PDA

View Full Version : Who would have thought?

02-09-2005, 03:33 PM
If someone told you in 2000 that by 2004 Parque, Sirotka, and Baldwin would be out of baseball (or out of the Majors) would you have believed them...especially Parque and Sirotka, such young talent.

RedPinStripes
02-09-2005, 03:37 PM
If someone told you in 2000 that by 2004 Parque, Sirotka, and Baldwin would be out of baseball (or out of the Majors) would you have believed them...especially Parque and Sirotka, such young talent.

I never bet on a pitcher being around more then 4 years. Especially the ones taught by The Labrum killer I mean Nardi.

Rush20
02-09-2005, 03:50 PM
As a lifelong White Sox fan, I think the word "talent" has been extremely over-used during the past 15 years.

The last true "talent" came from the Frank Thomas/Robin Ventura era. The other "talent" that has been hyped never materialized IMO. Crede, Borchard, Rouche, Garland, etc.

Rush20
02-09-2005, 03:51 PM
....however back to your post. Who would have "thunk it". :?:

RKMeibalane
02-09-2005, 04:16 PM
:nardi

"I am the greatest pitching coach of all time!"

jackbrohamer
02-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Out of the 2000 starting rotation's main 4, it's kind of shocking that Cal Eldred is the one that's still putting in significant time on a ML roster (67 innings each of the past 2 seasons)

hosieryofthegods
02-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Out of the 2000 starting rotation, it's kind of shocking that Cal Eldred is the one that's still putting in significant time on a ML roster (67 innings each of the past 2 seasons)

I was just thinking about that the other day. Good for him.:)

soxfan26
02-09-2005, 04:44 PM

Out of baseball? I'd have taken that bet. I would have though Sirotka and maybe even Parque, being southpaws, would have found a way to hang on somewhere.

As a lifelong White Sox fan, I think the word "talent" has been extremely over-used during the past 15 years.

:nod:

batmanZoSo
02-09-2005, 04:55 PM
I certainly wouldn't have bet on this. I thought Sirotka would be a decent pitcher for a long time, and he probably would have been without the injury. Baldwin and Parque were never very good except that one year, and they gave gutsy performances. Other than that they sucked. I would never predict a pitcher to be out of the game within a few years, but I'm not that suprised that they are.

BigFrankRetard
02-09-2005, 05:04 PM
:bandance: I certainly wouldn't have bet on this. I thought Sirotka would be a decent pitcher for a long time, and he probably would have been without the injury. Baldwin and Parque were never very good except that one year, and they gave gutsy performances. Other than that they sucked. I would never predict a pitcher to be out of the game within a few years, but I'm not that suprised that they are.

I agree about Sirotka, who I thought was going to have a relatively long, productive career. However, I wasn't as optimistic about Parque, who's lack of size and 89 MPH fastballs do not make for long MLB careers.