PDA

View Full Version : Tigers bolster bullpen

TheBull19
02-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Tigers acquired Kyle Farnsworth

http://info.detnews.com/tigersblog/ (http://info.detnews.com/tigersblog/)

This guy's up and down, but not a guy I'd look forward to hitting against if I were a sox player.

Also of note on that page, it says only 6 mil of the Ordonez contract is guaranteed - the Tigers get out of the 6 mil signing bonus if they take the "breakdown clause" and void the rest of his contract because its not payable until Nov. 1

Mickster
02-09-2005, 12:17 PM
This guy's up and down, but not a guy I'd look forward to hitting against if I were a sox player.

Especially if he could ever find the plate. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Tigers acquired Kyle Farnsworth

http://info.detnews.com/tigersblog/ (http://info.detnews.com/tigersblog/)

This guy's up and down, but not a guy I'd look forward to hitting against if I were a sox player.You don't have to hit against him. Just stand there and wait for the BB. But don't dig in.:o:

Flight #24
02-09-2005, 12:21 PM
You don't have to hit against him. Just stand there and wait for the BB. But don't dig in.:o:

So the Tigers now have guys with significant knee(Maggs), Shoulder (Percival), back(IRod), and head(Farns) issues......what's the next body part they're targeting?

Over By There
02-09-2005, 12:23 PM
The only thing that scares me about Farnsworth is if one of our guys charges the mound. Who was it that Farnsworth body-slammed last year or the year before?

We have a checkered history of charging the mound as it is!
:nolanventura

TheBull19
02-09-2005, 12:25 PM
You don't have to hit against him. Just stand there and wait for the BB. But don't dig in.:o:

He has struck out 10.7 batters per 9 over the last 2 years with a walk rate comparable to Marte - given the lack of depth in Tigers bullpen, that they didn't give up much to get him and that he should presumably benefit from pitching in Comerica, I'd have to say it was a good move by the Tigers.

And the not digging in part would be one the main reasons I wouldn't want to face him:D:

Nick@Nite
02-09-2005, 12:25 PM

... or wait for the 99mph fastball that goes straight as an arrow, right down broadway. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 12:27 PM
He has struck out 10.7 batters per 9 over the last 2 years with a walk rate comparable to Marte - given the lack of depth in Tigers bullpen, that they didn't give up much to get him and that he should presumably benefit from pitching in Comerica, I'd have to say it was a good move by the TigersYou're looking at averages. Farnsworth is a Jeckyll and Hyde pitcher. Either you can't touch him and he strikes out the side or he's beaning the bull.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 12:27 PM
In positive news for the City of Detroit, the forecast for liquor sales is supposed to quadruple this summer.

TheBull19
02-09-2005, 12:31 PM
You're looking at averages. Farnsworth is a Jeckyll and Hyde pitcher. Either you can't touch him and he strikes out the side or he's beaning the bull.

That's true, but its still better than what the Tigers have at the bottom of their bullpen, so its a good move for them.

mjharrison72
02-09-2005, 12:32 PM
In positive news for the City of Detroit, the forecast for liquor sales is supposed to quadruple this summer.
:?:
Do you mean Farnsworth is going to drive them to drinking?
They lost 120 games two seasons ago... I think liquor sales have stabilized.

Mickster
02-09-2005, 12:33 PM
:?:
Do you mean Farnsworth is going to drive them to drinking?
They lost 120 games two seasons ago... I think liquor sales have stabilized.

No, I think he means that Kyle is known to have a bit of a drinking problem.

HomeFish
02-09-2005, 12:34 PM
The Tigers are looking good for '05. If everyone stays (gets?) healthy, they should be very competitive for the division.

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
No, I think he means that Kyle is known to have a bit of a drinking problem.I wonder if they'd be interested in Bobby Jenks. He and Farns would make a hell of a pair.:o:

balke
02-09-2005, 12:37 PM
That's crazy though, farns, Urbina, Percival. I'd take it. They have officially become contenders.

I hope Maggs breaks again, or pudge sucks cause he quit the juice.

I am especially proud to know that Canseco played for the Sox, but it seems so far he had no sox names to drop.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 12:38 PM

Bingo.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 12:40 PM
I am especially proud to know that Canseco played for the Sox, but it seems so far he had no sox names to drop.

Amazon has that book on pre-order for 34% off. Might be worth the price just for the fun gossip factor.

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 12:43 PM
The Tigers are looking good for '05. If everyone stays (gets?) healthy, they should be very competitive for the division.You've gone over the top on this one. If the Sox had the same team as the Tigers you'd be picking them for last place in the International League.:o:

hold2dibber
02-09-2005, 12:45 PM
That's crazy though, farns, Urbina, Percival. I'd take it. They have officially become contenders.

I don't think so. They have a lousy rotation and, even with Maggs, a relatively weak line-up. They have some young guys with potential, but if I'm a Tiger fan, I'm just hoping for .500-ish.

balke
02-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't think so. They have a lousy rotation and, even with Maggs, a relatively weak line-up. They have some young guys with potential, but if I'm a Tiger fan, I'm just hoping for .500-ish.

Sadly, it's a .500 kind of division.

Baby Fisk
02-09-2005, 12:48 PM
The Tigers are looking good for '05. If everyone stays (gets?) healthy, they should be very competitive for the division.
You are a very ridiculous person. If you visit the Tigers board you would see that even TIGER FANS would be thrilled if their team finished at .500 this year. Seriously, go to the Tigers board and stay there. They would welcome your enthusiasm.

TheBull19
02-09-2005, 12:57 PM

I agree their rotation is questionable, as is their bullpen still, but they've got a pretty good lineup - considering they're mostly young, finished in 5th in BA, HRs, and SLG playing in Comerica and added Ordonez. I still doubt they'll win more than 80 games at best, probably 73-78. Still, though, the AL Central is pretty ripe for the taking for about anyone other than KC.

kittle42
02-09-2005, 01:07 PM
HomeFish makes Lip look like a Sox Kool-Aid addict.

chisox2005
02-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know anything about the prospects the Cubs got in return?

TheBull19
02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
According to that site the Tigers also signed Jason Grilli -

Tekijawa
02-09-2005, 01:35 PM
So the Tigers now have guys with significant knee(Maggs), Shoulder (Percival), back(IRod), and head(Farns) issues......what's the next body part they're targeting?

Well Jose Lima is with the Royals, so they'd have to trade to take care of that part!:o:

chaz171
02-09-2005, 01:35 PM

They can sign john bobbett...... that would get that part of the body out of the way.....

TheBull19
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Scott Moore(3b) seems to be a highly regarded draft pick who has stunk up the lower levels, but he's only 21.

2002 DETR 40 133 18 39 6 2 4 25 10 31 1 2 0 3 .293
2003 DET A 107 372 40 89 16 6 6 45 41 110 2 4 0 1 .239
2004 LAK A+ 118 391 52 87 13 4 14 56 49 125 2 4 0 3 .223

Looks a lot like Konerko, incidentally.
http://www.tigerscentral.com/players.php?pnum=20851

Flight #24
02-09-2005, 02:04 PM

From Rotoworld:
Roberto Novoa (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=7389) - R - CHC (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&majteam=CHC)

Cubs acquired RHP Roberto Novoa, INF Scott Moore and OF Bo Flowers from the Tigers for RHP Kyle Farnsworth.
As with Sosa, it's clear that GM Jim Hendry was just kidding around when he said he could keep Farnsworth. Novoa has a chance to be pretty good, but this wasn't a trade a contender should have made. Novoa throws in the low-90s with movement and has a useful curveball. He may emerge as a setup man after spending a couple of years as a middle reliever. The Cubs could carry Todd Wellemeyer and Mike Wuertz over him at the start of the year. Feb. 9 - 2:24 pm et

Scott Moore (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=9079) - SS - Cubs (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?sport=MLB&majteam=CHC)

Infielder Scott Moore and outfielder Bo Flowers were traded from the Tigers to the Cubs in the Kyle Farnsworth deal.
Moore has been a bust since being taken eighth overall in the 2002 draft. The 21-year-old hit just .223/.322/.384 for Single-A Lakeland last season. He'll probably repeat in the Florida State League this year. Flowers, who like Moore was born in Nov. 1983, hit .280/.341/.407 for short-season Single-A Oneonta. He's another player unlikely to reach the majors with the Cubs. Feb. 9 - 2:19 pm et

Jjav829
02-09-2005, 02:10 PM
There's the missing piece the Tigers need to contend.

Dombrowski just made Konerko's day. Somewhere Paulie is sitting and smiling at the thought of facing Farnsworth out of the Tigers pen 19 times. I can't wait to see Paulie step into the box to face Farnsworth. :D:

Nick@Nite
02-09-2005, 02:13 PM
From Rotoworld:
Roberto Novoa (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=7389) - RHP
Scott Moore (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=9079) - SS

They could be the next Cy Young & Cal Ripken.

maurice
02-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I can't wait to see Paulie step into the box to face Farnsworth. :D:

:walnuts
"I eat straight, high-90s fastballs for lunch and **** out HRs."

FightingBillini
I hope Maggs breaks again, or pudge sucks cause he quit the juice.

Thats absolute BS. Pudge was never ON the juice. Canseco is a piece of garbage who wrote a book filled with lies (and possibly some truth) because he needs the money! Not because he wanted to let everyone know the truth. He came up with the biggest names that he ever played with, and said they all did steroids. When people hear BIG names, they are shocked, and want to read the book. When people hear little names, they dont care. Do you think anyone would buy a book because it talked about Lyle Mouton doing steroids?

Its lies made to sell. Like how he pointed out that "Bush had to have known." He didnt mention any of the other managing partners who were much closer to the team, he just mentioned Bush because it helps get headlines. Pudge has never been a power hitter, he never put on 50lbs of muscle. Canseco is a slimeball who would sell his own mother to make money.

spawn
The Tigers can start printing their World Series tickets now!!!

jackbrohamer
02-09-2005, 02:32 PM
... or wait for the 99mph fastball that goes straight as an arrow, right down broadway. :cool:

More likely to get the crappy breaking ball, which he liked to throw more than the heat last season.

Jjav829
02-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Thats absolute BS. Pudge was never ON the juice. Canseco is a piece of garbage who wrote a book filled with lies (and possibly some truth) because he needs the money! Not because he wanted to let everyone know the truth. He came up with the biggest names that he ever played with, and said they all did steroids. When people hear BIG names, they are shocked, and want to read the book. When people hear little names, they dont care. Do you think anyone would buy a book because it talked about Lyle Mouton doing steroids?

Its lies made to sell. Like how he pointed out that "Bush had to have known." He didnt mention any of the other managing partners who were much closer to the team, he just mentioned Bush because it helps get headlines. Pudge has never been a power hitter, he never put on 50lbs of muscle. Canseco is a slimeball who would sell his own mother to make money.

So I assume Pudge will be pursuing the libel charges any day now, right? I mean if he's truly innocent, he can't just let this stand. He has to go hard after Canseco in court and let the attorneys do all their digging on both players backgrounds. If Pudge is truly innocent, then this surely won't be a problem. So I'm assuming that Pudge will be picking up a copy of the book on Monday and letting his lawyers know that he wishes to pursue these charges.

I won't be holding my breath on that happening anytime soon...

Nick@Nite
02-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Canseco is a slimeball who would sell his own mother to make money.

Would? He's already sold her, too.

MLB players have been using/abusing illegal drugs for many years. I would guess steroids have been in MLB since the early 80s.

A ball player doesn't have to have a bodybuilder's physique to be on 'roids. That misconception is exactly what players who juice, along with everyone else with a vested interest, want the general public to believe;

Juiced ball player: "me, steroids? What are you talking about, I train my ass off and utilize cutting edge nutrition. Besides, I'm 6'3", 205lbs. It's not like I'm a 250lbs 'roid monster."
Generic MLB fan [or Flubbie Fan]: "He doesn't look big enough to be on steroids. **drops cell phone while the game is on** The program here says he is, 6'0", 190lbs."

These guys will do anything to get the proverbial edge, imo.

JUribe1989
02-09-2005, 03:48 PM
This is so awesome! We get to kill him all the time now!

FightingBillini
02-09-2005, 03:54 PM
So I assume Pudge will be pursuing the libel charges any day now, right? I mean if he's truly innocent, he can't just let this stand. He has to go hard after Canseco in court and let the attorneys do all their digging on both players backgrounds. If Pudge is truly innocent, then this surely won't be a problem. So I'm assuming that Pudge will be picking up a copy of the book on Monday and letting his lawyers know that he wishes to pursue these charges.

I won't be holding my breath on that happening anytime soon...

No, because it is hearsay. There can be no complete evidence that Pudge never actually took steroids or not. Because of that, there is no proof that Canseco is lying, and that he committed libel. Also, libel by it's meaning requires the intent to destroy the character of another. Unless it is shown that Jose had a personal vendetta against Pudge, then that cant be the case. Canseco didnt write the book to destroy Rodriquez, he wrote it to make a quick buck.

MUsoxfan
02-09-2005, 04:01 PM
No, because it is hearsay. There can be no complete evidence that Pudge never actually took steroids or not. Because of that, there is no proof that Canseco is lying, and that he committed libel. Also, libel by it's meaning requires the intent to destroy the character of another. Unless it is shown that Jose had a personal vendetta against Pudge, then that cant be the case. Canseco didnt write the book to destroy Rodriquez, he wrote it to make a quick buck.

Wouldn't there be witnesses? I'm sure Canseco wasn't the only guy that saw this. So if Canseco said Player A also saw Ivan shoot up 'roids, wouldn't Player A be able to be called to the stand to say he never saw any such thing? (IF indeed Ivan is innocent)

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Wouldn't there be witnesses? I'm sure Canseco wasn't the only guy that saw this. So if Canseco said Player A also saw Ivan shoot up 'roids, wouldn't Player A be able to be called to the stand to say he never saw any such thing? (IF indeed Ivan is innocent)Unless you believe these guys were shooting up in the clubhouse john and nobody else on the team knew :o: then of course there would be witnesses. But Canseco getting them to testify on his behalf is something else altogether. And if he did see it, I doubt he'd be willing to perjure himself to testify for a plaintiff.

Libel lawsuits can be tricky things. Sometimes all you do is call more attention to it than if you just ignored it and let it die.

williefan22
02-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Rotoworld seems to be forgetting one of the players in the deal. The other minor leaguer they got is Bo Flowers. I got a chance to play against him in high school for 3 years and he is a flat out stud. Has one of the strongest arms I have ever seen and can fly. Also has a pretty decent swing. Hit a bomb off of our pitcher 400ft to opposite field. He was offered a full ride to Arizona State to play baseball but opted to sign with the Tigers. Too bad I'll have to root for him if he makes it to the big leagues

jackbrohamer
02-09-2005, 04:38 PM

It isn't hearsay if Canseco claims he actually observed Rodriguez taking steroids; it would be his word against Rodriguez's but it isn't hearsay. But you're right, because Rodriguez is a well-known public figure he would have to prove actual malice on the part of Canseco if he wants to sue him for libel, which is extremely difficult to prove even if there is actual malice.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2005, 05:45 PM
A couple comments:

1. It appears the Cubs are serious about getting rid of all their bad eggs.

2. Detroit may have done this as an insurance policy. Urbina's mother still hasn't been found...perhaps his status for the season is in doubt.

3. I'd assume if Urbina does pitch this year he and Farnsworth will set up Percival. On paper that's certainly not a bad bullpen.

Lip

fquaye149
02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
A couple comments:

2. Detroit may have done this as an insurance policy. Urbina's mother still hasn't been found...perhaps his status for the season is in doubt.

3. I'd assume if Urbina does pitch this year he and Farnsworth will set up Percival. On paper that's certainly not a bad bullpen.

Lip

it's a great big 3 in the bullpen. But bullpens don't WIN games. They just make sure games already won aren't lost. Especially when your only really good relievers are back end relievers.

rdivaldi
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
it's a great big 3 in the bullpen.

I wouldn't say it's a "great" back 3. Percival is getting old and has been suffering from some back problems. Urbina and Farnsworth didn't exactly light up opposing batters in 2004 either. It's definitely an improvement, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Foulke You
02-09-2005, 06:34 PM
For the record. Here are his splits vs the White Sox for the last 3 seasons:

8.59 E.R.A. (OW-OL)

8 Hits, 7 Runs (All Earned), 5BB, 2HR, White Sox batted .276 against him

I know it is a small sampling size but I seem to remember the Sox knocking him around pretty good during the last few crosstown series.

Shorty1983
02-09-2005, 07:40 PM
http://www.goshennews.com/news/files/2003/6/6-20-2003/sports.jpg

What if? Naw, he wouldn't dare try this with us.

mjharrison72
02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Like I said, after coming off their 11th straight losing season, liquor sales have probably stabilized, but I guess I was unawares of Farnsworth's penchant for Granddad's cough syrup.
-M

Jabroni
02-09-2005, 09:53 PM
For the record. Here are his splits vs the White Sox for the last 3 seasons:

8.59 E.R.A. (OW-OL)

8 Hits, 7 Runs (All Earned), 5BB, 2HR, White Sox batted .276 against him

I know it is a small sampling size but I seem to remember the Sox knocking him around pretty good during the last few crosstown series.Here are Farnsworth's career numbers against the White Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6210/splits?year=career&type=Pitching):

9 Games
10.2 IP
5.91 ERA
1.22 WHIP
.205 BAA
2 HR
12 K
5 BB

Frankfan4life
02-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Rotoworld seems to be forgetting one of the players in the deal. The other minor leaguer they got is Bo Flowers. I got a chance to play against him in high school for 3 years and he is a flat out stud. Has one of the strongest arms I have ever seen and can fly. Also has a pretty decent swing. Hit a bomb off of our pitcher 400ft to opposite field. He was offered a full ride to Arizona State to play baseball but opted to sign with the Tigers. Too bad I'll have to root for him if he makes it to the big leaguesHey,:welcome: to WSI williefan! Great first post. Good to have someone aboard with some baseball experience. I'm sorry to hear that the cubs got such a good pick up. I understand you have to root for him but I gotta hope he turns out to be a bust.

champagne030
02-10-2005, 01:49 AM

and the sox have significant ankle(frank), shoulder(duke), head (judy and contreras) and pretty much any body part you want to pick between carl and dye issues......i'm not trying to start something, BUT....i think our health is the key to the season.

ChiWhiteSox1337
02-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Here are Farnsworth's career numbers against the White Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6210/splits?year=career&type=Pitching):

9 Games
10.2 IP
5.91 ERA
1.22 WHIP
.205 BAA
2 HR
12 K
5 BB
I'm salivating over the thought of the White Sox potentially facing Farnsworth in 18 games this upcoming season..:drool:

santo=dorf
02-10-2005, 02:04 AM
A couple comments:

Lip
1. Dusty Baker is still the manager, but they are ridding themselves of all the troublemaking players (Mercker, Alou, Sosa, Farns.)

2. Ozzie said regardless of what happens with his mother, Urbina will be ready fort ST.

3. Percival used to be good, and Urbina wasn't that good with the Tigers last season. Take a look at the Tigers pitching staff's numbers on the road from last season.

Maroth: 5-10 5.26 ERA 1.52 WHIP
Bonderman: 7-7 4.76 ERA 1.26 WHIP
Robertson: 6-3 4.58 ERA 1.36 WHIP
Johnson: 4-5 4.14 ERA 1.32 WHIP
Knotts: 2-4 5.25 ERA 1.64 WHIP
Walker: 4.55 ERA 1.48 WHIP
Ledezma: 3.95 ERA 1.35 WHIP
Urbina: 5.33 ERA 1.50 WHIP
Patterson: 5.00 ERA 1.28 WHIP

Percival had his worst season since 2000 due to velocity loss on his fastball. He had a 1.25 WHIP, (33 K's in 49.2IP and he's getting $6 ****ing million!!!)and opponents had a .308 OBP against him.

Hangar18
02-10-2005, 07:28 AM
I am NEVER surprised anymore, to see Jim Hendry get rid of bad ballplayers
and get things in return. The guy is a magician. He is a Master at trading
players hes already used (and for the most part, theyve failed) and able to NOT get rid of A Single one of their "prized" prospects. Unbelievable.

Funny to note today, I hear the news reporting that Farnsworth had kicked
a Fan after a bitter loss, implying that he was not a good person and putting the best SPIN possible on this trade. Isnt it funny how the media doesnt
report this stuff when it happens?

Jabroni
02-10-2005, 07:47 AM
I am NEVER surprised anymore, to see Jim Hendry get rid of bad ballplayers
and get things in return. The guy is a magician. He is a Master at trading
players hes already used (and for the most part, theyve failed) and able to NOT get rid of A Single one of their "prized" prospects. Unbelievable.

Funny to note today, I hear the news reporting that Farnsworth had kicked
a Fan after a bitter loss, implying that he was not a good person and putting the best SPIN possible on this trade. Isnt it funny how the media doesnt
report this stuff when it happens?None of the 3 prospects that Hendry got for Farnsworth are really any good. Novoa is the only one that has some upside and the other two may never see the majors.

34 Inch Stick
02-10-2005, 07:47 AM
The guy missed a critical point at the end of the season. The fan kicking story was reported everywhere.

flo-B-flo
02-12-2005, 04:20 PM
... or wait for the 99mph fastball that goes straight as an arrow, right down broadway. :cool: And as my cousin said when we faced one of the biggest twelve year old fireballing pitchers in little league history: 'The faster the farther'.

BRDSR
02-12-2005, 04:28 PM
The only thing that scares me about Farnsworth is if one of our guys charges the mound. Who was it that Farnsworth body-slammed last year or the year before?

We have a checkered history of charging the mound as it is!
:nolanventura

It was a Reds player. For some reason I want to say Sean Casey, but he seems to big for Farnsworth to flatten the way he did. Either way, that tackle was by far the coolest thing I've ever seen come out of the Cubs organization. I guess it tops a list of...well, one.

Jabroni
02-12-2005, 05:08 PM
It was a Reds player. For some reason I want to say Sean Casey, but he seems to big for Farnsworth to flatten the way he did. Either way, that tackle was by far the coolest thing I've ever seen come out of the Cubs organization. I guess it tops a list of...well, one.It was Reds' starting pitcher, Paul Wilson (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=124417).

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2003/06/21/20030620211851.jpeg

flo-B-flo
02-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Either way, that tackle was by far the coolest thing I've ever seen come out of the Cubs organization. I guess it tops a list of...well, one. Well said......written.:smile: That was an excellent takedown. And for me right next to the game six choke as one of my favorite things C---.

SoxSpeed22
02-12-2005, 10:51 PM
It was Reds' starting pitcher, Paul Wilson (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=124417).

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2003/06/21/20030620211851.jpegFarns really ****ed him up, that was a fun day.