PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to a game at Texas?

SaltyPretzel
02-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm might be going down there on Memorial Day weekend to see the Sox play the Rangers. I was wondering if anyone has been there and what they thought.

Thanks.

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm might be going down there on Memorial Day weekend to see the Sox play the Rangers. I was wondering if anyone has been there and what they thought.

Thanks.

Very nice stadium, IMO. Green seats (that face the proper direction), visually appealing inside and out, TGI Friday's restaurant in right field. The upper deck in right field has an overhang, similar to old Tiger Stadium. Past left field there are business offices that overlook the field. The food is not as good as USCF, but overall it's a very nice stadium. It's a nice area in which to stay for sort of a mini-vacation. The ballpark is halfway between Dallas and Ft. Worth and right next to Six Flags over Texas and Six Flags Water park.

SaltyPretzel
02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Is there any nightlife around there? :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
02-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks. Is there any nightlife around there? :gulp:

Not much, unless you count chain restaurants (Fridays, Hooters, Chilis, etc.) as "nightlife."

For true nightlife, you'd have to head for Fort Worth to the west or Dallas to the east. In Dallas, the West End is touristy and family-friendly. If you're more into bands and bars, check out Deep Ellum, just east of downtown. If you swing the other way, check out Oak Lawn, which is just north of downtown Dallas. If not as familiar with Fort Worth, but the downtown area is said by many to be superior to Dallas.

On the whole, DFW is not the greatest place in the world to visit. There's not a lot to do unless you like to ride roller coasters, eat out, drink or drive around (hopefully not all at once). If you like barbecue, check out Dickey's (http://www.dickeys.com/). You can get a nice ribs and sausage plate for under $10.

I'll probably be at one or two of those games myself.

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Not much, unless you count chain restaurants (Fridays, Hooters, Chilis, etc.) as "nightlife."

For true nightlife, you'd have to head for Fort Worth to the west or Dallas to the east. In Dallas, the West End is touristy and family-friendly. If you're more into bands and bars, check out Deep Ellum, just east of downtown. If you swing the other way, check out Oak Lawn, which is just north of downtown Dallas. If not as familiar with Fort Worth, but the downtown area is said by many to be superior to Dallas.

On the whole, DFW is not the greatest place in the world to visit. There's not a lot to do unless you like to ride roller coasters, eat out, drink or drive around (hopefully not all at once). If you like barbecue, check out Dickey's (http://www.dickeys.com/). You can get a nice ribs and sausage plate for under $10.

I'll probably be at one or two of those games myself.

I agree with all of that. Sorry for not mentioning the nightlife (or lack thereof) in my earlier post. I'm married with 3 young children, so that sort of slipped my mind. One more thing, the ballpark is close to the airport (DFW) but if you want to visit Dallas or Ft. Worth, your best bet would be to get a rental car, as the metroplex is spread out and doesn't have public transportation on the level of what Chicago has.

pinwheels3530
02-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Ameriquest Field is one of the ballparks on my list to visit. I have always liked that right field Home Run porch they have out there. HKS inc the architectural firm that build that ballpark is doing the renovations for US cellular, so you can see how some of the designs are similar for both ballparks.

Brian26
02-10-2005, 12:13 PM
TGI Friday's restaurant in right field.

There's a TGI Friday's off Butterfield Road in Lombard, too. What's your point? :D:

Peanuts and hotdogs are the only food you need at a baseball game.

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 12:25 PM
There's a TGI Friday's off Butterfield Road in Lombard, too. What's your point? :D:

Hey Mensa, at the location in Lombard, can you sit in the restaurant and overlook the playing field of a major league stadium?

Brian26
02-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Hey Mensa, at the location in Lombard, can you sit in the restaurant and overlook the playing field of a major league stadium?

No, but you can sit in the restaurant and watch the game on tv...which is basically the same thing. Why on earth would you want to go to a friggin baseball game only to sit in a generic suburban restaurant and look out the window to watch it while eating generic suburban food? Isn't baseball about being outside and smelling the air and hearing the crack of the bat and eating hotdogs and peanuts? Give me a ****ing break.

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 12:51 PM
No, but you can sit in the restaurant and watch the game on tv...which is basically the same thing. Why on earth would you want to go to a friggin baseball game only to sit in a generic suburban restaurant and look out the window to watch it while eating generic suburban food? Isn't baseball about being outside and smelling the air and hearing the crack of the bat and eating hotdogs and peanuts? Give me a ****ing break.

Whatever..... and no, it's not the same thing. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and this may come as a newsflash to you, but some people like eating food at games, other than hot dogs and peanuts. Does USCF sell anything other than hot dogs and peanuts? By the way, at the Friday's inside Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix, you CAN sit outside, smell the air, and hear the crack of the bat. Look, I was simply responding to a question about a stadium, so I mentioned all of the unique aspects of it that I could remember. Fair enough?

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Peanuts and hotdogs are the only food you need at a baseball game.

You should have mentioned that to the person who wrote "Take me out to the ballgame."

pearso66
02-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I have been to the DFW area a few times, as my g/fs parents live there. If you are looking for something to do, either during the day or early evening, go to the stockyards near Fort Worth. Its a pretty cool place to see once, they have cattle drives through town every day, I believe twice a day, plus a few good cheap restaurants.

hsnterprize
02-11-2005, 06:10 AM

Peanuts and hotdogs are the only food you need at a baseball game.So I guess that Bullpen Sports Bar in right field wasn't necessary, was it?

Brian26
02-11-2005, 11:27 AM
So I guess that Bullpen Sports Bar in right field wasn't necessary, was it?

It serves a purpose. I still don't understand why there seems to be a group of people who go to the game and sit in the bar and drink the whole time. You could do that at any bar in the city or even at home.

The only time I've ever really been down there was when Wills was doing the post game radio shows on Friday night.

Brian26
02-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Whatever..... and no, it's not the same thing. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and this may come as a newsflash to you, but some people like eating food at games, other than hot dogs and peanuts. Does USCF sell anything other than hot dogs and peanuts? By the way, at the Friday's inside Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix, you CAN sit outside, smell the air, and hear the crack of the bat. Look, I was simply responding to a question about a stadium, so I mentioned all of the unique aspects of it that I could remember. Fair enough?

My food comment was intended to be an obvious rip on TGI Friday's food. Yeah, it's cool to have Cracker Jack or a brat at the game too. That's just as traditional as hotdogs and peanuts. It falls into the same category. Don't get stuck on that. My point is that you shouldn't need potato skins and jack daniels honey-broiled pork chops and a "mudslide" for dessert. You're at a baseball game, and the main attraction should be the game...not a generic restaurant that can be found anywhere in the country.

If it's open late after the game, I'll give them props for that. It would be a nice place to congregate for a few hours without having to get in a car and leave the stadium.

If people are in there during the game, I think it's a waste.

hsnterprize
02-11-2005, 11:51 AM
It serves a purpose. I still don't understand why there seems to be a group of people who go to the game and sit in the bar and drink the whole time. You could do that at any bar in the city or even at home.

The only time I've ever really been down there was when Wills was doing the post game radio shows on Friday night.I can see where you're coming from. If anything, nowadays, it's more of an "entertainment" thing to go to a baseball game rather than just the sport itself. There are a lot more casual fans nowadays since there's more competition for the entertaiment dollar.

I guess that makes me feel more glad we White Sox fans know that it's all about the baseball, and not just the "trendiness" of going to a ball game. Ever since the sCrUBS got so popular, the whole emphasis of going to a baseball game has gone completely awry. And the sad thing about that is other teams in other cities want to do the same thing since that trend is working on the north side.

Brian26
02-11-2005, 11:58 AM
I can see where you're coming from. If anything, nowadays, it's more of an "entertainment" thing to go to a baseball game rather than just the sport itself. There are a lot more casual fans nowadays since there's more competition for the entertaiment dollar.

And you know what, as long as it is bringing revenue in that's going to be reinvested into the product on the field, I guess I really don't have a problem with it. I'm talking about my personal preferences, but I think we've all seen the people I'm refering to. There are people that go to the games who have no interest in what's going on down on the field. Whether it's sitting in a TGI Friday's inside the stadium or just standing at the beer stand on our rightfield concourse for 9 innings with their back to the field, I guess it's not going away. Anyway- getting back to the original point, I was a little surprised that the having a Friday's in a ballpark was considered a good thing.

hsnterprize
02-11-2005, 11:58 AM
My food comment was intended to be an obvious rip on TGI Friday's food. Yeah, it's cool to have Cracker Jack or a brat at the game too. That's just as traditional as hotdogs and peanuts. It falls into the same category. Don't get stuck on that. My point is that you shouldn't need potato skins and jack daniels honey-broiled pork chops and a "mudslide" for dessert. You're at a baseball game, and the main attraction should be the game...not a generic restaurant that can be found anywhere in the country.

If it's open late after the game, I'll give them props for that. It would be a nice place to congregate for a few hours without having to get in a car and leave the stadium.

If people are in there during the game, I think it's a waste. I'll second that motion. Say...I thought of something (man...I wish I was an architect.) I thought of an office building-style promenade that could be built right along the viaduct railroad tracks across the parking lot from the park. It would have a Metra stop on the very top, and walkways above the lot that would lead directly to the ballpark. That building would also have souvenir shops, a restaurant or two, and team offices. I figure things like the Sox Hall of Fame and other fan-friendly amenities could be built inside the walls. And with that promenade, that rampway along the 1st base side could go down...and make that side of the ballpark more visible and attractive.

I'd say a structure similar to one featured in the photo gallery would be good for the 3rd base side. That picture for reference is an architectural drawing on the park with a RF HR porch, and a new walkway extending from the parking lot north of the ballpark to the Cell. And...a grand entrance along the LF corner closest to the Red Line "el" tracks, and a better looking rampway along the RF corner.

I know this isn't another "renovate the Cell" thread, but I thought those were good enough ideas to share. Comments?

hsnterprize
02-11-2005, 12:14 PM
...I think we've all seen the people I'm refering to. There are people that go to the games who have no interest in what's going on down on the field. Whether it's sitting in a TGI Friday's inside the stadium or just standing at the beer stand on our rightfield concourse for 9 innings with their back to the field, I guess it's not going away. Anyway- getting back to the original point, I was a little surprised that the having a Friday's in a ballpark was considered a good thing.True 'dat. Having places like Friday's in the ballpark are definitely a sign of the times. But, when teams aren't playing well, that doesn't mean the revenues don't have to be met. It's sad, but every team has to pull some kind of a marketing gimmick to get fans to come. Some teams are just better at it than others. And some teams' fans are less gullible to it than others (hint, hint!!!).

AZChiSoxFan
02-11-2005, 02:21 PM

If people are in there during the game, I think it's a waste.

Understood. I consider myself a baseball traditionalist and agree that the game is of course the main attraction. As stated previously, I originally mentioned it only because it's a unique feature of the Ballpark in Arlington (or whatever it's called these days). As far as your question about it being open late after the game, the one at Bank One Ballpark in Phx is open from lunch time until late at night, 364 days a year. I have never been in there during a game because, like yourself, I like to actually watch the game from the stands. I do like to go there for lunch during the offseason/non-gamedays, because even on those days, you can still sit outside overlooking the field and I like being in the ballpark, even if there's not a game going on.

chaz171
02-11-2005, 03:18 PM
I lived in dallas for 6 wreched Years. I have been to the BIA and the old Arlington Stadium.

The inside of the BIA is quite nice, but It has a seating 'dish' that if memory serves correct, doesn't allow the game to be seen well from the concourse....

The water tastes like dirt and the beer is weak. the best local beer down there is called shiner bock.... It's not even a bock beer. it's a freakin' amber...

There are three urine soaked neighborhoods to 'party' in Dallas.... the West End (yuppie), Lower Greenville (college), and Deep Ellum (on the left).

Once you get tired of falling over hicks trying to act open minded, you can also travel around Northwest highway and Harry Hines Blvd... for more of a Dallas Cowboy's style night life....(hookers, blow & topless bars) or you can see your game and get the hell out of town.

chaz171
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
And you know what, as long as it is bringing revenue in that's going to be reinvested into the product on the field, I guess I really don't have a problem with it. I'm talking about my personal preferences, but I think we've all seen the people I'm refering to. There are people that go to the games who have no interest in what's going on down on the field. Whether it's sitting in a TGI Friday's inside the stadium or just standing at the beer stand on our rightfield concourse for 9 innings with their back to the field, I guess it's not going away. Anyway- getting back to the original point, I was a little surprised that the having a Friday's in a ballpark was considered a good thing.

Dallas is like all of the cookie cutter towns in the south like, orlando or charlotte...where Appleby's is condsidered finer dining.....

DaleJRFan
02-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I still don't understand why there seems to be a group of people who go to the game and sit in the bar and drink the whole time. You could do that at any bar in the city or even at home.

I believe this is what Cubs fans do, correct me if I am wrong. I agree, I never understood how people can pay $30+ for a ticket to a baseball game, and sit in a bar instead of enjoying the atmosphere that is the american past time. I personally enjoy talking to the people in the seats around me at games, getting to know other fans, talking baseball while it is happening in front of me, live... not transmitted and recreated on television.

But, I am entitled to my opinion, they have theirs. I can't judge them based solely on their baseball observation practices.

Brian26
02-11-2005, 04:37 PM
As far as your question about it being open late after the game, the one at Bank One Ballpark in Phx is open from lunch time until late at night, 364 days a year. .....I like being in the ballpark, even if there's not a game going on.

Agreed. If they actually make money and keep it open all year, that's super cool. I'd love to be able to eat lunch overlooking the Cell in the middle of March or even around Christmas time.

DaleJRFan
02-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Dallas is like all of the cookie cutter towns in the south like, orlando or charlotte...where Appleby's is condsidered finer dining.....

Let me guess... you either lived in or visited Plano, Grapevine or one of the other cookie cutter Dallas suburbs (which aren't any different from any suburb of any major American city)??? I lived in Dallas for 2 years and found it to be quite unique.

vance
02-11-2005, 08:08 PM
I lived in Fort Worth and the Terrell, TX for a few years and the Ballpark in Arlington is nice. My one complaint is that it is outdoors and the heat can become oppressive at times. I reccomend getting seats in the homerun porch or on the first base side to avoid the sun.

It has some of the best choices for food of any ballpark. The hotdogs suck, but there is quite a variety. The smoked turkey legs are really good.

If you're looking for a nice restaurant and like steak houses, I reccomend Cattleman's in the Fort Worth Stockyards. From the Ballpark, take I-30 West to I-35W and go north. Follow the exits and signs to the Stockyards and you can't miss it.

For the kids, there is Six Flags and Hurrican Harbor right there in the same area as the Ballpark. Also, if you're looking to go clubbing, there's a place called City Streets in downtown Fort Worth. It's a pretty nice place.

Dick Allen
02-13-2005, 06:04 PM
I have been to a few games in the BIA, and have enjoyed my experiences there. I find it odd, though, and don't know if any of you would agree with me, but the main scoreboard is on top of the roof in right-center field. There are just an awful lot of spots in the park where it is impossible to see the scoreboard, more so than at any other park I have been to.