PDA

View Full Version : WSI mention on Carmen & Silvy

MUsoxfan
02-09-2005, 12:21 PM
During the "midday show" today on ESPN 1000, Silvy read an email from someone that "saw news of Wills' departure on Whitesoxinteractive.com" and wanted to know if Carmen DiFalco was gonna replace him or if they knew who is going to replace him. Silvy responded by saying that there are "many openings at this station" and that nothing has been sorted out. Carmen said that he would indeed be interested in the position, but that nothing has been said.

Over By There
02-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Interesting. Carmen seems a logical choice given his Bulls experience and his allegiance to the Sox. However, he doesn't seem to bring the passion/fire to the Bulls broadcasts that Dave did to the Sox pre/post. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe it's a bad thing. Either way, I think we're going to get a very different pre/post than we were used to with DW.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Either way, I think we're going to get a very different pre/post than we were used to with DW.

Meaning, most likely, it won't be as good as with Willsy.

Let's throw a crazy name into the race:

What's Chet Coppock doing nowadays?

Over By There
02-09-2005, 01:20 PM

Yes, that's how it feels to me too, but I'm willing to give the next guy a chance.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Yes, that's how it feels to me too, but I'm willing to give the next guy a chance.

I have to say- Julie Swieca is an interesting thought. It would definitely be something different.

Foulke You
02-09-2005, 02:38 PM
How about Jay Mariotti? I hear he really connects with Sox fans.:tongue:

SOXintheBURGH
02-09-2005, 02:40 PM
How about Jay Mariotti? I hear he really connects with Sox fans.:tongue:

Anyone catch Around the Horn yesterday?? Mariotti was aweful.

Statboy cuts Woody Paige and gives him a good ol' "He Gone!"

Mariotti in a pouty voice - "Don't say that!"

RedPinStripes
02-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I have to say- Julie Swieca is an interesting thought. It would definitely be something different.

I wonder if she would be as out spoken if she was working for the flagship station? I thought her Sox coverage was great on the score.

I remember one quote by her after Manuel tinkered with the lineup and bullpen for no reason and the Sox blew a few games over it. You can hear the croud boo-ing and Julie said something to the effect of "Piss poor bullpen mgt by Manuel takes the Sox out of another important game" .

LOL! Why do i get the feeling that wouldnt be tolerated on wmvp?

GiveMeSox
02-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Anyone catch Around the Horn yesterday?? Mariotti was aweful.

Statboy cuts Woody Paige and gives him a good ol' "He Gone!"

Mariotti in a pouty voice - "Don't say that!"

Yeah I saw that I thought it was hilarious. I just confirms my belief that these catchy little "Hawkisms" appeal to more than just sox fans and are known by a lot more people.

jabrch
02-09-2005, 03:50 PM

I liked DW...but I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there who can do a VERY GOOD pre and post game show. I really like Wills, but he is not irreplaceable.

34 Inch Stick
02-09-2005, 04:17 PM
The Swieca comment is an interesting choice. She is a passionate Sox fan who is a reporter at heart. That position is a Sox hire not an MVP hire and JR is particularly mindfull about diversity in his workplace.

I like the thinking but I imagine she has completely fallen off of everyone's radar screen by quitting the SCORE.

rmusacch
02-09-2005, 05:01 PM

I know that he has a show on the weekends (may be more) on Sporting News Radio called Coppock on Sports. It is national as we used to get it down in Memphis.

shoota
02-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I liked Wilsy for his pro-Sox attitude, but he was a cliche churning machine. No doubt about it.

I like Sweica but not as the Sox pre and post-game host. In that type of role, I prefer someone who played the MLB game. My vote goes for Bill Melton. He gives quality, honest analysis of the Sox baseball team. I really appreciated his dissection of the Sox team near the conclusion of the underachieving 2003 season.

The Wunsch
02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
they also mentioned WSI this afternoon..

Mac wants the job part time

Wimpy
02-09-2005, 05:35 PM
I love Julie Sweica's passion for the Sox, and she doesn't kiss the sox's @** the way Wills did. If the Sox had a bad game she would say it. I do not think they would hire a women for the job tough.

BRDSR
02-09-2005, 06:04 PM

I love the idea of Mac filling that role but I don't particularly like the idea of his filling it "part time." Who would do it the other part of the time? Carmen maybe? But if closer by committee doesn't work well, why should pre-post game by committee? It seems like you need a guy to work all 162 so he can get a schtick going with the fanbase. Mac would be awesome but I doubt he could do each game. Carmen seems logical to me.

MrRoboto83
02-09-2005, 09:42 PM
My vote goes for Jimmy Shorts. He would be perfect for all the flub callers that call in to our broadcasts

Palehose13
02-09-2005, 11:04 PM
I love Julie Sweica's passion for the Sox, and she doesn't kiss the sox's @** the way Wills did. If the Sox had a bad game she would say it. I do not think they would hire a women for the job tough.

I also like the Sweica idea. However, I do hope that we are past the caveman era and won't refuse to hire a particular person as a sports broadcaster because the person has ovaries.

TornLabrum
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
My vote goes for Jimmy Shorts. He would be perfect for all the flub callers that call in to our broadcasts

Shorts is an employee of Viacom. AFAIK he is under a long-term deal.

Brian26
02-09-2005, 11:44 PM

LOL!

tacosalbarojas
02-10-2005, 12:04 AM
I love the idea of Mac filling that role but I don't particularly like the idea of his filling it "part time." Who would do it the other part of the time? Carmen maybe? But if closer by committee doesn't work well, why should pre-post game by committee? It seems like you need a guy to work all 162 so he can get a schtick going with the fanbase. Mac would be awesome but I doubt he could do each game. Carmen seems logical to me.
You know, if he really wanted to, I bet Mac could do all the games, or almost all of them. He'd have to make a "commitment to excellence" (veteran Mac listeners out there caught that!), but I think it could work. It actually might be a bit more natural intro to the show during weekday day games. C'mon Mac, get us some ratins'!

MUsoxfan
02-10-2005, 12:15 AM

Shorts is a personal friend of mine and he made it perfectly clear to me that he would leave Kev's show if the Sox opportunity opened up for him:D:

champagne030
02-10-2005, 12:27 AM

it was also suggested that carmen and silvy will be announced as the new morning (or whatever they call the 9-12 slot) crew when silvy returns from his 'vacation' that he'll be taking next week.

TornLabrum
02-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Shorts is a personal friend of mine and he made it perfectly clear to me that he would leave Kev's show if the Sox opportunity opened up for him:D:

Mel Karmazin might have something to say about that! :D: