PDA

View Full Version : These are my worries about the 2005 Sox

02-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Although I am very excited for the upcoming seasons, in a recent discussion on a Western Ave Bar, my friend and I talked about how the White Sox have no givens on the team....the one player or one pitcher you don't have to worry about..you know they are going to produce and have a solid year....A-Rod, Pujhols, Manny Rameriez, Big Unit, Jeter, ect....Championships teams have that "given" player....White Sox are loaded with "Well if he's" and "If he can just's" this is my outlook on the What Ifs

Pods- Was he a one year wonder in 2003, Was there a reason he was a 9 year minor leaguer?

Iguchi- The name says it all...can he play in the USA

Dye- Classic case of "Well if he". The best palyer in the AL in a few years ago needs to prove his worth again, and stay healthy

Frank/Carl- Can both of these guys come back from injuries and be in shape and produce like we know they can?

Paulie- The end of 2002 and the whole 2003 seasons stays in our minds

Rowand- Can he do it again? Can he avoid the slow start? With all these games against the AL central in April, he can't afford a slow start

AJ- Can he stay out of the corner?

Uribe- Like Rowand, can he do it again? Can he avoid the cold streak he had in the crucial months last year?

Crede- Do I even need to say it?

Buherle- Closest thing we have to a given, but the first half of 2003 looms out there...if he got off to a better start that year, we may have very well won the central

Garcia- Lets face it, he is talented, but his numbers haven't been lights out the last couple years.

Contreras/El Duque/Garland- Well we all know about these possible problems

Shingo- Has that frisbee turned into a beach ball?

I hate to sound negative and I hope this all comes together because if it does, we are out for one helluva summer...but these are the things that I worry about as a realistic fan.

Mickster
02-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Please change the title of the thread to "These are my worries about the 2005 Sox". ......not that I'm the grammar police. :cool:

Bucky F. Dent
02-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I've got one principle concern this year. The pitching of the Contreras and Hernandez. The success or failure of the Sox this season will largely rely on their production.

We'll get runs from the speedsters and the power of Konerko, Everett, and Thomas. What we'll need is consistent starting pitching!

spawn
02-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Contreras and E-Duque worry me as well, and, to a smaller extent, Garcia. Will he make the adjustment to pitching in a hitter's ballpark? The offense I'm not overly concerned with. If the pitching holds up and the defense is there, the offense will take care of itself.

mweflen
02-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Hmm. I wish there were some sort of graphic which would indicate that all of these things have been talked to death over the past 2 months or so. :rolleyes:

Who isn't worried about this stuff?

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
I've got one principle concern this year. The pitching of the Contreras and Hernandez. The success or failure of the Sox this season will largely rely on their production.

We'll get runs from the speedsters and the power of Konerko, Everett, and Thomas. What we'll need is consistent starting pitching!I'm mostly concerned about the Cubans as well. But Contreras had a terrible year in 2004 and still managed to win 13 games. If the Sox needed him to win 20 they'd be in trouble, but IMO, they just need him to be in the 13-15 range. It seems to me unlikely he'll get worse than last year, and certainly it's more likely he'll rebound to come closer to his 2003 production than get worse.

As for Hernandez, they don't need 20 wins from him, either. If he can manage 14-15, that should be enough. He has the ability to get that many wins even if he doesn't get 30+ starts. I'd rather see Ozzie limit his IP to have him strong for October.

And...:welcome:

AZChiSoxFan
02-09-2005, 12:45 PM

We'll get runs from the speedsters and the power of Konerko, Everett, and Thomas. What we'll need is consistent starting pitching!

:welcome:

02-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Hmm. I wish there were some sort of graphic which would indicate that all of these things have been talked to death over the past 2 months or so. :rolleyes:

Who isn't worried about this stuff?

Hey then go on to the next post!

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2005, 01:12 PM

Who isn't worried about this stuff?We need some real baseball, and soon.

LVSoxFan
02-09-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm not worried. I'd rather take a bold step and remake the team then... then what? What is a sure thing? About the only "sure things" are teams like the Yankees and Red Sox, or the Braves. But we don't have the payroll to buy sure things, and even the Yankees monster payroll... well, you know what happened. The Cardinals, too. Best team in baseball all year and they get swept in the Series.

The big "what if" here is how they all gel. We had a team with Frank, Paulie, Magglio last year that could shower the bleachers with homers, but I never felt like we played like a team. It was sort of a mix and match of scrubs, question marks and A-listers.

I think Crede's the big question mark, as does my baseball nut friend. Even if he has another famine year we could still do it, but that's who my eye is on.

gosox41
02-09-2005, 01:31 PM

I'll give Contreras the benefit of the doubt though I was hardly impressed by him last season. He's a guy with a $10 mill. arm and a 5 cent brain. Hopefully he can become coachable because if this guy pitches as well as scouts say he can (#1 or #2 starter type of stuff) then the Sox should win the division. If he sucks like he did last year then it's going to make it tough.

Bob

Chicago83
02-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Have the Twins had a "given" player the last three years? You don't need a star to win, you need a good team and hopefully that is what we have.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-09-2005, 02:02 PM
I see only one if on this team. If the team remains healthy, it should win the division. When healthy, good pitchers perform well, and good hitters get on base and drive on runs. The Sox have good pitchers and hitters.

02-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Have the Twins had a "given" player the last three years? You don't need a star to win, you need a good team and hopefully that is what we have.

You can make an argument for Radke and Hunter, they just have always come thru season after season, but I can see your point. Maggs was our given player in years past...until he got hurt...you always knew what you were going to get with him.

ja1022
02-09-2005, 02:37 PM
We need some real baseball, and soon.

Absolutely. Without the games, every day I think about it I have different keys or concerns come to mind. Pitching is always key; that's a given. Last week I thought one of the keys was the outfield in general, the corners in particular. Today, one of my concerns would be the closer. I think it was Ol' No. 2 who introduced the "oh ****" scale, and when Shingo comes in I can't help it, I still think, "Oh ****, buckle up." I think it's the whole frisbee thing. It just looks like even I should be able to hit the damn thing. I hope the league doesn't start to lay off the frisbee off the plate and start to tee off on his pitches over the plate. Maybe Kenny should package Harris and Borchard for Gagne.

Hangar18
02-09-2005, 05:31 PM
My only Worry is that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR NEW GUYS
Will have to do well, for the moves to have made sense.
If Everyone does well, but Contreras does horribly= We do bad.
The pitching Really needs to be there. If Iguchi does bad,
we have Harris as a fallback (which isnt that bad) Same
with Dye (everett). The starting pitchers we really dont.

That said, we have a Better chance this time around with our
staff than with a Staff that features Garland at no. 3, Danny Wright at no.4
and MinorLeaguer at no.5 Still cant believe we went into
the 04 season with a staff like this ......

Whitesox029
02-09-2005, 07:29 PM

It doesn't stay in my mind. 2004 stays in my mind.
IMO we have two givens, Buehrle and PK. The former is a workhorse and only very rarely has a very bad start, and the latter is a natural hitter who goes through ups and downs like any other natural hitter sometimes does.

Cowhead418
02-09-2005, 09:42 PM

Buherle- Closest thing we have to a given, but the first half of 2003 looms out there...if he got off to a better start that year, we may have very well won the central

I think Buehrle and Paulie are the only ones who have no questions. Look at PK's career stats, 2003 was the fluke year, not 2004. Buehrle has been one of the most consistent pitchers in the AL in his career so how does he have any questions? Wow, he got off to a bad start in '03, we might as well trade him now because it doesn't matter that he has been extremely consistent and he's only 26.

chisoxmike
02-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Although I am very excited for the upcoming seasons, in a recent discussion on a Western Ave Bar, my friend and I talked about how the White Sox have no givens on the team....the one player or one pitcher you don't have to worry about..you know they are going to produce and have a solid year....A-Rod, Pujhols, Manny Rameriez, Big Unit, Jeter, ect....Championships teams have that "given" player....White Sox are loaded with "Well if he's" and "If he can just's" this is my outlook on the What Ifs

Pods- Was he a one year wonder in 2003, Was there a reason he was a 9 year minor leaguer?

Iguchi- The name says it all...can he play in the USA

Dye- Classic case of "Well if he". The best palyer in the AL in a few years ago needs to prove his worth again, and stay healthy

Frank/Carl- Can both of these guys come back from injuries and be in shape and produce like we know they can?

Rowand- Can he do it again? Can he avoid the slow start? With all these games against the AL central in April, he can't afford a slow start

AJ- Can he stay out of the corner?

Uribe- Like Rowand, can he do it again? Can he avoid the cold streak he had in the crucial months last year?

Crede- Do I even need to say it?

Garcia- Lets face it, he is talented, but his numbers haven't been lights out the last couple years.

Contreras/El Duque/Garland- Well we all know about these possible problems

Shingo- Has that frisbee turned into a beach ball?

I hate to sound negative and I hope this all comes together because if it does, we are out for one helluva summer...but these are the things that I worry about as a realistic fan.

You're not really wrong with anything you're saying. I've thought about everyone one these things.

chisoxmike
02-09-2005, 10:27 PM
I think we're going to live and die with our pitching staff. If they fail, we will. We won't be able to win a lot of 10-8, 12-9 games this season.

PAPChiSox729
02-09-2005, 10:33 PM
I understand your concerns. And frankly, I am a bit concerned also. With four major question marks in the lineup (Pods, Iguchi, Dye, and Crede) and others with just some recent success, I would get my hopes up that high. I do think though, that Buehrle and Garcia will both have very, very good years. Garland will give us 12 to 14 wins, and Contreas and El Duque should be serviceable. After rethinking the current situation, I am not ready to declare us real contenders in the AL.

batmanZoSo
02-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Whatever. I say we're just due. Everything will fall into place. We finally have a complete rotation, we have a better bullpen, we have a lot more speed and depth, we won't strike out as much, we won't pop up as much, we shouldn't slump as hard or as often, and we won't rely on home runs. We basically fixed every problem the team had.

Our what ifs are no different from any other team's. And a lot less severe than most.