PDA

View Full Version : Dan McNeil interested for Sox pre/post game

!Winning=Fung!
02-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Mentioned today that he went to the top guys at the station and told them that he would do it if they wanted him to. He is a great sox supporter, I think it would be okay. WhitesoxInteractive mentioned also!

Jjav829
02-09-2005, 03:48 PM
What did he say about WSI?

Edit: FWIW, I think Danny Mac would be a great replacement. He would make for some very, um...interesting post-game shows.

!Winning=Fung!
02-09-2005, 03:51 PM
It was an member that emailed, and yurk or harry asked if they looked at the site yesterday and they said no. Sounds like a question that tells us that they occasionally look at the site, I think.

MUsoxfan
02-09-2005, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't mind it at all. Mac has a definite passion for the White Sox and for the game as a whole. My main concern with the new hire is that they actually be a White Sox fan and not just a talking head.

OEO Magglio
02-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I hope either Mac or Carmen land that gig.

spawn
02-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Give me Carmen. Mac's an opinionated blowhard. Yes, he's a Sox fan, but he rips the team as much as anyone. I can just see him call Jon Garland 'Judy" every time he pitches. If he does the pre and post, I don't think I'd listen.

CHISOXFAN13
02-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Give me Carmen. Mac's an opinionated blowhard. Yes, he's a Sox fan, but he rips the team as much as anyone. I can just see him call Jon Garland 'Judy" every time he pitches. If he does the pre and post, I don't think I'd listen.

Do we want a pre/post game host who sugarcoats underachieving play or someone who is honest?

I like the honest approach, regardless of how this team is playing.

rmusacch
02-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Do we want a pre/post game host who sugarcoats underachieving play or someone who is honest?

I like the honest approachm regardless of how this team is playing.

I agree with you there.

spawn
02-09-2005, 04:04 PM

I like the honest approachm regardless of how this team is playing.
Honest approach I can handle. Criticism, I can handle. But this guy is too over the top for my taste.

NSSoxFan
02-09-2005, 04:06 PM
I like the idea. Hey Mac, I know your looking at this thread, do it.

Tekijawa
02-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I'd Like him and Piersol to do the pre and post game, that would be the best 15 minutes on television!

Wimpy
02-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Danny Mac said he would only be interested in doing the pre-game show when the sox are in the eastern or central time zones. He would not want to do the post-game shows. He only wants to work from 3-7pm and no weekends. I would love for McNeil to get this gig, but only if he is 100% dedicated.

I know most of the people on this site love Wilsy, but I am so happy he is gone. His over-optimism would upset me sometimes. He was definitely not a realist.
He was such a homer. When he would fill in for Rooney or Farmer his game calling was great tough.

FightingBillini
02-09-2005, 04:38 PM

Thank you. Mac is a blowhard who sounds like he is doing a poor imitation of Joe Mantenga. Most of the time, it sounds like HomeFish is on the radio. Its one thing to bash the Sox, its another to do nothing but bash them, and never accept the good moves they made.

IMO, the eppitomy of classlessness came with the Lee trade. "We gave up Lee for a .244 hitter and crap. Vizcaino? He's crap." Bashing a very good player you have never heard of is one thing, but calling him "crap" takes away all your credibility. We enough of the "whoa is me, the Sox suck" garbage from Mariotti every day in the scum-times, we dont need Mac on the pre/post. Willsy was great because he was a fan, but he was professional. He talked fans down after losses, he didnt proclaim "this team is garbage and the rest of the season will be like the Baton Death March".

popilius
02-09-2005, 04:42 PM
I would love for McNeil to get this gig, but only if he is 100% dedicated.

I know most of the people on this site love Wilsy, but I am so happy he is gone. His over-optimism would upset me sometimes. He was definitely not a realist.
He was such a homer. .

I definitely agree with you on your first point about McNeil, but your opinion on Dave Wills is very unusual.

I never got the impression that he was overly optimistic. He would accurately assess the Sox' situation and suggest how the team should approach games in order to increase chances to win. He would also choose his words well about Sox players; such as using the word "serviceable" player rather than "good" or "great," like other analysts who are out of their elements.

:gulp:

DrCrawdad
02-09-2005, 05:08 PM
FORGET MAC! How about a passionate Sox fan who goes by the moniker of DrCrawdad?

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
02-09-2005, 05:16 PM
"Mackie Land" is a great destination.I'd welcome a true Sox fan
telling it like it is.No BS.No lies.Sox fans can see through them.:gulp: :gulp:

jdm2662
02-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Not a big fan of his. Give it to Carmen.
________
Airstream (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Airstream)

Danryan
02-09-2005, 05:59 PM
I'll truly miss Dave Wills. You can criticize him for being a homer, but nobody can deny he was a true White Sox fan who wore his feelings on his sleeve. I doubt anyone will be as passionate as Dave Wills.

spawn
02-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Thank you. Mac is a blowhard who sounds like he is doing a poor imitation of Joe Mantenga. Most of the time, it sounds like HomeFish is on the radio. Its one thing to bash the Sox, its another to do nothing but bash them, and never accept the good moves they made.

IMO, the eppitomy of classlessness came with the Lee trade. "We gave up Lee for a .244 hitter and crap. Vizcaino? He's crap." Bashing a very good player you have never heard of is one thing, but calling him "crap" takes away all your credibility. We enough of the "whoa is me, the Sox suck" garbage from Mariotti every day in the scum-times, we dont need Mac on the pre/post. Willsy was great because he was a fan, but he was professional. He talked fans down after losses, he didnt proclaim "this team is garbage and the rest of the season will be like the Baton Death March".
This is exactly why I don't want him anywhere near the pre/post. He talks about how bad Mariotti is, but he's the same way. I haven't heard him say one good thing about the moves the Sox made this year. He doesn't have to be an a**kisser, but at least acknowledge Kenny is trying to improve this team. At least wait until you've seen the new guys play before ripping them.

hose
02-09-2005, 06:55 PM
I would rather have Carmen DiFalco over Mac.

Mac comes across as a real arrogant smartass on his radio show.

MRKARNO
02-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Carmen's ok, but not great alone with the Bulls games. I'd rather see Dan McNeil

Brian26
02-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Ugh. Mac is a blowhard and a drunk. What's he going to do, start shoving guys around if they don't agree with his keys to the game? He stirs up too much **** to be taken seriously. I hope the station steers clear of him.

"Build a bridge" to anger-management, Mac.

skobabe8
02-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I won't be able to live without Willsy's part of the intro anymore. I kid you not. Someone talk me off the ledge...
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

ChicagoHoosier
02-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Didn't realize until after reading the thread and some additional info. I agree, no part time players here. If Mac doesn't want to do it full time, every game, pre and post, then get someone in there who will.

I still am intrigued by the Swieca idea, as mentioned in another thread or two. But doubt she's an option if still under contract with the Score. I think Carmen would do a decent job, but agree with most posters that I'll miss Wills.

Rocklive99
02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
I really like him and the radio show, but I don't know if I want him as the pre/post game show host, plus with the time restrictions he gave it wouldn't work, and I'd rather have one guy instead of having to keep switching on different days.

Nellie_Fox
02-09-2005, 11:26 PM

I like the honest approach, regardless of how this team is playing.Calling Sox players names is "honest?" There's a difference between being critical and turning on a team.

Sorry, Danny boy is way to full of himself for me

slavko
02-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Danny Mac said he would only be interested in doing the pre-game show when the sox are in the eastern or central time zones. He would not want to do the post-game shows. He only wants to work from 3-7pm and no weekends. I would love for McNeil to get this gig, but only if he is 100% dedicated.

Every time Mac opted out of a pre- or post-game show, he could pipe up on MJH and say that he himself was not a team player the same way he wore out Mariotti for taking off the last 20 minutes of his former show.

34 Inch Stick
02-10-2005, 07:09 AM
The idea seemed interesting as he was saying it last night. On further review, their is just no way that it would work.

The other person who handled post game and weekend duties would have far more air time in that spot. If the person was good enough to handle the majoirity of the air time, he should be good enough to fill the job full time. In addition, only the most desperate of radio people would accept the part time job. Is that a person we would want handling the post game position (which in my opinion is more critical than pre game from a broadcasting perspective)?

Let me throw out another name for you. JHood obviously hates the position the SCORE has put him in. I have to believe the SCORE is going to blow the Telander show up soon, so they would be willing to let him walk. He is a rabid Sox fan who has done Sox "postgame" shows. In addition, you could give him weekend shows and other duties during the off season.

Sad
02-10-2005, 07:14 AM
:hawk Mac... No!

:sahaf the rumors of Dave Wills leaving are false

Hangar18
02-10-2005, 07:47 AM
I'd Like him and Piersol to do the pre and post game, that would be the best 15 minutes on television!

WOW, theres an interesting name. Jimmy Piersall. He has history
and ties to the Chicago White Sox from way back.

Hangar18
02-10-2005, 07:51 AM

I know hes not from Chicago, but dang if he doesnt sound like hes
from the South Side. I like his sharp wit, and critiques. I would
try to listen in on him when he would guest star on the Murphy Cub Morning Zoo, and even though 98% of the time, Murph would hang him up
asking cub questions, getting him to comment on cub players, and
asking him his thoughts on game situations from the previous nites cubgame,
I liked what he had to say.........
I always liked how Piersall would comment on the White SOX and be getting
into the subject, and Murphy would ALWAYS on CUE, Corral Piersall away
from talking SOX and get him back to the CUBS. Murphy is such an Ahole,
and I hate to talk bad about people and use bad words.

Sad
02-10-2005, 08:04 AM
I haven't heard Jimmie on w/ Murph since he went nights...

but I thought when he had the AM gig, Piersall would talk SOX one segment, then they'd go to break, come back and talk Cubs... or vice versa

:unsure:

Jjav829
02-10-2005, 08:27 AM
I haven't heard Jimmie on w/ Murph since he went nights...

but I thought when he had the AM gig, Piersall would talk SOX one segment, then they'd go to break, come back and talk Cubs... or vice versa

:unsure:

They would, except on Hangar's imaginary radio. Half the time Piersall couldn't remember the Sox players names. Murph would have to try to figure out who Piersall was talking about.

wdelaney72
02-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Even though I agree with many here, McNeil comes off as kind of a blowhole, I still love his radio show.

First off, the Post game show would be a pay-cust for him if he were to do it full-time in place of his current gig. Secondly, there's no way he could do both the afternoon show and the pre and post game shows.

I just don't see this happening.

I'm all for Carmen DeFalco (someone please correct my spelling) or Julie Sweica, but I don't the rest of the listening audience would be open to a woman handling the job. Both are big fans, talents on the radio, and an easy listen.

Someone suggested Jimmy Piersol?? Good God, you must be high. He's completely lost it.

Over By There
02-10-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm definitely torn on this one. I love MJ&H, and warts and all, I like Danny Mac and think he makes the show. Jurko and Harry are great, but I wouldn't listen to them without DM.

That said, I'd rather see someone get the gig who is committed to it 100%. Plus, and I'm struggling to describe this feeling, but I don't think I connect with DM as a Sox fan. Make no mistake, I am glad he's a Sox fan. But the way he talks about the team is usually somewhat disconnected with how I feel. Willsy, OTOH, always seemed to know exactly how I felt before and after the game, if that makes sense.

spawn
02-10-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm definitely torn on this one. I love MJ&H, and warts and all, I like Danny Mac and think he makes the show. Jurko and Harry are great, but I wouldn't listen to them without DM.

That said, I'd rather see someone get the gig who is committed to it 100%. Plus, and I'm struggling to describe this feeling, but I don't think I connect with DM as a Sox fan. Make no mistake, I am glad he's a Sox fan. But the way he talks about the team is usually somewhat disconnected with how I feel. Willsy, OTOH, always seemed to know exactly how I felt before and after the game, if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. That's how I feel whenever I hear him talk about the Sox. Yes, he's a Sox fan. But, as you said, I don't connect with him at all.

Jerko
02-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Let's keep Sweica where she is right now, thanks. I don't need to hear 20 drunks calling her after the show telling her how great she is and repeating every word she says just so she "likes them". Real interesting dialogue there; she says something, drunk calls in drooling all over himself (lord knows why) and says the same thing, repeat. No thanks.

Dan H
02-10-2005, 09:29 AM
McNeil can be a solid professional when he wants to be. The trouble is, he doesn't want to be.

ewokpelts
02-10-2005, 09:37 AM
McNeil can be a solid professional when he wants to be. The trouble is, he doesn't want to be.
ZING!

ewokpelts
02-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Even though I agree with many here, McNeil comes off as kind of a blowhole, I still love his radio show.

First off, the Post game show would be a pay-cust for him if he were to do it full-time in place of his current gig. Secondly, there's no way he could do both the afternoon show and the pre and post game shows.

I just don't see this happening.

I'm all for Carmen DeFalco (someone please correct my spelling) or Julie Sweica, but I don't the rest of the listening audience would be open to a woman handling the job. Both are big fans, talents on the radio, and an easy listen.

Someone suggested Jimmy Piersol?? Good God, you must be high. He's completely lost it.
Well, Who says he cant do both? MJH gets cut off early a lot by sox games , and Mac would already be in the studio ...it's only a matter of shuffling him off to do his pregame segment right before the MJH broadcast ends.
Gene

Mickster
02-10-2005, 09:44 AM

Piersall used to be a regular on Murph & Fred and would constantly rip on the Sox and praise the Cubs. No thanks.

JKryl
02-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Dan would be a good choice, considering what we have to work with. At least he'll,"tell it like it is." :wink:

Fungo
02-10-2005, 10:25 AM
They would, except on Hangar's imaginary radio. Half the time Piersall couldn't remember the Sox players names. Murph would have to try to figure out who Piersall was talking about.

Agreed. The guy was a joke as a baseball "expert" and was a butcher with the names. I say no to Jimmy.

Hangar18
02-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Piersall used to be a regular on Murph & Fred and would constantly rip on the Sox and praise the Cubs. No thanks.

Thats why a guy like him who is Going to give it to you straight, from an
almost Outsiders point of view, would make the show work. HOWEVER,
maybe pairing him up with a Dave Wills type wouldnt be so bad. He
would play the Devils Advocate/Bad Cop role ........

Hangar18
02-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Piersall used to be a regular on Murph & Fred and would constantly rip on the Sox ...................

He never really liked Willie Harris. He thought he could get more out of himself than what he was showing. He didnt like the Sox use of #5 hole in pitching rotation as a minor league tryout spot. He doesnt like Jon Garland. He was furious with Garland one time, Said this guy should be pitching inside a lot more and to Quit using his doggone curve on a 3-2 pitch, he keeps getting beat with his 2nd best pitch and losing games he shouldnt be losing.

Brian26
02-10-2005, 12:02 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think maybe they should just hand it over to Beltin' Bill and let him fly solo.

What's Jim Blaney doing nowadays? He used to do a nice job on the old Sportschannel Sox post-game show.

Piersall, bless him, is in no shape right now to do this gug full-time.

McNeil is a blowhard, turncoat, drunk with no integrity whatsoever. Its impossible to take the guy seriously, and he shouldn't be considered for 2 seconds.

Carmen has my vote.

tebman
02-10-2005, 12:06 PM
McNeil is a blowhard, turncoat, drunk with no integrity whatsoever. Its impossible to take the guy seriously, and he shouldn't be considered for 2 seconds.

Carmen has my vote.

C'mon! Tell us what you really think.

- tebman

Brian26
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
C'mon! Tell us what you really think.

- tebman

I had little respect for him after he got fired at the Score, but when he started pushing Harry around (whether that was real or staged doesn't matter), I lost all respect for him.

Anyone listen to him last year when he gave up on the team in the first week of August? Pathetic. In a way, a lot of people gave up after the Torii incident...but he openly talked about not even watching or going to any more games. That's just lame.

tebman
02-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I had little respect for him after he got fired at the Score, but when he started pushing Harry around (whether that was real or staged doesn't matter), I lost all respect for him.

Anyone listen to him last year when he gave up on the team in the first week of August? Pathetic. In a way, a lot of people gave up after the Torii incident...but he openly talked about not even watching or going to any more games. That's just lame.

I know what you mean, though I take him with several grains of salt. He's an entertainer and he sees his act as being sort of the wise couselor of sports with little patience for ill-informed (that is, not his) opinions. I remember reading about his (apparent) meltdown a couple of years ago, with some mention of counseling. Who knows how much of that is staged?

That being said, I agree that he wouldn't be the best choice for the pre & post game shows on the radio. Those programs should be about the game and the team, and not about the host. Dave Wills pulled that off very, very well, which is why we'll miss him.

- tebman

SoxxoS
02-10-2005, 12:32 PM
ESPN radio wouldn't be on my dial if Jimmy Piersall is the post game guy. He is plain and simple and old codger. Painful to listen to, and could be a real douchebag at times. Say no to that guy.

Brian26
02-10-2005, 12:37 PM
ESPN radio wouldn't be on my dial if Jimmy Piersall is the post game guy. He is plain and simple and old codger. Painful to listen to, and could be a real douchebag at times. Say no to that guy.

Based on history with JR and EE going back to '81, there's no chance of it being even close to a possibility.

jabrch
02-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Based on history with JR and EE going back to '81, there's no chance of it being even close to a possibility.

There is an equal chance of Harry coming back as Jimmy being hired.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2005, 12:40 PM
It's debatable whether Piersall ever had anything insightful to say, he was mostly just a foil and buffoon to Harry Caray all those years in the Sox booth.

However there can be no debate Piersall has become totally worthless in the 20+ years since the Sox dumped him for the "horny broads" comment. It figures the Snore would hire him for baseball analysis all these years... he is the only dope they could find that made their regular on-air talent seem smart by comparison.
:ass
"Bark, Jimmy! Bark!"

There is no way I would listen to a Sox pre or post-game show hosted by Piersall.

Maximo
02-10-2005, 01:23 PM
It's debatable whether Piersall ever had anything insightful to say, he was mostly just a foil and buffoon to Harry Caray all those years in the Sox booth.

However there can be no debate Piersall has become totally worthless in the 20+ years since the Sox dumped him for the "horny broads" comment. It figures the Snore would hire him for baseball analysis all these years... he is the only dope they could find that made their regular on-air talent seem smart by comparison.
:ass
"Bark, Jimmy! Bark!"

There is no way I would listen to a Sox pre or post-game show hosted by Piersall.

Once again, my sentiments exactly.

This is beginning to get eerie, George. Were your mother and father Italian immigrants and did you wander away from the back yard somewhere around 1958?

spawn
02-10-2005, 02:05 PM

Yeah, that was pitiful. I'll admit, I knew the Sox were done, but I still watched. Mac pissed me off with that crap, so I lost all respect for him as well.

paciorek1983
02-11-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't want Mac either. As much as I enjoy his afternoon show, I really don't realate the guy. If he were host, and if by the possibility the Sox are out of contention by mid-July, does he start whining about how he can't wait for football season to start? And,he's just too crabby for me.

Dave Wills was perfect fo the job, and I will miss him, except for that "Next" thing he did----I for one, hated that.

Someone mentioned Sweica, I think she has the same type of demeanor as Wills and would be a good fit.

Carmen has been mentioned as well. but how can he do Bulls and Sox pre and post. I don't think that could work either.

Who else could do it. It's got to be someone who's a Sox fan. How many eligible Sox fan media people are out there who could or would want to do this gig?:?:

SSN721
02-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Voted yes, but the more I think about it, have to say no to Danny Mac. Love MJH, but for godsakes him on pre and post would be like listening to Lip. I cant recall a moment he was ever happy with the Sox unless he wins his bets against Jerko and Harry or when the season is over.

Nellie_Fox
02-11-2005, 01:27 PM
The guy is no baseball fan. It was mentioned in passing above, but he regularly got under my skin because every year about mid-June he started the countdown of how many days were left "until they're in pads." All he cares about is football.

Stroker Ace
02-13-2005, 04:06 AM
I'ld love to hear Danny Mac do the pre and post game shows on WMVP.

Frankfan4life
02-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Give me Carmen. Mac's an opinionated blowhard. Yes, he's a Sox fan, but he rips the team as much as anyone. I can just see him call Jon Garland 'Judy" every time he pitches. If he does the pre and post, I don't think I'd listen.What he said.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-13-2005, 08:02 AM
I really don't care who MVP picks to replace Dave Wills. I only hope they fill the position with someone who is 100 percent in the Sox corner. The show is meant for Sox Fans and it needn't worry about reaching an audience beyond just Sox Fans. It seems simple enough, but station management could easily **** it up. If they do I won't be listening.

If Sox Fans want to rip on the team, let them tune in to that sportsblab ****house down the dial. Or tune into WGN. The choices for ripping, marginalizing, and/or ignoring the Sox in this town are infinite. Take your pick.

Leave one show just for Sox Fans.

DrCrawdad
02-13-2005, 08:14 AM
I really don't care who MVP picks to replace Dave Wills. I only hope they fill the position with someone who is 100 percent in the Sox corner. The show is meant for Sox Fans and it needn't worry about reaching an audience beyond just Sox Fans. It seems simple enough, but station management could easily **** it up. If they do I won't be listening.

If Sox Fans want to rip on the team, let them tune in to that sportsblab ****house down the dial. Or tune into WGN. The choices for ripping, marginalizing, and/or ignoring the Sox in this town are infinite. Take your pick.

Good points! Pre & post games should be completely the domain of White Sox. No need to be, or to even claim to be, "Fair & Balanced."

Brian26
02-13-2005, 10:04 AM

Gospel.

RedPinStripes
02-13-2005, 11:31 AM

How about the old SnR crew? We're professional. After the first loss we would be fired in mid broadcast for dropping F- bombs. lol

Fake Chet Lemon
02-13-2005, 10:42 PM
I would love to get Dan McNeil in the mix. If he canít do it every night, how about every HOME post game show from the bullpen bar? Iím sure heíd toss a few brews back with us, it would be fun. Heís got kids and all, I understand he canít do it all. You can tell he already puts a lot of work into his current show. Farmer and Rooney could do the road shows. They arenít my two favorites, but those home post game shows with DannyMac would make up for it. Plus heíd be more inclined to talk even more White Sox on MacJurkoHarry.

Lizard
02-15-2005, 10:16 AM

My vote is for Carmen!

Lizard
02-15-2005, 10:26 AM

He was such a homer. When he would fill in for Rooney or Farmer his game calling was great tough.

Your name says it all, WIMPY! You are definitely in the minority when you make comments like "over-optimism" & "not a realist". If there is anyone who is a realist, it's Willsy. He always told it like it was. Even if it didn't please everyone, such as yourself.

Gammons Peter
02-16-2005, 04:22 PM
I hope he doesnt get the Sox gig. His whole show is nothing but trivia contests

34 Inch Stick
02-17-2005, 06:47 AM
J Hood or Swieca would be fine by me.

Nellie_Fox
02-17-2005, 10:39 AM
J Hood or Swieca would be fine by me.I'll guarantee you that Hood would welcome Cubby-talk callers on the Sox post-game show.

Mohoney
02-17-2005, 10:48 AM
J Hood or Swieca would be fine by me.

:chunks

Cubbie Sweica?

Brian26
02-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Cubbie Sweica?

I think she's a huge Sox fan actually.

Sad
02-17-2005, 11:24 AM
she definitely is...

Jerko
02-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Sorry, I don't want anyone (Sweica) near the airwaves that defended Manuel to a caller once by saying "he must be doing something right because the rest of the people in Chicago aren't the White Sox manager". Good crisp baseball logic there. Go serve up some Bartman spaghetti sauce and stay off the air Jules. I guess that means Gary Bettman is doing a good job too because nobody else in New York is the NHL commissioner.

34 Inch Stick
02-17-2005, 01:47 PM
I'll guarantee you that Hood would welcome Cubby-talk callers on the Sox post-game show.

Why do you say that Nellie. He is unashemedly a Sox fan. When he did Sox postgames on the SCORE, he kept it exclusively Sox (same for his Cubs postgame).

By the way, does the SCORE pump out to Minnesota very often. I know Chet used to say 38 states and Canada but I thought that was just Chet hyperbole.

Nellie_Fox
02-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Why do you say that Nellie. He is unashemedly a Sox fan. When he did Sox postgames on the SCORE, he kept it exclusively Sox (same for his Cubs postgame).

By the way, does the SCORE pump out to Minnesota very often. I know Chet used to say 38 states and Canada but I thought that was just Chet hyperbole.Yes, I get the Score almost every night after dark, sometimes clearer than the Twin Cities stations.

J Hood might be a Sox fan, but I've heard him go off on rants when people call to rip on the Cubs. It seems that he can't stand the rivalry and is one of those "support both teams" guys. Wills would cut off anyone who wanted to talk Cubs, I just don't see Hood doing that.

CHISOXFAN13
02-17-2005, 06:22 PM
A friend of mine who works at the Score informed me yesterday that the White Sox are considering Moose Vasco for the position.

Take it for what it's worth.

Nellie_Fox
02-18-2005, 01:58 PM
A friend of mine who works at the Score informed me yesterday that the White Sox are considering Moose Vasco for the position.

Take it for what it's worth.Are you serious? Elmer "Moose" Vasko, the absolutely immobile Blackhawks defenseman from the 50's and 60's? Or are you talking about Moose Skowron?

CHISOXFAN13
02-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Are you serious? Elmer "Moose" Vasko, the absolutely immobile Blackhawks defenseman from the 50's and 60's? Or are you talking about Moose Skowron?

Moose Vasco is an update guy at the Score.

34 Inch Stick
02-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Dan Mc Neil has Matt Spiegel hosting with him today. I had forgotten about him but he would make an excellent pre and post game man. While he is not a White Sox guy (he may even be a Red Sox fan) he has a great knowledge of the game that he passes along without being condescending.

soxwon
02-18-2005, 10:46 PM

Take it for what it's worth.

what about gerry korab?

moose vasko has to be like 80

shbart
02-19-2005, 08:06 AM
I vote for Pat Dahl. Young un-jaded (is that a word?). Radio in his bloodlines and a WSI poster :wink: ....of course my second pick is Dr Crawdad (sorry about the teal DC)

TornLabrum
02-19-2005, 08:25 AM
I vote for Pat Dahl. Young un-jaded (is that a word?). Radio in his bloodlines and a WSI poster :wink: ....of course my second pick is Dr Crawdad (sorry about the teal DC)

I don't know if Pat Dahl is as big a Sox Fan as Dave Wills, but he is certainly a diehard, as we've seen here and heard from the on-air testimony of his dad. Of course he'd have to move back here from sunny SoCal, and that might be hard to give up.

SSN721
02-19-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't know if Pat Dahl is as big a Sox Fan as Dave Wills, but he is certainly a diehard, as we've seen here and heard from the on-air testimony of his dad. Of course he'd have to move back here from sunny SoCal, and that might be hard to give up.

How great can it be in SoCal? He probably misses the winters. :smile:

patbooyah
03-03-2005, 06:49 AM

so i realize that i am bringing this thread up two weeks after the last post-

but YEAH! let me do the pre/post game!

i was a huge fan of wills for the same reason that most people here were- he was a down to earth sox fan who really knew the team, but he also understood the jitters a fan would feel going into a three game series with say, the twins... i'll miss him.

unless of course i get to do it. :cool:

Gammons Peter
03-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Don't want him. Earlier this week he was wondering why it was taking so long to "paint" the seats green. Post game shows will be filled with Jurko vs Harry trivia games

chisox77
03-03-2005, 04:23 PM
How about Dan Bernstein? He's a Sox fan at heart, yet possesses the ability to be critical and professional. He is condescending, but at the same time, it is his trademark.

jabrch
03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
How about Dan Bernstein? He's a Sox fan at heart, yet possesses the ability to be critical and professional. He is condescending, but at the same time, it is his trademark.

No! A 30 min post game show would have 20 minutes of poopoo talk, 5 minutes of Dan talking about himself. And 5 minutes of Sox talk. I'll pass.

PINWHEELS
03-03-2005, 05:38 PM
How about Rich King. I think he would be excellent for the job. He grew up on the South Side as a Sox fan ,went to De LaSalle HS ,And Worked for the Sox in the early 80's.

ChiSox14305635
03-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Moose Vasco is an update guy at the Score.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Moose Vasco. For that fact, Laurence Holmes wouldn't be a bad candidate either. But no to JHood. If I heard another one of his shows where he "threatened" Sox fans with Cubs talk because no Sox fans would call in to the show, no thank you. He's decent with all the other teams, but pass on the pre & post.

Jjav829
03-03-2005, 05:56 PM
At this point, I'd just like to know who it is going to be. There are some choices I would prefer to others, but either way, just give us an answer. They probably won't even know by Opening Day with the way that station works. They still haven't even officially named the 9-12 crew.

Hell, they might go the whole season without naming a Sox pre/post game show host. :rolleyes:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Hell, they might go the whole season without naming a Sox pre/post game show host.

They could do worse than pick somebody from this board.
:wink:

Hangar18
03-03-2005, 06:16 PM

Hell, if everyone else is throwing their Hats in the Ring,
LET ME DO THE PRE/POST GAME SHOWS. I think I qualify
as being a huge sox fan .......not to mention I hate that other team :cool:

Hangar18
03-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Think of me as the Antidote to Mike Murphy

jvoboogie
03-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Elmer "Moose" Vasko, whats next Doug Mohns. How about Eric Nesterenko. While we're at it how about somebody from the Bulls, maybe Tom Boerwinkle isn't to busy. I can't listen to Macneil for more than ten minutes without changing stations. I agree, somebody from this site should get the job. Now that would be entertainment!

Ol' No. 2
03-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Hell, if everyone else is throwing their Hats in the Ring,
LET ME DO THE PRE/POST GAME SHOWS. I think I qualify
as being a huge sox fan .......not to mention I hate that other team :cool:It'll never work. The tinfoil hat interferes with the radio signal.:tongue:

chisox77
03-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, then how about me? I work cheap. And my source of information would WSI. It's a no brainer. White Sox pre and post-game - no problem! You can put it on the board . . .

Brian26
03-03-2005, 10:21 PM
How about Rich King. I think he would be excellent for the job. He grew up on the South Side as a Sox fan ,went to De LaSalle HS ,And Worked for the Sox in the early 80's.

Not a terrible choice at all. King has more credibility than most of the other losers on Chicago radio right now.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2005, 11:09 AM
It would be nice to have Rich but I don't think the radio station could pay him enough to get him to leave WGN-TV where he has worked since the early 90's.

Plus with the Sox radio deal up after this year (Teddy Greenstein has a column on this in Friday's Tribune), it may be had to get someone who is good to leave a more secure position somewhere else unless they get a guarantee about their future with the Sox pre and post game shows.

That may not be possible since no one knows where the rights are going to end up.

Lip

kevingrt
03-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Have to go with Carmen. He could be the pre and post game host of every team WMVP does. He does a great job conducting the pregame and finding guests and taking calls on the postgame game show.

He would have to learn how to do a rain delay though because Willis was exceptional at it.

But really Mac or Carmen is fine, just be a White Sox supporter, that's all I ask for WMVP

Ol' No. 2
03-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I think they should hire Moronotti. Imagine all the fun we'd have with him. I'd like to see him do one...just one post game show from the Bullpen Sports Bar.

TommyJohn
03-04-2005, 03:22 PM
:tomatoaward

ChiSoxGirl
03-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Have to go with Carmen. He could be the pre and post game host of every team WMVP does. He does a great job conducting the pregame and finding guests and taking calls on the postgame game show.

He would have to learn how to do a rain delay though because Willis was exceptional at it.

But really Mac or Carmen is fine, just be a White Sox supporter, that's all I ask for WMVP

I'm all over Carmen DeFalco for Sox pre & post! What better guy to represent Sox Nation on the radio than him? He's just as down-to-earth, friendly, and knowledgable about baseball and the Sox as Willsy was during his reign as Sox pre & post host. I could definitely see him conducting his own version of Rain Delay Theater and trading barbs with Bill Melton on the air. :smile:

My vote goes to Carmen! :D:

SowtSydePryde67
03-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I think they should hire Moronotti. Imagine all the fun we'd have with him. I'd like to see him do one...just one post game show from the Bullpen Sports Bar.

I can hear it now........
CPD 9th Dist. on citywide......
"10-1 at Sox Park!!!"

I can see it too!!.....
Moronotti tied to the pitching cage and line going all the way through the picnic area! I'll bring the $1 bills!!!

:b&b

Stroker Ace
03-06-2005, 03:17 PM

I can hear it now
Caller- 911, I would like to report that I found a dead body
911- Where is your location?
Caller- 35th and Shields

Ol' No. 2
03-06-2005, 04:03 PM
I can hear it now
Caller- 911, I would like to report that I found a dead body
911- Where is your location?
Caller- 35th and ShieldsNah. We wouldn't kill him. He might wake up the next morning with some unusual tatoos, though.:cool:

MARTINMVP
03-06-2005, 10:37 PM
First of all, I am a Cubs fan.

But I will be honest and say I Dave Wills is really good at what he does and even I will miss his work. I will still listen to the White Sox because I love baseball. And his postgame shows were great and kept a Cubs fan like me into it.

Having said that... Carmen would be a great choice for all of you.

I'd be willing to bet that PD Len Weiner is in turmoil here... obviously Carmen is the perfect choice for White Sox pre/post game duties... but at the same time, it seems like he will get the 9a-noon show with Silvy.

Should be interesting in the next month what the station decides.