
02-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Not sure exactly what time. I'll post it when I find out. I think it's in a couple of minutes.

ChiSoxRowand
02-10-2005, 03:25 PM
They are showing it right now.

Mickster
02-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Updates, please....

ChiSoxRowand
02-10-2005, 03:31 PM
All he is doing is apoligizing, thats it. He says he can't get into everything because of the legal issues.

Jerko
02-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Media whore. Spill the beans or **** already Giambi.

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 03:33 PM
This is lame. All Giambi is saying is, "I can't get into specifics." He won't even admit he took steroids. All he's saying is that he told the truth to the grand jury. Nothing new here.

I wonder if Giambi's screwed up pituitary gland is from all the roids he took.

Ol' No. 2
02-10-2005, 03:36 PM
This is lame. All Giambi is saying is, "I can't get into specifics." He won't even admit he took steroids. All he's saying is that he told the truth to the grand jury. Nothing new here...So he goes on the radio to say he can't say anything? ***??? How lame is that? Just stay home and ****!

RKMeibalane
02-10-2005, 03:37 PM
I've had it with these clowns. They all took steroids. They know it. I know it. The rest of the country knows it. Why don't they just admit it and resolve the situation?

Bud Selig, get the HELL OUT!

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I've had it with these clowns. They all took steroids. They know it. I know it. The rest of the country knows it. Why don't they just admit it and resolve the situation?http://www.goldpanners.com/Pressbox/Players/g/g/giambi-jason_FADE_01.gifhttp://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/aug01/oak/frontjason.jpg
"DUUURRR, ME NO TOOK DA ROIDS!!!"

ja1022
02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
All he is doing is apoligizing, thats it. He says he can't get into everything because of the legal issues.

If he's not admitting to anything, what is he apologizing for?

BigDon77
02-10-2005, 03:50 PM
All he is doing is trying to get back in good with the Yankees, but he didn't say anything. All of these guys should just come out and get it in the open. Why is the media attention off of Bonds and Sheffield. Funny how Bonds is no where in site.

Ol' No. 2
02-10-2005, 03:56 PM
http://www.goldpanners.com/Pressbox/Players/g/g/giambi-jason_FADE_01.gifhttp://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/aug01/oak/frontjason.jpg
"DUUURRR, ME NO TOOK DA ROIDS!!!"You forgot this guy.
http://www.gottawiz.com/images/Comics/Marvel/Incredible_Hulk/hulk.jpg

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 04:03 PM
You forgot this guy.
http://www.gottawiz.com/images/Comics/Marvel/Incredible_Hulk/hulk.jpgGIAMBI SMASH!!!

jackbrohamer
02-10-2005, 04:11 PM
If he's not admitting to anything, what is he apologizing for?

Getting caught?

BigFrankRetard
02-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Media whore. Spill the beans or **** already Giambi.

It's my understanding that an admission of steroid use could result in his current contract being terminated. On the other hand, he has immunity from whatever he told the grand jury.

That said, I agree that his "apology" was a waste of everyone's time.

jackbrohamer
02-10-2005, 04:25 PM
What a joke. Torre, Cashman and his agent Arn Tellem showing "support" publicly for Giambi, while Giambi acts like he's some kind of a victim. The only specifics Giambi talked about was how Canseco is "delusional." Unbelievable.

HebrewHammer
02-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Anyone else think(hope) that this scandal will cost Selig his job? This is long past embarassing.

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
What a joke. Torre, Cashman and his agent Arn Tellem showing "support" publicly for Giambi, while Giambi acts like he's some kind of a victim. The only specifics Giambi talked about was how Canseco is "delusional." Unbelievable.Steinbrenner was probably lurking in the back just hoping that Giambi would admit to taking steroids so he could void his disgusting albatross of a contract. :tongue:

So Giambi said that Canseco was "delusional" about his accusations of players taking steroids when Giambi himself took them? What a joke.

SABRSox
02-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Is it just me, or does saying "No Comment" make the situation much worse than by saying absolutely nothing at all? There was absolutely no point to this press conference, and if he was trying to deflect some of the criticism he expects at ST, well, I imagine this will backfire 100%.

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Is it just me, or does saying "No Comment" make the situation much worse than by saying absolutely nothing at all? There was absolutely no point to this press conference, and if he was trying to deflect some of the criticism he expects at ST, well, I imagine this will backfire 100%.Here's why Giambi said "no comment"...It's my understanding that an admission of steroid use could result in his current contract being terminated. On the other hand, he has immunity from whatever he told the grand jury.

That said, I agree that his "apology" was a waste of everyone's time.

ja1022
02-10-2005, 07:01 PM
This headline sums it up nicely......

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-giambi-steroids&prov=ap&type=lgns

TornLabrum
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
This whole thing just goes to show that the more things change the more they stay the same. In the first two decades of the 20th century the owners looked the other way until the breaking of the Black Sox scandal by a grand jury blew the lid off all of the game fixing that the gamblers and players were involved in.

Now almost 100 years later the owners looked the other way while the players shot themselves up with steroids. It once again took a grand jury investigation to break the scandal that the players and their personal trainers were involved in the widespread use of steroids.

Just as the National Commission was a weak committee set up by the owners to ineffectually rule the game, they've emasculated the Commissioner's Office tot he same point, and we fans are reaping the same "benefits" as our forebears did.

Daver
02-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Anyone else think(hope) that this scandal will cost Selig his job? This is long past embarassing.

Who is going to fire him?

He has built his office into the only power in MLB, he long ago did away with any office that might be able to stand his path, that of the league president's.
He has managed to make the commisioners office the only decision making venue to turn to.

Reason number 47658 on why baseball needs an autonomous commisioner.

LongLiveFisk
02-10-2005, 09:01 PM
I've never seen a public apology made without any acknowledgment of what exactly the apology is for (even though we can safely assume). Very strange...guess there's a first time for everything.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Every commissioner going all the way back to Landis has been exclusively chosen by and exclusively compensated by the owners of Major League Baseball. They work under contract, a concept that quite obviously escaped Faye Vincent who was bought out and shown the door when he finally crossed enough owners (notably the Cubune, BTW) to get his ass fired.

Selig is already attempting to lay the ground work for deflecting blame by repeating the lie over and over again to anybody who will listen that it was the players union that prevented him from implementing steroid testing.

This of course is bull****. Selig and his fellow owners had their own agenda in every aspect of the last two CBA negotiations (1994-96 and 2002) and they chose the maximum payout on revenue and profits over the game's integrity at every turn. Once the 1996 CBA was finally agreed to, the cheats in baseball had a wink and nudge understanding that they were free to do as they wanted with no fear of reprisal.

Once the cheating mediocrities started catching up with the stars, it was inevitable that some narcissistic ******* like Barry Bonds would push it right over the top. 100 years of baseball's history and legendary feats flushed right down the toilet because Barry's ego was too big and Selig's greed too large.

Now that the integrity of the entire sport has been placed in question, the owners will do what is most expedient to make things appear right again. That's why Selig is already a gone goose. His ouster is the most obvious way for MLB owners to demonstrate how serious they are about fixing the problem of integrity in their sport.

The parallels to the Black Sox scandal are eerie. The sheer size and utterly voracious appetite of the 21st century's sports media will make it much much worse.

Ol' No. 2
02-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Every commissioner going all the way back to Landis has been exclusively chosen by and exclusively compensated by the owners of Major League Baseball. They work under contract, a concept that quite obviously escaped Faye Vincent who was bought out and shown the door when he finally crossed enough owners (notably the Cubune, BTW) to get his ass fired.

Selig is already attempting to lay the ground work for deflecting blame by repeating the lie over and over again to anybody who will listen that it was the players union that prevented him from implementing steroid testing.

This of course is bull****. Selig and his fellow owners had their own agenda in every aspect of the last two CBA negotiations (1994-96 and 2002) and they chose the maximum payout on revenue and profits over the game's integrity at every turn. Once the 1996 CBA was finally agreed to, the cheats in baseball had a wink and nudge understanding that they were free to do as they wanted with no fear of reprisal.

Once the cheating mediocrities started catching up with the stars, it was inevitable that some narcissistic ******* like Barry Bonds would push it right over the top. 100 years of baseball's history and legendary feats flushed right down the toilet because Barry's ego was too big and Selig's greed too large.

Now that the integrity of the entire sport has been placed in question, the owners will do what is most expedient to make things appear right again. That's why Selig is already a gone goose. His ouster is the most obvious way for MLB owners to demonstrate how serious they are about fixing the problem of integrity in their sport.

The parallels to the Black Sox scandal are eerie. The sheer size and utterly voracious appetite of the 21st century's sports media will make it much much worse.There's one parallel that I do not think will happen. In 1921 Landis demanded and got what amounted to a lifetime appointment with absolute power. Successive commissioners had the same independence, more or less, until Selig. The owners like having a lap dog commissioner, and I doubt they will be willing to go back to a commissioner with any real power, and certainly not any power over them, as the real commissioners had. Which means if and when Selig gets the axe (I'm not so convinced it will happen), his successor will not have the means to really do anything about the problem. Without any real power, it will be more window dressing.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 10:13 PM
There's one parallel that I do not think will happen. In 1921 Landis demanded and got what amounted to a lifetime appointment with absolute power. Successive commissioners had the same independence, more or less, until Selig.

Landis had what amounted to a guaranteed contract of unspecified length. The owners were genuinely scared of what would happen if they didn't appear to be "cleaning up baseball." Once the scandal faded from memory (thanks mostly to a lively new ball and some fat kid from Baltimore) no other commissioner was EVER offered such a contract like that again. Not Chandler. Not Frick. Not the Unknown Soldier. And Lord knows Bowie Kuhn spent his entire tenure running away from his own shadow. Walt O'Malley was baseball's defacto commissioner through the 70s.

It's one of the great fictions of baseball that the commissioner is independent. The only one that had any real independence was Landis... and his greatest contribution to the sport was keeping all the blacks out for 30 years. What a guy!

Ol' No. 2
02-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Landis had what amounted to a guaranteed contract of unspecified length. The owners were genuinely scared of what would happen if they didn't appear to be "cleaning up baseball." Once the scandal faded from memory (thanks mostly to a lively new ball and some fat kid from Baltimore) no other commissioner was EVER offered such a contract like that again. Not Chandler. Not Frick. Not the Unknown Soldier. And Lord knows Bowie Kuhn spent his entire tenure running away from his own shadow. Walt O'Malley was baseball's defacto commissioner through the 70s.

It's one of the great fictions of baseball that the commissioner is independent. The only one that had any real independence was Landis... and his greatest contribution to the sport was keeping all the blacks out for 30 years. What a guy!Well, Bowie Kuhn did void Charlie Finlay's sale of Rudi, Fingers and Blue "in the best interests of baseball". Finley was furious, but he had to toe the line. I don't think Selig would or could make such a decision. Look at his behavior during the Rodriguez-Ramirez trade fiasco last winter. Certainly none of Landis' successors had his degree of independence but I think all had more independence than Selig. That's basically why they forced Fay Vincent out. Giamatti actually tried to exercise some power, and when Vincent tried to do the same, he got the bum's rush.

Anyway, the point was that only a commissioner with real independence could make the hard decisions needed to actually clean up this mess, and I don't see that happening, unfortunately. I fear we're just going to get another fig leaf because that's what the owners want.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Well, Bowie Kuhn did void Charlie Finlay's sale of Rudi, Fingers and Blue "in the best interests of baseball". Finley was furious, but he had to toe the line.

I'm hardly the first person to note that Charlie Finley was baseball's outcast, and the only one Kuhn ever treated like that. The only way Kuhn musters the balls to step on Finley is with the full approval from a majority of the owners -- especially Walt O'Malley.

And as for Selig ever making a similar decision, he hasn't and he won't. Faye Vincent is the perfect example of a commissioner who thought he was independent and got what he deserved from the owners for being so delusional. Bought out and terminated. Selig's fate, too.

Ol' No. 2
02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm hardly the first person to note that Charlie Finley was baseball's outcast, and the only one Kuhn ever treated like that. The only way Kuhn musters the balls to step on Finley is with the full approval from a majority of the owners -- especially Walt O'Malley.

And as for Selig ever making a similar decision, he hasn't and he won't. Faye Vincent is the perfect example of a commissioner who thought he was independent and got what he deserved from the owners for being so delusional. Bought out and terminated. Selig's fate, too.Selig is a cardboard cutout of the owner's creation. He may take the fall, but they'll replace him with another just like him. They're not about to allow a commissioner with any real power. About the only good thing that may come out of this is that they may be forced to strengthen their testing program even further.

StillMissOzzie
02-11-2005, 02:20 AM
I copied this little tidbit from an account of Giambi's press conference:

``If it was up to Jason, he would tell you everything,'' Tellem (his agent) said

Yeah, that's why it took a grant of immunity froma grand jury.

**** unless you're really gonna say something, Giambi.

SMO
:angry:

Maximo
02-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Giambi needs Jose's book to come out ASAP, if nothing more than to send the media hounds to another part of the lake in search of bigger fish.

BTW...I finally figured out who Giambi looks like. He bears an uncanny resemblance to another NYC celeb who once received immunity for "coming clean".........Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.

NonetheLoaiza
02-11-2005, 11:55 AM
I am probably going to catch some heat for this, but when I watched or heard Giambi's press conference the first time, I had the same reaction of, GMAB, etc etc. Obviously he can't admit to taking steroids because of his contract situation. I can't stand what Giambi did and how he took the 2000 MVP from Frank. He did one of the worst things you can do as a baseball player, and does not want to accept ALL the consequences. I will however, give him one thing...he did apologize. We all know what he apologized for (his legal issues are another matter). I am not being sympathetic for Giambi or looking at him as a victim, but he did what alot of players refuse to do, and that is tell the truth. Now, I think he should be suspended and penalized as much as possible, but I think he deserves a second chance.

Like I said, I'm not saying that I support Giambi or am a fan. I'm just saying that at least he has the guts to come out and risk having the entire baseball world against him, instead of denying everything all the time. Although, if he had real guts, he would admit to using steroids and have the Yankees void his contract so he can start over. But we know that would never happen.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to say? I hope I make at least some sense...

Jabroni
02-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I am probably going to catch some heat for this, but when I watched or heard Giambi's press conference the first time, I had the same reaction of, GMAB, etc etc. Obviously he can't admit to taking steroids because of his contract situation. I can't stand what Giambi did and how he took the 2000 MVP from Frank. He did one of the worst things you can do as a baseball player, and does not want to accept ALL the consequences. I will however, give him one thing...he did apologize. We all know what he apologized for (his legal issues are another matter). I am not being sympathetic for Giambi or looking at him as a victim, but he did what alot of players refuse to do, and that is tell the truth. Now, I think he should be suspended and penalized as much as possible, but I think he deserves a second chance.

Like I said, I'm not saying that I support Giambi or am a fan. I'm just saying that at least he has the guts to come out and risk having the entire baseball world against him, instead of denying everything all the time. Although, if he had real guts, he would admit to using steroids and have the Yankees void his contract so he can start over. But we know that would never happen.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to say? I hope I make at least some sense...The only reason Giambi "apologized" is because he had to admit to using steroids to a grand jury because there was evidence proving his guilt. Had no one brought up this evidence and made Giambi admit to using steroids, do you think he would have ever come out and admitted it himself? Hell no. He got caught red-handed and had to tell the truth to the grand jury. He won't truly apologize for using steroids to the public because he doesn't want to lose the rest of his 4-year, $80 million contract from the Yankees. The Yankees could void his contract if he admitted using steroids to the public while his admission of guilt to the grand jury is confidential.

Flight #24
02-11-2005, 12:18 PM
FWIW - There was a report that Giambi specifically removed any steroid-related clauses from his Yankees contract and the team obliged. GM Cashman has denied this, but what would you expect him to say?

NonetheLoaiza
02-11-2005, 12:54 PM
The only reason Giambi "apologized" is because he had to admit to using steroids to a grand jury because there was evidence proving his guilt. Had no one brought up this evidence and made Giambi admit to using steroids, do you think he would have ever come out and admitted it himself? Hell no. He got caught red-handed and had to tell the truth to the grand jury. He won't truly apologize for using steroids to the public because he doesn't want to lose the rest of his 4-year, $80 million contract from the Yankees. The Yankees could void his contract if he admitted using steroids to the public while his admission of guilt to the grand jury is confidential.

I know and understand all of that. No one in the right mind making that much money in baseball is going to say or admit to something that would cost them their job. I am just saying that at least when he is obviously guilty, he is apologizing. Simply put, he is not being Barry Bonds or Sheffield and giving that 'I didn't know what it was' crap. Giambi is a punk for using steroids and getting caught. At the very least, he owes baseball fans an apology for dragging the game through the mud, and he gave that. There are worse ways he could have handled the situation.

Ol' No. 2
02-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I know and understand all of that. No one in the right mind making that much money in baseball is going to say or admit to something that would cost them their job. I am just saying that at least when he is obviously guilty, he is apologizing. Simply put, he is not being Barry Bonds or Sheffield and giving that 'I didn't know what it was' crap. Giambi is a punk for using steroids and getting caught. At the very least, he owes baseball fans an apology for dragging the game through the mud, and he gave that. There are worse ways he could have handled the situation.I'll give you that he's a step above Bonds and Sheffield in that he didn't try to foist off some lame-ass explanation.:(:

:nandrolone "It was a mistake. Those were my batting practice steroids."

jackbrohamer
02-11-2005, 01:33 PM
I'll give you that he's a step above Bonds and Sheffield in that he didn't try to foist off some lame-ass explanation.:(:

So Giambi gets the highest grade in a class that everyone flunked.

white sox bill
02-11-2005, 01:45 PM
http://www.goldpanners.com/Pressbox/Players/g/g/giambi-jason_FADE_01.gifhttp://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/aug01/oak/frontjason.jpg
"DUUURRR, ME NO TOOK DA ROIDS!!!"

Jason man, you need to do some serious cardio! Look @ that gut! Hit the tuna and egg whites dude!

RKMeibalane
02-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Does anyone else think Giambi looks like Kenny Banya in that "Alaska" picture?

JC456
02-11-2005, 01:51 PM
How can he be sorry for taking steroids. It isn't like picking up a gun and in the spur of a moment do something stupid! The reports indicate he did this for three years at least. How can you be sorry? Sorry he still stunk? Didn't do a good job of using them? And why is he only apologizing to NEW York fans?

And, if he is stating that Jose's book is ludicrist, then I want to see a major defimation of character law suit from this clown against Jose on the information on him in the book! Otherwise it is all true!:dtroll:

Jabroni
02-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Jason man, you need to do some serious cardio! Look @ that gut! Hit the tuna and egg whites dude!That's not really a gut on Giambi. It's actually what is called in the steroid world as a "power gut." You intentionally gain alot of fat mass in your stomach and then do a cycle of roids and turn it into muscle.

StillMissOzzie
02-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Does anyone else think Giambi looks like Kenny Banya in that "Alaska" picture?

That's gold, RK..........GOLD!!

SMO
:D:

DaleJRFan
02-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Giambi needs Jose's book to come out ASAP, if nothing more than to send the media hounds to another part of the lake in search of bigger fish.

BTW...I finally figured out who Giambi looks like. He bears an uncanny resemblance to another NYC celeb who once received immunity for "coming clean".........Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.

I have to say he bears a striking resemblance to Phil Michelson.. at least the greasy hairdo...

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/02/10/Zvo4g3D4.jpg http://images.pgatour.com/players/images/headshots/132075.jpg

flo-B-flo
02-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Does anyone know what I'm trying to say? I hope I make at least some sense... He apologized A) because he got caught and B) to suck up to the yanker$ fans. IMO